Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Long drive ball test results - Hex Black vs e7 vs Pinnacle Gold (pics)


  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 golfnhack

golfnhack

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119615
  • Joined: 12/31/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 187

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

So I had a scramble this past weekend, and decided I would test some balls to use on the Longest Drive hole. The current ball I use is the Callaway Hex Tour Black. Doing some research on this site, the Pinnacle Gold and Bridgestone e7 were mentioned as good long drive balls. I bought a sleeve of both, and headed to the range.

The order of play was as follows (I only had 2 Hex Tour blacks in my bag unfortunately):

Hex Tour Black
e7
Pinnacle
Hex Tour Black
e7
Pinnacle
e7
Pinnacle

Out of all 8 shots, I only had 1 mishit (toe hit). It was with the first Pinnacle. I eliminated that ball from the results. I crushed all the other drives though. The wind was about 5 miles into me, from the left. All the balls ended up on the fairway.

One thing was very clear. If you are looking for a long drive ball.... AVOID THE PINNACLE at all costs. Trajectory was much higher. Dispersion was the worst of the 3 balls, and distance was seriously lacking. The 3 pinnacles were the shortest of all the balls. The mis-hit (was not a BAD mishit... just toeish) was 15 yards behind the next shortest... which was also a pinnacle, which was 10 yards behind the next shorted (you guessed it, a pinnacle), which was 8 yards behind the next shortest.

The 4th shortest ball was a bridgestone. That ball was only about 5 yards short of the next e7. The last e7 was about 3 yards further. The e7's were very close in distance.

The 2 Callaway Hex Tour blacks ended up being the longest drives. They only got the furthest e7 by a yard, but they were the 2 longest balls.

So the Hex Tour Black beat the e7. As mentioned though, there was not much in it. I was quite surprised. I was expecting the long drive balls to win. I was REALLY surprised by how poorly the Pinnacle balls peformed. They were not even close. As mentioned. Dispersion with them was just horrible.

In conclusion, if you are looking for a cheap ball (the e7's are $27) and don't care much for green-side performance, the e7's are a good option. However, if you want a great performing ball without giving up green-side performance, the Hex Tour Black is a great option.

Below are the pics. It was taken with my iPhone. Angles and depth perception aren't the best, and don't really convey what I saw.

[attachment=1382687:1.JPG]
[attachment=1382689:2.JPG]
[attachment=1382691:3.JPG]
[attachment=1382693:4.JPG]


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 apprenti23

apprenti23

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40702
  • Joined: 10/11/2007
  • Location:Chicago, IL
  • Ebay ID:tourpro15
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

Just an observation but maybe you don't swing hard enough to generate enough spin off the tee to maximize the distance out of the lower spinning e7 and pinnacle balls. I play the callaway ball and love it!

Edited by apprenti23, 14 October 2012 - 09:41 AM.


#3 BallPincher

BallPincher

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125871
  • Joined: 04/04/2011
  • Location:Madison, WI
  • Ebay ID:moonman12
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

OP, what is your driver SS and carry distance?
Nike VR Ltd 9.5 Diamana Ahina X
Nike VR Str8-Fit 15 Diamana BB X
Callaway X-14 2-PW Dynamic Gold X100
Nike VR Forged 52 & 58 C-Taper S
Nike Method Core MC-01w

#4 golfnhack

golfnhack

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119615
  • Joined: 12/31/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 187

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

Don't think that is the case. 102-105 SS.

#5 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

    Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
  • Location:Maine
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2921

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

5 mph wind into your face might account a little bit. Pinnacle would launch highest of that group and be affected the most. I think...

Mizuno Mp 650 9.5/Whiteboard 73x
Mizuno Mp 650 15, 18/Aldila Vs Proto 80x
Mizuno Mp 68 3-pw/DG x100
Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
PING Anser Milled #2
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#6 Rosco1216

Rosco1216

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117052
  • Joined: 11/04/2010
  • Location:Arkansas
  • Ebay ID:Rosco1216
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

102-105SS could be the case.
SLDRs 10*-Elements Chr 8F5T tip1.5"
RBZ Stage 2 14.5*- searching
Rocketbladez Tour 3i 20* - PX Rifle 6.5
Bridgestone J40DPC 4-P, PX Rifle 6.5
Vokey SM4 black 50, 55, 62
Odyssey Versa 1W 38"

#7 ProjectX

ProjectX

    Fore Aces Golf Club Board Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50236
  • Joined: 02/29/2008
  • Location:Santa Clara, CA
  • Ebay ID:SlanginT1s
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

The Pinnacle Gold was the first ball to break the 200mph ball speed barrier. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that ball might not fit your swing ;-)
G25 9.5* Fubuki 63X
RBZ Stage 2 Tour TP 14.5* Fubuki 73X
Anser 17* Fubuki 415X
ZTX-2 3-P KBS Tour X
588 Custom RTG 54 & 60 KBS Tour X
Metal X #7

#8 ROBOPTI

ROBOPTI

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15525
  • Joined: 06/16/2006
  • Location:THE BIG EASY - NAWLINS
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

 Rosco1216, on 14 October 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

102-105SS could be the case.

Let me assure you .... IT IS !!!!

You don't have enuf gas to get the max out of the Pinnacle ... Let's be homest 102-105mph isnt a "longdrive speed" ... so it's all relative

THAT BEING SAID ... Good thread if taken for info ... A good example of mph and ball compression testing

WELL DONE !!!

#9 Rosco1216

Rosco1216

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117052
  • Joined: 11/04/2010
  • Location:Arkansas
  • Ebay ID:Rosco1216
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

 ROBOPTI, on 14 October 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

 Rosco1216, on 14 October 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

102-105SS could be the case.

Let me assure you .... IT IS !!!!

You don't have enuf gas to get the max out of the Pinnacle ... Let's be homest 102-105mph isnt a "longdrive speed" ... so it's all relative

THAT BEING SAID ... Good thread if taken for info ... A good example of mph and ball compression testing

WELL DONE !!!

Yes, I was being a little passive.  102-105SS isn't in the long drive range to test a "long drive ball".  No offense to the OP.
SLDRs 10*-Elements Chr 8F5T tip1.5"
RBZ Stage 2 14.5*- searching
Rocketbladez Tour 3i 20* - PX Rifle 6.5
Bridgestone J40DPC 4-P, PX Rifle 6.5
Vokey SM4 black 50, 55, 62
Odyssey Versa 1W 38"

#10 golfnhack

golfnhack

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119615
  • Joined: 12/31/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 187

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

You are totally missing the point of my post.

First. I did not enter a "LONG DRIVE" contest. It was a test to see what ball to use for 1 drive in a scramble where there was a longest drive contest on 1 hole. BTW: I won the longest drive.

Second. Your compression theory is absolutely bogus.

Latest compression data...

http://www.golfwrx.c...tach_id=1148574

Compression
hex - 117, 98, 114, 96
e7 - 103, 84, 104, 86
pinnacle 91, 72, 96, 78

You are saying that the pinnacle is 20 yards shorter, because I am such a wimp (102-105 mph) that I can't compress the ball enough to get the distance

That's quite an interesting statement, considering that the pinnacle is the lowest compression ball of the 3 (by a GIGANTIC MILE), and that I achieved the most distance with the hex tour black.

Edited by golfnhack, 15 October 2012 - 11:18 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#11 Shrapnac

Shrapnac

    Cinderella Story

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,068 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199518
  • Joined: 08/22/2012
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Handicap:Beer
GolfWRX Likes : 396

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

I think the biggest issue is that you didn't hit nearly enough balls for this to be in any way accurate.

The sample size simply isn't big enough.

#12 cristphoto

cristphoto

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
  • Joined: 11/30/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

 Shrapnac, on 15 October 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

I think the biggest issue is that you didn't hit nearly enough balls for this to be in any way accurate.

The sample size simply isn't big enough.

Bingo.  Plus it could be a poorly matched setup. A low ball hitter hitting a low flight ball or the reverse - a high ball hitter playing a high flight ball. Those combinations won't get optimum distance.

#13 golfnhack

golfnhack

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119615
  • Joined: 12/31/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 187

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

 cristphoto, on 15 October 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

 Shrapnac, on 15 October 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

I think the biggest issue is that you didn't hit nearly enough balls for this to be in any way accurate.

The sample size simply isn't big enough.

Bingo.  Plus it could be a poorly matched setup. A low ball hitter hitting a low flight ball or the reverse - a high ball hitter playing a high flight ball. Those combinations won't get optimum distance.

Your argument does not hold water. I am a low-ball hitter (8* launch angle with a 11.5* driver). The e7 and Hex black are low hitting balls. The Pinnacle ball flight was dramatically higher. With your logic, I should have hit the Pinnacle further.

#14 cristphoto

cristphoto

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
  • Joined: 11/30/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

 golfnhack, on 15 October 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

 cristphoto, on 15 October 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

 Shrapnac, on 15 October 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

I think the biggest issue is that you didn't hit nearly enough balls for this to be in any way accurate.

The sample size simply isn't big enough.

Bingo.  Plus it could be a poorly matched setup. A low ball hitter hitting a low flight ball or the reverse - a high ball hitter playing a high flight ball. Those combinations won't get optimum distance.

Your argument does not hold water. I am a low-ball hitter (8* launch angle with a 11.5* driver). The e7 and Hex black are low hitting balls. The Pinnacle ball flight was dramatically higher. With your logic, I should have hit the Pinnacle further.

Then you must be special.

#15 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

    Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
  • Location:Maine
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2921

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

Guys, take it easy, huh? OP was trying to do everyone a favor, after all.

Mizuno Mp 650 9.5/Whiteboard 73x
Mizuno Mp 650 15, 18/Aldila Vs Proto 80x
Mizuno Mp 68 3-pw/DG x100
Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
PING Anser Milled #2
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#16 rafal

rafal

    PM2TM

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95401
  • Joined: 09/28/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 909

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

OP tried to give us useful data using his 105 SS, which is not allowed on WRX boards.
TM SLDR S 12*
TM SF 1.0 5W/7W
Ping G25 4-LW
TM DLL 35"

#17 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

    Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
  • Location:Maine
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2921

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

 rafal, on 15 October 2012 - 06:21 PM, said:

OP tried to give us useful data using his 105 SS, which is not allowed on WRX boards.

Raf...being funny or serious??
Mizuno Mp 650 9.5/Whiteboard 73x
Mizuno Mp 650 15, 18/Aldila Vs Proto 80x
Mizuno Mp 68 3-pw/DG x100
Titleist Vokey SM4 52, 58/DG s400
PING Anser Milled #2
Titleist ProV1x
WITB Link

#18 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,437 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
  • Joined: 04/30/2006
  • Location:Atlantic Beach, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 699

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

Hardly scientific without some way to truly see ball speeds and judge contact.  From all I've seen the hex black tour is one of the shortest tour level balls for guys in the 165-180mph ball speed.   Decent angle is steeper given virtually all other numbers the same.  The real key here is ball fitting is something anyone serious should consider and best to do it on Trackman outdoors to get some real numbers

#19 cantill2

cantill2

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83767
  • Joined: 05/24/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

So what ball did you use to win the Long drive contest (you never did say)?  I'm guessing you used the Hex Black Tour?    While this is a very interesting post i agree with others that the approach was not scientific enough to make statements that "this ball is longer than this ball." The Pinnacle gold may not be a great ball for you but i know several people who use them for Long Drive contests and they usually win using that ball.   the other ball that comes to mind is the HX Hot - that is one of the longest golf balls if you are just looking for raw distance off the tee.

#20 golfnhack

golfnhack

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119615
  • Joined: 12/31/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 187

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:51 AM

I used the Hex Black. The problem on WRX these days is that unless you prefix every statement with "FOR ME", the trolls will eat you alive, as they did in this thread. It is a great pity, and something I despise. As someone here mentioned. Unless you have a 120+ MPH swing speed, play tour equipment, and use $500 shafts, you are screwed here. Never used to be that way.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#21 Rosco1216

Rosco1216

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117052
  • Joined: 11/04/2010
  • Location:Arkansas
  • Ebay ID:Rosco1216
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

View Postgolfnhack, on 16 October 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

I used the Hex Black. The problem on WRX these days is that unless you prefix every statement with "FOR ME", the trolls will eat you alive, as they did in this thread. It is a great pity, and something I despise. As someone here mentioned. Unless you have a 120+ MPH swing speed, play tour equipment, and use $500 shafts, you are screwed here. Never used to be that way.

I certainly wasn't meaning to "eat you alive, Golfnhack.  My apologies for any offense taken.
SLDRs 10*-Elements Chr 8F5T tip1.5"
RBZ Stage 2 14.5*- searching
Rocketbladez Tour 3i 20* - PX Rifle 6.5
Bridgestone J40DPC 4-P, PX Rifle 6.5
Vokey SM4 black 50, 55, 62
Odyssey Versa 1W 38"

#22 parpar41

parpar41

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21432
  • Joined: 11/06/2006
  • Location:Montreal, QC
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

View PostMadGolfer76, on 15 October 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

Guys, take it easy, huh? OP was trying to do everyone a favor, after all.

+1

I found it a very interesting post.

OP never claimed it was a Ph.d thesis.

Enjoy it for what it is.

#23 ROBOPTI

ROBOPTI

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15525
  • Joined: 06/16/2006
  • Location:THE BIG EASY - NAWLINS
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

golfnhack .... What's up buddy :friends:

I went back and revisited your thread and saw that you (DESERVEDLY SO) got a little on the defensive. But something your posted made me think and - as a result - verified a piece of info that as it turns out I AM DEAD WRONG ABOUT !!!

So ... I / ME / MYSELF wanted to make it a point to apologize. Now I hope you dont think I was jumping on you - cuz I really do mean WELL DONE on your thread. But in fairness to me I saw "long drive ball" in your topic and assumed you were talking about ripping the cover off the ball - and when I saw your SS - I jumped to what I have now confirmed is the WRONG conclusion.

Your post where you posted your compression chart made me think - cuz the Gold compression on that chart is much lower than I "assumed" (and we all know what happens when you assume - and I did in the case) - that the Gold was the same ole same ole ball I used to hit when I did Remax stuff. And I sat here in my office and it hit me ... That wasn't a "GOLD" we were hitting in the day. So I called PInnacle. And lo and behold - your chart is correct - and thus maybe your initial post is correct for your swing speed - again - all things being relative.

The reason I posted your SS didn't have enuf gas - is back in the day - I KNOW !!!!! the PInnacle we used were just plain old ROCKS. In the extreme example - for the super big guns - Zuback / Fister / Sadlowski etc - If they hit a ball with 150+ mph SS into a ball less than 105-110ish compression - they literally flattened the ball well beyond 50% (I have seen a video of that as well) and the ball wobbles badly for a X amount of microseconds off the tee and they have NO IDEA where it going sometimes - and lose all kids of distance. The Slazenger used at Remax is harder than the Raw Distance sold in stores as well.

I hate to say - I just didn't pay attention - and assumed those were the Remax ball - and Pinnacle CONFIRMED they are NOT - and your info is dead on. They are in the high 80s compression. I myself LOVE using the Yellow Pinnacle - but I do hit them a mile - and they feel great (for me). I would venture to say your swing just doesn't how that ball responds - but your results are very very good info

So - BIG aplogoies if your took my post wrong ... and ... I have the stones to admit my assumed tech info is wrong. Truth be told - I am now VERY glad this thread has popped up - cuz I learned a few things bcuz of it.

I also LOVE E7

Good thread golfnhack !!!!

Edited by ROBOPTI, 16 October 2012 - 10:54 AM.


#24 vjswing

vjswing

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31462
  • Joined: 06/12/2007
  • Location:Davenport, IA, USA
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

I can only add my own 2 cents, and this contribution may not even be worth that much!

My swing speed is considerably slower than the OP's (probably topping out around 90 on my very best swings), and the Pinnacle Gold seems to be one of the best performers in terms of distance out there for me.  It's amazing how many absolutely perfect Pro V1 balls (and to a lesser degree, other tour balls) I find out there, so it's easy to hit a few different ones off each tee to get a general sense of what works best for me.  Given my own glacial SS and complete lack of talent, I couldn't imagine that I would see any real benefit from using a real "tour ball", as the PG fills the bill quite nicely.  The Gamer works pretty well for me too, if I'm in a particularly spendy mood!  ;)

Edit to add that I just read ROBOPTI's post just above mine, which clearly confirms why this ball performs so nicely for a hack like me!  It's stuff like this that makes Golfwrx such a cool place to visit!

Edited by vjswing, 16 October 2012 - 10:51 AM.


#25 golfnhack

golfnhack

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119615
  • Joined: 12/31/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 187

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

View PostROBOPTI, on 16 October 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

golfnhack .... What's up buddy :friends:

I went back and revisited your thread and saw that you (DESERVEDLY SO) got a little on the defensive. But something your posted made me think and - as a result - verified a piece of info that as it turns out I AM DEAD WRONG ABOUT !!!

So ... I / ME / MYSELF wanted to make it a point to apologize. Now I hope you dont think I was jumping on you - cuz I really do mean WELL DONE on your thread. But in fairness to me I saw "long drive ball" in your topic and assumed you were talking about ripping the cover off the ball - and when I saw your SS - I jumped to what I have now confirmed is the WRONG conclusion.

Your post where you posted your compression chart made me think - cuz the Gold compression on that chart is much lower than I "assumed" (and we all know what happens when you assume - and I did in the case) - that the Gold was the same ole same ole ball I used to hit when I did Remax stuff. And I sat here in my office and it hit me ... That wasn't a "GOLD" we were hitting in the day. So I called PInnacle. And lo and behold - your chart is correct - and thus maybe your initial post is correct for your swing speed - again - all things being relative.

The reason I posted your SS didn't have enuf gas - is back in the day - I KNOW !!!!! the PInnacle we used were just plain old ROCKS. In the extreme example - for the super big guns - Zuback / Fister / Sadlowski etc - If they hit a ball with 150+ mph SS into a ball less than 105-110ish compression - they literally flattened the ball well beyond 50% (I have seen a video of that as well) and the ball wobbles badly for a X amount of microseconds off the tee and they have NO IDEA where it going sometimes - and lose all kids of distance. The Slazenger used at Remax is harder than the Raw Distance sold in stores as well.

I hate to say - I just didn't pay attention - and assumed those were the Remax ball - and Pinnacle CONFIRMED they are NOT - and your info is dead on. They are in the high 80s compression. I myself LOVE using the Yellow Pinnacle - but I do hit them a mile - and they feel great (for me). I would venture to say your swing just doesn't how that ball responds - but your results are very very good info

So - BIG aplogoies if your took my post wrong ... and ... I have the stones to admit my assumed tech info is wrong. Truth be told - I am now VERY glad this thread has popped up - cuz I learned a few things bcuz of it.

I also LOVE E7

Good thread golfnhack !!!!

Thanks for the response Rob. Apology accepted. That was the anti-troll post. You don't see many of those.


#26 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

    Glengoyne 21yr

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,999 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Joined: 05/09/2006
  • Location:Midwest and Southwest
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 986

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

View Postgolfnhack, on 16 October 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

I used the Hex Black. The problem on WRX these days is that unless you prefix every statement with "FOR ME", the trolls will eat you alive, as they did in this thread. It is a great pity, and something I despise. As someone here mentioned. Unless you have a 120+ MPH swing speed, play tour equipment, and use $500 shafts, you are screwed here. Never used to be that way.

To an extent, I agree.  Some people on this board over analyze, often after reading a book or something on the internet.  Seldom do they actually offer relateable experiences, which others with like skills can draw from.  You Sir actually contributed your experiences... :clapping:

Edited by Pepperturbo, 16 October 2012 - 11:14 AM.

SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#27 NRJyzr

NRJyzr

    The answer to life, the universe, and everything, is 42

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72626
  • Joined: 01/12/2009
  • Location:Minnesota, USA
  • Ebay ID:n.r.jyzr
GolfWRX Likes : 287

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

If the wind had been more than 5 mph, my first thought would have been the superior wind performance of the Hex balls coming to the fore.  

At 5 mph, likely not so much.  <shrug>
Nike Covert Tour 2.0, 10.5 open, NV75 X
3w TM Stage 2 Tour 14.5 RUL80 X
3h TM Stage 2 Tour 18.5 Altus X
3-PW Golden Ram TW276, Precision 6.5
Scratch 53/58, Dynamic Gold
Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1

#28 swingo

swingo

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184742
  • Joined: 06/06/2012
  • Location:Montgomery, AL
  • Ebay ID:swingo
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Wish you would have tried out taylormade in your test, they seem long off the tee to me.  The pentac5.

#29 ode1

ode1

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98193
  • Joined: 11/08/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

Thx. for the info., however I'd like to see a larger sampling then 8 drives to really get a better sense of what the results are.

The Pinnacle gets a bad rap for being a rock, when in fact it's not at all.  I've switched to it this year as I play soft muni. greens.  The Pinnacle Gold has been the longest ball on avg. for me after playing some 50+ rds.  I've hit dozens and dozens of other balls and at times I'll hit a few of them longer than the Gold, but not on avg.  My ss is 95 give or take, good average drive for me is 240 on a comfortable swing, center face contact.

Your test has me intrigued and now I want to do a comparison but w/ the Hex Chrome, Pinnacle Gold, and e7. Which e7 by the way?

Again thx. for the info. and is there a link to the compression info. on the Gold? as I saw that mentioned earlier in the post.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors