Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Left SGX, leaving Golfshot...just received new Garmin S3

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Fabian43

Fabian43

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86524
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

Like many of you over the years I've used different GPS systems. Years ago it was Golflogix on my Android. Then I went all out and got the SGX falling victim to Skycaddy's marketing and thinking they were the best...boy was I wrong. Ditched them for Golfshot on my IPhone 4S. I've been happiest with the Golfshot but have grown tired of not being able to finish a full round due to a dead battery and/or leaving the course with only 10% juice left.
I've always worn a watch while golfing and after much research decided to try the S3. There are so many good reviews of the S1 that I was confident I'd love the S3. Just got it yesterday, gonna use it this weekend. I'll post my thoughts after.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 golfjam

golfjam

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11743
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

I've got one and like a lot. Don't forget to update firmware to get better readings.
Titleist 910 D3 7.5 Fuji Fuel X
Titleist 906F2 15 Fuji 370 X
Mizuno MP-68 3-PW X100
Miura 52 Miura 56 X100
Scotty Cameron Newport Beach DLIII

#3 NostraDEIMOS

NostraDEIMOS

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116097
  • Ebay ID:NostraDEIMOS
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

I've used the Garmin G5 and currently use the G6, I've never tried the watch though.  Can't wait to hear your review on the S3.

#4 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,967 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 531

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

I got the G3 to replace my old (original) neo and like it a lot.  The only downside is the battery life isn't great compared with most hand-held gps units.  You might squeeze out two rounds w/o needing to recharge that that's it.  With the neo, I could get 4+ rounds in between charges.

Edited by Stuart G., 19 October 2012 - 03:50 AM.

#5 Fabian43

Fabian43

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

Gonna tee off in a few hours. In terms of battery life I did take that into consideration that its difficult to get in 2 rounds but in my 4 years of golfing I've only played 2 rounds in one day twice so I don't foresee that being a problem. On the other hand I will have to remember to charge the watch after every round and in that sense I can see the drawback. Here's a tip: my car has a USB port so I can plug in my iPod so I tried plugging in the watch into that port with the included cables the watch came with. Lo and behold it began charging the watch. Now charging the watch via USB is pain stakingly slow compared to AC but if you are trying to get out o the house and grab your gps unit only to realize you forgot to charge it just grab the USB cable and charge on the drive over. You won't get a full charge but probably enough to get a round in...or you could pay $25 for the Garmin vehicle charger but I'd rather not.

#6 hyolee

hyolee

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3709
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

I've used my Garmin G5 for last 2 and1/2years until last fall.  The screen cracked (heavy load during golf trip) so contact Garmin and they said send in $100 with Garmin G5 and they'll fix it.  I decided to just buy new GPS.  After long research and try outs.  Decided to go with S1.  G6 was second, upro third and sgxw fourth.  I do miss G5/G6 when we go to new courses.  90%of the time S1 is great; simple, direct and always with you.  Me and the guys play 36 to 54 holes per day on Saturday and Sunday.  S1 is good for about 8-9hours of GPS which equates to about 45 holes and lunch in between for us.  I wish I have waited and got S3. ... I love technology.

#7 Fabian43

Fabian43

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:31 AM

So was able to get out on the course today and try out the new Approach S3. The things I like: because I am used to playing with a watch having a GPS watch made it convenient. It was so much faster to look down at my wrist and get the yardage instead of having to grab my iPhone, unlock it, and look up yardage. Was able to keep basic stroke score on the watch as well. Things I didn't like was that since I had never played today's course before I was missing the ability to look at the hole layout from my Golfshot. There were bunkers that I had no distances for. As well, for today's round I downloaded Golfshot Lite to simultaneously keep a detailed scorecard. I'm not sure whether in time I will just forgo keeping detailed stats or if it will be something I continue to do. 2 things I would like Garmin to add to S5 would be adding bunkers and other hazards (w/o us having to do it ourselves) and adding ability to keep stats like how many putts, sand, penalty and whether tee shot was in fairway. I guess I want these stats because I've gotten use to them on Golfshot. All things said, I love the convenience the S3 brings, no more iPhone battery dying on me on the 17th hole! Once the S5 comes out I'll sell my S3 and get the new one…gotta have the latest and greatest.

#8 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136468
GolfWRX Likes : 513

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

Garmin recently released a new course update. To download the update for free for an Approach device, visit this link: www.garmin.com/courseviewupdater

#9 buttuh

buttuh

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66596
  • Ebay ID:goonies2000
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

Have you thought about getting a case with an extended battery for your iPhone?  I got one from amazon for around $10 and it more than doubled the battery life in my wife's iPhone.

#10 Fabian43

Fabian43

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

So I've got about 5 rounds in with the S3 and i love it. So much quicker to get the yardage from the watch then compared to grabbing the iPhone or sky caddie from the cart. CONVENIENT! And my iPhone's battery isn't dead anymore because it doesn't get used during the round. Anyone considering getting the S3 I would highly recommend it. For me it was between the G6 and S3 and I decided convenience was worth more to me than tracking in-depth stats, YMMV. For the S5 I really hope, though, that they would add the ability to track putts. I don't need to track GIR and other stats but knowing putts per round is helpful. As well I wish they input hazard distances instead of us having to do it manually.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors