Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

ESPN 30 for 30: Broke


30 replies to this topic

#1 PedronNiall

PedronNiall

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135461
  • Joined: 08/06/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:47 PM

First one I've gotten a chance to sit down and watch. Crazy to see guys spending it like it's water when they come into all that money. Definitely enough side issues to make documentaries of their own, but well put together. Anyone else get a chance to check it out?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 JLTD63

JLTD63

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70526
  • Joined: 12/09/2008
  • Location:Utah
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

I recorded it and watched it last night...I liked it, definitely worth watching.

I wouldn't say that I feel bad for the athletes, but they all talked about one subject and how difficult it can be...family and friends coming out of the woodwork for "help."  Jet's LB Bart Scott (who seems like a smart guy by the way) said he's supporting five households.  Bernie Kosar said there were times when he was paying for 60-80 cell phones monthly.

#3 knudson81

knudson81

    #CALLAWRX 12/12/12 & True Temper Test Panel

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23000
  • Joined: 12/21/2006
  • Location:Michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

I also felt a little bad for these guys. There was financial help available, but no one really taught them how to handle money. Andre Rison didn't even know that taxes were taken out of his check! And I bet that is because he never had to have a job. He was an elite athlete and was just pushed along to get into the NFL.
Big Bertha Alpha / PX LZ 64g Handcrafted
Big Bertha 3w / PX LZ 71g Handcrafted
X2 Hot Pro 20+23 / Project X 6.5 (blue)
Apex / Recoil 110 F5
Odyssey Protype #7
Cally MD2 50s-54T-58T / Recoil 125 F4
WITB Link

#4 JLTD63

JLTD63

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70526
  • Joined: 12/09/2008
  • Location:Utah
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

Yeah that was crazy about Rison...said that literally the very first time he even heard of income tax was when it was deducted from his first check.  That's amazing.  I guess that's probably the case for most, but my first paycheck was at 14. LOL

#5 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,407 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
  • Joined: 05/28/2008
  • Location:Scottsdale Az
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 549

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

Very good program and at the same time it disappoints me that ESPN is capable of producing stuff like this yet they continue to feedTebow and the Jets down our throats non stop.


9.5 9064 Oban Devotion 06
14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
18* IDEA PRO Hybrid the OG
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill
Vokey 52/56/60 200series/TVDK/TVDMgrind
WITB Link

#6 PedronNiall

PedronNiall

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135461
  • Joined: 08/06/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

The saddest story was probably the player who felt like he had to give his dad things the same way he used to get him beers so that he wouldn't hit him, hoping that if he was happy things would be okay. Also his thoughts on at least once he lost his money his family and friends left him alone long enough for thim to figure out who was really there for him.

Just sucks that as mentioned they just were never given any understanding of managing their money responsibly, especially for the NFL players who likely won't see even a third of their contract due to injuries.

#7 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

    EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
  • Joined: 10/02/2011
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 1968

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

I really liked it. I think we all like to point the finger at these guys when they spend foolishly (which they all seemed to take responsibility for) but I was pretty moved by some of the stories of family and friends taking advantage of them, And also by the stories of unscrupulous financial advisors and people looking to fund bad business projects, these guys are certainly targets for that.



#8 Petethreeput

Petethreeput

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146815
  • Joined: 11/15/2011
  • Location:Montana
  • Handicap:2.2
GolfWRX Likes : 170

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

I watched a little of it and was really moved by it.  I personally cannot imagine making that kind of money for a few years and then expecting to live off it for the next 40 years... with little to no preparation concerning fiduciary responsibility.

Just because a person is bestowed with millions does not mean they know what it means, or how to handle it.  Kosar said he noticed when he wasn't rich anymore no one called him, including his family.

Sad really.

#9 mac94

mac94

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25038
  • Joined: 02/04/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 247

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:50 AM

Kosar was a business major.

#10 itw419

itw419

    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts....

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34050
  • Joined: 07/08/2007
  • Location:Michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

I thought it was subpar. It was really interesting but I thought poorly put together. I love the 30 for 30. By far the best thing Espn does not counting live sports. I just thought this one didn't come close to being as good as most of the other documentaries they have done. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

RBZ Tour Miyazaki Kusula White 61x
Taylor Made R9 4 wood stock 70x
ClevelandHalo 22*&Adams Super LS 19*
Titleist AP2 710 5- PW X100
Vokey 52*&56* MacGregor 60*
Nike Method Drone Belly

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#11 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Joined: 07/06/2009
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 233

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

just watched it this morning. really interesting and gives you a new perspective instead of just thinking how these guys are so stupid to make millions and lose it all so quick. of course they waste it away on cars and jewelry, buts its interesting how they compete off the field with spending more than other teammate, how little these guys plan for the future. its more sad than anything. not sure these guys go through their careers knowing who is their friend and who is trying to profit and take advantage of them, especially when its often their own family trying to take advantage of them.


I'm sure the this has become mandatory watch in the locker rooms of teams in sports now. If they watch this and don't have a new outlook on things then no one can help them.
Adams Fast 12 LS 10.5* W/ Fubuki S
TM Stage 2 Tour 3HL TP w/ Matrix RUL 80
Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid 18*
TM Speedblades 4-PW, AW KBS TOUR S
TM ATV 54* and 58*
SeeMore mFGP2 34"

#12 OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1282
  • Joined: 06/01/2005
  • Location:Reading, MA
  • Handicap:16.1
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

I didn't see it but I like the 30 for 30 and E:60 series alot (The Marcus Dupree story was one of the most fascinating stories I ever saw...I don't follow college football and I have watched it twice).

Didn't Antoine Walker blow thru like $80M?
Callaway RFE 9.5* Fubuki Alpha 70X
Callaway RFE 16.5* 4 wood UST Tour 86gr
Callaway X2Hot 19* * & Hogan CFT 21*
Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW KBS Tour
YES! Tracy
Vokey 52.08 & 58.08

#13 JLTD63

JLTD63

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70526
  • Joined: 12/09/2008
  • Location:Utah
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

They showed a few photos of Walker and briefly mentioned him I think...but he wasn't interviewed for the show.  I thought once I heard or read that he was playing for the D league team in Boise?

#14 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
  • Joined: 01/16/2006
  • Location:Maryland
GolfWRX Likes : 327

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

View PostHoosierMizuno, on 07 October 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

just watched it this morning. really interesting and gives you a new perspective instead of just thinking how these guys are so stupid to make millions and lose it all so quick. of course they waste it away on cars and jewelry, buts its interesting how they compete off the field with spending more than other teammate, how little these guys plan for the future. its more sad than anything. not sure these guys go through their careers knowing who is their friend and who is trying to profit and take advantage of them, especially when its often their own family trying to take advantage of them.


I'm sure the this has become mandatory watch in the locker rooms of teams in sports now. If they watch this and don't have a new outlook on things then no one can help them.
That's one of the things no one has mentioned.  Knowing a couple former NFL players, they have told me the League has programs in place to help with handling your finances and adjusting to the lifestyle.    it is a required attendance for every rookie and open to any veterans who want to make use of it.

But a lot of them see it as a waste of time, and not important.  They are too worried about getting their first Esclade or buying houses for everyone under the sun.   The help and resources are there, many just choose to ignore it.

On the subject of 30 for 30 overall...I love them there are some great stories and are done very well.
OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#15 EK16

EK16

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87450
  • Joined: 07/04/2009
  • Location:♫ Standing in the hall of fame ♫
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

The biggest thing that stuck out to me was why guys would invest millions of dollars in risky venture funds when they could easily make very solid returns on safer investments. A solid 2.5% annual return on $10M is $250,000/yr. More than anyone needs to live comfortably.


#16 PedronNiall

PedronNiall

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135461
  • Joined: 08/06/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 10 October 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

View PostHoosierMizuno, on 07 October 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

just watched it this morning. really interesting and gives you a new perspective instead of just thinking how these guys are so stupid to make millions and lose it all so quick. of course they waste it away on cars and jewelry, buts its interesting how they compete off the field with spending more than other teammate, how little these guys plan for the future. its more sad than anything. not sure these guys go through their careers knowing who is their friend and who is trying to profit and take advantage of them, especially when its often their own family trying to take advantage of them.


I'm sure the this has become mandatory watch in the locker rooms of teams in sports now. If they watch this and don't have a new outlook on things then no one can help them.
That's one of the things no one has mentioned.  Knowing a couple former NFL players, they have told me the League has programs in place to help with handling your finances and adjusting to the lifestyle.    it is a required attendance for every rookie and open to any veterans who want to make use of it.

But a lot of them see it as a waste of time, and not important.  They are too worried about getting their first Esclade or buying houses for everyone under the sun.   The help and resources are there, many just choose to ignore it.

On the subject of 30 for 30 overall...I love them there are some great stories and are done very well.
They mentioned that in the film.

View PostEK16, on 10 October 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

The biggest thing that stuck out to me was why guys would invest millions of dollars in risky venture funds when they could easily make very solid returns on safer investments. A solid 2.5% annual return on $10M is $250,000/yr. More than anyone needs to live comfortably.
As they said in the movie, players don't find safe investments "sexy." They want to do it their own way and see huge returns, not make 5% a year.

#17 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Joined: 07/06/2009
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 233

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 10 October 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

View PostHoosierMizuno, on 07 October 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

just watched it this morning. really interesting and gives you a new perspective instead of just thinking how these guys are so stupid to make millions and lose it all so quick. of course they waste it away on cars and jewelry, buts its interesting how they compete off the field with spending more than other teammate, how little these guys plan for the future. its more sad than anything. not sure these guys go through their careers knowing who is their friend and who is trying to profit and take advantage of them, especially when its often their own family trying to take advantage of them.


I'm sure the this has become mandatory watch in the locker rooms of teams in sports now. If they watch this and don't have a new outlook on things then no one can help them.
That's one of the things no one has mentioned.  Knowing a couple former NFL players, they have told me the League has programs in place to help with handling your finances and adjusting to the lifestyle. it is a required attendance for every rookie and open to any veterans who want to make use of it.

But a lot of them see it as a waste of time, and not important.  They are too worried about getting their first Esclade or buying houses for everyone under the sun.   The help and resources are there, many just choose to ignore it.

On the subject of 30 for 30 overall...I love them there are some great stories and are done very well.

yep this was mentioned. talked about few of the guys falling asleep during these classes and the overall mentality that this would never happen to them. i think broke might get a few more players attention. it mentioned how the era of over spending is slowing coming to an end where more guys are seriously looking at their future and making efforts to make sure they are set financially for the rest of their lives.
Adams Fast 12 LS 10.5* W/ Fubuki S
TM Stage 2 Tour 3HL TP w/ Matrix RUL 80
Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid 18*
TM Speedblades 4-PW, AW KBS TOUR S
TM ATV 54* and 58*
SeeMore mFGP2 34"

#18 Bob Cat

Bob Cat

    Golfiopath

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64647
  • Joined: 08/31/2008
  • Location:East Central Indiana
  • Handicap:~10
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

View PostPedronNiall, on 04 October 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

The saddest story was probably the player who felt like he had to give his dad things the same way he used to get him beers so that he wouldn't hit him, hoping that if he was happy things would be okay. Also his thoughts on at least once he lost his money his family and friends left him alone long enough for thim to figure out who was really there for him.

Just sucks that as mentioned they just were never given any understanding of managing their money responsibly, especially for the NFL players who likely won't see even a third of their contract due to injuries.

That was Bernie Kosar.  I got the impression he was happier now than when he had millions playing the game.

I don't feel apathy for a bunch of pimped up selfish punks who can't take a moment to figure simple math on a cochtail napkin.  Pathetic.
Cleveland Classic XL
Ping i15
Titleist Vokey
SC Futura Phantom
Callaway Super Soft
Sun Mountain Four 5

#19 JPayne0415

JPayne0415

    Rookie

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90826
  • Joined: 08/05/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

Pretty sad stuff if you ask me.

#20 PZero

PZero

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129810
  • Joined: 05/30/2011
  • Location:Ohio
  • Handicap:1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1298

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

View PostBob Cat, on 11 October 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

View PostPedronNiall, on 04 October 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

The saddest story was probably the player who felt like he had to give his dad things the same way he used to get him beers so that he wouldn't hit him, hoping that if he was happy things would be okay. Also his thoughts on at least once he lost his money his family and friends left him alone long enough for thim to figure out who was really there for him.

Just sucks that as mentioned they just were never given any understanding of managing their money responsibly, especially for the NFL players who likely won't see even a third of their contract due to injuries.

That was Bernie Kosar.  I got the impression he was happier now than when he had millions playing the game.

Kosar drowns himself in alcohol these days. That doesn't seem like something a happy man does.

Edited by PZero, 17 October 2012 - 04:28 PM.

R11S 10.5 Whiteboad 63S
TEE XCG7 15
TM R9 19
Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
Vokey 50, TVD 56
Studio Select Newport

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#21 Bob Cat

Bob Cat

    Golfiopath

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64647
  • Joined: 08/31/2008
  • Location:East Central Indiana
  • Handicap:~10
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

View PostPZero, on 16 October 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

View PostBob Cat, on 11 October 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

View PostPedronNiall, on 04 October 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

The saddest story was probably the player who felt like he had to give his dad things the same way he used to get him beers so that he wouldn't hit him, hoping that if he was happy things would be okay. Also his thoughts on at least once he lost his money his family and friends left him alone long enough for thim to figure out who was really there for him.

Just sucks that as mentioned they just were never given any understanding of managing their money responsibly, especially for the NFL players who likely won't see even a third of their contract due to injuries.

That was Bernie Kosar.  I got the impression he was happier now than when he had millions playing the game.

Kosar drowns himself in alcohol these days. That's doesn't seem like something a happy man does.

Agree, if true.
Cleveland Classic XL
Ping i15
Titleist Vokey
SC Futura Phantom
Callaway Super Soft
Sun Mountain Four 5

#22 highdraw69

highdraw69

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22243
  • Joined: 11/28/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

weren't there guys on there talking about buying furs and "making it rain" in strip clubs? i have little to no empathy for professional athletes who go broke...many are simply returning to the proper mean, as they wouldn't qualify for a fry cook job at mickey dee's in real life

#23 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

    EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
  • Joined: 10/02/2011
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 1968

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

Know what's weird about making it rain at a strip club? When these pro athletes do it it's nothing but praise and awe, but when I take the penny jar I keep on the counter down there and dump it on a stripper I wound up getting pummeled in the back alley by a couple of bouncers.

What gives?

#24 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59803
  • Joined: 07/07/2008
  • Location:central Illinois
GolfWRX Likes : 536

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

Any stripper worth her silicon should've known those pennies are worth a good 105% their face value in raw metals!

#25 JLTD63

JLTD63

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70526
  • Joined: 12/09/2008
  • Location:Utah
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

View Posthighdraw69, on 17 October 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

weren't there guys on there talking about buying furs and "making it rain" in strip clubs? i have little to no empathy for professional athletes who go broke...many are simply returning to the proper mean, as they wouldn't qualify for a fry cook job at mickey dee's in real life

A couple of the guys did talk about stuff like that, but they were more or less taking the stance of "I was such an idiot...this is what I did..."

The one guy (can't remember who), NFL guy, got a $60,000 severance package (from a mult-million dollar contract) after he was injured badly enough to end his career.  He talked about how that VERY day he took the cash and paid $54,000 for a truck.  He knew how ridiculous it was looking back, you could hear the disgust and regret in his voice!  Guess he couldn't resist.


#26 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

    EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
  • Joined: 10/02/2011
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 1968

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostJLTD63, on 23 October 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

View Posthighdraw69, on 17 October 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

weren't there guys on there talking about buying furs and "making it rain" in strip clubs? i have little to no empathy for professional athletes who go broke...many are simply returning to the proper mean, as they wouldn't qualify for a fry cook job at mickey dee's in real life

A couple of the guys did talk about stuff like that, but they were more or less taking the stance of "I was such an idiot...this is what I did..."

The one guy (can't remember who), NFL guy, got a $60,000 severance package (from a mult-million dollar contract) after he was injured badly enough to end his career.  He talked about how that VERY day he took the cash and paid $54,000 for a truck.  He knew how ridiculous it was looking back, you could hear the disgust and regret in his voice!  Guess he couldn't resist.

Leon searcy, there's a good article online about him going broke if you google him.

#27 Bob Cat

Bob Cat

    Golfiopath

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64647
  • Joined: 08/31/2008
  • Location:East Central Indiana
  • Handicap:~10
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

View PostThrillhouse, on 23 October 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

View PostJLTD63, on 23 October 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

View Posthighdraw69, on 17 October 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

weren't there guys on there talking about buying furs and "making it rain" in strip clubs? i have little to no empathy for professional athletes who go broke...many are simply returning to the proper mean, as they wouldn't qualify for a fry cook job at mickey dee's in real life

A couple of the guys did talk about stuff like that, but they were more or less taking the stance of "I was such an idiot...this is what I did..."

The one guy (can't remember who), NFL guy, got a $60,000 severance package (from a mult-million dollar contract) after he was injured badly enough to end his career.  He talked about how that VERY day he took the cash and paid $54,000 for a truck.  He knew how ridiculous it was looking back, you could hear the disgust and regret in his voice!  Guess he couldn't resist.

Leon searcy, there's a good article online about him going broke if you google him.

I believe it was a new Hummer... fwiw
Cleveland Classic XL
Ping i15
Titleist Vokey
SC Futura Phantom
Callaway Super Soft
Sun Mountain Four 5

#28 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

    EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
  • Joined: 10/02/2011
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 1968

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

View PostBob Cat, on 23 October 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

View PostThrillhouse, on 23 October 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

View PostJLTD63, on 23 October 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

View Posthighdraw69, on 17 October 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

weren't there guys on there talking about buying furs and "making it rain" in strip clubs? i have little to no empathy for professional athletes who go broke...many are simply returning to the proper mean, as they wouldn't qualify for a fry cook job at mickey dee's in real life

A couple of the guys did talk about stuff like that, but they were more or less taking the stance of "I was such an idiot...this is what I did..."

The one guy (can't remember who), NFL guy, got a $60,000 severance package (from a mult-million dollar contract) after he was injured badly enough to end his career.  He talked about how that VERY day he took the cash and paid $54,000 for a truck.  He knew how ridiculous it was looking back, you could hear the disgust and regret in his voice!  Guess he couldn't resist.

Leon searcy, there's a good article online about him going broke if you google him.

I believe it was a new Hummer... fwiw

It wasn't just A new hummer, it was THE new hummer, H2 fresh out the box!

But yeah, brutal financial decision.

#29 sackgolf

sackgolf

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142601
  • Joined: 10/14/2011
  • Location:Michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

View PostPedronNiall, on 03 October 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

First one I've gotten a chance to sit down and watch. Crazy to see guys spending it like it's water when they come into all that money. Definitely enough side issues to make documentaries of their own, but well put together. Anyone else get a chance to check it out?

Yeah, I saw it.  VERY interesting!  Amazing how they spend their money, however, I did buy the same shirt, FRED SANFORD "how bout 5 cross your lip" that 1 guy was wearing.lol.

#30 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

    prsgtrman

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178754
  • Joined: 05/03/2012
  • Location:charlotte
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

ahh for me its a little hard to feel bad for these guys. how many of them went to college. it doesnt take a degree to know youre gonna run out of money if you spend like some of these guys did.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.







0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors