Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

slodsm's WITB for the week..

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 slodsm

slodsm

Hack artist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184330
  • Ebay ID:slodsm01
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

I'm almost happy with my setup right now. I may be changing a few things around within the next month but for the moment the moment I'm holding me back mostly, not my clubs.

To start, I've got a Burner 2.0 9.5 driver with the stock stiff shaft and a GP NDMC grip. I chose this driver because for some reason I tend to get wild with my swings when I try to crank on it and I don't know where they are going. The longer shaft and a forced calm swing with this gets me out to a 243 avg right now since I've bought it with 50% in the middle (or close), 23% left and 27% right. I can deal with those numbers for right now.

Then we have the Nike VR Pro 15* 3w with a PX6.0 shaft. I used to absolutely love this wood, from the tee, fairway, didn't matter. I swung and it went. I've lost it somewhere and now 90% of the balls I strike with it are topped and go nowhere. Yesterday I had 2 great swings with it and thought it was back and then promptly dumped one OB as a ground rocket about 40 yards from my lie. I think it's got to go, I may have bad mojo on it now.

Hybrid is an Adams 19* with a Graffaloy blue in stiff, when I bought this club in August, I could hit the ball with my eyes closed with it. Now it's become a toe machine and it never comes out of the bag anymore either, it may soon be replaced so I can get something I have confidence in.

Irons are by far my favorite. I'm not always a great ball striker but when I'm off these still mask it well enough to give me no reason to blame the irons. Titleist AP1 712's with the stock S300 shafts, the launch the ball high and straight for me when I do my part and I believe I may actually be in love with them hahahaha.

Wedges (this is an odd combo at the moment) are a Titleist Vokey 54 and 56. I was playing a 56* Titleist and a 60* 588 but I just had no consistency with the 60, hit a lot of thin shots at the worst times so I've taken it out and I'm trying to decide which Vokey wedge gives me what I'm looking for (14 bounce on the 54, 07 bounce on the 56). Then I'll replace the other with another hybrid for longer shots most likely.

Last but not least, my money maker (most days) is my Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2. I was putting with a belly putter for quite a while but I wanted to get back to a standard putter and something I would actually like enough to practice my putting more. I saw this one and ran with it.

All of this sits in my Adidas Approach cart bag, if I can ever get that handicap down into the single digits over the next few years, I'm going to splurge and buy myself a blinged out Titleist bag but for now I'm trying to stay low key hahaha. I'd worked my way down to a personal best of a 15.5 this summer but I've developed a bad habit of picking up my head during a swing and trying to muscle the club with my right hand and it's crept back up to a 17 and probably going higher until I remove this flaw from my muscle memory.

On to the pics, my wife has run off with the camera so iPhone pictures are all I could pull off after I finished cleaning up from the round this morning.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by slodsm, 21 October 2012 - 04:34 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 SD86

SD86

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193208
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

Excellent set!  I am considering AP1s and would love to hear your feedback over time.  The putter is very cool.  Yes, your wedge situation is interesting, and I look forward to hearing how you resolve it...

#3 KyleGD

KyleGD

Advanced

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113965
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:13 AM

Great looking stuff, very solid set!

#4 zink357

zink357

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206119
  • Ebay ID:zink247
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

I have the same driver in TP and it is LOOOONG

#5 PZero

PZero

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129810
  • Handicap:1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1642

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

Great bag!

R11S 10.5 Whiteboad 63S
TEE XCG7 15
TM R9 19
Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
Vokey 50, TVD 56
Studio Select Newport

#6 slodsm

slodsm

Hack artist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

Thanks guys. Before I left for work I went ahead and rested a burner 2.0 4 wood to try out and replace my three wood and I took some of my older 2.0 hybrids out to the range and hit them. They are working well for me so they are going to replace my Nike 3w and ap1 4i when I get back (I work 14 on 14 off). Just trying to solidify what I can consistently work with. I'd rather give up a bit of distance off the fairway with a 4w and be able to hit it easier than have the possibility of longer shots but only getting them up where they need to be half the time.

As far as the wedges, I think what I'm going to end up doing is adding a high bounce 58 and low bounce 60 and rotating 2 of them in and out depending on the conditions of where I'm playing.

Last, I went ahead and set up a few more lessons for when I return. Not only am I lifting my head a lot lately for I've started opening my shoulders through impact now trying to swing harder and I've generally regressed from all the progress I made over the summer. Why do I have to love such a complicated game?????

#7 slodsm

slodsm

Hack artist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

Made a few changes, got rid of the 56* vokey and kept the 54, added a 58 to make my lob wedge. The AP1 4i went out (it was too hit and miss whether I could do anything or just hit it uber fat) and I replaced the Adams 19* and the 4i with TM 21 and 24* hybrids. The Nike 3w went out of the bag and was replaced by a TM 16.5* 4w. I lost a bit of distance with these changes but gained consistency which is wayyyyy more important to me. Once I left the tee box, if I had a long approach on a par 4 or any par 5 I just had a small melt down mentally because I couldn't come close to even a 50% ratio of good swings with the 3w and 3h I had in here before. For now I'm fairly content again.

I did however find a good deal on a used SC Big Sur long putter and I may go trade in a spare set of irons I have on it tomorrow.

Posted Image

#8 SD86

SD86

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193208
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

View Postslodsm, on 14 November 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

Made a few changes, got rid of the 56* vokey and kept the 54, added a 58 to make my lob wedge. The AP1 4i went out (it was too hit and miss whether I could do anything or just hit it uber fat) and I replaced the Adams 19* and the 4i with TM 21 and 24* hybrids. The Nike 3w went out of the bag and was replaced by a TM 16.5* 4w. I lost a bit of distance with these changes but gained consistency which is wayyyyy more important to me. Once I left the tee box, if I had a long approach on a par 4 or any par 5 I just had a small melt down mentally because I couldn't come close to even a 50% ratio of good swings with the 3w and 3h I had in here before. For now I'm fairly content again.

I did however find a good deal on a used SC Big Sur long putter and I may go trade in a spare set of irons I have on it tomorrow.

The 54-58 wedge combination sounds good.  I'm at a 53 (allegedly 52)-58 Scratch wedge combo, which is doing well for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors