Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Right palm coming off at the top

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 billyhandsomeface

billyhandsomeface

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121119
  • Handicap:9.3
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

A friend of mine noticed something the other day that I cannot fix. At the top of my swing, my right palm comes off my left hand at the top. Don't know what causes it, but need a drill or something to fix it. My miss is a big hook.

I AM AN FBI AGENT!!!!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 atlanta golfer

atlanta golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35725
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

I saw something in a book where you put a small coin or end of a tee between the top of your left thumb and the bottom of your right palm base, with the goal to be able to swing without the object coming out.  It was called the anit hook drill.  Although I think there are a number of different drills with the same name.

#3 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103884
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

Try a bigger grip...

#4 MDP1555

MDP1555

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165719
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

not an uncommon issue. it is easy and somewhat natural feeling bad habit to get into. The deal is to maintain contact with the pad of the right thumb palm and the top of the left thumb or thumb nail. You probably have this mental image of a light grip being in the fingers and it should be but the grip has to be completed and maintaned complete. Your issue is just a (pardon the term) lazy right grip. your letting the right hand grip open at or near the top of th back swing. You just need to break this habit of allowing it to open (as in hand opening up not talking club face relationship) The dime drill is a good one but your really dont need anything. Just know you are doing it  and stop :)

Edited by MDP1555, 29 October 2012 - 09:10 AM.

#5 billyhandsomeface

billyhandsomeface

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to the range tomorrow and focusing on not doing it. I like the drill of putting the penny between the hands. I have been doing it in my house.

I AM AN FBI AGENT!!!!

#6 Dire Wolf

Dire Wolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73232
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

It may be you're not turning your shoulders and torso enough (or your hips which would affect those as well).  If you're not turning far enough for your swing arc your arms will pull behind you and threaten the stability of your grip.  The hook as a miss could be from being a handsy player, or that regrip at the top setting the clubface closed.

#7 Tanner25

Tanner25

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

It is possible you are overswinging like John Daly? That is a hard one to fix in itself.

Tanner

#8 Riger Mcilwood

Riger Mcilwood

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108848
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Great tip. I also found this to be an issue. I personally fixed it by getting flatter at the top of my backswing which helped my right hand stay on the club without thinking about it.

#9 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

The Mad Bomber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 1531

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

It's how you are gripping the club and/or how you hinge your wrists t the top.

There is an issue in one or both of those
Pulling the handle
I am so so steep
Shankopotomus finds me
I am Gavrilo Princip

#10 billyhandsomeface

billyhandsomeface

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

Okay I have been doing the drill with the dime and I think my right hand was way too far under the grip. I have a weak grip (supposed to help hooking but hasn't) and noticed that when I swing with the dime my right palm is facing the target at address and impact. I think I subconciously strengthened my grip and this drill has got me striking the ball much better. Now if I could only put it all together.....

I AM AN FBI AGENT!!!!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 MDP1555

MDP1555

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165719
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

Right hand under the grip is strong not week and promotes a hook via a closed face at impact not eliminate a hook. Either I am miss reading or reply is confused

The dime goes on the left thumb nail which should be on top of the grip or ever so slightly to the right of top of the grip and the right thumb pad ( the portion of the thumb where the big muscle of the thumb is) goes over the left thumb and dime to hold the dime in place.

The way I read your reply you were stating just the opposite. Just want to be clear.

#12 mooseman76

mooseman76

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92403
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:44 AM

I think he was saying that his left hand was weak and right got a bit too strong, causing his problem. At least that is what I'm thinking, as it is the same issue that I get (neutral left, strong right).

#13 Hoos Foos Sr.

Hoos Foos Sr.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 203585
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

View Postgolfsavvy, on 25 October 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

Try a bigger grip...

...or get smaller hands

#14 billyhandsomeface

billyhandsomeface

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

View PostMDP1555, on 29 October 2012 - 10:14 PM, said:

Right hand under the grip is strong not week and promotes a hook via a closed face at impact not eliminate a hook. Either I am miss reading or reply is confused

The dime goes on the left thumb nail which should be on top of the grip or ever so slightly to the right of top of the grip and the right thumb pad ( the portion of the thumb where the big muscle of the thumb is) goes over the left thumb and dime to hold the dime in place.

The way I read your reply you were stating just the opposite. Just want to be clear.

Yeah that is what I meant. My left hand grip is weak and my right was rolling over too much toward being strong. The drill helped me even it out! Thanks!
I AM AN FBI AGENT!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors