Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

and another change

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 78blades

78blades

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59589
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:27 AM

Having been abruptly retired at 63 back in March my golf and life, or visa versa, habits where thrown into chaos. I knew I could swing retirement, but wouldn't be running off to Scotland anytime soon for a golf vacation, let alone out of Portland Or. As time past I realized that this was / is a new evolution in my life. People have told me that this is a 6 to 12 month metamorphous. At 7 months into it I agree, but I believe I'll take all 12 months.
I gotta say the first 6 months were not a little bit, but a whole lot whacky. First was dealing with what to do with the new space in time. Watching lots of TV was 1st, of course, oh I'm a dyed in the wool bachelor so I get to do pretty much whatever I damn well please, then after about after 3 to 4 months that got boring. In that time period is when I brought my particular negative magic to a crescendo so to speak and thereby un-endeared myself to a particular group who play for money. Being a bit of a curmudgeon I thought 'fine" and kept playing golf at the same course, but was just doing 9 with a half bag of clubs. Really good practice and I'll continue to do that.
Do I play better golf now, no; am i going to try and play in that money game anymore, I don't know; will I work on being better company, certainly.
It came home to me this afternoon when I payed my greens fee. The pro who i takes lessons from, at a different where I played today, said something like, "go beat those guys", and of course he meant it in a good & positive way; and being a old jock I appreciate, I thought for a moment, this doesn't happen often, and my reply was, and I don't know where this came from, "I'm learning its not about beating others. Its about being one with yourself". I guess what continually dumbfounds me about golf is what a perfect mirror it is of me, and the closer I look the more precise it seems to be. This should be a very interesting time ahead.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 teespoon

teespoon

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32126
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:31 AM

Enjoy!

You  wrote the truth!

teespoon

#3 inthefairway

inthefairway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90812
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:44 AM

Retirement is great but at first there is an adjustment to get use to in your life as the pattern of your life has now changed.  Took me over a year to finally get used to it, so give it time and it does get better!!!  Good luck to you and enjoy!!!

Edited by inthefairway, 26 October 2012 - 05:45 AM.

#4 78blades

78blades

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

You guys are right, it is getting better. Tks

#5 Vintage1976

Vintage1976

2014 Bag is finally...d'oh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119640
  • Ebay ID:justgolfstuff
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:03 AM

We just love to tell people to "be true to yourself" and "do what makes you happy". Most of us working stiffs dream about doing that, but you sir, have now earned that right. By all means enjoy it!

BioCell+ /
980F / NVS75
BafflerRailH / NVS105
S2Forged / C-Taper
Tricept / ProWhite
SS385

#6 ghalfaire

ghalfaire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159335
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

View Post78blades, on 26 October 2012 - 03:27 AM, said:

Having been abruptly retired at 63 back in March my golf and life, or visa versa, habits where thrown into chaos. I knew I could swing retirement, but wouldn't be running off to Scotland anytime soon for a golf vacation, let alone out of Portland Or. As time past I realized that this was / is a new evolution in my life. People have told me that this is a 6 to 12 month metamorphous. At 7 months into it I agree, but I believe I'll take all 12 months.
I gotta say the first 6 months were not a little bit, but a whole lot whacky. First was dealing with what to do with the new space in time. Watching lots of TV was 1st, of course, oh I'm a dyed in the wool bachelor so I get to do pretty much whatever I damn well please, then after about after 3 to 4 months that got boring. In that time period is when I brought my particular negative magic to a crescendo so to speak and thereby un-endeared myself to a particular group who play for money. Being a bit of a curmudgeon I thought 'fine" and kept playing golf at the same course, but was just doing 9 with a half bag of clubs. Really good practice and I'll continue to do that.
Do I play better golf now, no; am i going to try and play in that money game anymore, I don't know; will I work on being better company, certainly.
It came home to me this afternoon when I payed my greens fee. The pro who i takes lessons from, at a different where I played today, said something like, "go beat those guys", and of course he meant it in a good & positive way; and being a old jock I appreciate, I thought for a moment, this doesn't happen often, and my reply was, and I don't know where this came from, "I'm learning its not about beating others. Its about being one with yourself". I guess what continually dumbfounds me about golf is what a perfect mirror it is of me, and the closer I look the more precise it seems to be. This should be a very interesting time ahead.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Good story.  I too was "retired" earlier than I wanted and while I had played golf  it was probably 10-12 times a year.  But I learned as you did that becoming better is not about beating anyone but rather about controlling yourself and your emotions.  
The other part of my story is that while I enjoyed working, I really like being unemployed and now play 2-3 times a week.  I am thankful I was always an ant and not a grasshopper (apologies to the younger set that probably don't know the story) although I too will not be making many trips to St. Andrews to play golf but I wouldn't go back to work in a large corporation again for all the tea in China.

#7 78blades

78blades

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

ghalfaire--I agree; I liked what I did, but had a hard time with the "corporate mentality" and as time passes its looking like this is one of the better things to have happened to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors