Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Titleist Prototype Testing

70 replies to this topic

#1 CannonAtShort23

CannonAtShort23

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124420
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

Went down to the mailroom at school today to find a nice surprise in my mailbox! Titleist sent me 3 of the new ProV1 Prototype golf balls to test out  I figure after a long day of studying for midterms today I'll go out and play some golf tomorrow. I'll write a review of what I think of them and post some pictures also after my round

REVIEW AND PICTURES AT BOTTOM OF PAGE! :D

Edited by CannonAtShort23, 11 October 2012 - 03:18 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 tmgolf25

tmgolf25

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101412
  • Ebay ID:b1gg2594
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

I also received mine. I really liked them. Good distance from the driver and for me the perfect spin around the greens. Can't wait wait until they come out!
Titleist 909 D2 9.5*
Nike Vr LE 15*
Nike Covert Tour 3 Hybrid
Titleist 714 AP2 4-P
Nike Method 005
Titleist SM4 52/58

#3 03trdblack

03trdblack

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3549
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

Just got mine yesterday in the mail also.  Plan to play them this weekend and report back.  The first problem I have with them is they aren't yellow....

#4 cfgolf

cfgolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35213
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

Where did you sign up to get these?

#5 jabroni23

jabroni23

I understand the way this game is played....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76647
  • Ebay ID:jabroni231
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

I received mine as well, but won't get to use them until this weekend.

Cobra ZLE 9.5 w/ UST Mamiya Attas T2 6x
Callaway X Hot Pro 15* w/ Matrix Code 8x
Nike VR Pro LE 19* 5W w/ Kuro Kage 80x
Mizuno MP H4 4-PW w/ True Temper DG X100
Mizuno MP-R12 50*,54*,60* w/ DG X100
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna 2

#6 jwo

jwo

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,213 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30639
  • Ebay ID:nitrofanatic
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

Got mine yesterday. Mine have red numbers and my buddies have black numbers. Anyone know if they are ProV1's and ProV1X's?
Nike CT 2.0 KK tini s
PING G15 15* Project X black
PING I15 20*/ TFC 800 s
Titleist 735cm 5-pw s300/AP2 712 4 iron
Vokey TVD M 52*/Ping Tour W 56-60
Odyssey White Ice 1

#7 Vinny Nguyen

Vinny Nguyen

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135203
  • Ebay ID:vinh.t.nguyen
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

I got a sleeve of black numbers with black lettering.  Im assuming I got pro v1 and the red numbers are v1x. Can't wait to get them out there!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 MATEUSZEK

MATEUSZEK

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182754
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

I'm jealous... =(

#9 Fromthetrees

Fromthetrees

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139451
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

received mine yesterday as well!  Can't wait till i can play....have to work this weekend:  :fool: :(

#10 tagermo

tagermo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8116
  • Ebay ID:tagermo

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

I recieved mine with Red numbers on Monday and tested them yesterday. Soft feel like a ProV1 but more boring trajectory but good spin around the greens. Really liked the ball flight but the ball felt softer than proV1 off the putter face.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 CannonAtShort23

CannonAtShort23

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

Alright guys. Finally found some time to do this. Went out tuesday and played 18 at The Oaks in Madison. It's a links style course and pretty open so it's usually windy. Winds were blowing a good 15 to 20 mph here on tuesday so it was a good test for the new ball. I ended up shooting 4 over 75 which I was happy with since I hadn't golfed in over a month and the winds were blowin pretty good. (I'm a 2 handicap) To do this I'm just gonna list categories and tell you what I thought about how the ball performed.

Off the tee: This thing is LONG! I tested it next to last year's Prov1's on all the par 5's. I was averaging 12 more yards with the test ball than the old ProVs, and it felt great off the face of the club.

Irons: One thing I like about the Oaks is it has some long par 4's and long par 3s, so I got to hit a decent amount of long irons. The test ball had a more penetrating ball flight for me than the older model, but still had plenty of spin to hold the greens. The 17th hole is a 215 yard par 3. I hit a 4 iron with a great penetrating ball flight which landed about 15 feet from the pin and ended up about 5 feet from the cup. With the scoring irons I was impressed with the ballflight too. The test ball never ballooned on me and always had a ton of spin.

Wedges: The test ball and older model were about the same spin wise. I could stop it on a dime or bring it back a little if I needed to. I would say spin wise around the green they are very close, but to have the ball flight that I did off of the long irons AND keep the spin around the greens was impressive.

Putter: Damn this ball is soft. It felt great off the putter face and got rolling right away. I hit a 40 footer off the fringe on the 3rd hole and it just felt solid off the face and started rolling right away.

Overall I loved the new ball. I have been going back and forth between ProV1's and Penta TP5's all year long, but once these new ProVs come out there will be no doubt in my mind which ball I will play.

Attached Thumbnails

• ky.jpg
  • ky2.jpg

Edited by CannonAtShort23, 11 October 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#12 jastac

jastac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10936
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

My first impression w the PV1 proto black # was a little different than cannons review. Im a 5 hcp and Off the tee I play a slight draw, and I had to really hold off my release to control this ball off the tee. For me the distance was good, about the same, but the side spin was off the chart when I really went after it. It's feel was very soft compared to the PV1 on all shots. Where the new ball really shined was out of the rough! I hit two hybrids and two 3 woods out of thick rough and the new ball came out like a low rocket knuckle ball that just cut the wind like no other ball I've played. I also hit two 8 irons from 140 yd uphill out of deep rough and the ball jumps off the face and checked on the green and sat a ft from its pitch mark, the old ball same shot rolled out 8ft. Around the green the proto had a little more spin and feels a lot softer than its predecessor. Not better or worse just different. Now when it comes to putting the new ball is in a league of its own...I couldn't feel the ball skip of the blade at all, after impact it starts to roll right away. I made two 12ft birdies putts that I didn't think I put good roll on but when in. The other thing I noticed was that the new ball makes almost no sound off the putter, and feels twice as soft as the old ball off the blade. I'm not sure I'm as in love this ball as much as some other reviewers but it deff has some nice attributes. I'll be anxious to try the new PV1x to see if it has less ss off the driver and the same feel as this ball, if it does it think I will have found my gamer.

Edited by jastac, 11 October 2012 - 06:08 PM.

Titleist 913D / GD Tour AD DI7s
TM RBZ 15* Diamana BB
Titleist 910H 19* 21* Diamana Kai'li
Titleist 714 AP2 5 - PW
Vokey SM 48* 52* 58*
Cameron Studio Stainless NP2

#13 CannonAtShort23

CannonAtShort23

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

I didn't really notice that. I'm not arguing with you about the side spin issue, but I didn't really notice that. I'm a 2 handicap and work the ball both ways off the tee and never really lost one too far right or left. Good review though!

View Postjastac, on 11 October 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

My first impression w the PV1 proto black # was a little different than cannons review. Im a 5 hcp and Off the tee I play a slight draw, and I had to really hold off my release to control this ball off the tee. For me the distance was good, about the same, but the side spin was off the chart when I really went after it. It's feel was very soft compared to the PV1 on all shots. Where the new ball really shined was out of the rough! I hit two hybrids and two 3 woods out of thick rough and the new ball came out like a low rocket knuckle ball that just cut the wind like no other ball I've played. I also hit two 8 irons from 140 yd uphill out of deep rough and the ball jumps off the face and checked on the green and sat a ft from its pitch mark, the old ball same shot rolled out 8ft. Around the green the proto had a little more spin and feels a lot softer than its predecessor. Not better or worse just different. Now when it comes to putting the new ball is in a league of its own...I couldn't feel the ball skip of the blade at all, after impact it starts to roll right away. I made two 12ft birdies putts that I didn't think I put good roll on but when in. The other thing I noticed was that the new ball makes almost no sound off the putter, and feels twice as soft as the old ball off the blade. I'm not sure I'm as in love this ball as much as some other reviewers but it deff has some nice attributes. I'll be anxious to try the new PV1x to see if it has less ss off the driver and the same feel as this ball, if it does it think I will have found my gamer.

#14 SnapFade2

SnapFade2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47267
  • Ebay ID:dj80d6
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

where do i sign up for these guys

#15 gortosi

gortosi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 110027
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostSnapFade2, on 11 October 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

where do i sign up for these guys

Setup an account on Titleist's website and make sure to check you are interested in R&D, I can't remember exactly where it is on there.

I received mine last week, I'm hoping tomorrow might be nice enough to test them out.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0092-1.jpg

#16 Vinny Nguyen

Vinny Nguyen

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135203
  • Ebay ID:vinh.t.nguyen
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

I played 4 holes with my test balls today so my review should be taken with a grain of salt.

My first impression with this ball was that it is verrrrrrry soft. I played this ball with this years prov1 and 20xi-s and have to say its softer than both. You can really feel the ball compress on those full shots.  Distance was about the same as other balls so nothing special there.  Spin with the short game was very nice as every short shot had a nice check to it. This ball could take some getting used to off the putter with how soft it is.  It took me about 30 minutes after my holes on the putting green to get the feel down.  Again these are just first impressions as I only played a handful of holes and didn't warm up before hand.  Gonna get 18 in this weekend in ideal conditions so I'll post more after.

#17 kftgolfer

kftgolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 607
  • Ebay ID:kftgolfer
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

Played the Pro V1X Test ball yesterday vs. my current favorite 2009 Pro V1X. It was 60°F and I had the course to myself so got to do a pretty good comparison.

So far, not that impressed with the TEST ball. They were equal off the tee. No real discernable difference. Off irons the TEST was consistently 1/2 club shorter. Also felt firmer. With half wedge and chip shots the TEST ball did not have as much spin....consistently ran out an extra 6-10 feet.

#18 Fromthetrees

Fromthetrees

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139451

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

Here are pics of mine compared to an older PRO V1.  I don't know which year the Pro V1 is, but i thought y'all like to see the difference in the dimple size and pattern of the test versus the Pro V1.  Hoping to get a round in next week with the test ball.  I'm a 17.7 handicap, so it will be interesting to see how my round with the ball compares to the lower handicap folks who have already given a review.

photo-1.JPG

photo-3.JPG

Edited by Fromthetrees, 12 October 2012 - 04:53 PM.

#19 jastac

jastac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10936
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

View PostCannonAtShort23, on 11 October 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

I didn't really notice that. I'm not arguing with you about the side spin issue, but I didn't really notice that. I'm a 2 handicap and work the ball both ways off the tee and never really lost one too far right or left. Good review though!

View Postjastac, on 11 October 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

I wonder if the black # balls we all received were the same version, or if there is multiple versions of the same ball out to the test group. My servey log in address had a s3 in the address, if that means anything. @cannon,  I also work the ball both ways off the tee and I noticed the same higher side spin when I set up for a cut as well. Side by side with the Current PV1 I would say it produced 10 to 20% more side spin, but I only really noticed it off the tee. I plan on playing in the am and using the test again, I'll see if my opinion changes
Titleist 913D / GD Tour AD DI7s
TM RBZ 15* Diamana BB
Titleist 910H 19* 21* Diamana Kai'li
Titleist 714 AP2 5 - PW
Vokey SM 48* 52* 58*
Cameron Studio Stainless NP2

#20 Will Par

Will Par

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48373
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

Funny how we all get different impressions of what we think are the same ball.  I received the black number (s3 in the survey URL).  I'm a 3 hdcp and thought the ball spun less off the tee than the ProV1 I normally play.  I liked it better off the tee and didn't see much difference otherwise, but I've only played one round with it so far.

This is the first time I've received the test balls.  Do we ever find out for certain what ball we received or are we left to speculate forever?  Will Titleist make any changes to this Prototype before they release the final version in February, based on feedback from the tour players (and our feedback)?  Does Titleist really analyze the feedback they get from from us, or do they send these balls out primarily as just a way to promote the Titleist ball?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 wfwp

wfwp

• 115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71884
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

I just got a sleeve of the Pro V1 test golfballs and will try them Sunday and Wednesday this week.

#22 SHIVAN

SHIVAN

Major Winner

• 2,945 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113964
GolfWRX Likes : 431

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

I got the one with black numbers, and if that's the new V1, then they have an absolute winner on their hands.  Today, it performed so much like the current V1x, but almost all my approaches were with a club length of their pitch mark on the green.  They were long off the tee, and feel from the long irons was incredible.  They hit the fairways running.

#23 feedlotdoc

feedlotdoc

Tour Winner

• 824 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86388
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

I got mine and finally tried them today.  Wow...soft is not the right word.  My first putt was an OMG moment.  I play the srixon xv yellow, I thinned a 50* wedge into number 9 today with both balls.  The test ball backed up 3 ft, the xv rolled off the green.  I was impressed with the durability.  I hit a tree and then a cart path on the same shot, no scuff mark.  I do have one problem, my wife threw away my card to do the review.  Where can i get a copy of the url?

#24 MoaningM

MoaningM

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

received mine yesterday, has anyone else from the UK received any of these?

#25 obsessed_golfer

obsessed_golfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6021

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

I had the red numbers....Pro V1X.....and I loved the way this ball putted!

#26 KrazyTrain18

KrazyTrain18

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207177
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

Can't believe they can improve on the current line, great stuff.  Sadly I'm not a TT member so no balls for me.
913D2 9.5 (UST VTS Red 65)
913F 15 (Diamana S+ 72)
913HD 18 (Diamana S+ 82)
714 AP2 4-PW (DG XP95)
SM5 (50,54,58) (DG S300) Tour Chrome
Scotty Cameron GOLO 5 34''

#27 Brianm423

Brianm423

Beer is good...

• 346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181290
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

Surprised to get these today in the mail as well!  Got home from work with the wife throwing me the small package...had no idea what it was.  I got the red #s.  hopefully I can get out on the course before the rain hits.

#28 pdaero

pdaero

Hall of Fame

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,076 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56310
  • Handicap:1.8
  • Ebay ID:pdhch85
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:38 PM

Man, I want to get them this year. I was on the test panel last time, and sure hope I get them again this year! Sounds like an amazing ball.
TI TMAG R510TP 9* w/ MFS 65
PING i15 15.5* 3 wood w/ Tour Only XDV8
PING 20* i15 w/ Ozik Altus Hybrid X
Mizuno MP32 3-P w/ SS'd KBS Tour X
PING Anser Milled 0 34"
Vokey SM4 TVD 53*, 58* w/ S400

#29 MDCallaway

MDCallaway

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91412
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

View Postpdaero, on 26 October 2012 - 11:38 PM, said:

Man, I want to get them this year. I was on the test panel last time, and sure hope I get them again this year! Sounds like an amazing ball.

Did they tell you what ball you tested when it released then?

#30 cristphoto

cristphoto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

I got mine in the mail yesterday and plan on testing them next week (hope the hurricane doesn't hit my area).

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors