Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Long putters - rule change ?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Newby

Newby

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93129
GolfWRX Likes : 268

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

http://golfweek.com/...-tours-players/

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,377 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2172

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

From that...It seems that they (USGA) won't invoke the right given in 14-3 and that it won't be until 2016.

Though it appears imminent at this point.   I think that the USGA should do whatever it feels necessary to protect the game for everyone.  And the PGA tour should do whatever it feels necessary to protect their livelihood, athough it would seem weird if Keegan, Webb, A. Scott et al show up at the US Open and have to use SL putter for one week...
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#3 Socrates

Socrates

Global Warming… I think not.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 552

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

I've seen a lot of mixed messages lately.  They'll make an announcement at seasons end, they'll make an announcement in late November early December, they won't make a decision until March 2013 and I don't know if the 3 parties (USGA, R&A and PGA) can't get their message straight or what.  They also mention in the article that there is no empirical data to show that an anchored putter is any better or worse than a "normal" putter.

What does seem to be pertinent is that we have Mike Davis speaking directly to the PGA Tour players and advising them on practicing with short putters.  Seems like they have made up their mind and just can't seem to get up enough nerve to come out and say it until their lawyers have researched the heck out of it.

Edited by Socrates, 20 October 2012 - 03:12 PM.

RH Ping i20 707D Stiff 44.5"
RH Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
RH Ping i20 3, 4 Hyb 707H Stiff
RH X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil Reg (on the way)
LH Scotty Cameron Golo Select 34"
RH Vokey 52º, 56º 60º Spin Milled 2

#4 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostSocrates, on 20 October 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

I've seen a lot of mixed messages lately.  They'll make an announcement at seasons end, they'll make an announcement in late November early December, they won't make a decision until March 2013 and I don't know if the 3 parties (USGA, R&A and PGA) can't get their message straight or what.  They also mention in the article that there is no empirical data to show that an anchored putter is any better or worse than a "normal" putter.

What does seem to be pertinent is that we have Mike Davis speaking directly to the PGA Tour players and advising them on practicing with short putters.  Seems like they have made up their mind and just can't seem to get up enough nerve to come out and say it until their lawyers have researched the heck out of it.

It's not entirely clear that the PGA Tour will comply.  Jim Furyk is quoted as saying they may or may not go along with whatever rule changes might occur.
shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#5 sui generis

sui generis

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132389
GolfWRX Likes : 307

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

I'd like to see the R&A and USGA say that they've looked carefully at "the problem" and, though Old Tom Morris may be spinning in his grave, we see no legitimate reason to change the Rules at this time and furthermore the PGA Tour can go pound sand. However, no matter what they say or don't say the uproar will be uproarious.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the
applied skill set which a player must
use to play a round of competitive golf.

#6 Socrates

Socrates

• 4,378 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

View PostVindog, on 20 October 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

It's not entirely clear that the PGA Tour will comply.  Jim Furyk is quoted as saying they may or may not go along with whatever rule changes might occur.
There is no way in h*ll that the PGA Tour or any Tour would not comply with the change if it happens.  If they did not, the implication would be that they are cheating and that's not going to happen (integrity, playing by the Rules and all that).  The PGA Tour as a group would comply, but I would bet on individual members taking the decision to court if they can.

#7 rogolf

rogolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123050
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

View PostSocrates, on 20 October 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

View PostVindog, on 20 October 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

There is no way in h*ll that the PGA Tour or any Tour would not comply with the change if it happens.  If they did not, the implication would be that they are cheating and that's not going to happen (integrity, playing by the Rules and all that).  The PGA Tour as a group would comply, but I would bet on individual members taking the decision to court if they can.

It's my understanding that one of the stipulations of the PGA Tour settlement of the lawsuit with Ping (regarding grooves) is that the PGA Tour must follow USGA Rules.
See third paragraph of this:
http://golfweek.com/...ng-eye-2-wedges/

#8 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

Powered by the old school

• 4,218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51683
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 547

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

I think there could be a lot of twists, turns and permutations before this thing is settled given the lack of clear quantifiable information.  What is clear, is that a lot of intelligent people disagree and therefore a clean and quick decision isn't likely, as evidenced by the quasi-timeline the PGA tour has set forth.  

It is hard to get unanimous support (or even an evident will of the majority) when your fighting perceptions and ideologies and not statistical evidence...

#9 rogolf

rogolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

View Posttopekareal, on 20 October 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

I think there could be a lot of twists, turns and permutations before this thing is settled given the lack of clear quantifiable information.  What is clear, is that a lot of intelligent people disagree and therefore a clean and quick decision isn't likely, as evidenced by the quasi-timeline the PGA tour has set forth.  

It is hard to get unanimous support (or even an evident will of the majority) when your fighting perceptions and ideologies and not statistical evidence...

I think it's quite clear that if the R&A and USGA change the Rules of golf, the PGA Tour will comply with the changes.

#10 toolman

toolman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90502
  • Handicap:8.6
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

If they ban them I can't wait to follow the drama of the lawsuits that will follow. I'm sure the Keegan's and Simpsons alike have already spoken to their attorneys about this.

SLDR 12*
Taylormade VSteel 16.5 YS6
Ping Hybrids Anser 20* and i20 23*
Bridgestone J40 CB 5-PW  PX 6.5
Bridgestone J40 50, 54, and 58 PX 6.5
Odyssey 1W WBW
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Socrates

Socrates

• 4,378 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

If and when they do something (if for no other reason than they don't like the look of it since they can't prove that it is more effective), the verbiage will be very interesting.  That will determine whether or not someone can launch a lawsuit.  This is likely holding up the announcement as they surely don't want to let anyone have any basis for a lawsuit.

#12 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

Powered by the old school

• 4,218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51683
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 547

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

View Postrogolf, on 20 October 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

View Posttopekareal, on 20 October 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

I think it's quite clear that if the R&A and USGA change the Rules of golf, the PGA Tour will comply with the changes.

I don't think this is clear at all - You don't go and try to gain the support of the policy board if it's clear the tour will comply with any changes - There'd be no reason to

#13 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

I'm not saying they will or won't or they have to or don't have to..But Furyk is quoted as saying that they may or may or go along.  That is all.  I does seem weird that they would not go along, but he did say that.

View Postrogolf, on 20 October 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

It's my understanding that one of the stipulations of the PGA Tour settlement of the lawsuit with Ping (regarding grooves) is that the PGA Tour must follow USGA Rules.

Just saying what Furyk said.

Then why bother trying to "sell" this to a policy board?  The USGA is really mucking this up...from top to bottom, imo.
shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#14 rogolf

rogolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

View PostVindog, on 21 October 2012 - 08:12 AM, said:

I'm not saying they will or won't or they have to or don't have to..But Furyk is quoted as saying that they may or may or go along.  That is all.  I does seem weird that they would not go along, but he did say that.

View Postrogolf, on 20 October 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

Just saying what Furyk said.

Then why bother trying to "sell" this to a policy board?  The USGA is really mucking this up...from top to bottom, imo.

I'll suggest that it was a convenient time for the USGA to update the PGA Tour policy board, and that "sell" was the word/view used by the reporter, not by Mr. Davis.
We're getting off the topic - the topic is a Rules change.

Edited by rogolf, 21 October 2012 - 08:33 AM.

#15 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

View Postrogolf, on 21 October 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

I'll suggest that it was a convenient time for the USGA to update the PGA Tour policy board, and that "sell" was the word/view used by the reporter, not by Mr. Davis.

yeah thus the " "

Edited by Vindog, 21 October 2012 - 08:33 AM.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#16 Jamboy72

Jamboy72