Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golf Sunglasses


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 clemsontiger1

clemsontiger1

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98094
  • Joined: 11/06/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

What sunglasses do you wear when you play? Looking for a good pair to wear golfing, and did not know much about them other than Oakley.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 clemsontiger1

clemsontiger1

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98094
  • Joined: 11/06/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

Disregard, I see the post below

#3 IsleOfMan

IsleOfMan

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138830
  • Joined: 09/09/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

I wanted to upgrade from Oakley Half Jackets (black/grey) to Flak Jackets but balked a bit when I saw how much prices have increased over  the last 3-4 years.  I found a small company called Finz making a Flak Jacket look-alike (unbranded) that run between $15-$18 and look to currently only be sold on ebay.  They are available in three frame colors (white/black rubber, black/black rubber, silver/black rubber) and three lens colors (black/grey, gold (fire), and blue (ice)), all polarized.  All 9 combinations of frame/lens are available.  I went with the white/black rubber and black/grey lenses with a $12 bid and won.  

They shipped quickly from NJ and arrived just before a week long family vacation in which I was going to play three times (Disney Palm, Magnolia, and Oak Trail).  I took my Half Jackets for comparison as well.

In terms of build quality, the only difference I can see between these and the equivalent Oakley model is they use screws at the pivots instead of compression fit.  This only becomes an issue if you plan to replace the stems (unlikely replacement parts are available for these) or if you sit on them... the Oakley model might pop apart instead of breaking.  Otherwise the build quality is top notch.  There are no molding lines like you see on cheap plastic frames.  The rubber pieces are removable but fit snugly and stretch the same way as Oakley rubber pieces.  The lenses have a strong polarization that can be seen are nearly 100% light blockage when you put the two lenses in line with one rotated 180*.

One thing that surprised me is the lenses are removable and look like they might be directly interchangeable with Oakley lenses as well as the plethora of third-party lenses available these days.  I tried and they are not 1:1 with Half Jacket lenses, but neither are Flak Jackets.  Given the low price, I can't see much reason to buy more expensive lenses, but if they are compatible, buying a set of these glasses just for the lenses might be an inexpensive way to replace lenses on a real pair of Flak Jackets... again, I can't confirm they are a 100% match yet... I've emailed the owner of the company, listed on a tag on the glasses, and haven't heard anything back.  My plan is to get the black/gold and silver/blue combos and then just swap around lenses as I see fit.

Anyway, long-and-short is if you're looking for a good budget alternative to the Oakley Flak Jacket, check eBay for Finz.  They also have a Radar style frame as well, but it's not the 1:1 design translation that the Flak Jacket style frames are.

It might not come across as such, but I have no affiliation with Finz, just happy with what I got from them for the price... I think my post count and history should bear this out as well.

#4 gb350

gb350

    hacker

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183950
  • Joined: 05/31/2012
  • Location:michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:29 AM

for some reason i cant wear sunglasses just seems to be distracting

#5 buckeye88us

buckeye88us

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47187
  • Joined: 01/27/2008
  • Location:University Park, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

View PostIsleOfMan, on 18 October 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

I wanted to upgrade from Oakley Half Jackets (black/grey) to Flak Jackets but balked a bit when I saw how much prices have increased over  the last 3-4 years.  I found a small company called Finz making a Flak Jacket look-alike (unbranded) that run between $15-$18 and look to currently only be sold on ebay.  They are available in three frame colors (white/black rubber, black/black rubber, silver/black rubber) and three lens colors (black/grey, gold (fire), and blue (ice)), all polarized.  All 9 combinations of frame/lens are available.  I went with the white/black rubber and black/grey lenses with a $12 bid and won.  

They shipped quickly from NJ and arrived just before a week long family vacation in which I was going to play three times (Disney Palm, Magnolia, and Oak Trail).  I took my Half Jackets for comparison as well.

In terms of build quality, the only difference I can see between these and the equivalent Oakley model is they use screws at the pivots instead of compression fit.  This only becomes an issue if you plan to replace the stems (unlikely replacement parts are available for these) or if you sit on them... the Oakley model might pop apart instead of breaking.  Otherwise the build quality is top notch.  There are no molding lines like you see on cheap plastic frames.  The rubber pieces are removable but fit snugly and stretch the same way as Oakley rubber pieces.  The lenses have a strong polarization that can be seen are nearly 100% light blockage when you put the two lenses in line with one rotated 180*.

One thing that surprised me is the lenses are removable and look like they might be directly interchangeable with Oakley lenses as well as the plethora of third-party lenses available these days.  I tried and they are not 1:1 with Half Jacket lenses, but neither are Flak Jackets.  Given the low price, I can't see much reason to buy more expensive lenses, but if they are compatible, buying a set of these glasses just for the lenses might be an inexpensive way to replace lenses on a real pair of Flak Jackets... again, I can't confirm they are a 100% match yet... I've emailed the owner of the company, listed on a tag on the glasses, and haven't heard anything back.  My plan is to get the black/gold and silver/blue combos and then just swap around lenses as I see fit.

Anyway, long-and-short is if you're looking for a good budget alternative to the Oakley Flak Jacket, check eBay for Finz.  They also have a Radar style frame as well, but it's not the 1:1 design translation that the Flak Jacket style frames are.

It might not come across as such, but I have no affiliation with Finz, just happy with what I got from them for the price... I think my post count and history should bear this out as well.

Thanks for the heads up on these!  
I just purchased two of their Radar type styles. Can't beat the price with free shipping.
Will give my review of them in a few weeks.


#6 OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1282
  • Joined: 06/01/2005
  • Location:Reading, MA
  • Handicap:16.1
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

I just bought some Sundog DRAFT the other day for $54.95.  I am replacing 15 yr old Oakley E-wires that have been in great shape but the frame is starting to loose the ability to keep it's shape.  So far so good,  they fit my fat head really good and the lense quality is what I would expect in that price point.
Callaway RFE 9.5* Fubuki Alpha 70X
Callaway RFE 16.5* 4 wood UST Tour 86gr
Callaway X2Hot 19* * & Hogan CFT 21*
Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW KBS Tour
YES! Tracy
Vokey 52.08 & 58.08

#7 Gxhwh

Gxhwh

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189280
  • Joined: 06/28/2012
  • Location:Ga, USA
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

I am a Oakley fans. Feel they have enough kinds to fit all kind requirements.

#8 golfdad907

golfdad907

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24061
  • Joined: 01/15/2007
  • Location:DFW, TX
  • Ebay ID:golfdad_907
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

Used to wear Oakley's then went to maui jims.  The evolution lenses with titanium frames, sometimes I forget their even on.
Optiforce 440 Diamana B Series 60
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
XHot Pro Hybrids 20/23 Accra Shafts
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V
Versa 2 WBW SuperStoke 2.0
X Forged 52 and 58

#9 IsleOfMan

IsleOfMan

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138830
  • Joined: 09/09/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

View Postbuckeye88us, on 19 October 2012 - 07:06 AM, said:

Thanks for the heads up on these!  
I just purchased two of their Radar type styles. Can't beat the price with free shipping.
Will give my review of them in a few weeks.

I went ahead and got the Finz in black/gold and silver/blue (in addition to the white/grey I already had) of the Flak Jacket style which means I can mix/match all three frame and lens colors now.  I emailed the eBay seller and he let me have both for $25 shipped.  Also picked up an Oakley Ballistic case that will hold one assembled frame and 2 sets of spare lenses... should be a nice combo for travel.  After trying on some real Flak Jackets again this weekend, I will say the Oakley frames have slightly softer rubber for the nose.  I can't say for sure if the Finz will accept Oakley rubber on the nose, but I can tell by looking that they will not on the temple/stems (slightly different pattern).

Edited by IsleOfMan, 22 October 2012 - 12:39 PM.


#10 theslflash689

theslflash689

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116851
  • Joined: 10/30/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

I have some oakley flak jackets that my cousin gave to me from her sunglass store. I only wear it between shots. Don't like em on when I'm hitting.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 dpete

dpete

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104450
  • Joined: 03/08/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

I wear maui jim's with  prescription lens, they seem to work well.  Can't compare them to others, but they had a style I liked, and fit me well.

Edited by dpete, 23 October 2012 - 10:44 AM.


#12 kblahey

kblahey

    Kevbot

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5151
  • Joined: 08/15/2005
  • Location:Winnipeg, MB
  • Ebay ID:boss886
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

I have a pair of custom Oakley Flak Jackets that I wear all the time when playing, even when putting.
Cobra Amp Cell Driver
Cobra Amp Cell 3-4 Fairway wood
Cobra Amp Cell 3-4 Hybrid
Cobra S3 Pros 4-PW DGS300
Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Prototype
Titleist Vokey SM4 50, 54, 58

#13 sheppy335

sheppy335

    TMAG Junkie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Joined: 02/13/2006
  • Location:Pittsburgh PA
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 191

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

I am a firm Oakley user and dont plan on changing. all i can offer is for you to try the Kool Aid.
TM R1 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM RBZ Tour 13 Matrix Xcon 7
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM R11 4-pw Project X
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 DG Spinner
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

#14 Ryan2587

Ryan2587

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54152
  • Joined: 04/21/2008
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

Used to be a die hard oakley guy (8 pairs) but kept on having really bad experiences with customer service and incountering really rude sales reps. I have since changed to wearing Kaenon's and could not be happier. Everyone that I have ever delt with from kaenon has been super nice and are always willing to help out. They are a little on the expensive side, but well worth every penney.

#15 2putttom

2putttom

    American born Aussie at heart

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Joined: 04/24/2012
  • Location:N.California, Bodega Bay Golf Links
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 360

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

View Postsheppy335, on 31 October 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

I am a firm Oakley user and dont plan on changing. all i can offer is for you to try the Kool Aid.
Lol :rofl:

Cleveland classic 290 Aldila VooDoo RVS6
Titliest 910 13 * Aldila VooDoo SVS6
ADAMS CMB 3-6 TT X100 Tour Velvet stnd.
ADAMS MB2 7-pw TT X100 Tour Velvet stnd.
Mizuno MP-R12 & MP-R4
Bobby Grace "SNYPER" 4* loft
WITB Link

#16 Tarkata

Tarkata

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181780
  • Joined: 05/18/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

I buy ones that have wide lenses as i get watery eyes when there's wind, and there's always wind here.
I usually buy whatever is on sale...not much help, I know :(
Mizuno MP630 FT 10.5*
TM 300 Series 15*
Hogan Apex II 3-PW (1983)
Mizuno MP-R Blk Ni 52* & 56*
Odyssey White Hot XG 2

#17 prorobo

prorobo

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191834
  • Joined: 07/13/2012
  • Location:CT
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 383

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

Picked up Oakley Flak Jacket G30 XLJ's on Amazon not too long ago and they are simply amazing. I can't believe I waited 3 years to try a pair over regular sunglasses. No comparison at all.

#18 +Church

+Church

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147683
  • Joined: 11/20/2011
  • Location:Central Pennsylvania
  • Ebay ID:church717
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

Sundog, they're cheap so I'm not scared to drop them or lose them.

#19 mikenguyen

mikenguyen

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103152
  • Joined: 02/08/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

Adidas half rim evil eye (2012 model) - these are simply the best!!!!! (get the active lens). I have tried everything; oakley, nike, adidas tag heuer, ray ban etc. I have 10 different pairs!! Always come back to adidas. They have the best lenses. The slightly pink active lenses allow you to see the ball very well on sunny as well as overcast days. Depth perception is the best with these lenses. Take them off during a round (even on cloudy days) and you have no idea. Simply amazing. Allows you to see all the breaks on greens too. The frameless design makes for easy putting. Don't look as cool as oakley but who cares. I'm playing better with them. Also the arms are adjustable to suit different shaped faces. The germans sure do know how to design functional products.

Edited by mikenguyen, 09 November 2012 - 05:41 AM.


#20 jldavis73

jldavis73

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109897
  • Joined: 06/23/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

Oakley with the Solfx G30 lens.

Edited by jldavis73, 09 November 2012 - 07:13 AM.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5*/Phenom NL
Cleveland Classic XL 14*/Black Tie
Callaway X Utility/KBS Tour
Taylormade Rocketbladez Tour 3-PW/X200
588 RTX CB 52*/58*; xFT 64*
Odyssey Backstryke Sabretooth/Mid-Slim 2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 swizbeatz

swizbeatz

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137276
  • Joined: 08/22/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

I bought some oakley flak jackets with a few pairs of lenses for golf this summer, never wore them in the past.  Nobody ever talks about the change in depth perception, are there any sunglasses out there that have none?  If your not sure what I'm talking about, raise the sunglasses when they are on your face and focus on something about 2 feet away moving the glasses up and down.  Whatever I focus on changes position, admittedly its a small amount but still.  I tried to get used to it but no go unfortunately.
Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi
WITB Link

#22 arlingtonz

arlingtonz

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143845
  • Joined: 10/24/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

View Postgolfdad907, on 20 October 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

Used to wear Oakley's then went to maui jims.  The evolution lenses with titanium frames, sometimes I forget their even on.
This...

Putting with them on sometimes hides the grain, so I will flip them on top of the of my hat. Best glasses period.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors