Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

2014 Pinehurst Men & Womens Open

golf pinehurst us open 2014 housing rental

  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Don Ross

Don Ross

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94122
  • Joined: 09/09/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

In June of 2014 Pinehurst will play host to the Mens and Womens US Open in back to back weeks, both played on Pinehurst No. 2.  I believe the dates are June 9, 2014 through June 23, 2014, Men the first week followed by the Women.

This will be a historic event in golf history.  I would like this topic to serve as a clearing house of information regarding the event, who, where, how and such for the golf fan thinking about making a trip to this "Home of American Golf".   Rumor has it that hotels are already sold out and many private residents are offering their homes for rent.  Planning and logistics will be essential to make this event happen as 40,000 golf fans visit Pinehurst daily(population circa 13,000).  

See you in Pinehurst June 2014!


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 postfold

postfold

    me + putting = FAIL

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29687
  • Joined: 05/24/2007
  • Location:Michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

I'm currently trying to figure out a way to make this happen.  We really enjoy coming to the area every spring and it would be fantastic to catch both opens at #2.  You are 100% correct that advance planning is going to be a must!

If you know ... How is the widening project on NC211 coming along?

#3 Blakester

Blakester

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90360
  • Joined: 08/01/2009
  • Location:Raleigh, NC
  • Ebay ID:blakester37
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

I live in Raleigh and DEFINITELY plan on attending at least one day of each Open.  But I've got one thing that I've been mulling over, and I'm sure it's already been worked out...but...won't the 1st group through (in this case, the men) really do a number on the conditioning of the course - taking divots and all?  How will the course play for the ladies?  I know they can adjust tee boxes and the grounds crews these days are great, but still...?
TaylorMade SLDR 14*, Stock Shaft!
TaylorMade SLDR Mini 16*
Titleist 910F 19 & 21, Axiv Black
Titleist AP2 714, W-5, DG S300
Never Compromise Milled
Titleist Vokey SM4 57, 62

#4 act0fgod

act0fgod

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132508
  • Joined: 07/07/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

For those that may be interested in attending.  A unique way to see the event is to volunteer.  Here is the link to volunteer for the US Open.  You will be responsible for buying your uniforms but will have free passes to view the tournament when you are not working.

https://2014voluntee...a.org/2014vols/

#5 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
  • Joined: 01/16/2006
  • Location:Maryland
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

Dan...Good topic.  It will be here before we know it.  I attended in 99 and 2005.   I plan on attending the mens, probably won't be able to stay in town for both.

Last time I stayed in Cary and just made the drive down.  The shuttle parking lot was very conveneint.  While it would have been exciting to stay in the Village or even Southern Pines during the week, hotels were very scarce and I am in the industry and have contacts there.  Normally I am able to camp out at the Homewood Suites in Olmstead on my trips down...but not those weeks.   In 2005, I think NBC took over that entire hotel, and probably will again this time.

It will be a historic event (both opens same venue back to back) as Bart Scott would say.  CANT WAIT

OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#6 TNSooner

TNSooner

    Sooner Born & Sooner Bred

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7131
  • Joined: 10/26/2005
  • Location:Music City, USA
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

Played #2 on Monday...the new "old" golf course is SOOOOOO much more appealing than several years ago when it was wall to wall grass...visual layout is MUCH different.  I didn't realize it but there are only 22-ish "bunkers" on the golf course...everything else is considered to be a waste area.  The bunkers are/will be defined as being "sandy depressions completely surrounded by grass".  They are also going to make number 4 a 500+ par 4 and have added another tee on number 5 that is 100-150 yards behind the current tee and play it as a 600+ par 5 for the Open.  Great decision in my opinion...that is a wonderful green for a par 5.  There will be 4 or more 500+ par 4s (2,4,8,11,16) and 5 and 10 will probably be the only par 5s (and will play over 600 - both at around 620ish) and it will be fun to see these guys trying to stop shots into the green complexes with 5 irons thru hybrids...gonna be a real test.  According to the folks that I talked to, they are going to aerate the greens in the next couple of weeks and then may just leave them alone (other than lightly sand and brush them) until tournament time.  Point is to make them as hard and fast as possible...they were already rolling about 11 on Monday and it had rained all night long the previous night (Sunday night).

This was my third time to play No. 2 (every time from the Blue Tees) and am planning to make this an annual trip with my family (we all went this time for the kids Fall Break) and have shot even par every time I've played it.  I can't wait to see the pros get their chance and hear their opinion on the new "old" reconditioning...

The Open(s) are the talk of the Village...everyone there is so excited about hosting them back-to-back...I can't blame them.

#7 Don Ross

Don Ross

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94122
  • Joined: 09/09/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

View Postpostfold, on 03 October 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

I'm currently trying to figure out a way to make this happen.  We really enjoy coming to the area every spring and it would be fantastic to catch both opens at #2.  You are 100% correct that advance planning is going to be a must!

If you know ... How is the widening project on NC211 coming along?
They are making good progress.  It is repoted to be finished May of 2014.   Just in time for the open.   Do you have a group looking to make the trip or just you?  Tickets should not be a problem, but housing is the issue.   It will be a great party for 14 days, kinda like a golf Mardi Gras.

#8 Don Ross

Don Ross

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94122
  • Joined: 09/09/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostBlakester, on 03 October 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

I live in Raleigh and DEFINITELY plan on attending at least one day of each Open.  But I've got one thing that I've been mulling over, and I'm sure it's already been worked out...but...won't the 1st group through (in this case, the men) really do a number on the conditioning of the course - taking divots and all?  How will the course play for the ladies?  I know they can adjust tee boxes and the grounds crews these days are great, but still...?
Exellent question.   Obviously adjust the tee boxes, the greens?   The major thing I have heard is that the womens ability to practice will be limited.  It is not posssible to show up early and play the course due to the Men getting priority.

The nightmare senario is weather delays for the Men, a play off?   The good news is that the USGA knows what it is doing.   Honestly the Womens event will be so much better being tied to the Mens event regardless of course conditions.

#9 Don Ross

Don Ross

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94122
  • Joined: 09/09/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

View Postact0fgod, on 03 October 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

For those that may be interested in attending.  A unique way to see the event is to volunteer.  Here is the link to volunteer for the US Open.  You will be responsible for buying your uniforms but will have free passes to view the tournament when you are not working.

https://2014voluntee...a.org/2014vols/
Excellent suggestion.   Volunteers are needed.   Housing will be the challenge unless your are driiving every day.

#10 Don Ross

Don Ross

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94122
  • Joined: 09/09/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 03 October 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

Dan...Good topic.  It will be here before we know it.  I attended in 99 and 2005.   I plan on attending the mens, probably won't be able to stay in town for both.

Last time I stayed in Cary and just made the drive down.  The shuttle parking lot was very conveneint.  While it would have been exciting to stay in the Village or even Southern Pines during the week, hotels were very scarce and I am in the industry and have contacts there.  Normally I am able to camp out at the Homewood Suites in Olmstead on my trips down...but not those weeks.   In 2005, I think NBC took over that entire hotel, and probably will again this time.

It will be a historic event (both opens same venue back to back) as Bart Scott would say.  CANT WAIT
The satellite parking sysytem in the area works extremely well.   Unless you have a local rental, there will be large parking areas in the north, south, east and west of the event which will provide busses into the Pinehurst Harness track and into the Open.   The commuter system works extremely well, traffic in Pinehurst is very light, but there is virtually no public parking near the event.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Don Ross

Don Ross

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94122
  • Joined: 09/09/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

View PostTNSooner, on 03 October 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

Played #2 on Monday...the new "old" golf course is SOOOOOO much more appealing than several years ago when it was wall to wall grass...visual layout is MUCH different.  I didn't realize it but there are only 22-ish "bunkers" on the golf course...everything else is considered to be a waste area.  The bunkers are/will be defined as being "sandy depressions completely surrounded by grass".  They are also going to make number 4 a 500+ par 4 and have added another tee on number 5 that is 100-150 yards behind the current tee and play it as a 600+ par 5 for the Open.  Great decision in my opinion...that is a wonderful green for a par 5.  There will be 4 or more 500+ par 4s (2,4,8,11,16) and 5 and 10 will probably be the only par 5s (and will play over 600 - both at around 620ish) and it will be fun to see these guys trying to stop shots into the green complexes with 5 irons thru hybrids...gonna be a real test.  According to the folks that I talked to, they are going to aerate the greens in the next couple of weeks and then may just leave them alone (other than lightly sand and brush them) until tournament time.  Point is to make them as hard and fast as possible...they were already rolling about 11 on Monday and it had rained all night long the previous night (Sunday night).

This was my third time to play No. 2 (every time from the Blue Tees) and am planning to make this an annual trip with my family (we all went this time for the kids Fall Break) and have shot even par every time I've played it.  I can't wait to see the pros get their chance and hear their opinion on the new "old" reconditioning...

The Open(s) are the talk of the Village...everyone there is so excited about hosting them back-to-back...I can't blame them.
If you are shooting par on No. 2 you should think about qualifying for the Open.  Even par might just win the tourament!    Very impressive score.

#12 Don Ross

Don Ross

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94122
  • Joined: 09/09/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

I recently attended an update meeting for Pinehurst Country Club members regarding the 2014 US Opens.  The Members Club will be closing after Thanksgiving for a major renovation.  The areas overlooking the first tee and 18th green of No. 2 will be redone to include the classic archways which face the putting green.  This area will become a eating/drinking area with one of the greatest golf vistas in the world.  It was mentioned that the renovation of No. 2 had boosted the course's ranking from #7 to #3 (not sure which ranking service).  Or stated another way " the #1 course, not on the ocean".  No.2 will be closed to play for a short time as 300,000 additional sprigs of wiregrass are added to the waste areas.

The USGA was very enthusiastic regarding the event, reminding the group that Pinehurst 2005 Open set the record for corporate sales and holds every attendance record except one friday at Torrey Pines. Additionally the Womens Open at Pine Needles was the #3 in corporate sales and also set attendance records. The USGA mentioned that upwards of 400,000 visitors are expected for the event.  It is interesting to note that the USGA has a common theme throughout thier presentation;  the Mens and Womens Open is one event which lasts 14 days, not two separate events.  Volunteer packages and tickets are a combination of the two tournaments.   Volunteers are still needed and signup info is available on the web.  

The layout of the facilities will mirror the 2005 Open, with few changes.   Final plans will be announced spring of 2013.

#13 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
  • Joined: 01/16/2006
  • Location:Maryland
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

Thanks Don for the update.   Does that mean the veranda seating right outside the proshops that overlook the 18th green will be gone.  I hate to see that go.  On a few of my trips down, I've sat there for hours just watching groups come through on 18 and talking to a whoever else happend by to sit for a beer or two.  You meet a great crossroads of America there, I've met guys from the Bronx, guys from Ga, a very nice older couple from Florida.  And we all had the same thing in common, just wanted to enjoy soaking inthe atmopshere of the place.
OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#14 Don Ross

Don Ross

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94122
  • Joined: 09/09/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 26 October 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

Thanks Don for the update.   Does that mean the veranda seating right outside the proshops that overlook the 18th green will be gone.  I hate to see that go.  On a few of my trips down, I've sat there for hours just watching groups come through on 18 and talking to a whoever else happend by to sit for a beer or two.  You meet a great crossroads of America there, I've met guys from the Bronx, guys from Ga, a very nice older couple from Florida.  And we all had the same thing in common, just wanted to enjoy soaking inthe atmopshere of the place.
It will be gone during renovation; scheduled to be completed by June 2013,.  I think one of the primary purposes of the renovation is to improve and enhance the seating/dining/drinking areas on the veranda looking out on the course.  The awnings will be removed and a roof of some sort will be installed, but it will still be outdoors.

#15 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
  • Joined: 01/16/2006
  • Location:Maryland
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

View PostDon Ross, on 26 October 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 26 October 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

Thanks Don for the update.   Does that mean the veranda seating right outside the proshops that overlook the 18th green will be gone.  I hate to see that go.  On a few of my trips down, I've sat there for hours just watching groups come through on 18 and talking to a whoever else happend by to sit for a beer or two.  You meet a great crossroads of America there, I've met guys from the Bronx, guys from Ga, a very nice older couple from Florida.  And we all had the same thing in common, just wanted to enjoy soaking inthe atmopshere of the place.
It will be gone during renovation; scheduled to be completed by June 2013,.  I think one of the primary purposes of the renovation is to improve and enhance the seating/dining/drinking areas on the veranda looking out on the course.  The awnings will be removed and a roof of some sort will be installed, but it will still be outdoors.
Ok...thanks.  I'm really glad to hear that.  Call me simple, but that's one of my favorite spots in the US.   I'm glad to know it will still be there and maybe even improved.  I do know sometimes the view is a bit obstructed by the bushes in front of the rocking chairs, but still a special place.

OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#16 Don Ross

Don Ross

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94122
  • Joined: 09/09/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

I found this map of the course layout from the 2005 US Open in Pinehurst.   The USGA reports that there will be few if any changes made to the setup.  The final layout will likely be made public in spring 2013 .  I hope this is useful to anyone planning on making the trip in 2014. Attached File  us open layout.png   222.31K   44 downloads

#17 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
  • Joined: 01/16/2006
  • Location:Maryland
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

Thanks Don...The one thing that struck me about 2005 that caught me off guard was, how long it took to get out to No. 10 if you wanted to follow a group that started on 10.  They took the players out by shuttle, but it was a good 20 minute walk at best.  You had to plan for it.

I should have known better having played the course so many times, but for those who dont' know.  it's not a out and back in coruse.   You don't get back to the clubhouse until 18.
OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#18 peanutandjelly

peanutandjelly

    pinging away

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127164
  • Joined: 04/21/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 161

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 19 November 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

Thanks Don...The one thing that struck me about 2005 that caught me off guard was, how long it took to get out to No. 10 if you wanted to follow a group that started on 10.  They took the players out by shuttle, but it was a good 20 minute walk at best.  You had to plan for it.

I should have known better having played the course so many times, but for those who dont' know.  it's not a out and back in coruse.   You don't get back to the clubhouse until 18.
SOUNDS just like trump national in L.A.  There is NO cutting across or shortcuts...you have to walk all the way out and all the way back. and the only restroom is at 9.
G25 10.5,15,16.5,17
Diablo Edge 3-pw
Oddeysey White Ice #6
Every kind of wedge there is

#19 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
  • Joined: 01/16/2006
  • Location:Maryland
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

No2 is not that bad. It is very walk able and I think it's hole 13 that comes back close to the main clubhouse area.  

The USGA does a great job with the logistics and setup.
OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#20 Don Ross

Don Ross

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94122
  • Joined: 09/09/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

I found this great update with pictures showing some of the changes being made to the Members Clubhouse.  http://pinehurstreso...bers-clubhouse/

Enjoy.


View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 26 October 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

View PostDon Ross, on 26 October 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 26 October 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

Thanks Don for the update.   Does that mean the veranda seating right outside the proshops that overlook the 18th green will be gone.  I hate to see that go.  On a few of my trips down, I've sat there for hours just watching groups come through on 18 and talking to a whoever else happend by to sit for a beer or two.  You meet a great crossroads of America there, I've met guys from the Bronx, guys from Ga, a very nice older couple from Florida.  And we all had the same thing in common, just wanted to enjoy soaking inthe atmopshere of the place.
It will be gone during renovation; scheduled to be completed by June 2013,.  I think one of the primary purposes of the renovation is to improve and enhance the seating/dining/drinking areas on the veranda looking out on the course.  The awnings will be removed and a roof of some sort will be installed, but it will still be outdoors.
Ok...thanks.  I'm really glad to hear that.  Call me simple, but that's one of my favorite spots in the US.   I'm glad to know it will still be there and maybe even improved.  I do know sometimes the view is a bit obstructed by the bushes in front of the rocking chairs, but still a special place.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Don Ross

Don Ross

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94122
  • Joined: 09/09/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

In reponse to numerous questions regarding the setup of Pinehurst No. 2, I found this article from the local paper which speaks to several areas of concern.   From The Pilot:



It’s June 2014, and the golfer sends a drive screaming down the fairway of the Pinehurst No. 2 Course in the first round of the U.S. Open.
Recognize the player? You should. Look in a mirror.
OK, just toying with a little fantasy stuff here. It really isn’t 2014, and it really isn’t the U.S. Open. But it really could be you hitting a ball on the same course the best golfers in the world will be teeing it up on in the Open.
It’s nothing new for golfers to be able to play U.S. Open courses, of course. That’s why the United State Golf Association bills the event as Everyman’s Championship. Anyone who qualifies can play.
But to be able to play a course a year-and-a-half in advance of the Open and know that you’re playing it under virtually the same conditions that the championship will be played … well, that’s unheard of.
Bob Farren, the director of golf course maintenance and grounds at Pinehurst Resort, is rightfully proud of the restoration project conducted by course architects Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw. And that the project produced a course that the USGA agrees is “Open ready” a year-and-a-half in advance of the event could almost be viewed as heresy.
The norm for U.S. Open courses is anything but the norm normally. But No. 2, the jewel that the legendary Donald Ross mined out of sand and scrub pines, is one of a kind in the world. And therein lies the explanation of how a golfer can play it today and find it almost exactly the way Open players will experience it in 2014.
“We started the project in 2010,” Farren said. “Unlike a typical course renovation, this is a process. We had to be patient and let the course evolve more than mature.
“Bill (Coore) is really thrilled at how the course is looking. It’s exactly the way he wanted it to look. We didn’t overseed the course, and it provides a much firmer playing surface. The ball runs out more than before on the fairways.
“The greens have matured nicely, and for the first time we have all the pieces in place. The course is firmer and faster. Mr. Padgett (Pinehurst President Don Padgett II) said he has never seen the course better from a championship perspective.”
Although the USGA made suggestions, officials did not dictate the renovations.
“There were USGA suggestions that we are following up on,” Farren said. “They are doing walk-throughs on some of the holes, making adjustments to the fairway width.
“We have the U.S. Open setup in place now. It’s the same process as previous championships (1999, 2005), except that it’s completely backward.
“This time, instead of adding rough and taking away fairways, we are adjusting the width of the landing zones. The fairways are significantly wider than in 2005, probably wider than any U.S. Open course in recent years.”
Pinehurst officials point out that when golfers play the course it will truly be an Open experience.
“It’s really an interesting story,” Farren said. “The average player — 0-12 handicap — will have the opportunity to play the course before the Open, and the only changes that will have taken place will be behind the white tees. This time the changes affect everyone who plays the course.
“That’s what Coore and Crenshaw mostly focused on. They wanted the changes to impact everyone who played the course, not just the professionals. If you’re playing the course this week, you’re going to see everything the U.S. Open player sees except for an additional 40-50 yards on each hole.
“If people play from the proper tees, they are really going to get the Open experience. The new bunkers and landscape affect all players. Any chance I get, I try to talk that up.”
One noticeable change comes on holes four and five. The pars have been flipped on these holes, with four now playing as a par-4 and five playing as a par-5. New tees have been added on both those holes. The tee on No. 5 has been moved back to where the old World Golf Hall of Fame building was located and will play 585 yards. The course can now play as long as 7,450 yards.
There were some concerns voiced earlier that the Women’s Open players might find some unfavorable course conditions, such as divot marks left by the men in their landing areas. But Farren doesn’t see that as a problem.
“This was taken into consideration by the placement of the ladies tees,” Farren said. “If the men are hitting 7-irons for their approach shots, we want the women to be hitting 7-irons. That puts them in a completely different spot as far as divots are concerned.”
Farren likes the idea that golfers can have the “Open Experience.” But he does have a word of caution.
“It’s a pretty neat thing,” he said, smiling. “But some people may think they want to play an Open course when they really don’t. Be careful what you ask for.”

#22 NatsFan2013

NatsFan2013

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263290
  • Joined: 07/11/2013
  • Location:Virginia
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:53 PM

Does anyone else think that this idea is a disaster waiting to happen? I can't be the only one to believe that.

The men's tournament is going to destroy the course as it usually does. I am not saying that in a negative way just simply that the beating that the US Open courses take over the course of a week like that is intense. I have played an Open course shortly after the conclusion of the tournament and lets just say that they are nearly unplayable for several reasons.

Why not have the Women play first. They will have less spectators and don't require the intense conditions that we have become accustom to in the Men's event. I just think that it is going to get ugly for the Women and I feel bad for them. Good idea conceptually but execution is going to be extremely difficult.





Also tagged with golf, pinehurst, us open, 2014, housing, rental

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors