Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

who likes rap music?

184 replies to this topic

#1 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4493

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

OK, so i realize i've started a few threads in the 19th hole recently. But some of the golf talk gets repetitive.

Anyone miss the glory days of rap? I mean from 1990-2000 some pretty amazing stuff was released.

You can tell from my avatar i am a big Wu-Tang fan. My favorite (surprise maybe) was never ODB but the Ghostface Killah. Favorite song ever probably "mighty healthy". I think "shakey dogs" is another awesome one from his later albums. Apollo Kids was great too. Fish aswell...Nobody beat Ghostface when he was really on. But i liked NAS, Biggie aswell. Mobb Deep etc etc.

The Wu was my favorite though. Had all the albums. Probably know every song from that time period by heart.

Anyone miss the old days? You know, before Kanye and Jay Z turned it into pop?

Tom Wishon 919 --9.25* at 44.25 inch
Callaway Xhot Pro 16 hybrid/ PXv
Ping G15 Hybrid w/C Taper
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Ping Eye2 XG 56 and 60 w/KBS Tour
Ping IWI Craze

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • 12,125 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

Listening to "motherless child" right now.  Ahhhhhh Ghost. Takes me back
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Ping IWI Craze

#3 scratchswinger

scratchswinger

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 9,294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37417
GolfWRX Likes : 2376

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

My fav from enter was M E T H O D MAN M E T H O D MAN

#4 Scoots16

Scoots16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 198720
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:20 AM

Listen to Kendrick Lamar he will bring you back to the golden age of rap good kid, m.A.A.d. city is easily the best rap cd of the year.  I mostly listen to the rap that you are talking about, but Kendrick is the truth,  you won't be disappointed trust me.

#5 compton1977

compton1977

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100233
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:36 AM

still to this day i only find myself  listening to hip hop from that era, that's what i grew up with and was what shaped my musical taste. The first ODB album was seriously underrated, Only Built for Cuban Links is in my top 5, Liquid Swords was the biggest sleeper, most like the first Wu album style wise and for me had the best production of them all. The second Mobb Deep album for me was the best though, those guys were 17/18 completely self produced and lyrically amazing, not quite Raekwon or Nas admittedly but the sum of the parts was incredible. Talking of Raekwon and Nas, Eye For An Eye is my favourite track on that album, i remember when they printed the lyrics to Nas's verse in The Source, still can say it off the top of my head now and i'm 35!

Some other notables, Jeru Da Damaga, first album was incredible, the first Keith Allen album was great even if he admitted writing it with a thesaurus by his side. Black Moon's Enta Da Stage, i think it was 25 pounds in one record shop as was never officially released in the UK but after watching the video for Got Ya Open countless times on the box the album was a necessity.

That was the time when hip hop was still finding it's feet, no big record deals, was still seen as an alternative niche style rather than the cash cow it became and as such wasn't seen as a get rich quick method which it was/is, sure some people became very wealthy from it, Dre, Snoop, RZA etc but i think i read that it took 4 years for Illmatic to go Platinum? That really was the time of quality over quantity. Ok, i will put my violin away now...

#6 iH83Putting

iH83Putting

Whiskey Tango Fox!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94591
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:14 AM

I would start my glory days as early as the mid '80s.  My absolute favorite is A Tribe Called Quest.  Honorable mentions to EPMD, Gang Starr, Slick Rick, Eric B. & Rakim.....hell, the list goes on and on.  To answer your question, YES, I miss the glory days of rap.
Driver: Ping I20 9.5*, VTS Silver 7x
FW: TaylorMade R11 15*, Tour AD QT
Driving Iron: TayorMade RBZ 3i
Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-Pw
Wedge: Vokey Forged 52*&56*,SM4 60
Putter: Odyssey WHP #9

#7 M.C.H.

M.C.H.

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119256
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

View PostScoots16, on 27 October 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

Listen to Kendrick Lamar he will bring you back to the golden age of rap good kid, m.A.A.d. city is easily the best rap cd of the year.  I mostly listen to the rap that you are talking about, but Kendrick is the truth,  you won't be disappointed trust me.

The Heist by Macklemore is very good also.
Taylormade RocketBallz Stage 2 Tour 9*
Nike VR Limited Edition 15*
Taylormade RocketBladez Tour 3-P PX 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM3 52*, 60*
Taylormade Rac TP 56*
Scotty Cameron Golo 34"

#8 bigred90gt

bigred90gt

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68580
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

UGK, master p and all the rest of the idiots with no limit, snoop, dre, bone thugs and eminem were about the most I could stomach. I find myself listening to some every now and then, but I'm more of a metal head/roc kind of guy than anything.

#9 J_D

J_D

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132640
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

I like the newer stuff, Tyga, Lil Wayne is alright, Waka Flocka, Big Sean.. I need to get subs in my truck because right now it sounds terrible.

#10 Dr. Shankenstein

Dr. Shankenstein

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121184
  • Ebay ID:mdcmdeal
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

Have always been a Beastie Boys fan. I now got my kiddos listening to them as well. Nothing like a 12yo who knows the lyrics to Paul Revere.

TM SLDR 10.5* Fubuki Alpha 60x5ct
Cally X-Hot 17* 4w stock PxV
Cally X-Hot 22* & 19* stock shafts
Bridgestone J38 DPC 5-P NSPro 1050GH
SnakeEyes 695lz 54*&60* DG spinners
Rife Aussie Mallet/Rife Abaco
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 moegolfer11

moegolfer11

Transylvania University Golf

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75212
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

A$AP Rockey and Kendrick Lamar. Just give them a listen so much better than the new crap in todays hip hop, I honestly cannot stand lil wayne. he is god awful.
Cobra Amp 9.5 Graphite Design AD-DI 6x
Titleist 913 FD Diamana 'Ahina 70x
Taylormade Rescue Tour Aldila RIP 70x
Mizuno MP-68 4-PW Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Select 2
Callaway X Forged 52-56, Vokey TVD 60

#12 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • 12,125 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

View Postcompton1977, on 27 October 2012 - 02:36 AM, said:

still to this day i only find myself  listening to hip hop from that era, that's what i grew up with and was what shaped my musical taste. The first ODB album was seriously underrated, Only Built for Cuban Links is in my top 5, Liquid Swords was the biggest sleeper, most like the first Wu album style wise and for me had the best production of them all. The second Mobb Deep album for me was the best though, those guys were 17/18 completely self produced and lyrically amazing, not quite Raekwon or Nas admittedly but the sum of the parts was incredible. Talking of Raekwon and Nas, Eye For An Eye is my favourite track on that album, i remember when they printed the lyrics to Nas's verse in The Source, still can say it off the top of my head now and i'm 35!

Some other notables, Jeru Da Damaga, first album was incredible, the first Keith Allen album was great even if he admitted writing it with a thesaurus by his side. Black Moon's Enta Da Stage, i think it was 25 pounds in one record shop as was never officially released in the UK but after watching the video for Got Ya Open countless times on the box the album was a necessity.

That was the time when hip hop was still finding it's feet, no big record deals, was still seen as an alternative niche style rather than the cash cow it became and as such wasn't seen as a get rich quick method which it was/is, sure some people became very wealthy from it, Dre, Snoop, RZA etc but i think i read that it took 4 years for Illmatic to go Platinum? That really was the time of quality over quantity. Ok, i will put my violin away now...

My favorite NAS song is "i gave you power", which has some great lyrics. He is a really underappreciated artist because of when he was around. He had the biggie and Tupac drama when he was basically in his prime. It's easy to get forgotten. But everything he put out was very solid

Liquid swords was a great album where every track was basically listenable. And "4th chamber" still ranks among my favorite rap beats ever. I as you might expect given my feelings on Ghost preferred Ironman and would consider that WuTang's best album by an individual member.

First ODB album (my avatar LOL) had some great tracks, of the lesser known ones my favorite is "Damage" which is like a 3 minute long rap battle.

More underrated stuff can be found on the Ghostdog: the way of the samurai soundtrack. There is a song called "sunshower" by the Rza which is incredible. 6 minutes straight of lyrics. And these are RZA lyrics too which says something, the guy rarely wastes a breath or spares a second
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Ping IWI Craze

#13 compton1977

compton1977

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

My favourite on the ODB album was Snakes, sounded like a freestyle battle with some incredibly raw MC's who I never heard again! The best Nas track hands down is NY State of Mind, the Primo beat with Nas flowing on top was crazy, how Jay-z could ever consider himself on that level I'll never know. I have never listened to a whole Ghostface album I always found him to be a good sidekick for Rae but his voice for a whole album, not sure, just has one cadence to his voice. One album that is always slept on is the Big L debut, now that dude could flow, shame he was taken

#14 compton1977

compton1977

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

MTLjeff, what do u think of RZA' s work with Kanye in the last few years? I am in two minds, the beat on Watch the Throne is pretty good but kinda standard thou only he could cut the sample the way he did, just listening to it next to say Incarcerated Scarfaces to me it sounds a bit paint by numbers, what do u think?

#15 Bitz22

Bitz22

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120887
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

View PostDr. Shankenstein, on 27 October 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

Have always been a Beastie Boys fan. I now got my kiddos listening to them as well. Nothing like a 12yo who knows the lyrics to Paul Revere.
My 5 year old knows most of the song.  Every now and then he busts out some Paul Revere, my wife hates it!

#16 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • 12,125 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

View Postcompton1977, on 27 October 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

My favourite on the ODB album was Snakes, sounded like a freestyle battle with some incredibly raw MC's who I never heard again! The best Nas track hands down is NY State of Mind, the Primo beat with Nas flowing on top was crazy, how Jay-z could ever consider himself on that level I'll never know. I have never listened to a whole Ghostface album I always found him to be a good sidekick for Rae but his voice for a whole album, not sure, just has one cadence to his voice. One album that is always slept on is the Big L debut, now that dude could flow, shame he was taken

What's interesting is i never liked Raekwon that much. He was one of my least favorite of the group. I never found many of his songs that memorable and i just didn't dig his more "mafioso" almost west-coastish style of rapping. Everyone has their thing and i'll admit he is one of the most popular guys from Wu-tang, especially with knowledgeable rap fans. Maybe it's just me. I loved Ghostface though. He had a pretty unique style that wasn't for everyone

You know what was a pretty good album too that gets completely lost , is the first Inspectah deck album. 9th Chamber was a really good song, so was the grand prix, movas and shakas too. That album is a sleeper. I read somewhere that he was the 2nd most featured rapper on the "enter the 36" album. Pretty crazy because he was one of the last with a solo album and it got little press. Too bad because he was really good.

I dont really listen to much Kanye unfortunately. Him and Jay z calling themselves rappers makes me very depressed
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Ping IWI Craze

#17 Johnny4379

Johnny4379

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97333
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

Aside from the dude who said waka flaka and tyga, im really impressed with level of hip hop knowledge in here.
There's some solid  responses.
I'm a big fan of old Jay. Reasonable doubt thru the blueprint were all classic.  As far as kanye goes, you can't deny the dudes production skils. all the way from the stuff he did with talib to common's finding forever.
I'm a little suprised Mos Def hasn't gotten a shout out yet , I love that dude.
And I'm a huge fan of MURS

#18 calc61

calc61

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9768
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

Are you kidding me.Rap sucks!Metal rules!! Iknow the haters will bury me but so what.

#19 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 1957

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

View Postdr12, on 27 October 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

Are you kidding me.Rap sucks!Metal rules!! Iknow the haters will bury me but so what.

Yes! This very involved conversation these people are having in this thread has nothing to do with rap music, it's all a clever ruse designed to "kid" you!

#20 Shwagin1066

Shwagin1066

With A Little Draw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13809
  • Handicap:+3.0
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 27 October 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

What's interesting is i never liked Raekwon that much. He was one of my least favorite of the group. I never found many of his songs that memorable and i just didn't dig his more "mafioso" almost west-coastish style of rapping. Everyone has their thing and i'll admit he is one of the most popular guys from Wu-tang, especially with knowledgeable rap fans. Maybe it's just me. I loved Ghostface though. He had a pretty unique style that wasn't for everyone

You know what was a pretty good album too that gets completely lost , is the first Inspectah deck album. 9th Chamber was a really good song, so was the grand prix, movas and shakas too. That album is a sleeper. I read somewhere that he was the 2nd most featured rapper on the "enter the 36" album. Pretty crazy because he was one of the last with a solo album and it got little press. Too bad because he was really good.

I dont really listen to much Kanye unfortunately. Him and Jay z calling themselves rappers makes me very depressed

Jay-Z is unarguable one of the single best rap artists of all time. Some of his early stuff is truly legendary. I agree with lots of what you said but hating on Jay-Z is straight up offensive to the genre.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 gibbyfan

gibbyfan

Do Work Son!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2969
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

I too like to go back to listen to some RAP. I like everything from RUN DMC, Beastie Boys, and then the top like 2Pac, Biggie, Dre, Snoop, NWA, Too Short, etc.

#22 shi shi

shi shi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115063
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

+1 for the Kendrick Lamar post.

#23 compton1977

compton1977

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

It's my opinion, and this is why music is so great, that Jay-Z has been one of the most successful artists of all time, for that i tip my hat to him but greatest is stretching the matter. There are/were many better lyricists than him, (and i don't include 2Pac on that list why was he so reverred??) Big L, Buckshot, O.C, Nas, Prodigy, Raekwon just to name a few, these guys had very little business acumen and as such weren't able to create the aura around themselves that Jay-Z achieved. Heck, if i had 1% of Jay-Z's business skills i would be a contented guy but lyric for lyric i'd take those listed above any day. To me Jay-Z is the Taylormade of the rap world, I am sure that he will read this in the morning and be very concerned!!  

MTLJeff, good point on Inspectah Deck, i was thinking back to Enter the 36 Chambers last night and some of the most memorable verses were from him. He killed C.R.E.A.M. Might haver to Spotify his album as never listened to it.

#24 PedronNiall

PedronNiall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135461
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

View PostShwagin1066, on 27 October 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

View PostMtlJeff, on 27 October 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

Jay-Z is unarguable one of the single best rap artists of all time. Some of his early stuff is truly legendary. I agree with lots of what you said but hating on Jay-Z is straight up offensive to the genre.

Both Jay-Z and Kanye have been hit or miss throughout their career, with a lot of misses. I can't hate on their success, but some of the singles that both have had make it to number one and some of their lines here and there are garbage. One example: Kanye's verse on Kweli's Eardrum album. That said, for some reason when they work together most of their flows come through just right.

Still, Jay-Z will forever have to live with the ignominy of Nas murdering him on "Ether." No question as to which of those two is the better lyricist and who has better delivery.

Shout out to KRS-One for still killing it.

#25 Hype one

Hype one

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18118
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

The early to mid-90's produced some of the best hip hop of all time.  There are countless artists/groups that completely outshine all of the newer acts out there.  For those interested, check out The Rub (www.itstherub.com).  They're NY based DJ's who put together "The History of Hip Hop" mix series.  You want classics...You've got them right there!

Evidently there are more heads on here than I would have thought!

#26 DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan

DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193176
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

Slaughterhouse (Crooked I)- If you ever hear me. It is worth a listen for sure.

Edited by DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan, 28 October 2012 - 02:43 PM.

S9-1 Pro D 9.5 (Tour Prototype 80X Pink)                 Titleist 909 F3 15 (Diamana BB 83x)                 3-PW Miura TB (Nippon NS Pro SPB X flex)                 54* Ping Tour S rustique (KBS Tour)                 60* Vokey SM4 M grind (KBS C taper)                 PING Redwood black satin D66

#27 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
GolfWRX Likes : 409

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

WU Tang, Tribe Called Quest, Eric B and Rakim EPMD man I miss those days.
9.5 9064 Oban Devotion 06
14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
18* IDEA PRO Hybrid the OG
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill
Vokey 52/56/60 200series/TVDK/TVDMgrind
WITB Link

#28 J_D

J_D

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132640
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

"Yes! I love music made by grown men with long hair and tight jeans, especially when they sing about sick and twisted things! Such a wonderful genre which has made a great contribution to the world and I'm glad it's here"

-Said nobody, ever.

#29 onafriday

onafriday

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39284
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

Doesn't get better than Biggie.  

Just doesn't-
i25 9.5* w/ 'ahina
xHot Pro 15* w/ Fubuki K
SLDR TP Hybrid 19*
Royal Collection Tour VS (4-PW) X100
Bettinardi Sig Series #5 w/ Flatso Ultra
Vega 51/55 (Kwok grinds), Vokey 58M

#30 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • 12,125 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

i actually like heavy metal too and won't hate. Depends what kind of mood i'm in. Rap is #1 for me but i appreciate good metal, which for me begins and ends with Metallica. My favorite album is probably ride the lightning, because it's got Call of Ktulu, creeping death, For whom the bell tolls, and fade to black. That's 4 of their best tracks ever on one CD. I like the 4 horsemen from kill'em all aswell.

Creeping death probably my favorite metallica song

Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Ping IWI Craze

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors