Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

My story: Returning to golf after bilateral hip replacements at 35

138 replies to this topic

#61 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 710

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Well the first round back went much better than expected. I ended up playing at 6800 yards and shooting an 80 on the round. Good news is no pain, but still dealing with quite a bit of muscle fatigue as the round went on. I can feel it in my lower body that I am not as strong as I would like to be. I still put myself around 80%. I will be sore tomorrow but I can deal with muscle soreness. Pretty happy with how I struck the ball for the most part today. Highlight of the round was stiffing a hybrid from 210 to 3 feet on the 450 yard par 4 5th hole. Made the birdie putt for my only birdie on the round. I gave myself plenty of good looks for birdies but just couldnt convert.

Today was not really about scoring though the only expectation I put on myself was break 90 just based on how my range sessions went. It felt amazing to get back on the course and play again. Ironically I ended up getting paired with an Orthopedic Surgeon which mentally put me at ease for some reason. I really went after a couple shots pretty hard and everything held up. I just need to keep working out to keep getting stronger and improve my muscle stamina. All in all a huge success today.

Edit Medicaptain could not make it so no new videos today but here was my highlight shot of the round the previously mentioned hybrid from 210
Posted Image

Edited by One_Putt_Blunder, 16 November 2012 - 07:37 PM.

9.5 9064 Oban Devotion 06
14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
18* IDEA PRO Hybrid the OG
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill
Vokey 52/56/60 200series/TVDK/TVDMgrind
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 golfnut5438

golfnut5438

Aces Up

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,312 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39280
  • Ebay ID:golfnut5438
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

Great news Matt.  Glad to hear it went better than expected.  Hope the recovery continues to go well and the birdies fall even more often.  Which stick did you use today?

#63 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Thanks Randy,
I took the Byron only the 4th round I have been able to play with it. I just cannot see replacing that thing it came out so good

Edited by One_Putt_Blunder, 16 November 2012 - 07:29 PM.

14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
WITB Link

#64 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Felt pretty decent after Fridays round so decided to push it and play again today. Started off pretty well shot a 39 on the front then the fatigue really started kicking in and blew up the back nine a walk off birdie on 18 brought me back to a 43 on the back 9 for an 82. I am feeling it now very sore and tired currently kicking back watching the afternoon NFL games with 2 bags of ice on my hips. No pain in the hips themselves just muscle soreness. I will be back in the gym going pretty hard this week with some extra focus on the endurance work. I did grab a quick DTL of the driver not my best swing by any means was pull fade but swing is starting to feel a bit more confident as i continue to hit balls and play.

14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
WITB Link

#65 kenwiggins11

kenwiggins11

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117327
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

Awesome job!  I live in the NW getting bombed with rain! Following you on twitter keep up the good work. Man I hope I can comeback as well as you!

#66 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103884
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:35 AM

Great story.  Keep up the good work!

#67 Pleasedwith3putts

Pleasedwith3putts

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14749
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Must be nice for you to see how much you were able to clear your left side.

Am guessing that you will naturally pull / hook for a bit while your body figures out you can get the club on line by clearing your left side rather than relying on coming over the top which is the natural goto for hip restrictions

#68 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

It is very weird to be able to clear the left side as well as get the club back to parallel at the top of the backswing. Being able to clear the hips is one of my biggest adjustments to get through right now. Early in the rounds the big pull has been the occasional miss, then when the fatigue sets in on the back nine the big weak cut shows up.

I was very sore today but more so in the golf related muscles so hopefully as I continue to hit more balls and play more that will get better with time. Going to check in with my PT this week and see if there are more golfcentric lower body workouts I can incorporate. I really want to get going on a TPI program as well, I just want to get a few normal paychecks under my belt as being out for so long on disability was a drag on the funds
14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
WITB Link

#69 kenwiggins11

kenwiggins11

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

How many weeks did it take until you could putt and chip after surgery or even do something with a club golf related.  It sounds like you are doing really well. What are you working on technqiue wise since your swing is more freed up. Keep up the good work.

Ken :golfer:

#70 mshills

mshills

Consistently inconsistent.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139083
GolfWRX Likes : 266

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Fantastic story and great to see you back on the golf course.

Seems to me that the fact you have only muscle soreness and no pain in the joint itself has to be a good sign indeed.

Keep us posted, lot of faceless friends on here pulling for you.

Driver: Srixon Z-Star, Miyazaki Dromos
3w:  Srixon Z-Star, Miyazaki Dromos
2i, 3i:  OG Ping Eye 2
4i - SW:  Ping ISI, BeCu
LW:  OG Ping Eye 2 BeCu
Putter:  Rife 2-bar BELLY. F the USGA.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#71 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

View Postkenwiggins11, on 20 November 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

How many weeks did it take until you could putt and chip after surgery or even do something with a club golf related.  It sounds like you are doing really well. What are you working on technqiue wise since your swing is more freed up. Keep up the good work.

Ken :golfer:

I was carpet putting maybe 2 weeks after my second surgery hitting 10-20 carpet chips at a time shortly after that. I first went to the actual practice green a few weeks later but only made it about 30 minutes or so granted it was 110 degrees outside, just putting at first followed but short chips a bit later. Right now swing wise I just need more reps to dial in the feel and timing with the longer backswing. I am a total feel player so getting that timing back is key for me as well as adjusting to increasing distances as I get stronger and more reps in. Not trying to get cute right now with working the ball just playing the straight shot.  

View Postmshills, on 20 November 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

Fantastic story and great to see you back on the golf course.

Seems to me that the fact you have only muscle soreness and no pain in the joint itself has to be a good sign indeed.

Keep us posted, lot of faceless friends on here pulling for you.

Thank you very much
14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
WITB Link

#72 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

Took Thanksgiving weekend off as those 2 rounds in 3 days was pushing it a bit and I needed to rest my legs. I did go out for a short game session and about 75 balls on the range thought.

Played round 3 today got off to a very slow start and made the turn at 43, the back nine did not start that great with a double but I pulled it together and ended up with a 39 on the back for another 82. The good news here was my stamina was much improved and I was hitting driver much better on the back nine. I will prob go out and hit some more balls on Sunday. My timing is still all messed up because I am still trying to adapt to being able to clear the hips. I am hitting a good amount of pretty solid shots just got to focus on alignment and distance control and I think I will be back in the 70's soon.

I also saw the surgeon again yesterday, talked to him about the soreness in my knee and hamstring. He did let me know it is normal especially now that I am able to  be this active again. Everything else looked good to him and he let me know that it will be a full year from surgery before I can really expect to be at 100%. He was impressed that I am as far along as I am right now and just told me to keep working hard and listen to my body and rest when it tells me to. I think for now I will just keep it at 1 round a week plus a range session if I am feeling good.
14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
WITB Link

#73 kenwiggins11

kenwiggins11

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

View PostOne_Putt_Blunder, on 30 November 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

Took Thanksgiving weekend off as those 2 rounds in 3 days was pushing it a bit and I needed to rest my legs. I did go out for a short game session and about 75 balls on the range thought.

Played round 3 today got off to a very slow start and made the turn at 43, the back nine did not start that great with a double but I pulled it together and ended up with a 39 on the back for another 82. The good news here was my stamina was much improved and I was hitting driver much better on the back nine. I will prob go out and hit some more balls on Sunday. My timing is still all messed up because I am still trying to adapt to being able to clear the hips. I am hitting a good amount of pretty solid shots just got to focus on alignment and distance control and I think I will be back in the 70's soon.

I also saw the surgeon again yesterday, talked to him about the soreness in my knee and hamstring. He did let me know it is normal especially now that I am able to  be this active again. Everything else looked good to him and he let me know that it will be a full year from surgery before I can really expect to be at 100%. He was impressed that I am as far along as I am right now and just told me to keep working hard and listen to my body and rest when it tells me to. I think for now I will just keep it at 1 round a week plus a range session if I am feeling good.

Nice work! You will be no doubt back in the 70's soon. How did your knee and hamstring feel after yesterday's round? Do you feel you also get better extension and hip turn in your back swing. Keep up the good work!

#74 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hamstring and knee are still sore. Hip turn improvement is huge. I am back to parallel at the top and before I was only getting about a 75-80% backswing. Able to clear the hips on the downswing with not problems other than timing issues clearing my hips too quick right now leading to some big pulls
14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
WITB Link

#75 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

Tough week this week trying to fit in a 2-3 hour gym session 3x a week while working 10 hour days (9-7) and having responsibilities at home has caught up with me and I cannot find the consistent time to get to the gym. My strength and comfort levels are paying for it. Trying to come up with some solutions but that means all the red tape bs at work.

14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
WITB Link

#76 kvnhlstd

kvnhlstd

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16735
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

Dude,
Just thread this entire thread for the first time.... It was crazy reading all this and thinking back to the convos during the rounds we played and watching you swing away in pain.  I am smiling right now for you and am happy that you are back in the saddle.  We will hook up soon and tee it up.  Great thread matt, Great thread.
PING G20 9.5* GD ADI 6X
PING G5 3 wood Aldila NV X flex
PING I20 20* ProForce X Flex
4-PW S55 w/ ZZ65 Plus 1/4"
PING Tour Gorge wedges 50*/54*/58*
PING TR Anser2

#77 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

Thank you Kevin. definitely need to hit the course again sometime soon
14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
WITB Link

#78 kenwiggins11

kenwiggins11

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

View PostOne_Putt_Blunder, on 02 December 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

Hamstring and knee are still sore. Hip turn improvement is huge. I am back to parallel at the top and before I was only getting about a 75-80% backswing. Able to clear the hips on the downswing with not problems other than timing issues clearing my hips too quick right now leading to some big pulls

What's causing your hamstring and knee to be sore? Do they think its a bi product of over compensation  because hip is on the mend? Let me know if you need help with workout design etc. I'm two days away from surgery nervous as hell.

#79 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

It is just my body trying to rebuild strength and stability in the legs and overcompensation. As I mentioned in my last post I have struggled to get my full work out in and that is the biggest reason for the downturn. I just need to work out more and continue to build muscle to support the new hips. This is the downside to being rushed back to work when I was only really at 70%. I just need more time to focus on rehab to get strong enough to start modifying my workouts to the point I dont need a full 2+ hours in the gym. The workout plan I have works well I just need the time to do it without physically exhausting myself

With a full 12 month recovery time there are bound to be ups and downs during the "process" this is just one of those small set backs. I am more frustrated with the red tape at work like not being eligible for FMLA because all the time was used up while I was on disability. Which means my only option is to go back on disability or lose my job. Meanwhile people at work have FMLA to use for the stupidest things.... I now have a feeling as to what Alex Smith feels like lol

Edited by One_Putt_Blunder, 09 December 2012 - 08:21 PM.

14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
WITB Link

#80 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Update. Still on doc ordered rest now have an mri being scheduled for the right knee, something might have been tweaked in surgery or in rehab, it has been an ongoing prob since surgery and seems to be getting worse. Doc also wants to give me an injection for the upper thigh not sure of what, but he was a tad worried I was having pain there, but thought it was just muscle issues as xrays of the implants look great.

14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#81 kenwiggins11

kenwiggins11

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

View PostOne_Putt_Blunder, on 18 December 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

Update. Still on doc ordered rest now have an mri being scheduled for the right knee, something might have been tweaked in surgery or in rehab, it has been an ongoing prob since surgery and seems to be getting worse. Doc also wants to give me an injection for the upper thigh not sure of what, but he was a tad worried I was having pain there, but thought it was just muscle issues as xrays of the implants look great.

Update 3 weeks Post Op hip replacement working squats on unstable platform! Working stability and strength. Long ways to go! Big Thanks to one putt he has been a huge help! I'm a little sideways... Ha ha ha

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#82 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

oh yes the bosu ball that thing is a killer but very very effective and I actually kinda miss it right now... still waiting on mri and resting.

Glad to see you are progressing well looks like you were in quite a bit better shape than I was to start so that should help you move along nicely
14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
WITB Link

#83 Arizonalefty59

Arizonalefty59

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130198
GolfWRX Likes : 790

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

Do you notice a difference pain wise with the cold weather we've been having?

#84 kenwiggins11

kenwiggins11

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

View PostArizonalefty59, on 03 January 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

Not sure if this message for me or one putt. I noticed more soreness, stiffness, and instability of muscles and tissue around incision. My actual hip feels great compared to pain. I was in. Will be strange to play golf minus the pain and with increased range of motion.

#85 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

View PostArizonalefty59, on 03 January 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

could be a contributing factor to some of my soreness. I also have a harder time getting loose in the morning or after staying in one position ie sitting for a long period

14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
WITB Link

#86 Edgewood

Edgewood

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15440
  • Ebay ID:bjcgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

Man, I almost teared up reading this.  Your story really hit home for me.  I see where you havnet posted in a month.  i hope al is well.  I've been battling low back pain for 9 years.  When I read that you had been to 7 Drs and what some of them said to you about your age, i had to double check that this wasnt an old post of mine....  My back started hurting when I was 29 years old.  I had played lots of contact sports and was in the Marines at the time.  Long story short, I had back surgery in 07 and have been living on celebrex, aleve (when I'm out of celebrex), and hope.  Everyone since my surgery tells me something a little different.  I've heard my muscles are out of ballance, one leg is too short, do more core, my core is fine do more stretching, etc...

I'm going to see a spine Dr. in Chicago next month. (I live in St. Louis).  I just want someone to find the source of the problem, not tell me all of my symptoms, and try to treat those.

Like you, I'm young.  I've been told to avoid replacement (either hip or disc) because I'll need the surgery in another 20 years.  I'd gladly have surgery every 20 years than live another 6 months with this back and forth.  Keep posting and I'll keep following.

Kind Regards,
Brian
G20 10.5 Stock Stiff
G20 16.5 Stock Stiff
G25 20 & 23 Hyrbrids Stock Stiff
CB3 5-PW KBS tour 90 Stiff
CB3 G wedge, 58 Cleveland
3.1 index

#87 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Thanks Edgewood, and best of luck to you, I struggled with the decision of quality of life now vs later in life since I could have the surgeries up to 3 different times now, I am so glad I did i now and hope the technology improves in the next 15 years so my next set of hips can last even longer to limit the number of times I have to have it done.  

I had been on doc ordered rest for the last 50 days or so, me knee MRI came back clean so we figured I was pushing it too hard after surgery and my body just needed rest. I had some friends come into town for the WM Open and we played two rounds at Wekopa this week and I am very happy to report I have set a new personal best post surgery and broke 80 for the first time with a 78. My stamina still sucks and i am very week so the 2nd round was tough as I was swinging with all arms, Pulled it together on the back nine to salvage a mid 80's round.

I will be getting back to some light workouts to avoid overworking myself again, but that 78 gave me quite a bit of hope that my game will start to come back as I get stronger over time.

One of my friends snapped this pic of me on the tee and man did he time it right.

7c68bff25c4bda64e6b8fab0b37ee618.jpeg
14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
WITB Link

#88 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

So so round today short game was pretty awful for the most part and I got off to a horrible start triple par triple is usually not the way to start the day, held it together for a 82 with only 1 birdie so I was pretty consistent the rest of the way in. Pretty happy with my iron game accuracy. Starting to feel more and more confident I will get almost all of my game back including distance once I am back to 100% this summer.
14.5 X Hot 3 Deep
RAZR X Forged 4-PW
WITB Link

#89 kvnhlstd

kvnhlstd

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16735
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Nice job Bud... 6 over in two holes and 10 over total on a long hard course with crazy greens.
PING G20 9.5* GD ADI 6X
PING G5 3 wood Aldila NV X flex
PING I20 20* ProForce X Flex
4-PW S55 w/ ZZ65 Plus 1/4"
PING Tour Gorge wedges 50*/54*/58*
PING TR Anser2

#90 Guia

Guia

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
GolfWRX Likes : 544

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for the videos and insight.  I am 73 and the MD says I will need a left hip replacement very soon.
I have never had any type of operation but have had many serious fractures from a previous accident, and
lots of pain for the last 20 years.  Currently playing the mid tees and a 11 handicap.  

Your swing is looking pretty good for all the operations and lay off.  I hope to eventually recover to doas well.  Happy golfing.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors