Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Against the net....

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 seaweed88

seaweed88

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74777
  • Ebay ID:seaweed88
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

My son is playing golf for a small college in northern Indiana. There fall season ends tomorrow and soon all he will be able to do is hit into a net in one of the handball courts.
What can I buy for him to use so he can get feedback on what he is doing? I can not afford a trackman but I would like him to be able to check swing plane, face angle and path. I am afraid if I don't do something he will spend the winter hitting balls into a net with no feedback....
Thank you for any suggestions.
Mark

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161101
GolfWRX Likes : 620

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

Spend the winter working on putting , chipping, strength, balance, and flexibility. He can go to the range when the weather is bearable and swing away.

Edited by KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE, 01 October 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#3 seaweed88

seaweed88

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

I think he can work on his chipping inside putting will be a little harder. He is working out now and plans to work thru the winter. I think his coach has told them they are required to hit into the net so many hours a week.

#4 Titleistman1010

Titleistman1010

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 708 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139939
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

You could always get the opti-shot. I think they are $400.

#5 seaweed88

seaweed88

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

Would the Opti-shot be a good choice? What else would I have to buy if this is the way I go? From there web site this is the way I was thinking of going.
Thanks for the reply's !!
Mark

#6 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161101
GolfWRX Likes : 620

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

He can also travel and play in weekend tournaments down south, and west. Declare his Am. status and compete. No better way to stay sharp and maintain that edge.

#7 chet schwalm

chet schwalm

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138866
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

What college? I live in North-Central Indiana. Although I haven't been there in a couple of years Swan Lake GC in Plymouth,IN has a nice indoor practice facility, including trackman, putt lab etc. Very surprising for a small town. It is about 20 minutes south of South Bend.

The most northern course in Indiana I have golfed in the winter is the Round Barn GC in Rochester, about 45 miles south of South Bend. They have covered carts and cart path goes around the entire course. It is a good layout, inexpensive, and beats a net any day of the week.

#8 seaweed88

seaweed88

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

He is a freshman at Goshen College in Goshen Indiana. There fall season ended this week and now they get ready for the spring season.

#9 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 6,091 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1785

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

Swan Lake is nice...I live In Crown Point and I've  been there a couple times nice facility.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

#10 chet schwalm

chet schwalm

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138866
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

Goshen is about 40 miles from Swan Lake. 50 miles to Rochester. Have him call the Round Barn before going, but typically if there is no snow... They'll be open.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Titleistman1010

Titleistman1010

Tour Winner

• 708 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139939
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

View Postseaweed88, on 02 October 2012 - 06:04 PM, said:

Would the Opti-shot be a good choice? What else would I have to buy if this is the way I go? From there web site this is the way I was thinking of going.
Thanks for the reply's !!
Mark
All you would need is a golf mat and a TV/Computer. It shows the flight pattern ect.
Do some research on it. He can even play courses.

#12 dkothari

dkothari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205655
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

You can try SwingTip - I think there is a review for it on the front page of this website.

Here is a write-up on Golf Digest - I'm not sure how well it works, but if it works as advertised, would be a great companion to hitting balls in the net.

http://www.golfdiges...strege-the.html

#13 John Kreese

John Kreese

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125579
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

Mark- have you considered getting a camera that takes high-speed video?  If you buy one of the old Casios there might be enough light and room in the handball court to get some decent quality video.

#14 seaweed88

seaweed88

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for all the reply's! I have thought of buying a high speed camera for the past couple years. If I had an unlimited budget I would buy a camera and a machine like the opti-shot. This would give him all the feedback he would get if I could get him to his lessons. I would put the camera behind him for a down the line view and the opti-shot for the fun information. This would also require me to purchase two TVs and a computer to run the opti-shot. I do not have the budget for that right now.
In the past his lessons have been run with this kind of setup. He knows how to use this information to get his swing grooved which is my hope for this off season.
I guess I will have to do what I can when I can and be happy with that.
Thanks again for all the help
Mark

#15 John Kreese

John Kreese

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

View Postseaweed88, on 04 October 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

Thanks for all the reply's! I have thought of buying a high speed camera for the past couple years. If I had an unlimited budget I would buy a camera and a machine like the opti-shot. This would give him all the feedback he would get if I could get him to his lessons. I would put the camera behind him for a down the line view and the opti-shot for the fun information. This would also require me to purchase two TVs and a computer to run the opti-shot. I do not have the budget for that right now.
In the past his lessons have been run with this kind of setup. He knows how to use this information to get his swing grooved which is my hope for this off season.
I guess I will have to do what I can when I can and be happy with that.
Thanks again for all the help
Mark

IMOP the camera is a way more valuable piece of equipment.

#16 seaweed88

seaweed88

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

Which camera do you like?

#17 malcolm

malcolm

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196000
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

I have a swingtip and I like it and the optishot only needs a tv, a room tall enough to swing in and a net if you want to hit real ball if not you can just hit a foam ball

#18 John Kreese

John Kreese

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

View Postseaweed88, on 06 October 2012 - 06:52 AM, said:

Which camera do you like?

I have a Casio EX-FS10, which is great to stick in your bag and use outside.  Unfortunately that model does not offer manual control of shutter speed, which you need for lower light conditions.  Recently ordered a Casio EX-FH20 that I plan to use inside.  You can manually control the shutter speed with the FH20; however, you still need a lot of light to get decent high speed footage indoors.  A handball court very well might be a bright enough space to do just that.  From what I hear the Casio FH25 and F1 are other great options, but they'll put a bigger dent in your wallet.

#19 seaweed88

seaweed88

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

As far as the camera ... He has an IPhone with V1 on it. Will that give the same feedback?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors