Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

USGA confirms plan to make long-putter ruling in 2012

USGA Belly putter long putter

604 replies to this topic

#31 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2484

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

View Posthighergr0und, on 17 October 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

I still haven't seen the data that shows there is a clear cut advantage derived from the use of long putters.

No one is claiming there is an advantage for Player A who uses a long putter over player B who doesn't. There is obviously an advantage for Player A over his natural ability to putt without anchoring the putter to themselves.

RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 eric_b

eric_b

I will NOT tuck in my shirt!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150423
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

View PostMtlJeff, on 16 October 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

pretty crazy to think that if Keegan and Webb don't win majors this almost certainly doesn't happen. They caused their own demise. USGA was fine with it as long as people weren't winning. Think about that for a second....

Yeah....just think, if it weren't for 2 guys winning 2 of the 4 tournaments you've been told are more important and, like mindless sheep, you drank that kool-aid....this wouldn't have happened.

Seriously, how retarded is that?  Anchored putting....i don't like it, but whatever.  Win some tournaments....meh, whatever.  Some dude wins the PGA with one....OH THE TRAVESTY....NOT ONE OF THE MAJORS!!

#33 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

Powered by the old school

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,374 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51683
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 652

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

View PostVindog, on 17 October 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

View Posttopekareal, on 17 October 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

Wait...so they're telling us that they are going to tell us something that they already told us they would eventually be telling us - Do I have this right?

Yes...yes you do.

Although there is some new information in that now we're told that if it happens it will be a rule change, and not an equipment conformity change.  What does this mean?  It means that an early ruling under 14-3 becomes less of a probability.  If not making an equipment change, then that only leaves unusual use of equipment, which imo, would have been ruled upon earlier if it was such unusual use.

ah yes...we are of one mind kemosabi

#34 mwkbmw

mwkbmw

Play. Fast.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184910
  • Handicap:5.1
GolfWRX Likes : 547

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

View PostKYMAR, on 17 October 2012 - 09:48 AM, said:

I still haven't seen the data that shows there is a clear cut advantage derived from the use of long putters.

No one is claiming there is an advantage for Player A who uses a long putter over player B who doesn't. There is obviously an advantage for Player A over his natural ability to putt without anchoring the putter to themselves.

Absolutely. Anchored putters, IMHO, make poor putters better. I don't think they really benefit good putters as much. I was goofing off at the local big box store the other day and putted with several different style putters, including a belly. I made a pretty decent percentage of 12 footers regardless of the putter I used. It only confirmed to me that it is the stroke that matters most. That is why I think anchoring gives an advantage to those who cannot control their stroke. Much easier to be consistent with a fixed fulcrum.

Edited by mwkbmw, 17 October 2012 - 10:03 AM.

TaylorMade SLDR 9.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Nickent 4DX 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & 58

#35 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 774

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

But opinions and making putts in a big box store don't really count do they?  Is there actual tangible data that shows the statistic that anchoring increases putting ability?  If so, then ban away.  

The ruling revolves around a perception that may or may not be true.  There are a myriad of other ways to putt out there, left hand low, the claw, anchor on the forearm, double overlap, etc, etc, that are all ways for someone to control their stroke, yet none of them are being looked at as far as we know....

The problem here is that it's (potentially) a ruling made based on traditionalism above all else.  I like traditions, but it's a slippery slope.

#36 jackfig

jackfig

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92822
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

View Posttopekareal, on 17 October 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

Wait...so they're telling us that they are going to tell us something that they already told us they would eventually be telling us - Do I have this right?

Correct, but this time with a little less vague specificity.

#37 mwkbmw

mwkbmw

Play. Fast.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184910
  • Handicap:5.1
GolfWRX Likes : 547

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

View Posthighergr0und, on 17 October 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

But opinions and making putts in a big box store don't really count do they?  Is there actual tangible data that shows the statistic that anchoring increases putting ability?  If so, then ban away.  

The ruling revolves around a perception that may or may not be true.  There are a myriad of other ways to putt out there, left hand low, the claw, anchor on the forearm, double overlap, etc, etc, that are all ways for someone to control their stroke, yet none of them are being looked at as far as we know....

The problem here is that it's (potentially) a ruling made based on traditionalism above all else.  I like traditions, but it's a slippery slope.

None of those methods prevent the arms and hands from moving closer or further from the body during the stroke. Anchoring does.

Edit: I should clarify that I am speaking mainly about the belly putters. I have not tried the broomstick. Too foreign. Couldn't bring myself to do it.

Edited by mwkbmw, 17 October 2012 - 10:27 AM.

TaylorMade SLDR 9.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Nickent 4DX 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & 58

#38 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,818 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2448

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

I would rather rulings be made on some evidentiary basis also, but this is the USGA we're talking about here.

If they want to make themselves appear to be reactionary and arbitrary, then that's their call.

Either way, I'm not offended.  I think the butthurt over them all together is amusing, to be honest.

Edited by Vindog, 17 October 2012 - 10:23 AM.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#39 lumberman2462

lumberman2462

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116473
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1012

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

View Posthighergr0und, on 17 October 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

I agree.  I play with a group of about 15-20 players that are all pretty decent.  6-8 of them use belly putters and I've never believed that it's helped any of them that much.  One guy was a great putter before he switched to the belly and he's still a great putter.  The rest.....they're ok, but certainly not holing every putt they look at.
SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura Tournament Blades 2-W
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 56C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade
Scratch James Ingels Blade

#40 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44297
GolfWRX Likes : 714

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

+ a million,

I cant understand how people have such a hard time grasping this simple concept... Ernie Els with a long putter is better than Ernie Els without a long putter. Ernie Els without a long putter probably wouldn't have the 2012 open. same goes for Bradley and Simpson...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,818 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

View Postjnradioactive, on 17 October 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

+ a million,

I cant understand how people have such a hard time grasping this simple concept... Ernie Els with a long putter is better than Ernie Els without a long putter. Ernie Els without a long putter probably wouldn't have the 2012 open. same goes for Bradley and Simpson...
How many times can you bring this up and be proven wrong?

You need some new material.  Seriously
shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#42 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

What "data" is needed beyond the obvious nature of the differences between an anchored stroke and a non-anchored stroke? The idea that you can compare X number of Anchored players to X number of non-anchored players and come up with a statistic is a flawed notion. If there were data to mine, it would be comparing a players puttinng before and after going to an anchored putter. I am not sure there are enough examples of that to make any findings meaningful.

Every single one of the other examples you gave, Left hand low, the claw, double overlap do nothing to eliminate any requirement of making a stroke. Anchoring, in any form, clearly seeks to eliminate the skill required to do so. If i gave you a rifle and target and told you to shoot from a standing position and then shoot while resting the barrel on a fence, do you think you would see quicker improvement doing the latter? of course you would. Removing the need to keep a steady hand is clearly cheating. NOT necessarily cheating your opponent, but cheating your own lack of ability.

Edited by KYMAR, 17 October 2012 - 10:28 AM.

TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#43 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

View PostVindog, on 17 October 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

View Postjnradioactive, on 17 October 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

+ a million,

How many times can you bring this up and be proven wrong?

You need some new material.  Seriously

Proven wrong??? what data, what facts have proven me wrong?

#44 Will Par

Will Par

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 671 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48373
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

Go to the PGA Tour Stats page for Adam Scott.  Look up his strokes gained putting stat.  For 2009 it was minus .888.  For 2010 it was minus .746.  Then just prior to the 2011 Masters he went to the long putter.  For 2011 his stroke gained putting stat was minus .172 and for 2012 it is now minus .204.  He is still losing over a stroke per round to a great putters like Luke Donald and Brandt Snedeker, but he improved over a half stroke per round over the way he was putting in 2009 and 2010.  This is clearly one example of a player who improved his putting significantly by changing to a long putter.

#45 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

View PostKYMAR, on 17 October 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

What "data" is needed beyond the obvious nature of the differences between an anchored stroke and a non-anchored stroke? The idea that you can compare X number of Anchored players to X number of non-anchored players and come up with a statistic is a flawed notion. If there were data to mine, it would be comparing a players puttinng before and after going to an anchored putter. I am not sure there are enough examples of that to make any findings meaningful.

Every single one of the other examples you gave, Left hand low, the claw, double overlap do nothing to eliminate any requirement of making a stroke. Anchoring, in any form, clearly seeks to eliminate the skill required to do so. If i gave you a rifle and target and told you to shoot from a standing position and then shoot while resting the barrel on a fence, do you think you would see quicker improvement doing the latter? of course you would. Removing the need to keep a steady hand is clearly cheating. NOT necessarily cheating your opponent, but cheating your own lack of ability.

Better yet just shoot the rifle without BRACING it against your shoulder and again while BRACING it against the shoulder. that would simulate a two point connection vs. a 3 point connection

#46 Vindog

Vindog

• Advanced Members
  • 12,818 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

View Postjnradioactive, on 17 October 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

If we're going to go that route....

You are making the assertion, thus the burden of proof is on you to provide facts for your findings.  Let's start there.

Edited by Vindog, 17 October 2012 - 10:42 AM.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

#47 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

The claw, left hand low, and other alternative grips all compensate for a defect in the putting stroke, just like anchoring.

#48 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

View PostVindog, on 17 October 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

You are making the assertion, thus the burden of proof is on you to provide facts for your findings.  Let's start there.

The only reason Els won the open is because another guy with a long putter faded down the stretch.

Edited by highergr0und, 17 October 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#49 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

View Posthighergr0und, on 17 October 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

The claw, left hand low, and other alternative grips all compensate for a defect in the putting stroke, just like anchoring.

That is 100% false. Anchoring seeks to eliminate the need for a skill set. These other compensations seek only to make those skill sets repeatable and comfortable. Be honest with yourself and the distinction between creating an artificial fulcrum point and placing the left hand low is clear. Same with the claw, same with any alternative, non-anchored grip.
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#50 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

View PostVindog, on 17 October 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

Weak dog very weak...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#51 will227457

will227457

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116125
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

This

Is it really an advantage? and if it is why is not every tour pro using one?

#52 Jamboy72

Jamboy72