Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

New to Tampa, looking for a decent course

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 italianstallion

italianstallion

Bethpage Black - 8th hole

• Junior Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

I just moved to the Rocky Point area in Tampa. I thought finding a decent golf course would be easy down here, but its been pretty hard. Course conditions at some places down here are just plain awful. Anybody have any suggestions for decently maintained course?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 parrotheadgolfer74

parrotheadgolfer74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181078
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

Just curious as to which courses you have tried out?

#3 Philfil

Philfil

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183262
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

Innisbrook should be somewhat close, if I'm correct on where I think Rocky Point is.. - and a great course as well.

#4 mwmgolfx

mwmgolfx

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 294277
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

I lived at Rocky point for a while.  to be honest, for the best courses in the area, you'll have to drive a ways.  But within 45-60 minutes are a ton of great courses, not counting the usual muni's.

Fox Hollow,  World Woods, Cheval, TPC tampa bay, Innisbrook, are some that are reasonably close (world woods is by far the longest drive but is by far the best also).

Others Plantation palms, Heritage Harbor, Bardmoor, crescent oaks are all playable.  tarpon woods is cheap and somewhat ok at times during the year.

There are a number in the St. Pete, clearwater area that are not great but very playable on any given day.

What exactly are you looking for?

#5 T Shaf

T Shaf

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8606
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

I also lived at Rocky Point many moons ago and would have to echo myronm.  World Woods is by no means close but it is easy to get to considering it's straight up the Suncoast.  Unfortunately there is simply nothing convenient to that area.  Fun place to live though!

#6 Hybrid

Hybrid

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33268
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

I like Bardmoor quite a bit. Dunedin CC is another very good course for the money.  It has an awesome history, designed by Donald Ross.

#7 PingG10guy

PingG10guy

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77622
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:34 AM

I think mangrove bay is in alright shape in st Pete. Most of the cources I play are near Riverview area on the other side of the bay.

Depends on your price point and what you appreciate. I'm 2 seconds from the macdill afb courses so I appreciate just about anything in the area, although the south course is under construction and will likely make a comeback in a year.

#8 supat22

supat22

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23768
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

I lived in the Tampa area for 5 years, moved back to the NYC area over a year ago. Here are my suggestions, unfortunately all are a bit of a drive.

Rates will go up once Jan 1st comes around.. I still get the world woods e-mails and cry inside that I'm 1000 miles away.

Bang for Buck: Hernando Oaks, Plantation Palms, Bloomingdale GC, World Woods (either), Claw(depends on condition)
Doesn't Matter the Price: World Woods, Lake Jovita, Fox Hollow, Southern Hills , Innisbrook (I hear)

Things change very fast down there as far as golf club ownership/conditions.. that is my caveat. I suggest just calling the pro shop asking about the current conditions. As long as I've lived there and called the pro shops if I had a doubt over the condition, I never had a bad situation where someone straight up lied to me. If anything they told me the course wasn't in the best shape or aerating/overseeding.

Go to T&D(waters), Edwin Watts or any of the pro shops and get "The Golfer's Guide" has all the course listings

Best course closest to Rocky Point IMO:
Westchase, a little pricey compared to the others. Westchase is still about a 20 min drive from Rocky Point. Veterans to Waters/Anderson then left on Linebaugh.

Lastly, Orlando/Sarasota aren't that far away. You'll unlock more courses than you can imagine within 90 miles of Tampa. Good Luck.

golfnow and tee time tampa bay were the sites I used down there, not sure if the paradise cards are still around..

#9 tommyrobson

tommyrobson

Junior Golfer

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184764
  • Handicap:4.9
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

I'm going down to tampa for march break (spring break)
are all those courses you mentioned publics?
If not, what are some nice public courses in the area
Taylormade R1 N 9.5* w/Aldila NVS
TM Rescue TP 2011 15* w/ RIP Phenom
Nickent 3DX 19* w/ UST
Ping S57's w/ S300
Ping Gorge 52, 56, SM4 60
Kenny Giannini G2 Chubby

#10 T Shaf

T Shaf

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

View Posttommyrobson, on 17 November 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

I'm going down to tampa for march break (spring break)
are all those courses you mentioned publics?
If not, what are some nice public courses in the area

World Woods, Lake Jovita, Southern Hills, Fox Hollow, TPC Tampa, Westchase are all public...well Southern Hills is semiprivate but I'd suggest trying it, I thought it was a fantastic course.  Innisbrook is resort, but I think you can still get on if you call the shops direct.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 BrianL99

BrianL99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Handicap:6.7
GolfWRX Likes : 624

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:52 AM

Why does everyone always leave "The Dunes" out of the list of Tampa area courses?  It's a bit closer than World Woods and a fabulous, non-Florida style golf course.

I understand it was closed for quite a few years, so maybe some Tampa folks haven't been up there since it was re-opened?

Edited by BrianL99, 18 November 2012 - 06:52 AM.

#12 scs1070

scs1070

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23195
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

Good ole Post Rocky Point.  Those were fun times.  

#13 parpar41

parpar41

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21432
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

View PostBrianL99, on 18 November 2012 - 06:52 AM, said:

Why does everyone always leave "The Dunes" out of the list of Tampa area courses?  It's a bit closer than World Woods and a fabulous, non-Florida style golf course.

I understand it was closed for quite a few years, so maybe some Tampa folks haven't been up there since it was re-opened?

I just went on the website of the Dunes:  Looks awesome.

According to Google Map, it is more or less right next door to World Woods.

Edited by parpar41, 18 November 2012 - 09:07 AM.

#14 ronnbee

ronnbee

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138003
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

drive to sarasota, stonybrook --semi-private :busted_cop:

#15 T Shaf

T Shaf

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

"Why does everyone always leave "The Dunes" out of the list of Tampa area courses?  It's a bit closer than World Woods and a fabulous, non-Florida style golf course"

Honestly, I've never played it although I have heard great things about it. - will try next time I'm down there.  Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors