Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

EDITOR REVIEW - MIZUNO MP-T4 WEDGES

mizuno mp-t4 dynamic gold quad cut grooves grain flow forging review

48 replies to this topic

#1 swanry30

swanry30

VaporWRX

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,727 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14598
  • Ebay ID:swanry30
GolfWRX Likes : 420

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

PRODUCT TESTED – MIZUNO MP-T4

IMG_1659.JPG

CLUB SPECIFICATIONS:  58.10, 54.09, 50.06 – STOCK SHAFT DG SPINNER was substituted with DG S300 – by MIZUNO.  SEE BELOW FOR CUSTOM BUILD SHEET.

PROS

With input from the one of the games most precise wedge players, Luke Donald, Mizuno has designed a “tear shaped” wedge from 1025E “Pure Select” mild carbon steel – and incorporated their patented QUAD CUT GROOVES.  The results are a well balanced scoring weapon.

CONS

Mizuno’s “STRATEGICALLY ENGINEERED SOLE GEOMETRY to provide more toe and heel relief for maximum shot making versatility,” may not provide enough options for those who are looking for a wedge with a variety of LOFT/BOUNCE/GRIND options.   SEE BELOW FOR MP-T4 SPECIFICATIONS/OPTIONS.  Lefties who prefer the BLACK NICKEL finish are “left” out in the dark.

BOTTOM LINE

Mizuno has taken their superior technology and unsurpassed quality in irons - producing a wedge designed to elevate your game to the next level.

EDITOR/TESTOR REVIEW:

LOOK

With a design that is not too busy or too plain – the Mizuno MP-T4 simply put is perfect.  From address its subtle “tear drop” shape and precise machined QUAD CUT GROOVES help frame the ball regardless how the player chooses to execute a shot.

Honestly, after receiving the wedges, I spent nearly two hours looking at them and taking pictures of the back of the club.  In my mind – I was sold on the aesthetics before evaluating the face/address position.

For my personal preference – there needs to be a slight progression in head shape and groove depth/width.  The Mizuno MP-T4 nailed this in my opinion with a very subtle and appropriate evolution as the loft increases.

Both finishes - Exotic White Satin Chrome and Black Nickel are stunning to the eye.  The Exotic White Satin doesn’t look too delicate or soft and its counterpart in the Black Nickel doesn’t create a harsh crisp look that potential could transfer over into feel.

The specialized option of custom stamping is a wonderful touch.  There are a variety of colors to choose from: Royal Blue, Yellow, Red, Orange, Green, Purple, Black, Gold, White, Silver, Pink and Light Blue.  I ended up taking the neutral route and had SWAN stamped in BLACK, which complements the simple elegance of the wedge.

RATING = *****

PERFORMANCE/PLAYABILTY

I wanted to wait on writing my editor review until I had a chance to play in “real” golf conditions.  In the PACIFIC NORTHWEST we are blessed with two distinct playing conditions – WET and FIRM.  For most of the year WET dominates our courses – the exceptions being courses/complexes like BANDON DUNES, CHAMBERS BAY and TETHEROW, which play FIRM and tight year round.

FIRM CONDITIONS – FAIRWAY/ROUGH/BUNKERS

Coming off summer – the courses I frequent were starting to officially bake out.  I found the MP-T4 wedges to perform VERY well from the tighter lies – probably because I am use to wedges with more bounce.  I was able to execute a variety of shots that varied from HIGH SOFT to LOW SPINNING.  For me a wedge needs to SPIN – but also have the capability to reduce the spin imparted by the groves and strike to let a shot run if necessary.  Some of this is technique – some is the wedge.  The MP-T4 provided the opportunity for me to be versatile in my shot making.  Shots from the rough provided great spin allowing me to hold greens when I put myself out of position off the tee.
Around the greens the wedge performed better for me from tighter lies than deep rough.  There is a subtle sole grind which allows you to open the face to hit a flop shot a variety of lies – but I prefer to hit this shot utilizing the bounce.  The bounce on the 58 is 10 which is right on the bubble for me.  For those of you who prefer the bounce in this range – the MP-T4 should be on your radar.
Soft sand was negotiated with slightly more effort and a modification to my technique.  The stopping power was there – but the needed bounce was not.  I had to make sure I came through shallower than if I was using a wedge with higher bounce.

WET CONDITIONS – FAIRWAY/ROUGH/BUNKERS

Well…  The weather has turned – and the rain is here to stay.  Initially I was concerned to how wedges with less bounce than I am accustom to would perform in wet conditions.  Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised.  Approach shots from various distances in the fairway were easy.  This is where I feel the “balance” that Mizuno advertises came into play the most.  I could open the face and drive one low or lob one soft – no digging or abnormally large divots.  Perhaps the only shot that was difficult to execute – because of the bounce was when I dropped a ball “short side” on a shaved down area.  It took me a couple of balls to really execute the shot correctly.
The rough around the green was easy to navigate – no surprises.
Escaping wet bunkers were very easy – long or short.  The stopping power is fantastic – add that to wet sand and soft greens – ATTACK AWAY!

RATING = ****

FEEL

It has been a long time since I have played a forged wedge…  For me performance and versatility are the primary focus of a scoring club.  Can I get the ball close?  Does it stop when I need it to?  Can I hit all of my shots?  Feel is way down on the list.  Well… I found out what I have been missing out on playing a cast wedge now for years.  Mizuno defines SOFT with their GRAIN FLOW FORGING process.
As golfers – we tend to use culinary terms or phrases when describing feel.  “SOFT AS BUTTER” comes to mind.  I honestly don’t know how to describe feel – but Mizuno has given me an appetite for the element of FEEL in wedges.

RATING = *****

OVERALL BOTTOM LINE

Mizuno is a serious competitor in the wedge market.  With the input they received from the top golfers in the world – the MP-T4 is a well balanced scoring machine.  Ironically – it may not be the flashiest wedge, one that is in your friends’ bag, or on the front display of your local golf store…  However, IF you try them – you will more than likely be purchasing them.  Subtle beauty, combined with outstanding craftsmanship and superior technology.  Even if you are not in the market for wedges – try out Mizuno’s latest offering in the MP-T4 and have your eyes opened.

RATING = ****1/2

I will keep active on this thread to answer any questions you may have!

PLEASE USE THIS LINK FOR MANUFACTURE SPECIFICATIONS AND CUSTOM OPTIONS

http://www.mizunousa...no-mp-t4-wedges

IMG_1653.JPG IMG_1654.JPG
IMG_1655.JPG IMG_1656.JPG
IMG_1657.JPG IMG_1658.JPG
]IMG_1660.JPG

IMG_1661.JPG IMG_1668.JPG

IMG_1662.JPG IMG_1667.JPG

IMG_1663.JPG IMG_1666.JPG

Edited by swanry30, 22 October 2012 - 06:06 PM.

Nike CT 2.0 10.5* - Motore Speeder 7.2TS
Nike CT 2.0 15* - Motore Speeder 8.2TS
Nike CP 17* hybrid - TOUR AD DI 95x
Nike 2014 Split Cavity 3-PW - PX 6.5
Nike MOD 30 - SS Flatso Ultra 1.1
Nike Raw VR Forged 54.12 / 58.10
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 torrejuan

torrejuan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1203
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

Great review! Further confirmation that these will be on my short list.

#3 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

how was the spin?

#4 masyankees

masyankees

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138903
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

Great review, Ryan. Add 1 more to the list of wedges I'll be looking into pretty soon

#5 swanry30

swanry30

VaporWRX

• 3,727 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

I'll respond to all of you in one message as I am on my iPhone...  

How is the spin?  Fantastic.  I really feel there is a level playing field with the "new" groove rules.  Each company utilizes their specific technology to create optimal spin.  I really like the diversity of the spin of the MP-T4 if that makes sense.  There are some wedges that just want to spin.  You hit a gentle chip to a flat surface and bam.  STOPS.  Dead in its tracks.  I have had very good luck with this wedge spinning when it needs to and chasing when it's called for.  Yes, technique plays a huge part - but this is versatile

For reference I play the PENTA TP5.

I'm glad some of you are putting these wedges on your radar.  As a consumer it is becoming more difficult to determine quality - greatly in part to the fact that some products aren't as readily available, advertised or pushed by our local shop, course or club.  What kind of kickbacks is the manufacture offering to the retail outlet?  The list goes on and on.  Mizuno is not the most marketed brand.  Before the days of huge equipment contracts and endorsements - many tour players trusted Mizuno as their iron of choice.  It would be interesting to list those players.  Regardless - these wedges are sitting there waiting for their chance.  

If you do have an opportunity to test them - avoid range balls.  Hit a variety of shots with your ball of choice.  This is where the feel and sound will really distance itself from cast wedges.

I'm not opposed to marketing or advertising - if your product can back it up - so don't hear me wrong!

WITB Link

#6 lbhitter

lbhitter

BadaPing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2346
  • Ebay ID:LBHITTER
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:44 AM

These wedges look fantastic.
I will Mizuno would make a 54* with more bounce options than just 9*.

LB
Ping G25 Diamana Blue
Ping G25 3w Diamana Blue
Callaway Steelhead 5w
Ping i25 Steelfiber
Ping Ketsch
Tour Gorge 50, 56  Eye2 60 / DGS200

#7 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44297
GolfWRX Likes : 714

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

Just picked up the 54' this weekend will be 1st time it will be in the bag

#8 swanry30

swanry30

VaporWRX

• 3,727 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

lbhitter, on 23 October 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

These wedges look fantastic.
I will Mizuno would make a 54* with more bounce options than just 9*.

LB

jnradioactive, on 23 October 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

Just picked up the 54' this weekend will be 1st time it will be in the bag

i don't know...?  this is our chance to give feedback to MIZUNO though.  the more comments we make - the better the chance is more options are made available.  i will say it is a universal bounce due to the toe and heel relief - but i still like more with my wedges!
WITB Link

#9 masyankees

masyankees

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138903
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

Are these gonna replace your ATVs? Or can you not answer that?

#10 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

to be honest these don't really look that great - I think the R12s are better - finally got a chance to play with them today.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• 12,374 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3056

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

I am a Mizuno man, but I don't see myself putting these in the bag. The look is great, and I am sure they play great on straightforward shots. I don't see that these would be great on open faced shots (the big flop) or hitting different shots out of the sand, though. I don't know if these come with the DG Spinners, but I wish Mizuno would move away from that as a stock shaft, if they haven't already.
Mizuno Mp 650 9.5/Whiteboard 73x
Mizuno Mp 650 15, 18/Aldila Vs Proto 80x
Mizuno Mp 68 3-pw/DG x100
Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
Odyssey White Ice #7
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#12 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44297
GolfWRX Likes : 714

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

MadGolfer76, on 23 October 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

I am a Mizuno man, but I don't see myself putting these in the bag. The look is great, and I am sure they play great on straightforward shots. I don't see that these would be great on open faced shots (the big flop) or hitting different shots out of the sand, though. I don't know if these come with the DG Spinners, but I wish Mizuno would move away from that as a stock shaft, if they haven't already.

DG Spinners are stock

#13 swanry30

swanry30

VaporWRX

• 3,727 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

The r12s look great as well!  I think CHIII went back to them...

WITB Link

#14 J13

J13

@jminis13

• 9,610 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 1399

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

great review!!  been looking at these to match up with my mp64's.  They are great looking wedges
Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

#15 Twisty82

Twisty82

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117287
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:09 AM

Thanks for the awesome review Swanry. I massively appreciate ad respect your opinions and thoughts. The only query I have is on spin. Admittedly I have not spent masses of time hitting these but I put this to the test against a SM4 Vokey and the new Ping Gorge wedge and felt there didn't spin. 2 of the good golfers on my club who have mp t4's said the same, they just don't think they spin. I noticed they spin much less than the Vokey and the Ping. I was very disappointed as I really love the look, feel etc.

You obviously didn't find the same thing? I found it particularly that 50 yard or so three quarter punched shot that hopped and stopped on the third bounce with the vokey and ping just hopped and ran out with the Mizuno.

Interested in your thoughts.

#16 swanry30

swanry30

VaporWRX

• 3,727 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

J13, on 23 October 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

great review!!  been looking at these to match up with my mp64's.  They are great looking wedges

THANKS!  i would look at the mp-14 and mp-r12.  everytime i look at your irons review i drool.  those look so good - with the performance to back it up.  i was surprised how nice and compact these are in person!

Twisty82, on 24 October 2012 - 04:09 AM, said:

Thanks for the awesome review Swanry. I massively appreciate ad respect your opinions and thoughts. The only query I have is on spin. Admittedly I have not spent masses of time hitting these but I put this to the test against a SM4 Vokey and the new Ping Gorge wedge and felt there didn't spin. 2 of the good golfers on my club who have mp t4's said the same, they just don't think they spin. I noticed they spin much less than the Vokey and the Ping. I was very disappointed as I really love the look, feel etc.

You obviously didn't find the same thing? I found it particularly that 50 yard or so three quarter punched shot that hopped and stopped on the third bounce with the vokey and ping just hopped and ran out with the Mizuno.

Interested in your thoughts.

interesting.  i can honestly say that i haven't compared each wedge side by side - however, earlier this year i really wanted to purchase the sm4's.  the spin wasn't there for me though.  i had better luck with the wedges i ended up buying and now the mp-t4.

i did mention in my review that this wedge isn't a one dimensional SPIN machine.  i have owned wedges like that pre-conforming grooves.  they would spin from a garbage can.  with the mp-t4 i can hit the the full, medium, quarter shot with a one hop stop or let it roll out a little.  easier for them to spin than run - but i have had luck.  in other words they are not lacking spin at all.

i will be curious to find out how these wedges do after time - will the grooves wear?
WITB Link

#17 Twisty82

Twisty82

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117287

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

What did you end up buying?

I will do some more testing and see what I think. Like I say I love the look, feel etc and am getting mp 64 irons so would love to match in the wedges. Hopefully it was all me, which is more than likely, and the versatility you talk of is there for all shots.

Edited by Twisty82, 24 October 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#18 caller

caller

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70411
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

got 54 & 58 for myself and will play this weekend. Hope it turns out ok

#19 G N R

G N R

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128428
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Great review.  I'm trying to decide between the T-4's and the R-12's.  From what I've read it would be be hard to go wrong with either.
Titleist 913 D2 10.5* Diamana S+
Bridgestone J40 4W 16* Project X 6.0
Bridgestone J40 4H 24* Project X 6.0
Mizuno MP 53 4-PW XP S300
Mizuno T4 52* and 58* S300
Odyssey ProType Black 2 ball

#20 J13

J13

@jminis13

• 9,610 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 1399

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:19 AM

I'll take a look at those wedges for sure.  And yes the 64's are sweet!!!

Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 swanry30

swanry30

VaporWRX

• 3,727 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

Mikka, on 24 October 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

Great review.  I'm trying to decide between the T-4's and the R-12's.  From what I've read it would be be hard to go wrong with either.

I don't have any course experience with the mp-r12 - but the more pronounced grind could be a better fit for certain golfers.  Both look incredible!
WITB Link

#22 swanry30

swanry30

VaporWRX

• 3,727 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

i've had a chance to practice with these wedges for a few more weeks and i continue to love them!  the spin, for those of you that have asked the question, is definitely there.  great wedge...
WITB Link

#23 Golfwolf

Golfwolf

Major Winner

• 2,545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2884
  • Handicap:13.7
  • Ebay ID:lonewolf8074
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:56 AM

Nice review, thanks for that and the cool pics. I have used many brands of wedges over the years and always seem to gravitate back to Mizunos, they just feel right to me. I am currently using the MP-R12s white satin and am completely satisfied with them but would not hesitate to go with the MP-T4s when the time comes.
Callaway Big Bertha 10.5
TM SLDR TS / TM SLDR 3HL
Callaway X Hot 25 hybrid
Titleist AP1 714 5-W1 XP95 S300
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54/58
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

#24 moonshine

moonshine

The Trace!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Ebay ID:chasj_r1
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

Wow, great looking stuff and nice touch with engraving.  I gotta' get in on this club review program!  I'm sold on the mp-r grind for sure....not so much the spinner.

#25 Ball.Go.Far.

Ball.Go.Far.

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208721
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Another great review, has me leaning even more to mp 64 t4 matching set.  I would love a review with all the new wedges for 12-13 lined up and compared a little side by side.  There are so many quality offerings these days it seems almost impossible to go wrong.

TM R1 Accra Dymatch
Ping i15 3 & 5  axivcore tour red
Callaway Xutility 21
Callaway XForged 4-P X100 tour issue
Vokey SM4 53, 59
TM Spider Blade

#26 swanry30

swanry30

VaporWRX

• 3,727 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

moonshine, on 31 October 2012 - 05:38 AM, said:

Wow, great looking stuff and nice touch with engraving.  I gotta' get in on this club review program!  I'm sold on the mp-r grind for sure....not so much the spinner.

i can't do the spinner either...

the mp-r grind is sweet. The mp-t4 grind is there - just not predominate.  Again my suggestion would be a combo, and perhaps more bounce.

I LOVE THE LOOK OF THEM IN MY BAG!
WITB Link

#27 Goldenhawk

Goldenhawk

Major Winner

• 3,031 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7653
GolfWRX Likes : 235

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

These wedges look even better in person.  Great review.  You would think that Mizuno wedges would give Vokeys and Clevelands a run for the money in the market place.
TM SLDR 10.5* Driver
Adams Super XTD Ti 14.5* and 18* Woods
Adams Super XTD Ti 19* Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-850 Forged, 4 to AW
Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Mizuno MP-T5 Wedges, 56*/10* and 60*/10*

#28 nova6868

nova6868

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140033
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 352

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

They should really offer more options with higher bounce.

54 - only comes with 9 bounce

The 56 offers 10 or 13... why can't I have a 54-13?

#29 TIEfighter77

TIEfighter77

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 195506

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

I am considering switching from my Vokeys to these since I play Mizunos but I do agree that there needs to be a higher bounce option in 54 degree.  I use a 54 primarily out of sand and want at least an 11 bounce at minimum.

#30 lenny318

lenny318

• 116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139412
  • Ebay ID:Lenny318
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

nice review! thanks!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors