Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

USGA confirms plan to make long-putter ruling in 2012

USGA Belly putter long putter

604 replies to this topic

#61 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

Powered by the old school

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51683
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 589

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

I don't think it's prudent to claim that anything is obvious at this point...would OEM's have an interest in a pending rule change...certainly...but these thinly veiled posts that information is out there...but it isn't being shared really only confuses the issue more..Coach Ditka would say, "Stop IT..."

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2250

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

View Posttopekareal, on 17 October 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

I don't think it's prudent to claim that anything is obvious at this point...would OEM's have an interest in a pending rule change...certainly...but these thinly veiled posts that information is out there...but it isn't being shared really only confuses the issue more..Coach Ditka would say, "Stop IT..."

So you think they have announced a ruling is coming only to then announce that nothing is changing? If they were going to do nothing wouldn't they, in fact, do nothing? The rule against anchoring is coming. There is little doubt about that at this point.
RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#63 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

• 4,285 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

I wouldn't put anything past the USGA and/or RA at this point..I think they are capable of screwing up nearly anything....I think anyone who believes a rule changing is coming...and that change will be swift, without controversy and seamlessly implemented is fooling themselves...if they were going to do nothing, that is still an option at this point...doesn't mean I don't believe they will make some ruling, it just seems a bit silly to me to get so far ahead of something which will likely take many twists and turns before it reaches a resolution...

#64 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,718 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

View Posttopekareal, on 17 October 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

I wouldn't put anything past the USGA and/or RA at this point..I think they are capable of screwing up nearly anything....I think anyone who believes a rule changing is coming...and that change will be swift, without controversy and seamlessly implemented is fooling themselves...if they were going to do nothing, that is still an option at this point...doesn't mean I don't believe they will make some ruling, it just seems a bit silly to me to get so far ahead of something which will likely take many twists and turns before it reaches a resolution...

uh, What?

"It is not legal for the player to anchor the club to the his or her body while making a stroke"

Where is the ambiguity? If you mean people are going to whine and complain about it, I will agree. But that didn't do much do dissuade them from the groove rule. Where there was actual outrage. Even from the OEM's and all they really wanted (titleist especially) was an additional year before it was implemented.
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#65 TexasAg

TexasAg

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1312
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PostKYMAR, on 17 October 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

If you mean people are going to whine and complain about it, I will agree. But that didn't do much do dissuade them from the groove rule. Where there was actual outrage. Even from the OEM's and all they really wanted (titleist especially) was an additional year before it was implemented.

The groove ruling was stupid and did not have the intended effect.  This hypothetical change (and it's purely speculative at this point) will impact the ability of PGA tour pros to earn a living.  This is going to be a very different animal than the rule change, IMO.

#66 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

• 4,285 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

My friend, ambiguity is all this conversation is...there isn't any portion of this conversation which is black and white...you're quoting a rule which either doesn't exist or isn't followed...the ruling bodies tell us they are going to tell us something that they have plans on telling us....we have people dropping hints that decisions have been made and articulated to OEM's, yet nothing has come out publicly...everyone is in a wait-and-see mode until we have better information....but then again, it seems like maybe some of us already have that better information, but aren't willing/able to share it...yet, you're asking where the ambiguity is....I guess I'll reiterate what I've said many times before, which is if this were such a clear cut decision, there would be no benefit in delaying what should be such a clear and simple rule...but clearly, it isn't that simple...

#67 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 17,622 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4105

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

If the USGA is going to ban it then ban it. If not, then don't. This three year this or three year that is BS.

#68 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44297
GolfWRX Likes : 689

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

Posted Image

#69 tElihu

tElihu

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87680
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

Would be nice if the USGA addressed equipment that is rendering classic courses obsolete (ball and driver) before those that only make the game harder for the average golfer.

But that's par for the course for the USGA.

#70 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

View PosttElihu, on 17 October 2012 - 04:46 PM, said:

Would be nice if the USGA addressed equipment that is rendering classic courses obsolete (ball and driver) before those that only make the game harder for the average golfer.

But that's par for the course for the USGA.

Come on now, there is no definitive, beyond a shadow of a doubt proof that they help anyone putt better, so by that token taking it away can't possibly make the game harder for the average golfer...

Edited by jnradioactive, 17 October 2012 - 05:02 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#71 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

• 4,285 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

Oh dear...you're missing the entire point...the argument has never been whether or not a belly putter makes a part of the game easier for anyone..belly putters help SOME players...but so do the other myriad technologies which we've discussed ad naseaum....the point is whether or not the technique or equipment is violating an established rule...or whether there should be a rule which makes either the equipment or technique illegal...

#72 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

View Postwill227457, on 17 October 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

View Posthighergr0und, on 17 October 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

I still haven't seen the data that shows there is a clear cut advantage derived from the use of long putters.

This

Is it really an advantage? and if it is why is not every tour pro using one?

View Posttopekareal, on 17 October 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

Oh dear...you're missing the entire point...the argument has never been whether or not a belly putter makes a part of the game easier for anyone..belly putters help SOME players...but so do the other myriad technologies which we've discussed ad naseaum....the point is whether or not the technique or equipment is violating an established rule...or whether there should be a rule which makes either the equipment or technique illegal...

I know your opinion is the only one you care about or apparently read, but there are plenty here who do indeed think the argument is that they "must not provide any advantage otherwise everyone would use them"  but since you did not say that I guess you assume no one has said that....

Must be tough...center of the universe and all...

#73 rafal

rafal

PM2TM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95401
GolfWRX Likes : 888

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

Belly brigade is twisting themselves into a logical pretzel as they have for a couple of years.

I have no way to compensate for not driving 300 but my ham fisted buddy could get around his lack of feel on the green by using a belly putter.  Well, maybe no longer.
TM SLDR S 12*
TM MINI 16*
TM SF 1.0 5W/7W
Ping G25 4-LW
TM DLL 35"

#74 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2321

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:19 PM

View Postrafal, on 17 October 2012 - 07:17 PM, said:

I have no way to compensate for not driving 300 but my ham fisted buddy could get around his lack of feel on the green by using a belly putter.  Well, maybe no longer.

I believe you.  Really I do
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#75 teeituphigh

teeituphigh

PGA Pro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30165
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

View PostCARDY, on 17 October 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

complete insanity

I think am's (outside of USGA events) will be able to use them until 2025 ... like the wedges

I also think the PGA tour will waive the rule .. too many up and comers use them

From a few guys I deal with in the know, the ruling will be about the anchoring and making a stroke where a putter grip cannot "fulcrum" off one fixed position ie the grip has to move

That is unfair.  So rule out sternum and navel anchoring but make forearm and upper arm anchoring legal ???  Why ?

Let's ban wedges at 60* or higher ... let's ban rescues .. .let's ban graphite in irons .. let's ban anything that helps more people stay in the game.

Rescues is a great example.  Some players love them and some hate them ... just like putters

Golf is too hard for most everyone nowadays (wrxer's excluded) and now they want to make it more complicated.

^^^^^ This. The game is in a deep amount of trouble with numbers down all over the globe. (except Taylormades obviously...)

#76 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59803
GolfWRX Likes : 529

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

View PostTexasAg, on 17 October 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

View PostKYMAR, on 17 October 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

If you mean people are going to whine and complain about it, I will agree. But that didn't do much do dissuade them from the groove rule. Where there was actual outrage. Even from the OEM's and all they really wanted (titleist especially) was an additional year before it was implemented.

The groove ruling was stupid and did not have the intended effect.  This hypothetical change (and it's purely speculative at this point) will impact the ability of PGA tour pros to earn a living.  This is going to be a very different animal than the rule change, IMO.

I'm passed caring if the USGA does or doesn't ban anchoring, but one thing I don't understand is the argument that it will hurt PGA pros ability to make a living. No it won't. PGA pros will still make their money, the names just might change. You could argue that any change ever made to the rules hurt someone. If you were good at stymie-ing people it hurt you when they took that away. You just have to adapt to the new rules, or lose out to someone else who does.

#77 Wknd_Warrior

Wknd_Warrior

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175880
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

Hurt the pga pro's ability to make a living?  I hate to say it but, who cares?  Last I checked the tour was the best of the best and you have to play your way on, how's that gonna change?  Maybe some of the faces will change but that's just too bad, like it's too bad I never got good enough to make a few mil a year playing on tour.

#78 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,718 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

"What is this lawsuit about Mr Bradley?"

"Well your Honor, I simply feel like this new rule banning the anchoring of my putter to my body is limiting my ability to make money as a player on the PGA tour. BUT, there is no evidence these putters really make me a better putter! NO EVIDENCE OF THAT AT ALL!!!!"
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#79 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

• 4,285 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

View Postjnradioactive, on 17 October 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

View Postwill227457, on 17 October 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

View Posthighergr0und, on 17 October 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

I still haven't seen the data that shows there is a clear cut advantage derived from the use of long putters.

This

Is it really an advantage? and if it is why is not every tour pro using one?

View Posttopekareal, on 17 October 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

I know your opinion is the only one you care about or apparently read, but there are plenty here who do indeed think the argument is that they "must not provide any advantage otherwise everyone would use them"  but since you did not say that I guess you assume no one has said that....

Must be tough...center of the universe and all...

I'm not sure levying personal insults is the most appropriate or mature way to continue the conversation...but so be it...If you have some actual facts or items to discuss, that would be wonderful, but I get the sense that isn't the way you tend to operate...

#80 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

• 4,285 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

View PostKYMAR, on 17 October 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

"Well your Honor, I simply feel like this new rule banning the anchoring of my putter to my body is limiting my ability to make money as a player on the PGA tour. BUT, there is no evidence these putters really make me a better putter! NO EVIDENCE OF THAT AT ALL!!!!"

Again, I think you're missing the point.....I don't know that anyone is suggesting that belly putters don't help....there are many players who believe they putt better with them and they give them the best chance to win...but does that necessitate a rule change?  When you start to appeal to the history and tradition of the game in order to make a rule change, it's because there isn't any objective data or clear information on which to base a change...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#81 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,718 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:27 PM

View Posttopekareal, on 17 October 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

View PostKYMAR, on 17 October 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

Again, I think you're missing the point.....I don't know that anyone is suggesting that belly putters don't help....there are many players who believe they putt better with them and they give them the best chance to win...but does that necessitate a rule change?  When you start to appeal to the history and tradition of the game in order to make a rule change, it's because there isn't any objective data or clear information on which to base a change...

I don't appeal to the history of the game from a strictly nostalgic perspective. But I believe there is plenty of room to simply use the existing wording of the rules to outlaw the practice of creating an artificial fulcrum when producing a stroke. I realize the argument could then easily be "well why now, people have used these putters in this way for 15, 20 years or more" and it's a decent one. But simply because they were slow to act isn't justification for not acting now.

And I am not sure how you say that I am missing the point. Maybe it's not your opinion that anchored putters aren't an advantage for some ( again, not NECESSARILY an advantage over a given opponent, but over their own ability to putt otherwise) but just read this thread or any thread like it again. It's the most commonly used argument out there. That and the specious "well why isn't everyone one using one then?" I read and hear that all the time. It's baffling to me that the obvious answer eludes those who ask it. It's because those in the vast majority who don't anchor a putter haven't in desperation, resorted to using one to fix their flawed stroke. Which also goes to the heart of the matter about this being somehow so uniquely unfair, some will have a leg to stand on in court were they to choose to sue the USGA. What could the basis of that lawsuit possibly be other than "I need to be able to anchor the putter to myself in order to sustain the level of play this stroke has allowed me to achieve" or at least something like that?  Any such lawsuit is an admission of a lack of the skill required to putt to a similar level with a non anchored putter. I think few would be willing to face the scrutiny that would surely follow for even attempting to make that case.
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#82 bobfoster

bobfoster

Best Sport on Earth. Ever.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104921
GolfWRX Likes : 213

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

IMO, putting is not like any other stroke in the game ... it is generally 90% psychological and 10% physical.

Objectively, some parts of equipment do matter ... nearly every player was affected by the groove rule. Virtually every player uses a 460 driver.

The putter? The top five on the money in the US PGA are Rory, Tiger, Brandt, Jason, and Bubba.

How many of them used a belly putter in the Fedex finals?

#83 Jamboy72

Jamboy72