Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Check Out these clubs Hoarders Dream

ebay

97 replies to this topic

#1 teevons

teevons

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68116
  • Ebay ID:persimmblade
GolfWRX Likes : 143

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

15000 clubs maybe, for $2000!!! Glad I don't live close to there, There has to be some Gems in there http://www.ebay.com/...=item2323729919

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 702

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

Nice find. I couldn't see anything that immediately jumped out at me, but I'm sure there would be the odd gem amongst that lot. Even with a modest bit of cleaning and such, a pretty good return on the $2000 (or less) investment would be likely. Definitely worth a punt - for someone local with a big truck.

#3 Maxwell

Maxwell

Max

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99037
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

Wow - lots of scrap iron, plenty of firewood and "maybe" a couple of "Professional Line" HB's. One could recycle the rubber grips?
I have about 60 older woods downstairs I have to "toss out" soon - sigh. They're gone!
Max

Edited by Maxwell, 09 October 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#4 ptjn1201

ptjn1201

Tour Winner

• 806 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141293
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

For a local guy, even just bringing a lot of the steel to the scrap yard, it's almost worth it.  All those bags can probably be given away for a nice tax deduction.  It's good that I'm too far away, imagine telling my wife, "Hey honey, we're renting a truck Saturday to pick up some EBay stuff I bought -- about 15,000 used golf clubs and a 100 golf bags.  They're in this guy's basement."

#5 TripleGrindSole

TripleGrindSole

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151201
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

^So did you pull the trigger or did you just go check out the collection?

I was going to suggest that the "collection" had been picked over already and this stuff was just the remainder....Any notable finds?

#6 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82451
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostIronmaster Oddities, on 09 October 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

GUILTY AS CHARGED.  Tim, this is all your  fault!  If you hadn't posted this link to eBay, I wouldn't have seen the auction. And i wouldn't have had a case of temporary insanity . If I Didn't live relatively close to the seller I wouldn't have been able to drive there and look at some of the stuff. If the lady selling the clubs for her dad (who has Ahlzeimer's) hadn't been so nice...If I weren't such a CLUB HO, I probably would have lived happily ever after without knowing about this hoard..

But NOOOOO, Teevons! You had to put temptation right in front of  my nose.
Well, the devil hates a  coward.  the devil made me  do it! I am pleading the temporary insanity  mentioned above.   My wife would argue that the insanity is definitely not temporary.
If,if,if...
But, if my aunt had testicles, she'd have been my uncle.  If bullfrogs had wings, the wouldn't bump their butts when they hopped.

I will try to post some pics and keep everyone up to speed on my trials and dtr ibulations

So you bought this lot then? Only on wrx!

#7 teevons

teevons

Major Winner

• 1,203 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

View PostIronmaster Oddities, on 09 October 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

GUILTY AS CHARGED.  Tim, this is all your  fault!  If you hadn't posted this link to eBay, I wouldn't have seen the auction. And i wouldn't have had a case of temporary insanity . If I Didn't live relatively close to the seller I wouldn't have been able to drive there and look at some of the stuff. If the lady selling the clubs for her dad (who has Ahlzeimer's) hadn't been so nice...If I weren't such a CLUB HO, I probably would have lived happily ever after without knowing about this hoard..

But NOOOOO, Teevons! You had to put temptation right in front of  my nose.
Well, the devil hates a  coward.  the devil made me  do it! I am pleading the temporary insanity  mentioned above.   My wife would argue that the insanity is definitely not temporary.
If,if,if...
But, if my aunt had testicles, she'd have been my uncle.  If bullfrogs had wings, the wouldn't bump their butts when they hopped.

I will try to post some pics and keep everyone up to speed on my trials and dtr ibulations

So much for the quote, You can lead A Horse to Water....
Can't wait to see the pictures, at least until you take the bulk of them to the scrap yard you can say you have the largest  vintage club collection on Golfwrx!!

#8 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

Ironmaster-

Thought it might be you-

Who'd be able to resist something so close to your back yard?  

Am sure you will keep the Wrxers informed..... :>D

#9 Ironmaster Oddities

Ironmaster Oddities

Major Winner

• 1,026 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116695
  • Ebay ID:elkhartmarbles
GolfWRX Likes : 185

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

I pulled the trigger on the whole enchilada!  I have been to 3 state fairs, 4 rodeos and a rattlesnake round-up  and I ain't never seen nu5thin' like this.
Teevons, you may be  right about the hoard having been cherry-picked. At first glance there are no oil hardened Armours or Penna drivers.( But there seem to be a fair quantity of the fairway woods). No Ping, Armour, Geo Low Wizard  putters...Damn. The only 2 decent Wilson goodies I have found are  8813 and 8802. Not bad. A friend and I went there last night to take some stuff out of the basement.  Kind of a good faith jesture to this lady, so she can feel that the stuff will really all be moved. She wants the basement emptied first, so she can start to clean up the house for her dad, the club ho/hoarder.  So we took about 20 bags out,l most of which had 2  or more sets of woods and irons in them, plus 4-5 bags full of putters, plus a few clubs I saw. You could not see that we had even been there!  It was kind of like throwing a deck chair off the Titanic to keep it from sinking
But all is not lost..Of the stuff we brought home last night, in addition to the 2 putters mentioned,I have found the following; 1,2,3,4 M-55 Super eye--0-matic wood set in great condition; 1,2,3,4  M-85 wood set in super original condition (Driver looks like it was hardly hit.)  Armour stainless iron set, recorded but no rec.#. green pyratone shafts in super shape; 2 setsw of black button Staff Dyna power irons; 2 sets of black button Haig Ultra from the same late 1950's like the staffs; 1 set of Hogan Apex II cameos; 7 Power Bilt Drivers and a 1,3,4,5 set; 2 sets of Kenneth smith  customs, and a handful  of wedges.  Not a bad start.

By the time I get this project completed (if I get it to completion) I will be 102 years old. Logistically, it is going to be a nightmare.  Fortunately, I have arranged to put them in a building.But getting them them there as well as storage, will probably cost as much as I paid.
It may be a few weeks; but i will try to upload some pics in my spare time.
Uncle Bob

Edited by Ironmaster Oddities, 10 October 2012 - 12:58 PM.

#10 teevons

teevons

Major Winner

• 1,203 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

View PostIronmaster Oddities, on 10 October 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

I pulled the trigger on the whole enchilada!  I have been to 3 state fairs, 4 rodeos and a rattlesnake round-up  and I ain't never seen nu5thin' like this.
Teevons, you may be  right about the hoard having been cherry-picked. At first glance there are no oil hardened Armours or Penna drivers.( But there seem to be a fair quantity of the fairway woods). No Ping, Armour, Geo Low Wizard  putters...Damn. The only 2 decent Wilson goodies I have found are  8813 and 8802. Not bad. A friend and I went there last night to take some stuff out of the basement.  Kind of a good faith jesture to this lady, so she can feel that the stuff will really all be moved. She wants the basement emptied first, so she can start to clean up the house for her dad, the club ho/hoarder.  So we took about 20 bags out,l most of which had 2  or more sets of woods and irons in them, plus 4-5 bags full of putters, plus a few clubs I saw. You could not see that we had even been there!  It was kind of like throwing a deck chair off the Titanic to keep it from sinking
But all is not lost..Of the stuff we brought home last night, in addition to the 2 putters mentioned,I have found the following; 1,2,3,4 M-55 Super eye--0-matic wood set in great condition; 1,2,3,4  M-85 wood set in super original condition (Driver looks like it was hardly hit.)  Armour stainless iron set, recorded but no rec.#. green pyratone shafts in super shape; 2 setsw of black button Staff Dyna power irons; 2 sets of black button Haig Ultra from the same late 1950's like the staffs; 1 set of Hogan Apex II cameos; 7 Power Bilt Drivers and a 1,3,4,5 set; 2 sets of Kenneth smith  customs, and a handful  of wedges.  Not a bad start.

By the time I get this project completed (if I get it to completion) I will be 102 years old. Logistically, it is going to be a nightmare.  Fortunately, I have arranged to put them in a building.But getting them them there as well as storage, will probably cost as much as I paid.
Uncle Bob

The items you just pulled out will probably repay the 2K, what fun!!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 okesa

okesa

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127405
GolfWRX Likes : 169

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

That man deserves a medal!

#12 MoaningM

MoaningM

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46532
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

as monty python said you lucky lucky ba......d

we're all extremely envious, please do keep the photos coming, great anticipation as to what is in that stash.

#13 Nspiel58

Nspiel58

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52767
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Great stuff!  I'm sure the lady is happy just to be able to have more space in her house.  You did a fine thing, and I'm envious....

#14 Ironmaster Oddities

Ironmaster Oddities

Major Winner

• 1,026 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

View Postrex235, on 10 October 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

Ironmaster-

Thought it might be you-

One item so far that might interest you Rex...In my first load I found a left handed super-eye o - matic 3-wood with a butter fly sole plate

#15 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostIronmaster Oddities, on 10 October 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

Ironmaster-

Thought it might be you-

One item so far that might interest you Rex...In my first load I found a left handed super-eye o - matic 3-wood with a butter fly sole plate

Sounds great for starters...

LH MacGregor Super Eye O Matic....with a butterfly soleplate?  Would have to see it...

Let me know what other LH ones you come across...

#16 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132346
  • Handicap:14.0

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:28 AM

It would be a fun vacation just to come over and help you catalogue this haul!

Very envious ... Well done !
'Tis the hickory season ...
Geo Duncan Driver, Brassie
W.Jeffery Bulldog; Tom Stewart irons:
Cleek, Dr. Mashie, Mashie Iron, Jigger
Mashie, Lofter, Spade Mashie, M.Niblick
Niblick, Nicoll Howitzer, Eskitt putter

#17 Ironmaster Oddities

Ironmaster Oddities

Major Winner

• 1,026 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

View Postteevons, on 10 October 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

View PostIronmaster Oddities, on 10 October 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

Uncle Bob

The items you just pulled out will probably repay the 2K, what fun!!

Not quite yet.   But a pretty good start.  Even if the hoard has been cherry picked, there are hundreds and hundreds of clubs that a person could never have gotten to, or even seen.So who knows.  Also, there are a couple of local organizations kind of like First Tee that I can help out. Andd I will be on a first name  basis with the scrap metal guys before long. As an example, of the 3 bags full of putters I draggede home, 75-80% are junk.

#18 Ironmaster Oddities

Ironmaster Oddities

Major Winner

• 1,026 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

View Postrex235, on 10 October 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

Ironmaster-

Thought it might be you-

LH MacGregor Super Eye O Matic....with a butterfly soleplate?  Would have to see it...

It's the real deal.  old and  funky, 5-screw plate, 1957 Super Eye decal on crown, original Mac shaft. Stampings on toe are hard to read. Looks like M80W, which would make sense; but that may not be right.
B

#19 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

View PostIronmaster Oddities, on 11 October 2012 - 11:42 AM, said:

View Postrex235, on 10 October 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

Ironmaster-

Thought it might be you-

It's the real deal.  old and  funky, 5-screw plate, 1957 Super Eye decal on crown, original Mac shaft. Stampings on toe are hard to read. Looks like M80W, which would make sense; but that may not be right.
B
A 5 screw soleplate? 3 in front, 2 in back?  

Would love to see it as well....

#20 TripleGrindSole

TripleGrindSole

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151201
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:10 AM

Amazing! I checked this thread in anticipation every few hours before you responded that you did in fact buy the lot.

I would love to hunt through that giant mountain of clubs. I sure you will find a ton of hidden gems in there. The 8813 and the 8802 are a solid start.

Please be sure to keep this thread updated (w/ pics if possible!)

Also, I've been in the market for some classic forged blades (Heads only or shafted) and I would love to help you make a few bucks back on your "investment". Feel free to shoot me a list after you pick out your personal faves.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

Ironmaster-

Thanks for the updated information and photos on your find-

A LH MacGregor SEOM with butterfly soleplate-and 5 screws.
Though not in the best shape- It's rare. The stamping alone is different

It's not an M80 SEOM stamping with sweepback soleplate like this one-

100_0164.JPG

It does have the crown insert, with 6 screws...

100_0170.JPG

Let me know if you find the rest of the set.

Edited by rex235, 14 October 2012 - 10:41 PM.

#22 astamm8

astamm8

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47696
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

Ironmaster,

I'm looking for end caps from MacGregor (or other) leather grips from the 50s and 60s. You can basically unscrew them from the butt of the club, and voila, off you go. If any of the scrap clubs have them, I'd love to buy some off you before the clubs meet their demise.

#23 nacho

nacho

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185164
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

Lh putters ?

#24 Ironmaster Oddities

Ironmaster Oddities

Major Winner

• 1,026 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

I am going back Friday for a larger load it wil be the first time back for 10 days ,due to seller medical issues..
. With the vehicles I have, I hope to bring back a couple hundred sets. I am guessing it will take another 3--5 trips.i will have a lot more in delivery than I paid for the lot. total cost probably 4times purchaser price+ after I figure In storage. I will try to post some photos next week and regularly thereafter as I pick up and sort the batch. Eating this elephant one bite a a time is going to take a lot of bites and a lot of time. But it is almost November. This should keep me occupied for the winter.
Uncle Bob

#25 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

View Postnacho, on 17 October 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

Lh putters ?
Nacho-

Not to sneak across Ironmasters thread here, but he is a putter collector...

Exactly  what type of LH putters are you looking for?
PINGs, Blades, Mallets, or Face Balanced?
Believe me, there are far less likely to be any Bullseyes, LH Wilson 8802s, or Designed Bys, or LH PING Dale Head Ansers or even PING B-series  putters from amongst Ironmasters 15K clubs from here in MI....

100_9032.JPG

If you have something specific in mind...

#26 Ironmaster Oddities

Ironmaster Oddities

Major Winner

• 1,026 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

View Postrex235, on 22 October 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

View Postnacho, on 17 October 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

Lh putters ?
Nacho-

Not to sneak across Ironmasters thread here, but he is a putter collector...

Exactly  what type of LH putters are you looking for?
PINGs, Blades, Mallets, or Face Balanced?
Believe me, there are far less likely to be any Bullseyes, LH Wilson 8802s, or Designed Bys, or LH PING Dale Head Ansers or even PING B-series  putters from amongst Ironmasters 15K clubs from here in MI....

100_9032.JPG

If you have something specific in mind...

Rex and Nacho,
  There are Lefty putters in the mix.  Only of note one so far is a Wilson 8802 lefty. I hope to start sorting the first batch tonight or tomorrow.  But I don't want to get too involved. because I have to move them across town for "permanent" storage.

I loaded a 35 ft goose neck trailer with clubs last Friday and didn't even get the basement cleaned out. I will post some pics in the next day or so.  That way you can all vicariously experience my pilgrimage as I proceed. This  could easily go from a dream to a nightmare. But the devil hates a coward...

Edited by Ironmaster Oddities, 23 October 2012 - 11:44 AM.

#27 Ironmaster Oddities

Ironmaster Oddities

Major Winner

• 1,026 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

DSCF1020.JPG

This headline in The South Bend Tribune from earlier last week may summarize this Purchase

DSCF0956.JPG
Basic photos of about 25% of the entire stash of golf stuff

DSCF0956.JPG

this is a 35 ft trailer with 9 racks for the clubs.  we put 15-25 bags on each rack

More photos of individual clubs, etc. to follow

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0970.JPG
  • DSCF0948.JPG

Edited by Ironmaster Oddities, 27 April 2013 - 11:04 PM.

#28 JohnnyB Hips

JohnnyB Hips

Advanced

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122357
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

Wow! Truckload of golf clubs (literally)!!

#29 ptjn1201

ptjn1201

Tour Winner

• 806 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141293
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

Looking at it in the truck, I'm awfully glad I never really considered it -- wish I could have, but way beyond my capacity.  You're doing God's work.

#30 Ironmaster Oddities

Ironmaster Oddities

Major Winner

• 1,026 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

Here are some of the clubs I have found so far. I hope I am wrong, but  I still think that  a lot of it was cherry picked in the past. Kind of like in the old West when someone salted a mine with gold to sell it. There was some obvious stuff early on with the 25 bags I got a week ago.  But this load has not produced significant quantities of vintage MacGregors.Several of early MT irons, but little in the way of matching
woods.
But all is not lost. Lots of PowerBilt, Wilson Staff, Haig Ultra, Some Hogan and Spalding stuff.  and in this first batch (which is only about 25% of the total, I have 200+ metal woods, which I can sell to a flea market guy for $3-10.00 apiece.
Anyway, here is my "Starter Kit"

.DSCF0980.JPG

Some decent Persimmon Drivers.DSCF0991.JPG
Great set of M-85 Super-eye-0-matic in original  condition. Driver is excellent
DSCF0995.JPG
T/A Irons with Green Pyratone shafts in Stainless Steel.  No model #?

DSCF1001.JPG   Nice set of  PowerBilts
  Wilson 8802 black.  Also a T/A IMG-5
DSCF0947.JPG
This is what is still in the basement, AFTER we loaded the trailer.DSCF0948.JPG
This is the stuff in the  garage, from which I have taken, maybe, 10 bags

More to come.  what and when I do not know.  But the way the stuff has been stored, there must be some bags and barrels that have not been picked.  Hope springs eternal.

If you have any suggestions, I am open.  I will try  to get an inventory; but it will be a  long time  coming.  I have this sneaking suspicion that there way are more than 15,000 clubs advertised.  Holy Persimmon, Batman.

Uncle Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0994.JPG
  • DSCF1003.JPG

Edited by Ironmaster Oddities, 27 April 2013 - 11:05 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Also tagged with ebay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors