Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Titleist Prototype Testing

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#31 Old Hack

Old Hack

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171394
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

View PostFromthetrees, on 12 October 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

Here are pics of mine compared to an older PRO V1.  I don't know which year the Pro V1 is, but i thought y'all like to see the difference in the dimple size and pattern of the test versus the Pro V1.  Hoping to get a round in next week with the test ball.  I'm a 17.7 handicap, so it will be interesting to see how my round with the ball compares to the lower handicap folks who have already given a review.

Attachment photo-1.JPG

Attachment photo-3.JPG
Is it my imagination, or does this prototye have the same dimple pattern as the old DT Carry? Only you guys on the list can tell us that. Thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,417 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1133

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

Recieved a sleeve of prototype Titleist Test balls in the mail today. I am playing tomorrow. I will report back and give a review after my round. Mine have the RED #1's and BLACK Titleist & TEST.  After closer inspection I can see the letters C & A stamped into some of the dimples. I did the best I could to get some shots of it for you.

Attached Thumbnails

• test1.jpg
  • tit5.jpg
  • tit4.jpg
  • tit3.jpg
  • tit2.jpg
  • tit1.jpg

Edited by Kadin 25, 27 October 2012 - 10:01 PM.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
Editor Product Reviews
Product Tester/Review Panel
Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
See ya on the green...Kadin

#33 rymail00

rymail00

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50849
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:rymail00
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

looks like a prov1x
TM SLDR 9.5į ilima 70s
NIKE VRS 15' FRWY FUBUKI STIFF
CLEVELAND HALO 25' STOCK STIFF
ADAMS PRO A12 5-GW KBS STIFF
TP MILLS SOFTTAIL
SCRATCH 1018, 54' & 58'

#34 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 5,417 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

View Postfeedlotdoc, on 20 October 2012 - 07:39 PM, said:

I got mine and finally tried them today.  Wow...soft is not the right word.  My first putt was an OMG moment.  I play the srixon xv yellow, I thinned a 50* wedge into number 9 today with both balls.  The test ball backed up 3 ft, the xv rolled off the green.  I was impressed with the durability.  I hit a tree and then a cart path on the same shot, no scuff mark.  I do have one problem, my wife threw away my card to do the review.  Where can i get a copy of the url?
If you had the RED #'S the url that I got for them is   survey.titleist.com/s3/titleistprototype2

Edited by Kadin 25, 27 October 2012 - 10:12 PM.

Editor Product Reviews

#35 Treykook

Treykook

Digging it out of the dirt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85677
  • Ebay ID:Treykook
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

I got the V1x, and the first thing I noticed was the difference in the covers. The test ball is much crisper in detail than a brand-new 2012 ball (I'll edit to add photos when the battery charges). Better molding process? Different cover material? The edges of the dimples are definitely more defined and not as rounded as a 2012 ball. It even feels different.

Edit: Photo added. Notice the similar dimple pattern, but notice how much sharper the edges are compared to the 2012 V1x on the right.DSC_9812.JPG

Edited by Treykook, 28 October 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#36 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 5,417 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

Player: Handicap Index: 8.3 (Over 75 Rounds) Driver Club Head Speed: 106-110 mph

Conditions: Partly Cloudy Temperature: 43* Wind: 10-15 MPH

Course Conditions: Semi-Wet

Fairways: Soft and Freshly Cut

Greens: Firm

Ball #1 Titleist Prototype TEST Red #1’s
Ball #2 Titleist Pro V1x (Current Model)

Drivers, Fairway Woods and Hybrids

Distance: Both balls were fairly close to the same distance for me. The big difference between the two was into the wind. The TEST ball was 7-10 yards longer into the wind on every shot. This is by far the best wind ball I have ever played.

Forgiveness: I am not going to comment on Side Spin without real numbers. So I am calling this segment “forgiveness”. I would give the TEST ball a slight edge over the Pro V1x. Miss hits (pulls/hooks are my swing fault) still found the fairway. Even on shots that I thought would end up in the left rough managed to stay in the short grass.

Feel: TEST ball was much softer feeling than the Pro V1x. The TEST ball felt unbelievably soft, softer than any other ball I have ever hit. It reminded me of the old Balata but not mushy at all.

Sound: The TEST ball was sub sonic! It sounded like I hit it with a pillow it was so quiet.

Long and Mid Irons

Distance: The TEST ball out performed the Pro V1x on all long iron shots when it came to distance. The ball flight was more piercing and on average was 4-7 yards longer.

Feel: The TEST ball wins hands down and feels much softer than the Pro V1x.

Sound: Quite as a mouse.

Spin: LONG IRONS The TEST ball appears to create some spin on the long irons, though not a lot but enough to hold greens better than the Pro V1x.

Spin: MID IRONS The TEST ball held greens much better than the Pro V1x. The TEST ball would one hop and stop or spin back when I put a little extra on it as apposed to the Pro V1x which would hit and release. *Keep in mind the greens were firm today.

Forgiveness: The TEST ball was more forgiving. I tried to push fade a few and the ball held the target line better than the Pro V1x.

Short Irons and Wedges

This is where the TEST ball truly shines. I found this to be the easiest ball to control spin and distance all around the green. It out performed the Pro V1x in every aspect of the short game. I was able to perform any short game shot that I needed, spinning the ball back, checking up or just one hop and stops. The Pro V1x is an excellent short game ball but no where near as good as the TEST ball was.

Putter

The TEST ball may be the smoothest rolling ball I have ever seen. The best way I can describe it is…it’s like a marble rolling on glass. You really need to see it to believe it. It rolls as soon as the putter made contact. The Pro V1x actually felt heavier off the face after putting with the TEST ball. The hardest thing to get use to is how quiet and soft the ball is off the putter. It takes a little getting use to at first. The TEST ball rolled very true to it’s line. I don’t want to say putting was effortless but it sure made it easier for me.

Side Notes

The TEST ball was better out of the rough and was easier to get spin with.
Bunker shots the TEST ball checked up quicker than the Pro V1x.
I could not get the TEST ball to balloon at all. I even had had some members from the course take a swing at it and we all agreed the ball just wants to bore through the wind.

In Conclusion

This may very well be the best ball I have ever played. I never thought you could really get much better than the tour balls that are on the market today. It’s like they took the best attributes from each ball and put them into this one.

Unfortunately this ball is going to fall into the $45.00 a dozen range. With that said, it will be a great ball for competition or when money is on the line. But as far as casual rounds I don’t use top tier balls. So in this case I feel it to be wise to have a sleeve of these in your bag for when the situation of a friendly wager is on the line and stick to your level two ball for casual weekend fun rounds.

The TEST ball FAILS in one category, durability. It is no different than any other Pro V model before it. I had gill marks after one ¾ 52* wedge shot. On a plus side the scuffs and marks didn’t seem to have much of an affect on performance, but then again I don’t have laser like accuracy where I could really say it threw my game off. This may only affect the less than 1% or +4 handicaps out there. When it comes to longevity the Srixon line beats this ball hands down. I really wish Titleist would address this issue with their tour line of balls. This is one of the main reasons I don’t play their top tier ball.

I grade the TEST ball as a SOLID A the only issue holding back an A+ is the durability/longevity factor.

SIDE BAR

If any one wants to trade a BLACK #’s ball for one of my RED #‘s ball shoot me a PM. Mine do have typical wear on them and my mark, they are still good enough get a feel for how this ball performs. I am very curious to see how the black #’s perform compared to the RED #’s.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0000000001.jpg
  • 000000001.jpg

Edited by Kadin 25, 28 October 2012 - 10:07 PM.

Editor Product Reviews

#37 Dscvrr St Louis

Dscvrr St Louis

#CALLAWRX 12/12/12

• 3,346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105250
  • Handicap:4-6
GolfWRX Likes : 353

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

Good write up man.  I found that I would eat up Titleist balls consistently with normal swings and I don't take big divots at all.  I cannot see spending that kind of money on balls that will be used up after a couple of holes... I hit my gap wedge alot into par 4's.  Would just love to see something more durable to try.

WIll be interesting to see if they raise the price to $49.99...that would be obscene.
Big Bertha Alpha, Veylix Rome Wildeye
Big Bertha 15&18 Motore Speeder 8.1x
X2Hot 22*, F3 HB 95s
--On Order
Odyssey Versa #6 & MXM #6
Callaway 2013 MD2 52 & 58 Ctaper S+

#38 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 5,417 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

View PostDscvrr St Louis, on 28 October 2012 - 10:11 PM, said:

Good write up man.  I found that I would eat up Titleist balls consistently with normal swings and I don't take big divots at all.  I cannot see spending that kind of money on balls that will be used up after a couple of holes... I hit my gap wedge alot into par 4's.  Would just love to see something more durable to try.

WIll be interesting to see if they raise the price to $49.99...that would be obscene.
Thanks!! Yea I think the biggest down side to this ball is going to be price.
Editor Product Reviews

#39 OspreyCI

OspreyCI

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108024
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

View PostKadin 25, on 28 October 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

Player: Handicap Index: 8.3 (Over 75 Rounds) Driver Club Head Speed: 106-110 mph

Ball #1 Titleist Prototype TEST Red #1ís

Distance: Both balls were fairly close to the same distance for me. The big difference between the two was into the wind. The TEST ball was 7-10 yards longer into the wind on every shot. This is by far the best wind ball I have ever played.

Forgiveness: I am not going to comment on Side Spin without real numbers. So I am calling this segment ďforgivenessĒ. I would give the TEST ball a slight edge over the Pro V1x. Miss hits (pulls/hooks are my swing fault) still found the fairway. Even on shots that I thought would end up in the left rough managed to stay in the short grass.

Feel: TEST ball was much softer feeling than the Pro V1x. The TEST ball felt unbelievably soft, softer than any other ball I have ever hit. It reminded me of the old Balata but not mushy at all.

Sound: The TEST ball was sub sonic! It sounded like I hit it with a pillow it was so quiet.

Long and Mid Irons

Distance: The TEST ball out performed the Pro V1x on all long iron shots when it came to distance. The ball flight was more piercing and on average was 4-7 yards longer.

Spin: LONG IRONS The TEST ball appears to create some spin on the long irons, though not a lot but enough to hold greens better than the Pro V1x.

Spin: MID IRONS The TEST ball held greens much better than the Pro V1x. The TEST ball would one hop and stop or spin back when I put a little extra on it as apposed to the Pro V1x which would hit and release. *Keep in mind the greens were firm today.

Forgiveness: The TEST ball was more forgiving. I tried to push fade a few and the ball held the target line better than the Pro V1x.

Short Irons and Wedges

This is where the TEST ball truly shines. I found this to be the easiest ball to control spin and distance all around the green. It out performed the Pro V1x in every aspect of the short game. I was able to perform any short game shot that I needed, spinning the ball back, checking up or just one hop and stops. The Pro V1x is an excellent short game ball but no where near as good as the TEST ball was.

Putter

The TEST ball may be the smoothest rolling ball I have ever seen. The best way I can describe it isÖitís like a marble rolling on glass. You really need to see it to believe it. It rolls as soon as the putter made contact. The Pro V1x actually felt heavier off the face after putting with the TEST ball. The hardest thing to get use to is how quiet and soft the ball is off the putter. It takes a little getting use to at first. The TEST ball rolled very true to itís line. I donít want to say putting was effortless but it sure made it easier for me.

Side Notes

I could not get the TEST ball to balloon at all. I even had had some members from the course take a swing at it and we all agreed the ball just wants to bore through the wind.

In Conclusion

This may very well be the best ball I have ever played. I never thought you could really get much better than the tour balls that are on the market today. Itís like they took the best attributes from each ball and put them into this one.

Unfortunately this ball is going to fall into the $45.00 a dozen range. With that said, it will be a great ball for competition or when money is on the line. But as far as casual rounds I donít use top tier balls. So in this case I feel it to be wise to have a sleeve of these in your bag for when the situation of a friendly wager is on the line and stick to your level two ball for casual weekend fun rounds.

The TEST ball FAILS in one category, durability. It is no different than any other Pro V model before it. I had gill marks after one ¾ 52* wedge shot. On a plus side the scuffs and marks didnít seem to have much of an affect on performance, but then again I donít have laser like accuracy where I could really say it threw my game off. This may only affect the less than 1% or +4 handicaps out there. When it comes to longevity the Srixon line beats this ball hands down. I really wish Titleist would address this issue with their tour line of balls. This is one of the main reasons I donít play their top tier ball.

I grade the TEST ball as a SOLID A the only issue holding back an A+ is the durability/longevity factor.

SIDE BAR

If any one wants to trade a BLACK #ís ball for one of my RED #Ďs ball shoot me a PM. Mine do have typical wear on them and my mark, they are still good enough get a feel for how this ball performs. I am very curious to see how the black #ís perform compared to the RED #ís.
Thanks for taking the time to do such a detailed write up and comparison. As a Pro V1x player, I am looking forward to next years version. It sounds like everything I wanted out of the current version they fixed in the next. Thanks.
PING i25 9.5 UST Elements Chrome
Callaway XHP 15* Fubuki Ax
PING G25 20 & 23* Hyrbid
PING G25 5-UW
Murdered TM Spider
Callaway MD2's 56/60

#40 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 5,417 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

@OspreyCI

Thanks! I hope this info helps out.

Editor Product Reviews

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 schneidm10

schneidm10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178828
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

I agree with the most of the reviews on here. Little lower trajectory but a little softer than previous models. I liked the amount of spin on irons but I seemed to have a little more off the driver than the current ball that I'm using. (Nike One Tour D) Still, I think it is an improvement on the old Pro Vs, which is amazing considering how great they already are.

Edited by schneidm10, 29 October 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#42 RighttoLeft

RighttoLeft

From the Cheap Seats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5556
  • Handicap:9.3
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

View Postpdaero, on 26 October 2012 - 11:38 PM, said:

Man, I want to get them this year. I was on the test panel last time, and sure hope I get them again this year! Sounds like an amazing ball.

I am sure you will. I was also on the last test panel and my sleeve of V1X test balls showed up in the mail today.

#43 just win

just win

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151175
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

I thought it launched higher and had slightly less spin unitl you got down to the wedges.
I25 W/ AD BB 7
Anser 14.5 w/ Ad DI 8
S55 w/ C taper
Gorge 50, 54, & 58 w/ C taper
Z Star XV
Tr Shea

#44 pdaero

pdaero

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56310
  • Handicap:1.4
  • Ebay ID:pdhch85
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

View PostMDCallaway, on 27 October 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

Did they tell you what ball you tested when it released then?

No, but I assumed it was the X because of the red number. RighttoLeft - I received mine today, finally (and thank goodness)! Really looking forward to hitting it but am really interested in the new ProV1 as it might be perfect if it spins a little less. I need to go my testing now to see how it performs! Really enjoyed reading y'all's reviews.
PING Rapture V2 9* w/ XVS6
PING i15 15.5* 3 wood w/ Tour Only XDV8
PING 20* i15 w/ Ozik Altus Hybrid X
Mizuno MP32 3-P w/ SS'd KBS Tour X
Vokey SM4 TVD 53*, 58* w/ S400
PING Anser Milled 0 34"

#45 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 5,417 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

View Postpdaero, on 31 October 2012 - 09:20 PM, said:

View PostMDCallaway, on 27 October 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

Did they tell you what ball you tested when it released then?

No, but I assumed it was the X because of the red number. RighttoLeft - I received mine today, finally (and thank goodness)! Really looking forward to hitting it but am really interested in the new ProV1 as it might be perfect if it spins a little less. I need to go my testing now to see how it performs! Really enjoyed reading y'all's reviews.
Thanks!

Editor Product Reviews

#46 Banker

Banker

Tour Winner

• 505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54006
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

prototype ball.jpg

Got this surprise in the mail today!  After reading these reviews I can't wait to get out this weekend.  I was planning on taking Saturday to wash the truck & watch football, but now..... I think my plans have changed.....

#47 pureroll

pureroll

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77995
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

I got mine today in the mail  Red 1s with Test.   Can't wait to try this weekend.  Are these legal for tournament play?   I have the state interclub match play finals next weekend, I may break them out for this tournament.

#48 AJB12

AJB12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140911
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

I did my test today with the red numbered test. I compared it to the last eat prov1x version. They were the the same  distance all around. It felt harder on all shots. It spun a lot less around the green. Also on full shots I couldn't get it to come back. They didn't last long at all, they were chewed up after two holes. All around I feel that it was a worse ball than the previous model.

Edited by AJB12, 01 November 2012 - 05:45 PM.

#49 TMelectric

TMelectric

Captain Admiral

• 515 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209313
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

View PostKadin 25, on 28 October 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

Ball #1 Titleist Prototype TEST Red #1’s

Forgiveness: I am not going to comment on Side Spin without real numbers. So I am calling this segment “forgiveness”. I would give the TEST ball a slight edge over the Pro V1x. Miss hits (pulls/hooks are my swing fault) still found the fairway. Even on shots that I thought would end up in the left rough managed to stay in the short grass.

Long and Mid Irons

Short Irons and Wedges

Putter

The TEST ball may be the smoothest rolling ball I have ever seen. The best way I can describe it is…it’s like a marble rolling on glass. You really need to see it to believe it. It rolls as soon as the putter made contact. The Pro V1x actually felt heavier off the face after putting with the TEST ball. The hardest thing to get use to is how quiet and soft the ball is off the putter. It takes a little getting use to at first. The TEST ball rolled very true to it’s line. I don’t want to say putting was effortless but it sure made it easier for me.

Side Notes

In Conclusion

This may very well be the best ball I have ever played. I never thought you could really get much better than the tour balls that are on the market today. It’s like they took the best attributes from each ball and put them into this one.

Unfortunately this ball is going to fall into the $45.00 a dozen range. With that said, it will be a great ball for competition or when money is on the line. But as far as casual rounds I don’t use top tier balls. So in this case I feel it to be wise to have a sleeve of these in your bag for when the situation of a friendly wager is on the line and stick to your level two ball for casual weekend fun rounds.

The TEST ball FAILS in one category, durability. It is no different than any other Pro V model before it. I had gill marks after one ¾ 52* wedge shot. On a plus side the scuffs and marks didn’t seem to have much of an affect on performance, but then again I don’t have laser like accuracy where I could really say it threw my game off. This may only affect the less than 1% or +4 handicaps out there. When it comes to longevity the Srixon line beats this ball hands down. I really wish Titleist would address this issue with their tour line of balls. This is one of the main reasons I don’t play their top tier ball.

SIDE BAR

If any one wants to trade a BLACK #’s ball for one of my RED #‘s ball shoot me a PM. Mine do have typical wear on them and my mark, they are still good enough get a feel for how this ball performs. I am very curious to see how the black #’s perform compared to the RED #’s.

Thank you for taking the time to inform us on the new balls. What you said about the new ball is great news to my ears.
Titleist 913d3.
Titleist 913 3 wood 15* / Diamana Shaft
714 AP2's 3-W
SC California Sonoma
Vokey SM4 50*, 56*, 60*

#50 TC-When

TC-When

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116259
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

View Postpureroll, on 01 November 2012 - 05:24 PM, said:

I got mine today in the mail  Red 1s with Test.   Can't wait to try this weekend.  Are these legal for tournament play?   I have the state interclub match play finals next weekend, I may break them out for this tournament.

according to a post i read on team titleist, these test balls ARE conforming to the rules, BUT they are NOT on the conforming list for the usga...they specifically said don't use them for tournament play

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#51 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 5,417 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

View PostAJB12, on 01 November 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

I did my test today with the red numbered test. I compared it to the last eat prov1x version. They were the the same  distance all around. It felt harder on all shots. It spun a lot less around the green. Also on full shots I couldn't get it to come back. They didn't last long at all, they were chewed up after two holes. All around I feel that it was a worse ball than the previous model.
Really?? Wow! It was just the opposite for me. I guess not all balls are the same for everyone.
Editor Product Reviews

#52 golfjuice

golfjuice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56751
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

would love to get my hands on these...You guys have me all pumped up. LOL

#53 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 5,417 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

I have to admit, this is ignorant at best. If you didn't want to test the equipment then don't sign up for it. I know it's a free world, but this is pretty low in my eyes. Just saying.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item232397f050
Editor Product Reviews

#54 dunn

dunn

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124833
GolfWRX Likes : 148

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

Played pro v1x for 3 holes today(test ball)

My buddy got some and I thought it was good...... Very similar to current version, also Lil more durable it seems

Havnt read anything on it yet or what improvements are suppose to be ....

Maybe a Lil longer off tee and more durable.... Spin seemed same though I didn't hit a ton of wedges with it

#55 erock9174

erock9174

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
  • Handicap:14.8
GolfWRX Likes : 66

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

Anyone think these test balls might be a competitor of the cally hex chrome in the $35 range?  Or are these definitely the top tier replacement?

Ping G25 Miyazaki JDL5R
Ping K15 3w Diamana S+
Exotics Trilogy 3h/4h/5h
Ping G25 6i-LW
Odyssey Versa 7

#56 Matty T

Matty T

Keen to give it a pump

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193348
  • Ebay ID:mtheobald-us

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

View PostKadin 25, on 02 November 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

I have to admit, this is ignorant at best. If you didn't want to test the equipment then don't sign up for it. I know it's a free world, but this is pretty low in my eyes. Just saying.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item232397f050

That is pretty low. I hope no one purchases those from that guy.

On a side note i did recieve a test sleeve of the ProV1 friday. Hoping to get out tomorrow and do some testing.

Edited by Matty T, 04 November 2012 - 09:41 AM.

Titleist 910D3 10.5* VTS Silver 7X
Titleist 910F 15* VTS Silver 7X
Titleist 910H 21* VTS Red 100X
Adams CMB 3-P, SM4 50.12* DG X100's
54.11*, 58.08* DG S400
Scotty Cameron Studio select Newport 2
WITB Link

#57 Tread

Tread

• 171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166587
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

View Posterock9174, on 03 November 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

Anyone think these test balls might be a competitor of the cally hex chrome in the $35 range?  Or are these definitely the top tier replacement?

The red number ball is basically identical to the current version of the ProV1X. If it is a cheaper ball then I will be switching to it.
Taylormade R1 w/ Fujikura MS 6.2 TS
Titliest 910 Hybrid w/ Fujikura Kamo
Mizuno 3-PW MP59 w/ TT Monaco
Mizuno MP-R12 (50, 55, 60) w/ X100
SC Golo

#58 68kicks

68kicks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68715
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

got a sleeve of the black #'s and a buddy and I played them last weekend.
My impression was that they are lower trajectory and very low spin off the driver.  Shots into the wind were noticiably longer (20yds ish) than my normal ball.  Shots down wind seemed to knuckle and not carry as far.  I would have loved to hit these with a higher lofted driver.
The differientator for me was a down wind wedge shot from the rough that stopped on a dime.
I have to say, if this is a ball they are going to put into production, I would love to buy some.

#59 tdub526

tdub526

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44490
  • Ebay ID:tdub526
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

photo.JPG

After a long, and crappy day at work I came home and found these in my mail box. Pretty stoked as I have missed out on the previous test cycles. Will play them with the current Prov1x as well as the Hex Black and I'll let you all know.

#60 Matty T

Matty T

Keen to give it a pump

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193348
  • Ebay ID:mtheobald-us

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

Kadin 25 I liked your review and the layout of it. If you dont mind I am going to use your's as a templet. If it is a problem please let me know and I will remove it.

Player: Handicap Index: 10

Driver Club Head Speed: 110-112 mph

Conditions: Sunny Temperature: 75* Wind: 20 MPH and Gusty

Course Conditions: Dry

Fairways: Soft and tightly mown

Greens: Firm (12 on the stimp)

My Ball:  Titleist Prov1X
Prototype: Titleist Pro V1

Distance: I like the prototype off of the the Driver and the 3W. Softer sound and seemed like it spun less than recent Prov1 balls. To the eye it spun about the same as my current Prov1X. On a side note I couldn't get either one of my balls to balloon on higher shots into the wind, both mine and the Prototype ball continued to bore through the wind.

Forgiveness: Didn't notice anything over my current ball.

Feel: The prototype did feel softer.

Sound: Was noticeably quieter.

Long and Mid Irons

Distance: Same as my Prov1x

Feel: I didnt notice much difference in feel.

Sound: Was quieter.

Spin: Wasn't able to get a good feel for the spin with my long irons due to the wind and hitting so many low shots.

Forgiveness: Nothing noticeable over my current Prov1X

Short Irons and Wedges : Was holding greens very well, but couldnt get the ball to spin back (can do it well with my current Prov1x). On short wedge shots inside of 20yds the Prototype seemed like it didnt want to one hop stop quite as much as my Prov1X.

Putter :Rolled very nicely just like my current ball.

My conclusion:
The prototype was a good ball, the durability was better compared to my current model. The spin off of the Driver and woods and around the green was down partially, I think due to a firmer cover trying to satisfy thos who are displeased with the current wear rate.
I did like the sound of the new ball alot!
Over all I think  I will be sticking with my current Prov1X. I am going to do some more testing on another day when there isn't so much wind.

Edited by Matty T, 12 November 2012 - 09:06 AM.

Titleist 910D3 10.5* VTS Silver 7X
Titleist 910F 15* VTS Silver 7X
Titleist 910H 21* VTS Red 100X
Adams CMB 3-P, SM4 50.12* DG X100's
54.11*, 58.08* DG S400
Scotty Cameron Studio select Newport 2
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors