Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Taking an extra year off after hs

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 awil

awil

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127152
  • Ebay ID:aaronwilson1995
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

Okay so I'm a junior now and hav college aspirations to play . I have signed up for 4 fcwt tournaments . I am thinking next year ill stop playing hockey and just do fcwt (I'm doing it for weight lifting and I need to save some money to pay for next year) . So my question is has anyone not gone to college their year after senior high school year and done ijgt and fcwt tournaments to help build a resume and potentially move up on colleges radar? That's what I'm thinking about doing and if someone people could bounce some pros and cons out there to see that would be great

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 devinsolar

devinsolar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 158921
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

Theres a maximum age for those tours. Its possible you will not be able to compete.

#3 awil

awil

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

Yeah your eligible until your 20 years old so I would be  fine

#4 bk4

bk4

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11166
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

What kind of golfer are you now?  What would happen if you took the year off and you're golf game doesn't improve to the point that you desire?  What kind of school are you looking to go to?  Are you looking to play professionally in the end?

If you have th game, there shouldn't be any cons from a golf point of view.  The biggest con I see is that you take a year off, your game doesn't get to where you want it to be, and you are in the same boat you were before, now, a year later.  Unless you have coaches who tell you that you are close, but they want to see a little more that's one thing.  But if coaches aren't already talking to you, it could be a risk.

#5 awil

awil

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

Yeah I guess there's nothing to lose with this situation. I would just go to college one year later if nothing happens out of it .  The only thing I would imagine at this point  would be able to make a team after my senior year .
I did quite well locally this summer as a junior 5 top fives and all top tens except twice . But I haven't competed on a national level so no real I killing as to where my game is at against high level competitors . I have a varsity spot next year as junior as well

#6 Arizonalefty59

Arizonalefty59

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130198
  • Handicap:+2.1
  • Ebay ID:AZlefty93
GolfWRX Likes : 532

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

Don't take a year off......
Titleist 913 D3 10.5* w/ AD-DI 7s
Callaway Tour Issue XHot 15* w/ AD-DI 6s
Titleist 585H 21* w/ Alidila NV - S
Titleist 710 AP2's 4-PW w/ S300
Titleist Vokey SM4's 52*,56*,60*
Odyssey PT-82

#7 awil

awil

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

View PostArizonalefty59, on 25 October 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

Why so I'm looking for some opinions?
I know alot of colleges like kids to bulk up for other sports and I'd imagine with golf bulking up while playing very compatible golf could easily get me anothe level up an possibly a scholarship for books

#8 Long Shot

Long Shot

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1752
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

Attend a prep school.

#9 awil

awil

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

That's what in doing right now(my high school is a prep school) what do you mean by a prep school?

#10 Nspiel58

Nspiel58

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52767
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

What I've heard is that up to 50 % of first year college students flunk out.  After 12 years of being told what to do, and how to do it, it's time to take a year off.  If you're absolutely positive that golf is the thing to do (or anything else, for that matter), then go for the college thing, but one could also say that you should follow your instincts and do what you want - take the damn year off.  Just because you're not in school, doesn't necessarily mean your game's going to suffer.  If you don't have your heart in it, all the talent in the world means nothing.  As a former teacher, principal, and home schooling supervisor, I've seen my fair share of disheartened youth, devastated by the reality of a failed year at college.  This is a moment where you start making decisions for yourself, and do it at a relaxing and stress-free pace.   You seem to have some common sense.  Don't doubt yourself.  All the best in your future.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 545

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

If you take a year off move south where you can play, practice, and compete year round

#12 awil

awil

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

That's what I was thinking I would rent an apartment down south or fly from tourney to tourney and practice week to week at the events . Fly home about once a month to keep in touch and look at colleges and that sort of thing.  What about college acceptance next year would I have to re apply or could I defer?

#13 bk4

bk4

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11166
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

View Postawil, on 25 October 2012 - 11:04 PM, said:

That's what I was thinking I would rent an apartment down south or fly from tourney to tourney and practice week to week at the events . Fly home about once a month to keep in touch and look at colleges and that sort of thing.  What about college acceptance next year would I have to re apply or could I defer?

You can usually defer an acceptance for a year.  Is cost no option?  If you're going to spend money to rent an apartment/live in hotels, and fly from tournament to tournament, it's going to cost a ton of money.  At that point you'd be better served going to a golf academy, because you are at least getting instruction there.  Also, most course aren't going to let you show up a week early for a tournament and practice.  Usually it's only the day before.  What kind of scores are you putting up in competition?  Top 5's and 10's are good, but they aren't if you are shooting something in the 80's and finishing 6th out of 13.

#14 Badger_Golfer

Badger_Golfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190300
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

So you want to take a year off, living in apartments and flying around to various tournaments?  Really?  Go to college and get an education so that you can get a, "real" job.  Chasing a dream is fine but you still need to be realistic.

#15 awil

awil

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostGaijin_Golfer, on 26 October 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

So you want to take a year off, living in apartments and flying around to various tournaments?  Really?  Go to college and get an education so that you can get a, "real" job.  Chasing a dream is fine but you still need to be realistic.
Well thanks but I don't want to look back in life and say what if . And I do Plan on going just not the first year after hs

#16 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,292 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

It's quite common. Most academies have a post grad program where they take 18-19 year olds and try to get them to the next level with golf as their primary focus for a year.   There's no reason to fly all over for events.  In a place like FL you could play plenty of tournaments without having to fly and would save a considerable amount of money.

#17 pinhigh27

pinhigh27

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,042 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73898
GolfWRX Likes : 327

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:05 PM

View Postawil, on 25 October 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

View PostArizonalefty59, on 25 October 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

Why so I'm looking for some opinions?
I know alot of colleges like kids to bulk up for other sports and I'd imagine with golf bulking up while playing very compatible golf could easily get me anothe level up an possibly a scholarship for books

I don't think you know what you are talking about. Football players bulk up, golfers do not. Some teams have their golfers work out, to keep and improve flexibility and encourage some strength, but definitely not to bulk up. I know around 5-10 college golfers in each division and the last thing you'd call any of them is big. Most of them are fairly tall guys, but they aren't walking around at 6 2 240. It's like 6 2 170. Lifting will improve your flexibility and that could help your golf game, but I'm not sure what you are getting at with saying that you think bulking up would do anything to help you get to the next level. Look at how many guys on tour are big and strong? Half the pga tour couldn't squat 200 if their life depended on it.

Edited by pinhigh27, 26 October 2012 - 06:06 PM.

How to be in better shape for golf?
Become a better athlete.
Don't worry about golf specific.
Compound lifts w/ linear progress
Don't forget the mobility work.
More results, more functional

#18 awil

awil

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

I am 5-10 and 138 ... I am able to hit the ball as far as I do because of the amount of weight I do with my hockey team and the program that we do .
So I have seen results from muscle building when I strayed a year ago I hit the ball 200 and I weighed 110
So by bulking up I just meant putting more muscle on

#19 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 1957

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

You don't know his situation. Maybe his family can easily afford for him to do that for a year before he gets that education and "real job" you speak of.

I suspect realistic for young awil and realistic for you are two different things and that's why you have your panties in a bunch over this. Honestly it takes a pretty ignorant individual to not be able to see that.

#20 pinhigh27

pinhigh27

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,042 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73898
GolfWRX Likes : 327

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

View Postawil, on 26 October 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

I am 5-10 and 138 ... I am able to hit the ball as far as I do because of the amount of weight I do with my hockey team and the program that we do .
So I have seen results from muscle building when I strayed a year ago I hit the ball 200 and I weighed 110

You are 5 10 138.. You are still incredibly undersized. You make it sound like you make some crazy gains and that is responsible for your distance gains. You are a junior in high school. I'm willing to bet you gained some height too. If you were 5 10 110 then you'd be pure bone. Ever thought your growth spurt was responsible for some of your distance gains? Where is the correlation between muscle and distance? I have at least 10 pounds of lean body mass more than rory and nick watney but both of them can outdrive me like crazy. I'm a big advocate of strength training and perform high intensity compound lifts 3x a week, however I'm not doing those with the intention of adding distance. I just don't think you've thought this through much with respect to the fitness aspect or know that much about what you are talking about.

How to be in better shape for golf?
Become a better athlete.
Don't worry about golf specific.
Compound lifts w/ linear progress
Don't forget the mobility work.
More results, more functional

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 awil

awil

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

View Postpinhigh27, on 26 October 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

View Postawil, on 26 October 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

You are 5 10 138.. You are still incredibly undersized. You make it sound like you make some crazy gains and that is responsible for your distance gains. You are a junior in high school. I'm willing to bet you gained some height too. If you were 5 10 110 then you'd be pure bone. Ever thought your growth spurt was responsible for some of your distance gains? Where is the correlation between muscle and distance? I have at least 10 pounds of lean body mass more than rory and nick watney but both of them can outdrive me like crazy. I'm a big advocate of strength training and perform high intensity compound lifts 3x a week, however I'm not doing those with the intention of adding distance. I just don't think you've thought this through much with respect to the fitness aspect or know that much about what you are talking about.
I do have an idea what in talking about .
My weight  training coach has coached the u of m
NHL guys is coaching current Olympians etc
So I'm pretty sure here knows what works .

#22 awil

awil

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

View PostThrillhouse, on 26 October 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

You don't know his situation. Maybe his family can easily afford for him to do that for a year before he gets that education and "real job" you speak of.

I suspect realistic for young awil and realistic for you are two different things and that's why you have your panties in a bunch over this. Honestly it takes a pretty ignorant individual to not be able to see that.
Thanks thrill . In my opinion if it Dosen't work out I just start working at a desk one year later in my life and offer to enjoy my youth. But this whole thing might not even have to happen if I get offers

#23 titeygolfer

titeygolfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129279
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

Top fives on the MN Junior Tour don't really mean much. If it was player's tour the MIAC schools might be interested. But you're gonna need to get a lot better if you want to start commanding the attention of schools around the nation.

#24 SHIVAN

SHIVAN

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,782 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113964
GolfWRX Likes : 341

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

If you have a financial means to do this, already in place, like a rich uncle, you should certainly do it.

If you are going to be piecing it together on the fly, working at muni course to pay bills, it might not be the best plan.  Especially if you are not a top player in the region.  By region, I would mean multi-state region, not just MN.

What is your academic rank in your high school class?  Have you applied to, and been accepted at, any universities/colleges?  College might not be for you, even if you DON'T pursue golf.

Lastly, maybe your goal should be to become a PGA Professional and not a touring pro.  If that is a possibility for you, go to college for a degree that will facilitate that, rather than playing in a year off from HS to college.

#25 awil

awil

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

I don't want to be a PGA professional .  And my school is a college prep school and we don't know school rankings . I don't know where your from but most juniors in hs don't apply to college until senior fall.
Again I've never competed nationally so I don't have an idea of ranking etc and how I would be regionally

#26 hoganfan924

hoganfan924

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24689
GolfWRX Likes : 402

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

You're only a Junior so you still have a year to make big enough improvement to achieve your goal.  Work hard to make that happen.  The year off should be your back-up plan, not your primary one, IMO.  Best wishes

#27 SHIVAN

SHIVAN

Major Winner

• 2,782 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

The more I see in your responses, I would say taking a year off is a bad, bad plan.  There are something like 30,000,000 golfers in the world.  There are about 300 who are on the Web.com and PGA Tour.

#28 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,292 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

He's taking a year off to make a college golf team. Not play professionally. It's VERY common in college golf

#29 SHIVAN

SHIVAN

Major Winner

• 2,782 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 27 October 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

He's taking a year off to make a college golf team. Not play professionally. It's VERY common in college golf

Success rate of this "common" practice?  The very categorization of this as a "year off" would throw red flags, as a parent.

#30 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,292 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

View PostSHIVAN, on 27 October 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

View Postiteachgolf, on 27 October 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

Success rate of this "common" practice?  The very categorization of this as a "year off" would throw red flags, as a parent.
Quite successful at getting kids who could have played DII golf into DI golf etc.  Every junior academy has a post grad program for kids think an extra year of development will help. Like I said he should come south and work with someone who has a history of producing talent.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors