Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

College golf club try outs...

fail

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 horty1388

horty1388

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126433
GolfWRX Likes : 239

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:44 AM

So I had tryouts today and was pretty frustrated with the outcome. Played at skylinks,  par 72, slope 127, about 6500 from the blues. I knew a couple guys from playing with them last year in the club. There handicaps are around 2-4 and they've been playing their whole life. I figured I'd be playing with them since we knew each other but they stuck me in the second group because they figured I'd hack it up. They played with two other members that also played high school golf and had low handicaps. The last time I played with them and I was shooting in the low teens, but I had only been golfing for a year at the time. I've been practicing all summer and got my handicap down to between 8 and 10 (my phone says 8 but I think it's a little higher) after a little over a year and a half of playing.

Anyways, they teed off first and I was really nervous going into to the round because I've never played in any type of competition for golf. The first hole says 326 on the marker but was around 300 according to the gps. It has a lake guarding the front with a tiny fairway on the right. I was trying to drive the greenside bunkers on the right but ended up carrying the green and rolling onto the fringe. I put my putt about 3 feet away from the pin for birdie and ended up getting par after a terrible second putt. Second hole is a par five and I almost get on in two but the green is about 80 feet long with the pin in the back. I duff my chip and end up about halfway up the green, hit my first putt about 3 feet passed the pin and again miss an easy putt and get bogey... I ended up shooting 41 on the front which wasn't too bad but I gave up a lot of easy strokes.

Come to the back nine and the first hole is around 330 with trees guarding the front but is easily drivable. We had a tail wind and I ended up over driving the green, put a decent chip on but 3 putted again for bogey. Come to the 14th hole which is a dogleg left but is easily drivable if you cut it over the trees. I ended up losing my ball (hole is near the driving range so there were balls everywhere and couldn't figure out which one was mine) but save bogey on the hole. Coming into the 17th hole I was 7 over and ended up with a double after slicing my drive, chunking a chip, and missing a five footer. Get to the 18th hole and slice my drive but still have a decent shot to get on. I was about 180 out and had to cut it around a tree but ended up pulling it and almost putting it in the lake guarding the green. I still had a decent chance at par but I go on to chunk my chip, putt it off the fringe and save a bogey with a five footer...

We go compare scores with the other group and they ended up shooting 76, 79, 80, 81... I shot 82 after blowing up on the last two holes. I'm perfectly happy shooting 10 over but it was really frustrating knowing I could have easily beat 2 or 3 of them if I didn't make so many little mistakes.

Sorry for the long rant but I figured WRXer's would be the only ones to understand. Any advice on keeping the nerves down, such a frustrating day...

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 lilmike24

lilmike24

LEAVE your MARK !

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193038
  • Ebay ID:lilmike24
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:02 AM

Don't think about your score, or what you are. Just stay aggressive keep on trying to make those birdies !
Nike Vr Tour 9.5* W/ Diamana BB
Nike Covert Performance 15* W/ Stock
Adams Idea Pro 20* Hybrid
Titleist 690 CB W/ DG s300
Nike VR Pro wedges 52-58 W/ DG s400
Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C

#3 Nej1140

Nej1140

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131057
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

Out of curiosity what division is this?

#4 farmer

farmer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

Read your post.  You dumped your score on and around the greens.  There's your focus area for lessons and practice.

#5 horty1388

horty1388

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126433
GolfWRX Likes : 239

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

View PostNej1140, on 04 October 2012 - 11:10 PM, said:

Out of curiosity what division is this?
D1 I go to USC, a lot of the guys on the team are people that were really good in high school but not good enough to make the golf team.

View Postfarmer, on 05 October 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

Read your post.  You dumped your score on and around the greens.  There's your focus area for lessons and practice.

Yeah, I agree. I only had 31 putts but i gave up some easy strokes.

#6 Nej1140

Nej1140

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131057
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:32 AM

Ohhh, any idea what the scores were that made the team?

Edited by Nej1140, 07 October 2012 - 01:33 AM.

#7 BrianL99

BrianL99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Handicap:6.7
GolfWRX Likes : 674

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:02 AM

View Posthorty1388, on 01 October 2012 - 12:44 AM, said:

Anyways, they teed off first and I was really nervous going into to the round because I've never played in any type of competition for golf. The first hole says 326 on the marker but was around 300 according to the gps. It has a lake guarding the front with a tiny fairway on the right. I was trying to drive the greenside bunkers on the right but ended up carrying the green and rolling onto the fringe ...

Come to the back nine and the first hole is around 330 with trees guarding the front but is easily drivable. ..

Come to the 14th hole which is a dogleg left but is easily drivable if you cut it over the trees. I ended up losing my ball ...

.. I was about 180 out and had to cut it around a tree but ended up pulling it and almost putting it in the lake guarding the green.

Sorry for the long rant but I figured WRXer's would be the only ones to understand. Any advice on keeping the nerves down, such a frustrating day...

Just my opinion, but I think you need a course management lesson.  

You said it was your first competition?  There's a huge gulf between playing $2 match play with your friends and shooting a number.

Also tagged with fail

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors