Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 4 votes

The OFFICIAL PING Anser Driver Fitting & Review Thread

178 replies to this topic

#31 Gunner22

Gunner22

If you don't like the weather in New England, wait 5 minutes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125938
  • Ebay ID:jimgarcia51694
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

Great fitting review joeclothing. We were def spoiled.

Titleist 913 D2 8.5 Diamana Ahina
TM Tour RBZ 14.5 Diamana Kai Li
PING i20 17* White Pearl KBS
TM Tour Stage 2 22* Matrix Ozik
712 AP1 & SM4s White Pearl KBS
Custom Scotty Cameron Fastback

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 floycota

floycota

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10896
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

View Postmdb0103, on 14 October 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

Great reviews so far. This driver is on my shortlist and I will most likely get properly fitted this winter.

I'm curious though how you guys decided on proper length; was it just what felt comfortable or was it a suggested length?
Kind of the same story as Gunner22 here, I was already playing a club at 45.25" and my shots were on the sweetspot so I didn't see any sense in changing things.  Before my current driver, I had always played 44.5" drivers for a little more control.  This was as accurate as any of the shorter drivers I've ever played.

#33 thaar

thaar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 197314
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

Great reviews.  Now I'm contemplating the Anser again.  I didn't particularly like it all that much when I went to the PGA Store, but that easily could have been due to the shaft/head combo.  I've read too many good things about it.

#34 Doc Mcstuffins

Doc Mcstuffins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35735
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

View Postthaar, on 18 October 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

Great reviews.  Now I'm contemplating the Anser again.  I didn't particularly like it all that much when I went to the PGA Store, but that easily could have been due to the shaft/head combo.  I've read too many good things about it.

Get off the fence! It's sooo good:) Something makes me feel like if a Titleist 913 got together with an R11S and had a baby it would be the Anser. Great feel and sound like a D3 Titleist with the forgiveness and sleekness of a TM. For sure the Anser is unique in it's own right. :victory:

Edited by joeclothing, 18 October 2012 - 12:29 PM.

PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB
Fourteen RM12 51* 55* 59* S400

#35 mosesgolf

mosesgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,598 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6303
GolfWRX Likes : 498

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

The Ping Anser driver (Ahina 70 x) is absolutely the best driver I have ever used.  It's every bit as long as anything out there but the beauty of this club is the forgiveness.  I've hit quite a few mishits that all ended up in play.  It's not easy to curve the ball with the Anser and mishits go further than any driver I've tried.  My driver ho'ing is over.  This one is my gamer now.

Taylormade R9 Supertri TP 9.5 Tour 757 X
Taylormade SLDR 460 TP 14* TS 6.3 X
Taylormade TP Mini Driver 16, SLDR 21
Taylormade Speedblade 5-PW
Taylormade Tour Preferred 50, 54, 58
Taylormade Rossa Maranello 34

#36 phase3golf

phase3golf

ACGolfwrx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153701
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:09 AM

View Postmosesgolf, on 18 October 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

The Ping Anser driver (Ahina 70 x) is absolutely the best driver I have ever used.  It's every bit as long as anything out there but the beauty of this club is the forgiveness.  I've hit quite a few mishits that all ended up in play.  It's not easy to curve the ball with the Anser and mishits go further than any driver I've tried.  My driver ho'ing is over.  This one is my gamer now.

Until the Ping Answer V2 comes out lol (not bagging, great club!!!)
Cobra S9-1 Pro D - Speeder 757
Titleist 910 F-D - PX 8A4
Titleist 910 F - PX 8A4
Cobra S3 Pro's Modus 3's
Cleveland Milled Tour Blade SS Grip
Cleveland 588 51-55-60

#37 Gunner22

Gunner22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

View Postthaar, on 18 October 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

I would def get outside and try a few different combos on a launch monitor.  The club is a beast

#38 Gunner22

Gunner22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

View Postmosesgolf, on 18 October 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

I am in the same boat. The 70g X Ahina feels so solid, but, it is not boardy at all.

#39 flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117864
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

The best thing I can say about the Anser is that ever since I got it about a month ago, I have put up the best scores I have shot all year.  I know there are too many other factors to shooting a good score than just a driver, but something's been going on.  The Anser seems to have improved every other aspect of my game as well.  I think it's a pressure thing.  With the Anser, I am longer off the tee than i've been all year and in the fairway more now.  It takes the pressure off of everything else when you can stand on the tee and know you're going to bomb it most of the time.  Seems to have freed up my swing, which in turn has freed up my swing on every other club as well.  It's a beautiful thing.

#40 heffe78

heffe78

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4786
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

Gunner22 / Floycota - your two review landed you in the two shafts I am flip-flopping on.

My course (In Canada) had a demo at the end of the year that I was able to bag for two rounds, as I said earlier in this thread it was a 10.5* with TFC stiff shaft. I hit it well, really well. Hover around 9 hdcp. 105 SS , shorter that parallel, quicker transition ( ie, you won't confuse me with Freddie or Ernie). Hit a lot of fairways in both rounds, scored very well both times as a result.

Seriously thinking about this club for next season but as all WRX'ers I want more info!

Ball flight was high, probably too high at 10.5 setting, liked it better at 10 but I think the 9.5 is where I'll be. Next is the shaft. Of the 4 "stock" offerings I think it's the TFC or the Ahina. The stiff TFC was pretty good but maybe a shade weak if I got after it or wasn't consciously thinking to smooth one out there. As such I'm thinking Ahina as I it in stiff is stiffer than the TFC in stiff so I am wondering if it's a stiff Ahina in 9.5 or X-stiff in TFC.

Did either of you guys, in your testing hit these two shafts in these flexes? Any findings to share? I have been able to these two shaft, and won't be able to for a while. I am just wondering if the flex / stiffness scale would be TFC stiff, Ahina stiff, TFC X, Ahina X and if you think ther are noticeable differences as you proceed through those.

Thanks guys, über envious / jealous of you!

K

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 Gunner22

Gunner22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:48 AM

I did get a chance to test all of those shafts.  The Ahina was definitely much smoother overall or me than the TFC. The TFC felt very boardy to me.  I thought that the Ahina had a much better feel than the TFC by far.  If I were you, I would get on a monitor and find out which Ahina produces the best / most consistent numbers for you.  Although the TFC is PINGs proprietary shaft, the Ahina is a better shaft overall for sure.

View Postheffe78, on 19 October 2012 - 09:51 PM, said:

Gunner22 / Floycota - your two review landed you in the two shafts I am flip-flopping on.

My course (In Canada) had a demo at the end of the year that I was able to bag for two rounds, as I said earlier in this thread it was a 10.5* with TFC stiff shaft. I hit it well, really well. Hover around 9 hdcp. 105 SS , shorter that parallel, quicker transition ( ie, you won't confuse me with Freddie or Ernie). Hit a lot of fairways in both rounds, scored very well both times as a result.

Seriously thinking about this club for next season but as all WRX'ers I want more info!

Ball flight was high, probably too high at 10.5 setting, liked it better at 10 but I think the 9.5 is where I'll be. Next is the shaft. Of the 4 "stock" offerings I think it's the TFC or the Ahina. The stiff TFC was pretty good but maybe a shade weak if I got after it or wasn't consciously thinking to smooth one out there. As such I'm thinking Ahina as I it in stiff is stiffer than the TFC in stiff so I am wondering if it's a stiff Ahina in 9.5 or X-stiff in TFC.

Did either of you guys, in your testing hit these two shafts in these flexes? Any findings to share? I have been able to these two shaft, and won't be able to for a while. I am just wondering if the flex / stiffness scale would be TFC stiff, Ahina stiff, TFC X, Ahina X and if you think ther are noticeable differences as you proceed through those.

Thanks guys, über envious / jealous of you!

K

Edited by Gunner22, 21 October 2012 - 06:49 AM.

#42 Doc Mcstuffins

Doc Mcstuffins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

I would agree with your assessment Gunner. Ahina= one smooth shaft. Keep in mind though it is very low torque.
PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB

#43 Doc Mcstuffins

Doc Mcstuffins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

Just wanted to post a few screen shots from my initial fitting. The first screen shot is with my gamer G20 8.5 w/ DI6X. The second is with an Anser 9.5 BB6X. Ribbing welcome. :nyam: I'm not a huge hitter, but if you add 10% to the crappy range balls I was hitting it should put me around the 275yd mark. On average I picked up an extra 15 yards or so, which I am thrilled about(I'll take all the help I can get).
I'm also one of those guys that sits right on the cusp of Stiff and X. I could have gone either way. In the end John said "go with your ego" so I did and "X" is was. :download: In all seriousness, the X brought my spin down 300rpms with no directional or distance loss so it really was an easy decision. :rap:
PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB

#44 Doc Mcstuffins

Doc Mcstuffins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

So I rolled into Golfsmith this morning with a $400 giftcard....pretty much begging me to spend it. To my surprise a nice shiny bag full of 913 gear. For two years I played a D3 with tour ad di6 with great results. Started hitting a D2 with S+ shaft, a D3 with D+ shaft and then onto a D3 with Phenom. Hit ball after ball and couldn't crack 270 yds. Decided to grab a 9.5 Anser with Ahina and boom first ball 291. :swoon: Put it down and walked out.

While I was there I hit a 910 D3 against the 913 and got identical numbers. One thing I really did like about the 913's was the shaft selection. The S+ matte/pearl blue paint is awesome in the flesh. As far as performance goes the Anser takes the cake. :superman:
PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB

#45 floycota

floycota

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

My extensive Florida testing is complete,  5-rounds in 2.5 days.  I'm working on a write-up.  I think it may be titled "Ball Go Far".

#46 thaar

thaar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 197314
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

haha, looking forward to your write-up.  Thus far, this has been a great thread and it's getting me excited to get a new driver.  I have a feeling it's going to be a 913 vs Anser battle once my fitter gets the Titleist in.

#47 Doc Mcstuffins

Doc Mcstuffins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

Went out yesterday to do a little testing/comparison with the Anser and my G20 gamer.
Here's the set ups:
G20 8.5 with GD Tour Ad Di6X tipped 1/2" 45"
Anser 8.5 digitally lofted to 9.2 GD Tour Ad BB6X 45"

First thoughts have to do with sound. I know there's another thread discussing how some guys feel as though different heads have different sounds. I usually warm up with my driver hitting about 70% speed to get my swing grooved a bit. At lower speeds the driver has more of a week trampoline "boingy" sound as opposed to a metallic RBZ or Titleist muted thud tone. However, once I started going full speed the sound changed. The tone became more Titleist like and reminded me of a head that had been hot melted. It just sounded so powerful and solid. The harder you hit it, the better it sounds.... Love Love Loved the sound. :air_kiss:
In comparison my G20 sounds the same whether you're hitting it half or full speed. :fie:

For those on the fence, the Anser is the truth. It's a real deal no nonsense driver. Low spin and forgiving like crazy. To the eye it also sets up smaller than your typical 460CC head. It just looks so much more compact than the G20. Against the G I would say the Anser is a little more workable, more accurate (for me), and 15 or so yards longer. Carry is about the same between the two, but I clearly get more rollout with the Anser.

I'm a pretty good player 5 HC and drive the ball well. HOWEVER, during my testing I, as well as everyone on the range couldn't stop watching this one player hit balls. Literally built and swung like Sean O'Hair. I mean this guy was murdering balls carrying them past the furthest green on the range. Easy 300yd carry with 120+ SS. :download: I ended up approaching him and asked him to take a few swipes. His gamer btw, an R11 with Fubuki. First swing with the Anser and his comment was "WOW, I can't believe how flat the ball flight was...easy 10 yards longer than my club". :smilie_ping: He literally wanted to take it home. Every shot was a baby draw, I mean perfect. One note of his was that he thought the sweet spot was a little forward of center. He also hit one out on the toe and it still carried nearly as long as the ones he flushed.

I then handed him the G20 and he was like "is that Tigers shaft"? He was definitely more of a player than equipment guy, and watching him hit balls literally made me question my manhood and wonder why if a guy like this doesn't know what a Tour Spec speeder is, then why the hell do I? :dntknw: But I digress:)

With the G20 his shots tended to float a bit more and weren't quiet as laser like. Between the two he said he definitely preferred the Anser. Liked the feel, sound, and performance. If he sees this, I hope he doesn't mind, but I snapped a few video clips with my iphone. Turns out btw he just won the State Mid-Am. :good:

PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB

#48 Doc Mcstuffins

Doc Mcstuffins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB

#49 Doc Mcstuffins

Doc Mcstuffins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

A few pics I snapped for your viewing pleasure. :taunt:
PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB

#50 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4674

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

Nice! I guess you found your "Anser". :-)

Hey...be nice.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#51 JB lefty

JB lefty

JB

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119043
  • Ebay ID:cashdupjb
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:02 AM

Saw these for the first time today and wow they are a good looking driver. They are light as well. This maybe because I have the fit atm and it does feel a tad heavier than other drivers.
Optiforce 440 Matrix Black 7M3 X flex
X2Hot 5 wood with stock shaft (cannon)
Apex Pro 4-AW KBS Tour V X flex SS1
Callaway Jaws Wedges 56,60
One spot available any ideas?
Odyssey DF550 blade putter/ Pro v 1 ball

#52 floycota

floycota

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

Pros:
I need a low spin driver and this definitely meets that requirement.  This club is long, probably longer than any other combo I’ve hit.  That is saying quite a bit since I love trying the latest and greatest.  The finish seems to be holding up very well, after quite a bit of range time it looks pretty close to how I got it.  The face is not a black finish that is going to be shot after the first bucket of range balls like some drivers.  

Cons:
It’s a really low spin head.  If you don’t need a dramatic reduction in spin this is probably not going to be a combo for you.  I had my friend hit the combo and he was hitting knuckleballs all day.  Some people will want more than a ±0.5*adjustability.  I did play around with the different settings and believe it or not there is a visible difference in the flight with the degree of variability.

Bottom Line:
I want a low spin head that launches high and the Anser fits the bill.  I could care less what the loft and shaft flex is as long as the club performs.   It looks great and is super easy to elevate, but also controllable enough where I could flight the ball down when I needed to (this is something I usually can’t do well with other drivers).  I missed some shots wildly with it but that was the Indian and not the arrow.  Having a fitted club gives you the confidence you can pull off any type of shot.  The Anser probably gave me too much confidence, I was trying to hit drivers on hole that I should never hit driver on; it’s no fun laying up when you have a new toy in the bag.  Try the Anser you won’t be sorry, but make sure you get assistance from a Ping rep or properly trained fitter.  It will make all the difference in your satisfaction with your driver.

REVIEW

Looks:
Let’s start with the looks, this is a mean looking club.  It’s Mike Tyson coming out in his heyday in all black – I’m about to hit something with very bad intentions.  The head is very Rapture-ish in shape; you could very easily pick this club out of a line-up as a Ping.  I really like the shape.  It’s 460cc but doesn’t look clumsy behind the ball.  I know people have been asking Ping to remove the alignment aid off the top of their drivers for years.  Not once while playing this driver did I think “Wow that is annoying;” it’s not distracting at all.  I even used it a time or two to make sure I was lined up perfectly with my intermediate target.      

Performance:
Ball go far!  Yes, I’m a caveman golfer at heart (please see the GolfDigest Article November 2004 if you don’t know what I’m talking about – Fire bad, golf good).  I’m trying to reform as I get older but it’s hard.  I took the Anser on the road to Florida recently to get some intensive testing.  The first time I hit the Anser on a 373-yard hole this is what I had left for my second shot -  

Posted Image
I’ll take 13 more of those and call it a day.  I can’t rave enough about the ballflight.  I want to hit the ball as high as possible and just let it carry.  Usually the problem with this for me is that high launching heads also usually translated to high spin heads, not the Anser.  At the fitting Patrick was able to get me set-up in a 9.5* head that kept the spin down.  I probably could have gone with a lower loft but I like the look of a higher flight.  The Anser kept my spin in the 2400-2700 (great for me – some other drivers I’ve hit are in the 3500 range).  
They said to add pictures and videos.  So here is my video contribution for you to critique and mock (be kind).  Posted Image
As you can hear the wind was blowing pretty well on the last day I was in Florida.  One thing I love about this driver is you can tee it low and hit it low without getting the ballooning that some drivers will give (I wasn’t teeing the ball low in the video).  There was a very long par-5 that was playing directly into the wind, I was able to tee the ball low and hit a low bullet.  I’m usually very worried about this exact scenario with my driver.  I can get a high spinning up-shooter into the wind that I have no control over with my current driver.
By no means do I think I’m a good golfer; I’ve played with enough +handicap guys to know where I fall in the amateur ranks.  This driver helps me cover that up that fact I have misses (and sometimes big misses).  The Anser does let you know when you have not struck the ball perfectly but it still produces playable misses.  I caught a few balls low on the face that flew shorter than well struck shots but were still in the fairway or findable.  Wow, a forgiving, long, low-spin driver – what more could you ask for?    
OK, the highlight on my Florida trip was using the Anser to eagle the same 520-yard par-5 in back to back rounds.  I had never done that before.  I was able to hit a big sweeping draws around the corner leaving me short/mid irons into the green.

Feel:
There is no feeling in golf like catching a driver on the proverbial “screws”.  This driver has that great feeling.  There is no mistaking well struck shots with the Anser.  Sound and feel are related, you can hear what the Anser sounds like in the above video.  It sounds like a nice driver should, not the metallic aluminum bat sound or a dull thud.   We all know the drivers that sound like gunshots going off when struck by the 78-year old guy three holes over and others that Jason Zubak couldn’t get a decent sound out of (well maybe they aren’t that bad).  This club sounds like a driver should.  This translates to the feel.  There is no harshness in the club.  Like I said you know when the ball wasn’t struck perfectly but that doesn’t leave you with the feeling of holding a handful of bees.  Some might think the feedback on balls struck towards the heel or toe is nullified too much.  I had to check the face of the club a couple of times to figure out if I missed the ball towards the heel or toe.  The black face on the Anser makes seeing the ball impact pretty easy.  

Overall:
I have a new gamer.  I brought both my drivers to Florida and my old gamer never made it out of the travel bag.  After the first round, I didn’t see any reason to take it out.  The Anser has performed perfectly for me.  The Anser and the large Florida fairways gave me some gaudy % fairways hit.  I’m carrying the Anser 10+ yards past my old gamer.  I’m also able to work the driver a little bit.  I was able to hit some draws and cuts (I did overdo some but again they were playable).
I’m interested in trying some other exotics shafts with the Anser if I get a chance.  I may revisit the X-flex Ahina that was too low spin on some shots for me.  I also might try some tipping with the stiff Ahina to put me somewhere between a stiff and X.  I don’t anticipate leaving this combo unless something much better comes along.  I would like to check out some heavier and shorter length shafts.  I think the Anser and Nunchuk at 44-44.5” might be a fairway finder like no other.

Edited by floycota, 29 October 2012 - 07:48 AM.

#53 jay65

jay65

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206889
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 343

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

Hi guys,

I'm normally a Titleist Loyalist for my sins, but I am always open minded, and am looking to update my 910. The obvious choice to me was the new 913, but the Anser is a Driver that has now 'come into the mix'. I have read a few reviews on here, and there seems to be a few guys that are having probs 'turning the club over' and therefore having probs hitting a draw. I understand this is often shaft sensitive, and some shafts are very 'anti left' shafts. But in general, I was wondering if any of you guys are having the same problem with the Anser, and finding it a bit difficult to turn over? I have already decided to go with a little more loft, due to the low spinning head, and needing a stiffer tip shaft like the Matrix 6m3 or Tour BB, or Fujikura Motore Tour Spec. ( I will get fitted though). But just wondered if any of you guys are finding the Anser to be a little fade biased in any way. Any help or advice is welcome.

#54 floycota

floycota

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

I haven't had any issues drawing the Anser.  It's my natural shot though.  I know what you are talking about though, I've owned some clubs that are almost impossible to move either way.  I found the Anser to be a very neutral set-up.  If you can work the ball left or right this club isn't going to stop you from doing it IMO.

#55 jay65

jay65

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206889
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 343

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

View Postfloycota, on 29 October 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

I haven't had any issues drawing the Anser.  It's my natural shot though.  I know what you are talking about though, I've owned some clubs that are almost impossible to move either way.  I found the Anser to be a very neutral set-up.  If you can work the ball left or right this club isn't going to stop you from doing it IMO.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Its very helpful.

I'm a funny old animal. My natural shot shape with an iron is a draw. But with a Driver I can struggle to Draw it!! Weirdo eh??!! Lol.

Seriously though. I have to play with a stiff tip shaft because I have a very late release, and it stabilizes the head for me. And most shafts like that, are quite 'anti left shafts', And if the Anser is a little fade biased, I'm a bit scared I won't be able to work the ball like a Draw. I have emailed Ping as I wonder if by going up the lofts also means the weighting in the head makes it easier to Draw a 12 degree more than an 8.5 degree for instance.  I'm awaiting their response actually. But just wanted some real world feedback, for which I thank you for.

Regards

#56 minteq

minteq

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15455
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

I am glad the Anser worked for you.  I tried it for 2 rounds, and sold it, for me the 910 was longer, better feel and sound.  To each his own I guess.
Nike Covert Tour 2.0 Proj X Black 6.0
Nike Covert Tour 2.0 3wd KK Silver TiNi
Titleist 712U 3 TTXP95s
Nike Vapor PC 4-pw DGPro S300
Nike Method 003
Nike 52/56/60 X3X

#57 floycota

floycota

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

View Postminteq, on 29 October 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I am glad the Anser worked for you.  I tried it for 2 rounds, and sold it, for me the 910 was longer, better feel and sound.  To each his own I guess.
Exactly, every club does not fit every swing.  I tried the 910 with a bunch of different shafts previously.  I got better ballspeed, launch, and spin numbers with the Anser.  I did like the feel and sound of the 910, I thought it was about the same as the Anser though.

#58 Doc Mcstuffins

Doc Mcstuffins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

same here. Played the 910 D3 for 2 years. It was better than my Cleveland 290, R11, and i20. The Anser on the other hand is head and shoulders above what my D3 was. It's longer by 15 yards and just as workable.
PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB

#59 Gunner22

Gunner22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

Hi Jay

I have also found it quite easy to work the ball in either direction as well. I do not feel as though you should have trouble.  Be sure to get fitted to ensure that you are getting the right shaft combo though.  I actually prefer a cut shot normally.  However, the Anser is not a difficult club to draw, IMHO, if that's what you're looking to do.

View Postjay65, on 29 October 2012 - 08:23 AM, said:

Hi guys,

I'm normally a Titleist Loyalist for my sins, but I am always open minded, and am looking to update my 910. The obvious choice to me was the new 913, but the Anser is a Driver that has now 'come into the mix'. I have read a few reviews on here, and there seems to be a few guys that are having probs 'turning the club over' and therefore having probs hitting a draw. I understand this is often shaft sensitive, and some shafts are very 'anti left' shafts. But in general, I was wondering if any of you guys are having the same problem with the Anser, and finding it a bit difficult to turn over? I have already decided to go with a little more loft, due to the low spinning head, and needing a stiffer tip shaft like the Matrix 6m3 or Tour BB, or Fujikura Motore Tour Spec. ( I will get fitted though). But just wondered if any of you guys are finding the Anser to be a little fade biased in any way. Any help or advice is welcome.

#60 Gunner22

Gunner22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

i thought my 910 D2 was it for me as well until I started playing the Anser once properly fit.

View Postminteq, on 29 October 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors