Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Blaketree National

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gigemaggs99

gigemaggs99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205529
  • Handicap:8.9
  • Ebay ID:gigemaggs99
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

Playing there for the first time this Sunday, any tips?

Thanks.

1W, 3W, 7W.. Taylormade RBZ stage 2
Irons... Titleist DCI Gold 4-PW
Wedges... Titleist DCI Gold 52*, 56*
Putter...Odyssey Backstryke Marxman
Ball... Nike PD Soft
http://www.gamegolf....layer/gigemaggs

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 cpriceAP2

cpriceAP2

Super Duffer!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103981
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:luvn2fish
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

DON'T

#3 kgk

kgk

Slapshot

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6361
  • Handicap:3.1
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

"Don't" my a**.  
Blaketree is a Crenshaw\Coore design and if it was in Woodforest shape it would be a south Texas top 5.  
As it is, it's not in the best shape but it is challenging and a grea change of pace from flat, boring Houston courses.  

Apparently it is closing on Monday though, so if you haven't been, this may be the last weekend you have the opportunity.  I for one will be there.

#4 Johnny Hack

Johnny Hack

US Air Force Veteran

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146487
  • Handicap:3.8
  • Ebay ID:2dollarnassau
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

I have not checked to see if they are closing but if that is true it will be a great loss to Golf in the Houston area. Although they have had financial issues for quite some time and the conditions there have suffered because of it, They layout its self is fantastic.  Prior to the passing of Mr. Blake, the founder and owner, it was a true joy to play. After he passed, the family did not want to continue on as its owners and that was its downfall. The club was originally built so that Mr. Blake (Houston Oil Tycoon) and his friends would have a place to call there own. Ben Crenshaw was involved in its design and "The Cabins and Clubhouse" were very "Augusta-ish" in there design and decor. Truly a great loss of what was once a beautiful facility.
Superfast 2.0 TP
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 Wood
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 18* Hybrid
Razr X Tour 4-AW
Ping Gorge Wedges 54* & 58*
Ping ZB S - Srixon Z Star/ XV

#5 Txwedge

Txwedge

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146359
  • Ebay ID:gbeau61
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

View PostJohnny Hack, on 07 November 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

I have not checked to see if they are closing but if that is true it will be a great loss to Golf in the Houston area. Although they have had financial issues for quite some time and the conditions there have suffered because of it, They layout its self is fantastic.  Prior to the passing of Mr. Blake, the founder and owner, it was a true joy to play. After he passed, the family did not want to continue on as its owners and that was its downfall. The club was originally built so that Mr. Blake (Houston Oil Tycoon) and his friends would have a place to call there own. Ben Crenshaw was involved in its design and "The Cabins and Clubhouse" were very "Augusta-ish" in there design and decor. Truly a great loss of what was once a beautiful facility.

I guess they are closed...phone is disconnected. I liked the course alot used to go there solo just to get away. Never in excellent shape but layout is awesome & tough to boot. Greens were most undulating in area & fast...too bad its closed.

#6 Onyx Z

Onyx Z

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129053
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

If this is even the place I'm thinking about:

I drove by it six months ago just to see where it was and I thought I went too far until I finally saw the sign, then the entrance looked like a private drive. IMO, location is what took this course down.

If you didn't hear about this course by word of mouth, chances are you had no idea this course was even there.

Just my $.02....

Edited by Onyx Z, 12 November 2012 - 02:07 PM.

#7 Johnny Hack

Johnny Hack

US Air Force Veteran

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146487
  • Handicap:3.8
  • Ebay ID:2dollarnassau
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

View PostOnyx Z, on 12 November 2012 - 02:07 PM, said:

If this is even the place I'm thinking about:

I drove by it six months ago just to see where it was and I thought I went too far until I finally saw the sign, then the entrance looked like a private drive. IMO, location is what took this course down.

If you didn't hear about this course by word of mouth, chances are you had no idea this course was even there.

Just my $.02....

You are correct, that was the place. But keep in mind that when it was built it was not for the public to play, it was built by Mr. Blake to be for him, his guests (other ultra rich cronies), and whomever he felt like inviting out to play. It was a place for the Oil Industry Mucky-Mucks of the day, to get together, conduct business, both financial and the monkey type, and be "Away from it all" within an hours drive from their Downtown Offices.
When Mr Blake passed away, all the family could see was the dollar signs that they could get for the property, and the fact that they wouldnt have to hassle with the cost and day to day operations of running a golf course.

Edited by Johnny Hack, 12 November 2012 - 08:24 PM.

Superfast 2.0 TP
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 Wood
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 18* Hybrid
Razr X Tour 4-AW
Ping Gorge Wedges 54* & 58*
Ping ZB S - Srixon Z Star/ XV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors