Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Lost my University Golf Coach

Passed away yesterday a.m.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cardoustie

cardoustie

Unbeatable Twosome

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:37 AM

Just wanted to share some stories about the passing of a great guy that was one of my coaches at the University of Guelph in the early 1990's.

Big Joe was one of a handful of true characters that changed/influenced my life.   His stories and jokes were legendary.   As were his bar brawl stories from his early 20's, when it was widely known he could easily handle 5 or 6 opponents at once

He was a former boxer that trained with Rocky Marciano and you did not want to be on the receiving end of one of his love taps.  The man had fists like hams and his hand strength was incredible.   I can't imagine how strong he would have been from the ages of 20-45.   He had the ability to take a quarter and bend it between his two thumbs in mid air - there was no pressing it down on an edge or anything.
Think about that !  I still have one of those quarters.

He gave us some choice expressions (not suitable for a msg board) and called himself "the down the middle kid."  He was always breaking 80 even at 66 yrs old.

You couldn't meet a more generous person or find someone to say just the right thing when the going was good or the going got tough.  A very important trait in any coach leading impressionable young men between the ages of 19-23.

Anyways, I don't want to be a downer, just felt I'd share a few tales of a gent everyone here would have loved to golf with or to have shared cocktails.  Thinking of all the great times we shared together is somewhat cathartic and I am proud our team/coaches got into the Athletics Hall of Fame 5 yrs ago - he was tickled pink with that accomplishment

Hicokalora !

Titleist 10.5* 910 D2 Fuji TS 757x
Ping G25 4w Speeder TS 869x
PIng G25 20* Speeder TS FTBx
Ping Rapture J 4 iron
Vokey TVD sm4 M 50 & 54 + T62
Ping S55's Nippon 1150gh X

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,715 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2248

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

Great write up Cardy. Sorry for your loss of someone who influenced you like he did.

R.I.P
RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#3 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 392

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:13 AM

Sorry for your loss but much more happy for your gain from knowing him.

#4 cb24

cb24

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142533
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

you are not being a downer at all but uplifting us readers for giving such a vivid picture of what a genuine and great guy your coach was.  Hard to find people like that these days, I aspire to be that genuine.

#5 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,404 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1118

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

Sorry for you loss my friend. Memories will always carry on.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
Editor Product Reviews
Product Tester/Review Panel
Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
See ya on the green...Kadin

#6 LULynx'er

LULynx'er

Lynx Golfer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •