Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Sales people say the darndest things...


106 replies to this topic

#1 Yuck

Yuck

    Fore!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26540
  • Joined: 03/10/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

At lunch today I was in a big box golf store and overheard the following conversation:


Customer, who was looking at Cleveland wedges.  "what do the dots mean on the sole of the club, I notice some have one dot, some two dots and some three dots?"

Response:  "The dots refer to the bounce of the wedge"  (So far so good).

Customer:  "What do you mean bounce?".

Response "Shots with the wedges with one dot, bounce once and then stop.  the wedges with 2 dots, bounce twice and then stop, and the wedges with three dots, bounce three times and then check".   (Just like on TV).

I had to walk away on that one, since no real harm was being done.  I never even could have imagined that concept, even if I was trying to be funny.  I am sure this was well intentioned advice, so I will not judge, but it did make me smile.

Edited by Yuck, 04 October 2012 - 07:44 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Sean2

Sean2

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 30,017 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:South of Boston
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17373

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

That was...creative.
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

2

#3 907isTerrible

907isTerrible

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 202963
  • Joined: 09/14/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

At a local Golftown a couple weeks ago,

I just finished demo-ing Mizuno MP64/Mizuno MP69/Taylormade MB/TItleist 712 MB, mentally decided MP64 was the best performing.
Sales came over, said "so what have you decided on?"
I said, "Mizunos felt and performed the best, gave me the best numbers"
Sales said, "You should get the Titleist 712 MB, its the biggest seller, most popular"
Me: No expression, proceeded to clothing section
Sales comes back to me, "You know, we give the best prices. You should really get the Titleist, $1099.99 is a great deal"
Me: No thanks, I've got a much better deal lined up
Sales: No, really. Trust me. Won't get any better than this deal.
Me: Okay thanks, bye.

3

#4 onetime19

onetime19

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122469
  • Joined: 02/17/2011
  • Location:Lantana TX
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Dang that was good! I usually will butt in when I hear something drastically wrong. I also hunt and reload, same thing happens at those "big box" hunting stores. I cringe then will correct if it has anything to do with guns or ammo.

4

#5 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
  • Joined: 05/29/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 461

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

Need me one if those one-bounce wedges. On my way to Dick's...


5

#6 Gbyeball

Gbyeball

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147607
  • Joined: 11/20/2011
  • Location:Pickering, Canada
  • Ebay ID:davebeenthere
GolfWRX Likes : 599

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

My wedges don't have any dots........................does that mean they just land in the hole, no bouce, no check, no roll, just in the hole.
Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour  50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

6

#7 AmpliFIRE

AmpliFIRE

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199498
  • Joined: 08/22/2012
  • Location:Northern NJ
  • Handicap:9.6
  • Ebay ID:honeydog11
GolfWRX Likes : 189

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

No way that one bounce wedge is conforming ;)
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9.0 'Ahina 60 Stiff
Callaway RFX 5w Trinity Stiff
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid Kuro Kage Stiff
Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-G XP115S
Mizuno S-5 Satin 54/8 and 60/10 DG Wedge
Bettinardi BB56

7

#8 somaplr

somaplr

    Vaya con Dios, Brah

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187412
  • Joined: 06/19/2012
  • Location:Ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 1810

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

View Post907isTerrible, on 04 October 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

At a local Golftown a couple weeks ago,

I just finished demo-ing Mizuno MP64/Mizuno MP69/Taylormade MB/TItleist 712 MB, mentally decided MP64 was the best performing.
Sales came over, said "so what have you decided on?"
I said, "Mizunos felt and performed the best, gave me the best numbers"
Sales said, "You should get the Titleist 712 MB, its the biggest seller, most popular"
Me: No expression, proceeded to clothing section
Sales comes back to me, "You know, we give the best prices. You should really get the Titleist, $1099.99 is a great deal"
Me: No thanks, I've got a much better deal lined up
Sales: No, really. Trust me. Won't get any better than this deal.
Me: Okay thanks, bye.

Funny you should say that bc on this site everyone tries to push mizuno unwarranted haha
Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

8

#9 OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1282
  • Joined: 06/01/2005
  • Location:North Shore, MA
GolfWRX Likes : 335

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

Just last week I was at a major one.  My friend and I were talking about a set of clubs I was looking at (JPX 825PRO's).  So this "Pro" comes over he asks me what I am playing so I tell him "TM 300".  he says "I don't know that iron".  I said "Hmm thats odd because it's their best forged CB ever made and it was played on tour for a long time (this guy was 50+ yrs old)".  He starts getting slightly defensive "Don't shoot the messanger I don't know the iron".  So I can see we are not on the same page so I just said "Ok well look at the J40DPC irons and they look like them".

My friend could see my frustration so she mentions she just bought new irons and lucked out since they were -1 inch (she is 5ft).  He says "well that just doesn;t happen to find them that short.  Short woman's clubs are - 1/2 inch".  I said "based on what?  there is NO standard measurement for any clubs!"  He says "yes there is"  I said "Then explain to me why Mizuno's 5i is 37.75 and Titleist is 38,  I can go down this VERY long row of irons and read you off the 5i's off the top of my head.  There is NO std. 5i length".

So he backs off and starts bringing up lessons with him.  I said "thanks buddy have a great day".  So my friend was like "That was awesome that you had the EXACT #'s to shut his asss up because even a beginner like me could see he was full of sh**".
Callaway GBB 9* Diamana Kai'LI 70S
Callaway RFE 9.5* Diamana Kai'LI 70S
Callaway RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
Callaway RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Callaway Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
http://ink361.com/ap...admike72/photos

@BigDudeGuy72

9

#10 Veng

Veng

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170380
  • Joined: 03/20/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

So it IS the arrow and not the Indian.  Off to get a wedge with different dots.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Veng

Veng

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170380
  • Joined: 03/20/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

View Postsomaplr, on 04 October 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

View Post907isTerrible, on 04 October 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

At a local Golftown a couple weeks ago,

I just finished demo-ing Mizuno MP64/Mizuno MP69/Taylormade MB/TItleist 712 MB, mentally decided MP64 was the best performing.
Sales came over, said "so what have you decided on?"
I said, "Mizunos felt and performed the best, gave me the best numbers"
Sales said, "You should get the Titleist 712 MB, its the biggest seller, most popular"
Me: No expression, proceeded to clothing section
Sales comes back to me, "You know, we give the best prices. You should really get the Titleist, $1099.99 is a great deal"
Me: No thanks, I've got a much better deal lined up
Sales: No, really. Trust me. Won't get any better than this deal.
Me: Okay thanks, bye.

Funny you should say that bc on this site everyone tries to push mizuno unwarranted haha
Yeah, this place does have a slight mizuno tilt..... and I think I'm falling for it...

11

#12 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

    EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
  • Joined: 10/02/2011
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 5668

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

View PostVeng, on 04 October 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

So it IS the arrow and not the Indian.  Off to get a wedge with different dots.

Problem is they won't sell those one dot wedges to just anybody. I tried to get one and the guy told me they only sell three dot wedges to people of my "ilk".



12

#13 TPMAN

TPMAN

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122781
  • Joined: 02/22/2011
  • Ebay ID:fwcivy
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

That is awesome and halarious

13

#14 kg92lefty

kg92lefty

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124960
  • Joined: 03/21/2011
  • Location:Las Vegas
  • Handicap:+2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 368

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

View Post907isTerrible, on 04 October 2012 - 07:47 PM, said:

At a local Golftown a couple weeks ago,

I just finished demo-ing Mizuno MP64/Mizuno MP69/Taylormade MB/TItleist 712 MB, mentally decided MP64 was the best performing.
Sales came over, said "so what have you decided on?"
I said, "Mizunos felt and performed the best, gave me the best numbers"
Sales said, "You should get the Titleist 712 MB, its the biggest seller, most popular"
Me: No expression, proceeded to clothing section
Sales comes back to me, "You know, we give the best prices. You should really get the Titleist, $1099.99 is a great deal"
Me: No thanks, I've got a much better deal lined up
Sales: No, really. Trust me. Won't get any better than this deal.
Me: Okay thanks, bye.

I see a lot more taylormade mb and even mizuno than 712mbs.

14

#15 shakey

shakey

    OvenWRX 1

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60434
  • Joined: 07/14/2008
  • Location:GA
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2455

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

View PostYuck, on 04 October 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

At lunch today I was in a big box golf store and overheard the following conversation:


Customer, who was looking at Cleveland wedges.  "what do the dots mean on the sole of the club, I notice some have one dot, some two dots and some three dots?"

Response:  "The dots refer to the bounce of the wedge"  (So far so good).

Customer:  "What do you mean bounce?".

Response "Shots with the wedges with one dot, bounce once and then stop.  the wedges with 2 dots, bounce twice and then stop, and the wedges with three dots, bounce three times and then check".   (Just like on TV).

I had to walk away on that one, since no real harm was being done.  I never even could have imagined that concept, even if I was trying to be funny.  I am sure this was well intentioned advice, so I will not judge, but it did make me smile.
So going to have to try this the next time someone asks me about a new Cleveland wedge they want buy!!!!!!!!!!

TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 Stiff
TM M3 3HL  w/Diamana Ahina 70 Stiff
NIKE VR Pro II Hybrid 3 (21) w/PX Graphite 5.5
NIKE Vapor PC 4-PW w/DGS300

TM Milled Grind Black 52 SB and 58 LB w/Modus Tour 125 Wedge
TM TP Black Copper Mullen 2
TM TP5x

15

#16 Happytab

Happytab

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80427
  • Joined: 04/17/2009
  • Handicap:12.5
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

i went into a big box store here in the UK and asked them to remove half an inch from my driver shaft.
Them - "Why do you want to do that"?
Me - "Because it's too long to control - if the Pro's choose shorter shafts because they can't control longer ones, how am I supposed to"?
Them - "But you need a longer shaft because your tall! (6'2")"
Me - "Can I borrow your wall?"
Them - "Why?"
Me - "Because I have a pressing urge to smash my head against it"

16

#17 j-daniel

j-daniel

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44983
  • Joined: 01/03/2008
  • Location:England
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

View PostHappytab, on 05 October 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

i went into a big box store here in the UK and asked them to remove half an inch from my driver shaft.
Them - "Why do you want to do that"?
Me - "Because it's too long to control - if the Pro's choose shorter shafts because they can't control longer ones, how am I supposed to"?
Them - "But you need a longer shaft because your tall! (6'2")"
Me - "Can I borrow your wall?"
Them - "Why?"
Me - "Because I have a pressing urge to smash my head against it"

Love it ive seen some silly things in shops myserlf here in the UK!

can you bend my wedges a degree flatter and add 1 degree of loft.

why?

because i opull then and need more bounce!

then comes a puzzled look from the guy in the store!

so glad i can do my own club work now. makes stupid conversations a thing of the past.

17

#18 harold baines

harold baines

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49439
  • Joined: 02/20/2008
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 634

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

makes for an even funnier story when the guy tries to return it when the balls bounce the wrong number of times on the green before stopping

18

#19 highergr0und

highergr0und

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,558 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Joined: 03/27/2008
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 1831

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

View PostOrangeCrush, on 04 October 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

"Then explain to me why Mizuno's 5i is 37.75 and Titleist is 38,  I can go down this VERY long row of irons and read you off the 5i's off the top of my head.  There is NO std. 5i length".

So he backs off and starts bringing up lessons with him.  I said "thanks buddy have a great day".  So my friend was like "That was awesome that you had the EXACT #'s to shut his asss up because even a beginner like me could see he was full of sh**".

Excellent passive brag....  definitely showed him lol....  Did your friend do anything else to offer her praise to you after that?

Edited by highergr0und, 05 October 2012 - 10:42 AM.


19

#20 AmpliFIRE

AmpliFIRE

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199498
  • Joined: 08/22/2012
  • Location:Northern NJ
  • Handicap:9.6
  • Ebay ID:honeydog11
GolfWRX Likes : 189

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

You guys this this is funny...you should hear what the sales guys in the big box Music equipment stores say.  I'm an avid guitar player and very knowledgeable about guitars/amps/pedals etc.  These guys are the epitome of clueless.

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9.0 'Ahina 60 Stiff
Callaway RFX 5w Trinity Stiff
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid Kuro Kage Stiff
Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-G XP115S
Mizuno S-5 Satin 54/8 and 60/10 DG Wedge
Bettinardi BB56

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 richard t

richard t

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85373
  • Joined: 06/11/2009
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 581

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

My Pings have one dot. it's red Why does my ball not go in on the first bounce?
Overheard a guy in a box store ask, "what does this velocity mean on the Titleist balls?" Salesman- "that's because they go faster when you hit them." (honest truth!) I waited a minute and told the guy to read the back of the box.

21

#22 insightaz

insightaz

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119390
  • Joined: 12/26/2010
  • Location:Phoenix, AZ
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

View PostOrangeCrush, on 04 October 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

Just last week I was at a major one.  My friend and I were talking about a set of clubs I was looking at (JPX 825PRO's).  So this "Pro" comes over he asks me what I am playing so I tell him "TM 300".  he says "I don't know that iron".  I said "Hmm thats odd because it's their best forged CB ever made and it was played on tour for a long time (this guy was 50+ yrs old)".  He starts getting slightly defensive "Don't shoot the messanger I don't know the iron".  So I can see we are not on the same page so I just said "Ok well look at the J40DPC irons and they look like them".

My friend could see my frustration so she mentions she just bought new irons and lucked out since they were -1 inch (she is 5ft).  He says "well that just doesn;t happen to find them that short.  Short woman's clubs are - 1/2 inch".  I said "based on what?  there is NO standard measurement for any clubs!"  He says "yes there is"  I said "Then explain to me why Mizuno's 5i is 37.75 and Titleist is 38,  I can go down this VERY long row of irons and read you off the 5i's off the top of my head.  There is NO std. 5i length".

So he backs off and starts bringing up lessons with him.  I said "thanks buddy have a great day".  So my friend was like "That was awesome that you had the EXACT #'s to shut his asss up because even a beginner like me could see he was full of sh**".
that's all good except titleist and mizuno are the same length they just measure different one without grip the other with grip. Hold them up to eachother and you will see so you don't make wrong references in the future and have all the facts......

22

#23 OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,275 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1282
  • Joined: 06/01/2005
  • Location:North Shore, MA
GolfWRX Likes : 335

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

View Posthighergr0und, on 05 October 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

View PostOrangeCrush, on 04 October 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

"Then explain to me why Mizuno's 5i is 37.75 and Titleist is 38,  I can go down this VERY long row of irons and read you off the 5i's off the top of my head.  There is NO std. 5i length".

So he backs off and starts bringing up lessons with him.  I said "thanks buddy have a great day".  So my friend was like "That was awesome that you had the EXACT #'s to shut his asss up because even a beginner like me could see he was full of sh**".

Excellent passive brag....  definitely showed him lol....  Did your friend do anything else to offer her praise to you after that?

Two things I hate in this world are B/S artists who don't know what their talking about and Democrats  :)   Don't pee on my head and tell me it's raining.  Do NOT emphatically stand by your position (while having an attitude like he did) when someone presents the facts how you are wrong.  I am no "golf knowledge god" but I would put myself in the top 5% of people who walk into any golf store and I UNDERSTAND golf equipment.  When I am interested in a topic I educate myself till I am blue in the face so I make an educated purchase.  How some of you guys buy 3-4-5-6 sets of irons during a year and say "they didn't work out".  Well what did you do in research/testing before you bought them?

I do not start threads "whats the most forgiving driver/iron" because those are THE stupidest things out there.  No one person can answer another person's question.  A more appropriate thread is "For the 5-10 hdcp with a 110mph s/s,  what drivers have you had success with?".
Callaway GBB 9* Diamana Kai'LI 70S
Callaway RFE 9.5* Diamana Kai'LI 70S
Callaway RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
Callaway RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Callaway Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
http://ink361.com/ap...admike72/photos

@BigDudeGuy72

23

#24 crapula

crapula

    Golf!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114016
  • Joined: 08/31/2010
  • Location:Illinois
  • Handicap:3.0
GolfWRX Likes : 246

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

My wedges have dot dot dot dash dash dash dot dot dot.
Adams Fast 12 LS 8.5
Adams Super LS 3w 14.5
19* Srixon Z965
3-PW Srixon Z965. Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X
Cleveland RTX-3 52, 58. DG Tour Issue Black Onyx X
Cleveland Elevado
Srixon Yellow ZStar XV

24

#25 lowdrive

lowdrive

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4676
  • Joined: 08/07/2005
  • Location:Stillwater, Ok
  • Ebay ID:purpleshades
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

The kid pushing Titleist probably was going to get a bigger commission on the Titleist, and you witnessed his best "sales pitch".  I remember the old day's at Fry's.  Each little computer company might offer a special "incentive" on sales of their computers for a certain period.  The sales associates were informed of that, so when a customer asked about a computer the sales person would recommend which ever offered the best kickback for that day.


25

#26 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,018 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
  • Joined: 01/16/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 577

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

View PostYuck, on 04 October 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

At lunch today I was in a big box golf store and overheard the following conversation:


Customer, who was looking at Cleveland wedges.  "what do the dots mean on the sole of the club, I notice some have one dot, some two dots and some three dots?"

Response:  "The dots refer to the bounce of the wedge"  (So far so good).

Customer:  "What do you mean bounce?".

Response "Shots with the wedges with one dot, bounce once and then stop.  the wedges with 2 dots, bounce twice and then stop, and the wedges with three dots, bounce three times and then check".   (Just like on TV).

I had to walk away on that one, since no real harm was being done.  I never even could have imagined that concept, even if I was trying to be funny.  I am sure this was well intentioned advice, so I will not judge, but it did make me smile.
This has to be true.  As you said, you couldn't make this up if you had tried !!
PING G400 MAX 10.5 Fujikura Pro 2.0 65g R
Titleist F2 917 18* Diamana 60g S+
Titleist 816 H1 21* Diamana S+
PING G400 4-P Nippon Modus Tour 105 R
Titleist SM7 50.8, 54.8 and 58.12
Odyssey EXO #7 35"

26

#27 BlkNGld

BlkNGld

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7518
  • Joined: 11/08/2005
  • Location:Northern California
GolfWRX Likes : 398

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

View PostYuck, on 04 October 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

At lunch today I was in a big box golf store and overheard the following conversation:


Customer, who was looking at Cleveland wedges.  "what do the dots mean on the sole of the club, I notice some have one dot, some two dots and some three dots?"

Response:  "The dots refer to the bounce of the wedge"  (So far so good).

Customer:  "What do you mean bounce?".

Response "Shots with the wedges with one dot, bounce once and then stop.  the wedges with 2 dots, bounce twice and then stop, and the wedges with three dots, bounce three times and then check".   (Just like on TV).

I had to walk away on that one, since no real harm was being done.  I never even could have imagined that concept, even if I was trying to be funny.  I am sure this was well intentioned advice, so I will not judge, but it did make me smile.

It would be fun to go in there and ask which marking will let me back up shots like <insert cleveland staffer here> did on TV.

27

#28 Veng

Veng

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170380
  • Joined: 03/20/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

View Postcrapula, on 05 October 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

My wedges have dot dot dot dash dash dash dot dot dot.
I've got a solid line from side to side, Is that why I blade mine over the green?

28

#29 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,018 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
  • Joined: 01/16/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 577

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

View PostVeng, on 05 October 2012 - 01:47 PM, said:

View Postcrapula, on 05 October 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

My wedges have dot dot dot dash dash dash dot dot dot.
I've got a solid line from side to side, Is that why I blade mine over the green?
Strange....Mine says 54 on the bottom, but it goes more like 95 to 100 yards.

Edited by Carolina Golfer 2, 05 October 2012 - 02:16 PM.

PING G400 MAX 10.5 Fujikura Pro 2.0 65g R
Titleist F2 917 18* Diamana 60g S+
Titleist 816 H1 21* Diamana S+
PING G400 4-P Nippon Modus Tour 105 R
Titleist SM7 50.8, 54.8 and 58.12
Odyssey EXO #7 35"

29

#30 nbg352

nbg352

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144021
  • Joined: 10/25/2011
  • Location:Ontario Golden Horseshoe
  • Handicap:8.6
GolfWRX Likes : 3940

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

View PostYuck, on 04 October 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

At lunch today I was in a big box golf store and overheard the following conversation:


Customer, who was looking at Cleveland wedges.  "what do the dots mean on the sole of the club, I notice some have one dot, some two dots and some three dots?"

Response:  "The dots refer to the bounce of the wedge"  (So far so good).

Customer:  "What do you mean bounce?".

Response "Shots with the wedges with one dot, bounce once and then stop.  the wedges with 2 dots, bounce twice and then stop, and the wedges with three dots, bounce three times and then check".   (Just like on TV).

I had to walk away on that one, since no real harm was being done.  I never even could have imagined that concept, even if I was trying to be funny.  I am sure this was well intentioned advice, so I will not judge, but it did make me smile.
I find this difficult to buy. Sorry. Almost all big box golf associates know what bounce is. No big box golf store would survive if it's staff was not golf trained, at least in the basics. Bounce and Clevelands way of expressing it on their wedges is a basic training session that is often overseen by the Cleveland rep himself. If the associate knows that Cleveland wedges have dots on them and he knows they represent bounce, then he knows what bounce is.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby  KE4  14* 3w , Axe Excaliber  R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
   Mizuno MP30  5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors