Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Heading back to Myrtle Beach in early Nov.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 dporto

dporto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150605
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

As the title says... I'll be staying at the Myrtlewood Villas... Anybody have any experiences there? How are the courses? Last time I was down there we stopped at Rivers Edge on the first day after flying in. Then we played mostly at the Pawleys Island end of the strand (River Club, Willbrook Plantation - 36 a day). We played Cape Fear National on the way back to the airport on the last day (the best course of them all imo). Though the Pawleys Island courses were nice, I wasn't crazy about the 45 min drive to and from the course. I'm thinking that this time we'll probably play a little closer to where we're staying (though we plan to play Caledonia...). There are literally courses on top of courses so I'm sure there are some good ones close by...Any suggestions welcome. Thx

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

I've stayed at Myrtle Wood...(it was like 5 years ago, so this isn't real current info).

The condo's were fine.  Not luxurios, but certainly served our need, clean provided a place to kick back relax and cook in and enjoy some beer and basketball (we were there during March Madness).

The courses were not top notch at all.  The main course is Ok and the better of the two, I can't remeber the two names, but you will be able to tell.  The "other" course should be avoided.  Nothing good about it at all that I can recall.

We also played a lot of the name courses on that trip.

World Golf Tour is a replica of mostly Internatonal holes but does throw in Amen Corner and 17 at TPC Sawgrass.  I've seen better replicas but the condition was phenominal.

Any of the Barefoot courses were fantastic.   We also played Willbrook and Legends.  Both were above average and I would play again.
OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#3 SheriffBooth

SheriffBooth

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17355
  • Handicap:3.4
  • Ebay ID:yakima2k

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

Just got back from there on Sunday and played Pine Lakes, Barefoot Fazio, Caledonia, and Dunes (Members).  The only one that I can't recommend was Barefoot Fazio.  It was soaking wet from overseeding and the greens were like bricks but also bumpy.  Nobody in my group had fun on that course.  Some in our group also played Barefoot Love and said it was quite a bit more playable than Fazio - who knows what they will be like come November, though.

Pine Lakes was wide open and a good warmup.  Caledonia was awesome as always.  Dunes (Members) was great, although some of their bentgrass greens were a little burned up.
TM SLDR S, 10* Oban Kiyoshi Gold 04 45"
TM SLDR TP TS, Speeder TS 8.3 S
TM SLDR S Rescue, 19*, Fuji Fuel 85 S
TM SLDR irons, 4-AW, DG XP S300 +1"
Nike VR Forged 55, 60 DG XP S300 +1"
Bettinardi BB5, 35.5" SS Claw Grip

#4 dporto

dporto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

Thanks guys...Good to know...We almost stayed at Barefoot but two of the guys who have houses there were much further South, so we decided on Myrtlewood instead (more centrally located).

#5 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• 7,702 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

View Postdporto, on 03 October 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

Thanks guys...Good to know...We almost stayed at Barefoot but two of the guys who have houses there were much further South, so we decided on Myrtlewood instead (more centrally located).
Fess up....You're going on a preview practice trip for the GolfWrx Open and really have the inside info on what courses will be played :)

5-PW XHot PX 5.5
Versa No. 7

#6 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 199

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

Myrtlewood is a nice place to stay no complaints from people i know that stayed there! as for your courses Rivers Edge's greens are doing well and course is in great shape. Wilbrook and River Club are very nice mid-level courses. If you want to add anything you can try the Myrtlewood courses and if you want southern ones try Caledonia, True blue or TPC.
TM R1 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM RBZ Tour 13 Matrix Xcon 7
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM R11 4-pw Project X
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 DG Spinner
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

#7 dporto

dporto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:33 AM

No... Willbrook, River Club and Rivers Edge were the courses I played on my last trip. We haven't really committed to anything yet for this trip. Two of the guys in the group have homes in Myrtle beach so we'll be using the Myrtle Beach Golf Passport to book our rounds. I'm pretty sure that TPC and/or Caledonia will be on the itinerary, but after those we'll fill in as needed and as availability allows. The Myrtlewood course(s) would only enter the equation if we get closed out somewhere else (I can't see that happenning with the sheer volume of courses down there and playing midweek) or maybe a late afternoon round after playing the morning somewhere else.

"Fess up....You're going on a preview practice trip for the GolfWrx Open and really have the inside info on what courses will be played"

Ha! That's funny, but no...I have no inside knowledge of the Golfwrx Open :)

#8 sabram

sabram

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31296
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

View PostSheriffBooth, on 03 October 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

Just got back from there on Sunday and played Pine Lakes, Barefoot Fazio, Caledonia, and Dunes (Members).  The only one that I can't recommend was Barefoot Fazio.  It was soaking wet from overseeding and the greens were like bricks but also bumpy.  Nobody in my group had fun on that course.  Some in our group also played Barefoot Love and said it was quite a bit more playable than Fazio - who knows what they will be like come November, though.

Not sure if you mean the Dunes Club (a RT Jones Sr course and one of the Oldest at the beach) or Grande Dunes Members, (which I think was designed by Craig Schriner and is one of the newest courses in MB.) They are very different.

If OP is playing in November there is no reason not to play Barefoot Fazio. By then the overseed will have fully grown in and the course will be in good winter condition. The lesson is to always check overseeding  schedules when planning a fall trip to MB

Edited by sabram, 05 October 2012 - 07:14 AM.

#9 SheriffBooth

SheriffBooth

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17355
  • Handicap:3.4
  • Ebay ID:yakima2k

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

Sorry, Dunes Golf & Beach Club, not Grande Dunes (Members) - got them mixed together since they were both on our list to possibly play.  We played the 1948 RTJ, Sr. course - they've played senior events there in the past - they had all the old score placards up in the locker room.
TM SLDR S, 10* Oban Kiyoshi Gold 04 45"
TM SLDR TP TS, Speeder TS 8.3 S
TM SLDR S Rescue, 19*, Fuji Fuel 85 S
TM SLDR irons, 4-AW, DG XP S300 +1"
Nike VR Forged 55, 60 DG XP S300 +1"
Bettinardi BB5, 35.5" SS Claw Grip

#10 Fore_Man

Fore_Man

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68672
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

If you're going in and out of Wilmington you should consider heading over to Bald Head Island for a day trip.  Nice course, incredible island.  There's nothing like it.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Mags

Mags

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116659
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

I'm gonna be there at the same time possibly (I'm just there the first weekend of November).  My place isn't too far from Myrtlewood actually, at the Sheraton Broadway Plantation.

It seems that weekend is the last weekend of their higher fall rates so I'm hoping everything is still in good shape.

My only definite course is TPC since I have a raincheck from this past spring.  Currently I'm trying to decide if I'd rather play 1 other round but make it a good one (True Blue or Caledonia) or if I want 2 cheaper rounds.  Since the rates are still mostly high I'm leaning towards the 1 other nice round. . .seems like most places that are worth playing would still run at least $70-80 anyway.

From when I was there in spring, even though I hardly ever see it get much press, I really enjoyed Wachesaw East for a non-super-pricey course.  Was in really good condition at the time I was there and the layout was challenging enough, without being unfair.  The Barefoot courses are pretty nice (and I think they all got new greens either this year or last).  My favorites there are the Love and Dye courses. . .Fazio I wasn't a big fan of.
Ping i20 9.5, Fuji Motore F3
TEE CB3 16.5
Adams Super LS 19, A12 Pro 23
Adams MB2, Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM 52, Ping Tour S 58
Ping Ketsch

#12 dporto

dporto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

View PostFore_Man, on 05 October 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

If you're going in and out of Wilmington you should consider heading over to Bald Head Island for a day trip.  Nice course, incredible island.  There's nothing like it.

We flew into Wilmington last spring, but I'm driving down this time (it'll be nice having my own vehicle there - not being tied to "the group"). I think we might try to hit Cape Fear National on the way out of town (I really enjoyed that course on the last trip) and then play a day in Maryland (I've got friends there) on the trip back.

#13 poppyhillsguy

poppyhillsguy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2601
GolfWRX Likes : 230

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

From Thursday, 10/18 to Sunday, 10/21 I played Barefoot (Norman once, Dye twice, Love twice, and Fazio twice).  All 4 courses were in great shape.  My favorite was Fazio and the other two guys thought Dye was their favorite.  All 4 courses were  in great condition and I didn't see anything wrong with Fazio other than it is a really hard course.

#14 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• 7,702 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

View Postpoppyhillsguy, on 22 October 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

From Thursday, 10/18 to Sunday, 10/21 I played Barefoot (Norman once, Dye twice, Love twice, and Fazio twice).  All 4 courses were in great shape.  My favorite was Fazio and the other two guys thought Dye was their favorite.  All 4 courses were  in great condition and I didn't see anything wrong with Fazio other than it is a really hard course.
Nice trip!!!!  .considering your screen name, I'm sure you're not easily impressed.
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
Versa No. 7

#15 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44297
GolfWRX Likes : 696

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

MBGA (MB Golfers Association) has some good course reviews and breaks it down into North/Central/South courses

http://www.mbga.com/

Edited by jnradioactive, 22 October 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#16 dporto

dporto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

View Postjnradioactive, on 22 October 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

MBGA (MB Golfers Association) has some good course reviews and breaks it down into North/Central/South courses

http://www.mbga.com/

Yhea, we'll be playing on the "Myrtle Beach Golf Passport" as a couple of the guys in the group own homes there. Generally speaking I think the "passport" gets you 30-40% off the standard rack rates for out of towners. If I did my math right it looks like golf and lodging (two bedroom condo for two guys) will run us about $600-700...Food/Drink is anyones guess - I'm thinking we should be able to do the  trip for a total of approx $1200.00

#17 Chris_NH

Chris_NH

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96549
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

View Postdporto, on 06 October 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

View PostFore_Man, on 05 October 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

We flew into Wilmington last spring, but I'm driving down this time (it'll be nice having my own vehicle there - not being tied to "the group"). I think we might try to hit Cape Fear National on the way out of town (I really enjoyed that course on the last trip) and then play a day in Maryland (I've got friends there) on the trip back.

I completely agree with you about Cape Fear National.  Best course I've played in the Myrtle Beach area (I know, I know - it's not technically on the Strand - but close enough).  IMO, it's the type of course you plan your trip around in order to play it.

#18 golfheaven69

golfheaven69

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16985
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

Caledonia and The Dunes Club are must's in Myrtle.

#19 damnorcross

damnorcross

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9945
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

Caledonia is great, and True Blue is fantastic.

#20 daverain1

daverain1

CT Birdieman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71605
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

I'll second the positive reviews on the Barefoot Fazio, Dye, and Love.  Cafe Fear Nat'l was terrific and challenging also, especially if there's some wind.  One not mentioned was Glen Dornach, which might have the toughest finish in Myrtle.  Great track and often priced with a free replay.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors