Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

New Wilson balls at Walmart? Velocity and 9000 replacing the TF's

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 borker

borker

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115758
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:17 AM

My local Walmart has become a full Wilson golf ball stocker. I was shocked to see Zips, Elite white/Yellow, Dou and even the FG Tour X on the shelf along with their normal cheapie Titanium's, Ultra's and Eco.

But among them there are two NEW series. Box wise they look like clones of the Top-Flite D2 series and the XL7000. If I had to guess I think Wal-Mart quickly teamed up with Wilson to get something in place for the discontinued Top-Flite's. The D2's and XL's must have been a big seller.

Even the sub names are exactly what the Top-Flite's used!

They are called the Wilson Tour Velocity (The D2 lookalikes) and SL9000 (XL7000 lookalikes).

Look like this: http://a248.e.akamai...RVELOCITY-2.jpg

And: http://assets.academ....jpg?is=500,500

Priced similar to the TF's as well.

Anyone who's played TF D2 Feel's a lot want to be a guinea pig for the 'equivalent' Tour Velocity Feel for us?

Edited by borker, 11 October 2012 - 05:18 AM.

Ping i/20 8.5 Project-X Black 6.5
Callaway Steelhead III 3w Uniflex Steel
Bridgestone J36 Combo 3-PW DG X100
Nicklaus Dual Slot wedges 52 & 58
Ping Scottsdale TR Tatum Putter 34"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 anjoga

anjoga

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140011
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

I saw these recently as well and was curious about them.  Hoping to see some real world reviews soon.

#3 Smood_n_EZ

Smood_n_EZ

Smood_n_EZ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89451
  • Ebay ID:dealgrabba
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Picked up a 15 pack of the Velocity feels and have about three rounds with them. Kind of a muted sound off the
driver with a mid launch. Good but not great distance. They settle nicely on full iron shots. About two-three feet of
rollout on partial shots. As their name suggests, nice feel around the greens but don't expect much spin on really
short shots. I have no problem gaiming these for fall play. My regular gamer is the Hex Chrome.

Interesting that a thread has started on these, I was looking for some info/review just last night because I had
a really good day with it yesterday. I also have to say that I'm still dialing in my Speedline Tech driver that hits
a bit high for a 10.5* and I'm still adjusting to the light weight so I would have probably got better results with
my old driver that had been in the bag for 3 years.

Bottom line, I thinks it's worth the price to give it a try and I'll be going back for another box when these are gone.
Leaves are causing an increase in ball loss, even in the middle of the fairway.

#4 ScooterMcTavish

ScooterMcTavish

Staying away from thrift stores....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61226
GolfWRX Likes : 481

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

Very interesting, especially as:

- The color coding on the Velocity look like the colors used on the D2s
- The SL9000 packaging looks suspiciously like the new Gamer V2 packaging

This makes sense with Dick's acquiring the TF trademarks, and likely using them in house or killing them off.

Considering how many golf balls are now made in China, and that in many cases, the factories are providing an OEM type service, it wouldn't surprise me if Wilson stepped in and grabbed the exact same factories and suppliers to make near identical balls, just under different branding.

Also interesting to note that Wilson is doing this under the "Wilson" name and not "Wilson Staff".  Good, as golfers know Wilson Staff means good quality, properly designed golf equipment.  Bad, as the Wilson name has become synonymous with cruddy items like "Prostaff", "Ultra", and even worse, price-point driven balls such as the garbage "Maximum", and the enviro-garbage "Eco-Core".

I am a big Wilson fan from back in the day, have used a number of their newer clubs (which are nice), and do enjoy their range of "Staff" golf balls.  However, I generally avoid "Wilson" branded products due to a lack of consistency (though I have a strong 5W that keeps making its way back into the bag).  Funny enough, Wal-Mart's product page says:

Wilson Sporting Goods Tour Velocity Distance Golf Balls, 12pk:
  • 2-piece construction
  • Hard cover
  • Optimized dimple pattern
  • Maximum distance and roll
  • Superior playability
Hard cover!  Hahaha!  It's not 1986 anymore.
TaylorMade r7 460
Maxfli Carbon Graphite 3 + 5W
Maxfli TM-92 Aussie Blades, 3-W
Wilson Sandy Andy - Alum shaft
Wilson RPMax LW
Maxfli Tad Moore TM-8
WITB Link

#5 sixiron150

sixiron150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34914
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

I also noticed these at my local Wal-Mart.  Couldn't find much on the web though.  It would be difficult for me to grab these when the Wilson Staff Zips are on the shelf right above them at 2 dozen for $20.

#6 LOVE4LPGA

LOVE4LPGA

TOUR GRADE POSTER

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84151
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

My local Big Five Sporting Goods store manager said they are clearing out and dropping all of the T F ball lines. No surprise to read the same about WalMart.

Seems like over production killed that brand more than bad rep. Anyone trying a modern T F other than an XL walked away impressed at their performance-for-price.

#7 LOVE4LPGA

LOVE4LPGA

TOUR GRADE POSTER

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

borker, on 11 October 2012 - 05:17 AM, said:

Softer feel and higher launch ... more inexpensive balls should aspire to those attributes!

#8 rogera13

rogera13

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204391
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

I gave the Tour Velocity balls a try. Not impressed. Kinda rock like! Not as good as the D2 Feel in my opinion.

#9 LOVE4LPGA

LOVE4LPGA

TOUR GRADE POSTER

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

What an array of balls they carry.

http://www.wilson.co...filters=1118232

#10 LOVE4LPGA

LOVE4LPGA

TOUR GRADE POSTER

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Googling, these appear to be WalMart house and budget eTail brands, not part of Wilson's main catalog.

====

borker, on 11 October 2012 - 05:17 AM, said:

My local Walmart has become a full Wilson golf ball stocker. I was shocked to see Zips, Elite white/Yellow, Dou and even the FG Tour X on the shelf along with their normal cheapie Titanium's, Ultra's and Eco.

But among them there are two NEW series. Box wise they look like clones of the Top-Flite D2 series and the XL7000. If I had to guess I think Wal-Mart quickly teamed up with Wilson to get something in place for the discontinued Top-Flite's. The D2's and XL's must have been a big seller.

Even the sub names are exactly what the Top-Flite's used!

They are called the Wilson Tour Velocity (The D2 lookalikes) and SL9000 (XL7000 lookalikes).

Look like this: http://a248.e.akamai...RVELOCITY-2.jpg

And: http://assets.academ....jpg?is=500,500

Priced similar to the TF's as well.

Anyone who's played TF D2 Feel's a lot want to be a guinea pig for the 'equivalent' Tour Velocity Feel for us?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 botibill

botibill

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 210743
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

The reason they have alot of Wilson balls is because Dicks sporting goods bought the right to Top Flite from Callaway and Dicks is the only one selling the Top Flites in my area

#12 See The Line

See The Line

Mixed Bag of Tricks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47066
  • Handicap:3.8
  • Ebay ID:whentherestroubleucalldw
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

I realize this is very old but I saw these balls in Canadian Tire and just wondering if anyone has recent experience with them and can provide a review. I'm most interested in the Wilson Tour Velocity Feel.
Titleist 913 D3 10.5*
Adams Super XTD 19*
Mizuno H4 21*
Taylormade TP MB 4-PW
Bettinardi Kuchar 1 - 35"
Titleist Vokey 54, 58, 62*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors