Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

MacGregor Restoration

30 replies to this topic

#1 lefty76

lefty76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 145515
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

I have been reading topics off and on in this forum.  There are quite a few of you who are very knowledgeable about classic clubs so I think there isn't a better place to ask about a set of classic MacGregors.

I have a set of 985's that I want to restore for play.  Some of the clubs have rust on the heads. The shafts are pitted and have green grip-rite grips which have seen better days.

I want to have them re-chromed, re-shafted, re-gripped, have new ferrules put on to restore them as best I can to their original state.  They are beautiful clubs and to me are well worth the cost.

My question is: Does anyone know an engraver who would be able to engrave the ferrules with their original serial number?  Has anyone here ever had this done and could recommend someone they know does good work?  This may seem like a bit much but since I plan on having everything else done why not the ferrules also?  I had the ferrules made by a company called cell parts.  They are located in Illinois and have been in business for years.  They used to make ferrules for MacGregor years ago.  The ferrules they made for me look great.  They did a great job in duplicating the originals.

I have found a few people who do club refinishing and wanted to ask if anyone in this forum know their work.  The ironfactory located in Colorado and another I found was Dave Oughton out of Sacramento, California.  Any help, feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Ironmaster Oddities

Ironmaster Oddities

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116695
  • Ebay ID:elkhartmarbles
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

Be careful when you rechrome the irons. You want to avoid a shiny, mirror finish. They look "wrong"  try for a matte or patina. They should also be able to get the correct paint fill colors for you on the stampings. Lot of variation by MacGregor in that area.

One issue with rechroming is that it will almost certainly change the swing weight, which becomes a problem if you want to play them. Are you going to reshaft them as well? If so, first give them a go is they are...maybe new grips?  The entire process can become a very slippery slope.
Good luck on your project. We will all want to see the finished project.

#3 lefty76

lefty76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostIronmaster Oddities, on 28 September 2012 - 09:50 PM, said:

Be careful when you rechrome the irons. You want to avoid a shiny, mirror finish. They look "wrong"  try for a matte or patina. They should also be able to get the correct paint fill colors for you on the stampings. Lot of variation by MacGregor in that area.

One issue with rechroming is that it will almost certainly change the swing weight, which becomes a problem if you want to play them. Are you going to reshaft them as well? If so, first give them a go is they are...maybe new grips?  The entire process can become a very slippery slope.
Good luck on your project. We will all want to see the finished project.
Thank you for the help Ironmaster.  I do plan on re-shafting them.  My thinking is that if I am having the heads re-chromed it seems like it wouldn't look right to have a re-chromed head and a pitted shaft.  I do plan on re-gripping them also.  The grips that are on now are not original and are in bad shape.  I will try to find pictures of an original set of 985's with original grips and try to find a grip as close as possible to the originals.

I'll follow your advice on the patina or matte finish on the rechroming it makes sense to me.  I have weighed each club on a swingweight scale and the irons are D-3 and D-4.  The D-4 weights are for the 2 to the 4 iron.  The 5 thru 9 fall around a D-3.  I believe it may be because the previous owner hit the mid and short irons more than the long irons, taking more chrome off the club and making it lighter.

The dual wedge is another story.  The swingweight scale went up to F-5.  I put the wedge on the scale, slid the marker all the way to the right and the swingweight didn't even register.  It is the heaviest wedge I have ever held.

When I decide on the person to have refinish the clubs I will also have them put in new pins in the hosel of the clubhead and put on the new ferrules.  Cell parts, the company I had make the ferrules for me also makes pins for the hosel of clubheads so I will source the pins from them.  I will just leave it up to the club refinisher to order the right pins from them in cae he doesn't have them.

Yes, the clubweight seems like it will be of concern.  I will first choose the grips I want to use and find their weight.  When he re-chromes and re-shafts the irons we will see what the swingweight comes out to be and add the weight of the grip to it.  Then adjust accordingly to match the original swingweights of the clubs.  Anyways, this is what I have in mind but I am always open for suggestions, feedback, comments.  Thank you again Ironmaster.  Will keep you posted on how things are going with the restoration.

#4 Coralray

Coralray

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 203449
  • Ebay ID:Coralray

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:50 PM

The original 1947-51 985s may be the most quintesential iron set of all time.  An update of the 3852ms from the early 40s, their design harkens back to the hickory era with the huge looking 7-iron being a ringer for a Tom Stewart Spade Mashie and the 8-iron a beautiful mashie niblick and the 9-iron a fine example of a steel shafted niblick. Hickories were sold individually, these 8 clubs were a set.  With the advances in chrome plating, the 985s no longer needed to rely on the 3852's green pyratone for corrosion resistance on the new steel shafts, which became popular because they were cheaper to make and to buy compared to hickory and offered uniformity, enabling the concept of a "set" of irons. My advice would be to find a set of MacGregor Tourney Silver Scot 985s on eBay, it may take a few months, no longer than the work you are planning, and play MacGregor 985s as they were originally designed and manufactured. I have dozens of sets of MacGregor irons from the early 40's through the mid-60's and have spent a year exploring their variations and will report that they play the best as they are, do not alter them. Original 985s were made for the very best golfers who were also young and strong, and can be difficult to hit unless you fit that model. 905s had a weaker but still quite stiff dynamic step pattern that is more easily managed with the same heads. 905s will likely have a lighter swing weight, which also makes them easier for mere mortals to hit well. Another choice would be 915s, which have the same shaft as the 905s with the same forging and grind but with stainless steel heads. 915s were not plated amd to this day look fantastic and have great feel and sound compared to the mild steel 985s and 905s which had the Neutralizer hickory dowel
in the shaft/head joint. The MacGregors from this era were superbly designed and manufactured and were beloved for their playability by the very best golfers of the day. Buy with leather grips and clean the grips and clubs thoroughly with hot water, soap and a scouring pad, rinse, dry and apply Lexol or Neats Foot Oil til soft and tacky. Like the plating on some shafts and heads, some leather grips are worn out. If you must re-grip be very mindful of swing weight: measure each club before removing the grip and return it to that weight by using a tape,/grip combo that gets 'me back to their original weights. Very important!  Go for a plain cord.

#5 lefty76

lefty76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:56 PM

View PostCoralray, on 29 September 2012 - 10:50 PM, said:

The original 1947-51 985s may be the most quintesential iron set of all time.  An update of the 3852ms from the early 40s, their design harkens back to the hickory era with the huge looking 7-iron being a ringer for a Tom Stewart Spade Mashie and the 8-iron a beautiful mashie niblick and the 9-iron a fine example of a steel shafted niblick. Hickories were sold individually, these 8 clubs were a set.  With the advances in chrome plating, the 985s no longer needed to rely on the 3852's green pyratone for corrosion resistance on the new steel shafts, which became popular because they were cheaper to make and to buy compared to hickory and offered uniformity, enabling the concept of a "set" of irons. My advice would be to find a set of MacGregor Tourney Silver Scot 985s on eBay, it may take a few months, no longer than the work you are planning, and play MacGregor 985s as they were originally designed and manufactured. I have dozens of sets of MacGregor irons from the early 40's through the mid-60's and have spent a year exploring their variations and will report that they play the best as they are, do not alter them. Original 985s were made for the very best golfers who were also young and strong, and can be difficult to hit unless you fit that model. 905s had a weaker but still quite stiff dynamic step pattern that is more easily managed with the same heads. 905s will likely have a lighter swing weight, which also makes them easier for mere mortals to hit well. Another choice would be 915s, which have the same shaft as the 905s with the same forging and grind but with stainless steel heads. 915s were not plated amd to this day look fantastic and have great feel and sound compared to the mild steel 985s and 905s which had the Neutralizer hickory dowel
in the shaft/head joint. The MacGregors from this era were superbly designed and manufactured and were beloved for their playability by the very best golfers of the day. Buy with leather grips and clean the grips and clubs thoroughly with hot water, soap and a scouring pad, rinse, dry and apply Lexol or Neats Foot Oil til soft and tacky. Like the plating on some shafts and heads, some leather grips are worn out. If you must re-grip be very mindful of swing weight: measure each club before removing the grip and return it to that weight by using a tape,/grip combo that gets 'me back to their original weights. Very important!  Go for a plain cord.
Thank you for the information Coralray.  The 7, 8, and 9 Irons are huge heads.  Larger than Macgregors counterparts of the day such as the Colokroms.  I agree the 985's have a classy look to them and I can see why so many players played MacGregor during that time.

These are a set of left-handed 985's which are hard to come by.  I want to ask you do you have a set of 985's with the original grips?  If so, were they leather, rubber, or cord?  Thank you for your help.

#6 lefty76

lefty76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Hello Everyone,

I would like to let you know how the Restoration on the MacGregor 985T Irons is going. I recently had replicas of the original ferrules made by Cell-Parts based out of Illionois who used to make the ferrules for MacGregor years ago.

Here are a few pictures of the new ferrules and a picture of the old ferrule so you can compare. Now I'm in the process of havng the original serial number stamped on the new ferrules and later color fill the serial numbers with white paint. I am open to any suggestions so feel free to leave any. Thanks.

Here are the pictures:

PA010375.JPG PA010376.JPG PA010374.JPG P8010363.JPG P8010362.JPG

Edited by lefty76, 04 October 2012 - 01:37 PM.

#7 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:27 AM

Lefty-

You have a set of LH MacGregor Tommy Armour Silver Scot 985Ts like these...

100_9808.JPG

with "Neutralizer" stamped on the hosel?  

These have cord grips.

Do you have the "Double Duty" 11 iron as well?

Edited by rex235, 07 October 2012 - 12:33 AM.

#8 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:38 AM

If you can, get the Golf Pride "Pro Only" cord grips.....

Let me know if you need some....

#9 lefty76

lefty76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

Hello Everyone,

Wanted to give you an update on the MacGregors.  I was told by a person who owns a company that specializes in engraving that using a laser to engrave a ferrule is not a good idea since the high heat will melt the plastic and cause the plastic to release potentially harmful fumes.  They did not have the stamping machine so they told me I should keep on searching.  I wish I could run into those type of people more often.

I was able to find a local jeweler who does engraving who luckily had a stamping machine. I gave him a sample ferrule to try and stamp the serial number of the original MacGregors on it.  It came out what I thought was good so I had him do the rest.

Here is a picture of the stamped ferrule.  I did not have it color filled since I'll wait and have it done at the end when the the new shafts and ferrules are put on.  Here are also pictures of the set of 985's before they were sent off for refinishing.

Rex, I know these clubs call for cord grips but I'm going to go with the Golf Pride Tour Velvet Jumbo Grips since I like the feel of them more than cords but thanks anyways.   There isn't anything stamped on the hosel.  I do have the wedge.  It's a double sole.  It is hard to see in the picture put on front sole it is stamped pat. pending and back sole  it's stamped double service.  The wedge is heavy.  The swingweight scale at Golfsmith goes up to F5.  I put the wedge on the scale, slid the marker all the way to the right and the scale didn't even budge.

It is strange how the sets of MacGregors vary in the stamping of the lefty version of the 985's.  Was that normal Rex? Here are the pictures:

PA090494.JPG PA090470.JPG PA090468.JPG PA090472.JPG PA090461.JPG PA090463.JPG PA090464.JPG PA090467.JPG PA090479.JPG PA090480.JPG PA090483.JPG PA090485.JPG PA090487.JPG

#10 teevons

teevons

Major Winner

• 1,243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68116
  • Ebay ID:persimmblade
GolfWRX Likes : 199

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

who did you decide to have rechrome them??

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

Lefty76-

Yes, it would be great to know who you've chosen for this task-

Included are the 5 irons from 3 sets of MacGregors and their original grips-

From Top to Bottom-

100_0180.JPG

The LH MacGregor "Wingback MT" Tourney Colokrom with Toney Penna "TP" stamp-
Grips are Burgundy/Navy Leather. These are part of a 1955 custom set, as I do not know of another LH MacGregor iron set with the "TP" stamp.  Shafts are
MacGregor True Temper Tourney V label.  

The LH MacGregor Tourney Silver Scot 945 Tommy Armour-
Grips are Dark Burgundy Perforated Wrap Leather. Shafts have Silver True Temper Tourney label.  

The LH MacGregor Tommy Armour Silver Scot Tourney 985 T-
Grips are Cord. Shafts have Silver True Temper Tourneylabel with black border

100_0185.JPG

Let us know how the rechroming comes out.

#12 lefty76

lefty76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

View Postrex235, on 10 October 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

Lefty76-

From Top to Bottom-

Attachment 100_0180.JPG

Grips are Burgundy/Navy Leather. These are part of a 1955 custom set, as I do not know of another LH MacGregor iron set with the "TP" stamp.  Shafts are

Grips are Dark Burgundy Perforated Wrap Leather. Shafts have Silver True Temper Tourney label.  

Attachment 100_0185.JPG

Hello Rex and Teevons,

I have heard good reports about Jim Kronus at the IronFactory in Colorado so I decided to go with him.  He has some pictures of the work he's done on his website and it seems to be good work.  The lady who made the ferrules for me at CellParts commented on his good work and Mizuno also recommends him so I thought why not go with Jim?

I have a question for you,

The 985's are from the 2-9 and I believe the PW was not part of the set.  Is that so?  I am hunting around for a lefty Macgregor sand iron - not an easy task.  If you know someone who is looking to sell one - let me know.

The set I currently play are Mizuno MP68's and they are half an inch over standard.  The 3-iron is 39.25 inches and decreases at half inch increments from there except between the 9 and wedge where there is a quarter increment.  That's how it shows on the specs for those irons.

I like the longer shafts of the Mizuno and have been thinking about going even longer with the 985's.  For example, instead of 39.25 for the MacGregor 3-iron try 39.75 and see what the swingweight comes out to be after they are rechromed, reshafted.  I can always have Jim take off more shaft if they are too heavy.

I also was thinking of strengthening in lofts in this sequence:

2- 20 degrees
3- 24
4- 28
5- 32
6-36
7-40
8-44
9-48
PW- 52

Rex, thanks for posting those great pictures of the MacGregor irons in lefty.  I always look forward to seeing a left-handed version of classic clubs,  something you and Okesa I believe look forward to also.  Let me know what you think about the shaft length and strenghening of the lofts.  Thanks again Rex and Teevons,

Lefty

Edited by lefty76, 10 October 2012 - 12:59 PM.

#13 Ironmaster Oddities

Ironmaster Oddities

Major Winner

• 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

View Postlefty76, on 10 October 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

View Postrex235, on 10 October 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

Lefty76-

From Top to Bottom-

Attachment 100_0180.JPG

Attachment 100_0185.JPG

Hello Rex and Teevons,

I have heard good reports about Jim Kronus at the IronFactory in Colorado so I decided to go with him.  He has some pictures of the work he's done on his website and it seems to be good work.  The lady who made the ferrules for me at CellParts commented on his good work and Mizuno also recommends him so I thought why not go with Jim?

I have a question for you,

The 985's are from the 2-9 and I believe the PW was not part of the set.  Is that so?  I am hunting around for a lefty Macgregor sand iron - not an easy task.  If you know someone who is looking to sell one - let me know.

The set I currently play are Mizuno MP68's and they are half an inch over standard.  The 3-iron is 39.25 inches and decreases at half inch increments from there except between the 9 and wedge where there is a quarter increment.  That's how it shows on the specs for those irons.

I like the longer shafts of the Mizuno and have been thinking about going even longer with the 985's.  For example, instead of 39.25 for the MacGregor 3-iron try 39.75 and see what the swingweight comes out to be after they are rechromed, reshafted.  I can always have Jim take off more shaft if they are too heavy.

I also was thinking of strengthening in lofts in this sequence:

2- 20 degrees
3- 24
4- 28
5- 32
6-36
7-40
8-44
9-48
PW- 52

Rex, thanks for posting those great pictures of the MacGregor irons in lefty.  I always look forward to seeing a left-handed version of classic clubs,  something you and Okesa I believe look forward to also.  Let me know what you think about the shaft length and strenghening of the lofts.  Thanks again Rex and Teevons,

Lefty
Lefty,
If you add length and rechrome, you will very likely have clubs with super-heavy swingweights.  Keep in mind that the original length on your 985's is 38.5 inches for the 2-iron. You could back weight under the grips in an effort to reduce the swing weights; but your dynamic/static weight will increase.
IMO

#14 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

Lefty76-

The Iron Factory is an excellent choice...

When it comes to Classic Wedges, I'm more of a Wilson Staff man.
My past statements on LH MacGregor Wedges haven't been kind...most WRXers know this.
Back in those times, 2-9 was the standard set...
Even the Winged MT's with the TP logo have just a Sand Iron along with the standard set. No PW.
But what a MacGregor MT Tourney Colokrom Sand Iron this is....

100_9375.JPG

100_9372.JPG

The LH MacGregor Wedges didn't have the same stamping on the back pad.
Charley Penna has shown everyone the MacGregor Wedges designs- but I have yet to find any LH MacGregor Toney Pennas, other than the one you see above...

To my knowledge, no LH TP "Expediters" are around...

There are two other LH MacGregor Wedges in my inventory-
An extremely heavy "Big M" Tourney, (F6) with FC 4000 face, and a Worsham Wedge.

Let me know if you want to see photos of them.

Edited by rex235, 10 October 2012 - 10:16 PM.

#15 lefty76

lefty76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:52 AM

View Postrex235, on 10 October 2012 - 10:11 PM, said:

Lefty76-

The Iron Factory is an excellent choice...

When it comes to Classic Wedges, I'm more of a Wilson Staff man.
My past statements on LH MacGregor Wedges haven't been kind...most WRXers know this.
Back in those times, 2-9 was the standard set...
Even the Winged MT's with the TP logo have just a Sand Iron along with the standard set. No PW.
But what a MacGregor MT Tourney Colokrom Sand Iron this is....

Attachment 100_9375.JPG

Attachment 100_9372.JPG

The LH MacGregor Wedges didn't have the same stamping on the back pad.
Charley Penna has shown everyone the MacGregor Wedges designs- but I have yet to find any LH MacGregor Toney Pennas, other than the one you see above...

To my knowledge, no LH TP "Expediters" are around...

There are two other LH MacGregor Wedges in my inventory-
An extremely heavy "Big M" Tourney, (F6) with FC 4000 face, and a Worsham Wedge.

Let me know if you want to see photos of them.
Hello Rex,

Thanks for posting the pictures of the Colokrom Sand Iron.  If it is for sale let me know.  If not, if you have any other Lefty MacGregor Sand Irons that you would want to sell let me know.  It would be nice to have one to complete the set from that same period.

I'll be using the Joe Powells for the woods -  the ones I posted pictures of under the Joe Powell Persimmon thread and a Fernquest and Johnson Hickory shafted putter with a mallet head - has a good feel to it.

I would like to see photos of your other LH MacGregor Wedges.  I would never say no to seeing pictures of classic LH clubs.  Thanks again Rex,

Lefty

#16 chiva

chiva

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176280
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Any word on the project?

#17 lefty76

lefty76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

Hello Everyone,

I want to give you an update on the project.  The irons are finished :golfer: .  I had Jim Kronus of the Ironfactory do the restoration work for me.  Besides rechroming the heads, he strengthened the lofts, reshafted all of the irons, had the custom made ferrules put on, and all new grips.

The shafts I used were true temper S300 shafts.  These are in my woods also and overall I believe are a quality shaft for the price.  The grips are GolfPride Jumbo.  I know that the 985T irons originally had cord grips but the rubber grips are just a preference.  In an earlier post I wrote about how I had the ferrules done.  If you are interested the details are in that post but basically I had a company called cell parts make them for me and had a local jeweler engrave the original serial numbers on the ferrules.

I shipped the irons th Jim on October 10th and received them finished on December 6th in just under two months.  I would call Jim from time to time and vice versa to see how things were going.  Very easy person to deal with.

These are the lofts of the irons now:

2 iron 20 degrees
3 iron 23 degrees
4 iron 27 degrees
5 iron 31 degrees
6 iron 35 degrees
7 iron 39 degrees
8 iron 43 degrees
9 iron 47 degrees
Wedge   52 degrees

The shafts are a half inch over standard.  I have not taken them to the range yet but have swing them at home and the swingweight is about the same as my Mizuno MP68's.  Jim took off the rust on the irons and told me there was "deep rust" on some of the irons.  He did not want to take off much more because he was afraid that he might lose the Macgregor stamping on the sole and on the back of the club.  He mentioned to me that one thing that can be done is to deepen the engravings on the sole and back of the clubs so that more weight can be taken off the club head with losing the engravings.  I will keep that in mind for the next project.  

It was a pleasure to be able to restore these clubs.  Before I had the idea of restoring them I looked at these clubs but not just "look".  I saw the design, the stampings, the attention to detail.  Underneath the wear and the rust I saw a great set of clubs which with some work could be restored to their original state.  Some of you who have done this I think will understand when I say that their is a certain amount of pride you have in your clubs after you put in the time and effort to restore them.  You will have a new appreciation for them seeing them as they are - a classic.

PC060504.JPG PC070544.JPG PC070553.JPG PC070550.JPG PC070547.JPG PC070582.JPG PC060540.JPG PC080615.JPG PC080611.JPG PC080605.JPG PC070574.JPG PC070570.JPG PC070571.JPG PC070577.JPG PC070562.JPG PC080597.JPG PC070561.JPG PC060506.JPG PC060516.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• PC060507.JPG

#18 guisician

guisician

Owner of too many iron sets

• 826 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 160425
  • Handicap:16.4
  • Ebay ID:guisician61
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:10 AM

lefty76,

Wow, they turned out beautifully. Thanks for the trip in your time capsule!
modern: Royal Collection Tour VS
classic: Ben Hogan 1962 Power Thrust
hickory: Tad Moore Tom Morris 1930 Elect
"If it's not fun,
why bother?"

#19 russad

russad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 218411
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:32 AM

They look so sweet, please give us an update after you have used them.

#20 jmvargas

jmvargas

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59492
GolfWRX Likes : 298

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:05 AM

very nice!!

i have been playing for 55 years and my last macgregors were the jack nicklaus vip which i used up to the mid/late 80s when i switched to Callaways for more forgiveness..

your 2-9,SW lofts are similar to many of the 3-PW sets nowadays anyway so you're good there..

i wish i could still play blades as they are the most beautiful clubs to look at.........and yours is a beauty!!

Giga HS781 11.5* driver
Xcg5 15* 3W/Giga HS781 15* 3W/18*5W
Giga HS781  21*7W/ 23* 9W/ 25* 11W
Adams V4 3H-7H,forged irons 6-LW,
Comodo Italy staff bag
Heavy Putter Mid-Weight K4 putter

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Nspiel58

Nspiel58

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52767
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

Great set.  I really like those long hosels.  Such a classic blade.  Thanks for sharing.  I have this set of 1950s, 945s, and Silver Scott wedge which were rechromed as well, but I don't know by whom.  Got them on Ebay a few years ago.

Attached Thumbnails

• 945-1.jpg
  • 945-2.jpg
  • 945-3.jpg

#22 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132346
  • Handicap:14.0
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

This thread certainly highlghts how beautiful the old irons were and how ugly their modern counterparts are in comparison.

I was in American Golf Discount yesterday and can honestly say there was nothing in the store that I wanted to buy. Thank god for eBay !
'Tis the hickory season ...
Geo Duncan Driver, Brassie
W.Jeffery Bulldog; Tom Stewart irons:
Cleek, Dr. Mashie, Mashie Iron, Jigger
Mashie, Lofter, Spade Mashie, M.Niblick
Niblick, Nicoll Howitzer, Eskitt putter

#23 jmvargas

jmvargas

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59492
GolfWRX Likes : 298

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:33 AM

View PostNspiel58, on 31 December 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

Great set.  I really like those long hosels.  Such a classic blade.  Thanks for sharing.  I have this set of 1950s, 945s, and Silver Scott wedge which were rechromed as well, but I don't know by whom.  Got them on Ebay a few years ago.

..another great looking set of irons!!!

how i wish i could still play blades!!
Giga HS781 11.5* driver
Xcg5 15* 3W/Giga HS781 15* 3W/18*5W
Giga HS781  21*7W/ 23* 9W/ 25* 11W
Adams V4 3H-7H,forged irons 6-LW,
Comodo Italy staff bag
Heavy Putter Mid-Weight K4 putter

#24 Shallowface

Shallowface

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16569
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostBlade Junkie, on 01 January 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

I was in American Golf Discount yesterday and can honestly say there was nothing in the store that I wanted to buy. Thank god for eBay !

I had a similar experience recently at Golf Galaxy.  Didn't see a thing I would even consider buying.

I think all of the modern cosmetics of clubs are marketed toward the younger crowd.  It's just like a lot of other products.  I have the money to actually buy something without resorting to a HELOC, but it seems they don't want to sell anything to an old man (52) like me.

#25 guisician

guisician

Owner of too many iron sets

• 826 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 160425
  • Handicap:16.4
  • Ebay ID:guisician61
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

View PostShallowface, on 03 January 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

...it seems they don't want to sell anything to an old man (52) like me.

Gonna be 52 in a couple weeks and feel the same way. As I often say to my wife regarding TV, movies, even music -- "We are not the target audience."

modern: Royal Collection Tour VS
classic: Ben Hogan 1962 Power Thrust
hickory: Tad Moore Tom Morris 1930 Elect
"If it's not fun,
why bother?"

#26 Blade Junkie

Blade Junkie

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132346
  • Handicap:14.0
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostShallowface, on 03 January 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

View PostBlade Junkie, on 01 January 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

I had a similar experience recently at Golf Galaxy.  Didn't see a thing I would even consider buying.

I think all of the modern cosmetics of clubs are marketed toward the younger crowd.  It's just like a lot of other products.  I have the money to actually buy something without resorting to a HELOC, but it seems they don't want to sell anything to an old man (52) like me.

I'm 45 myself, but I don't think age comes into it - I wouldn't be spending even if I was 25. What we are talking about is classic style and taste vs trend. Of course the marketeers are well aware that 99% of the general public have no taste whatsoever, but are happy to indulge product designers that have no clue about design because they know it will sell.  As you say, it's not just golf clubs - you see all the flashy logos and graphics on lots of stuff these days.

I'm just surprised I haven't seen Ricky Fowler playing on tour with half his arse hanging out the back of his low slung Strombergs yet ...  :)

Good for Rory in going back to a classic blade in the second half of last season - hope he's doing the same with whatever Nike stick in his bag.

Modern clubs all look as gaudy as those old Cleveland VAS monstrosities that everyone hated so much at the time. Even Mizuno are losing the plot.

Which makes it all the more pleasurable to see pics of sets like these wonderful Tommy Armour irons!
'Tis the hickory season ...
Geo Duncan Driver, Brassie
W.Jeffery Bulldog; Tom Stewart irons:
Cleek, Dr. Mashie, Mashie Iron, Jigger
Mashie, Lofter, Spade Mashie, M.Niblick
Niblick, Nicoll Howitzer, Eskitt putter

#27 stixman

stixman

Hickory Golf in the Now!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131937
  • Handicap:10.6
  • Ebay ID:autolycan
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Anther generation on and I have to google HELOC to find out what we;re talking about.
In Cash and Ebay we trust!
Joe Powell Mock Hickory Driver
3 + 5 Mac. Custom Persimmon
Apex II,or 1968 Dynas, or Nicoll Cottons
Wilson PW
1935 Wilson R90, real deal
Chris H

#28 Nspiel58

Nspiel58

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52767
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Maybe Callaway will decide to make a set of Hogan 60's this year to celebrate the classiest man in golf.  Here's hoping.

#29 teevons

teevons

Major Winner

• 1,243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68116
  • Ebay ID:persimmblade
GolfWRX Likes : 199

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Perry Ellis now owns Hogan name, so you can pretty much kiss goodbye any Hogan clubs ever being made again.

#30 Ironmaster Oddities

Ironmaster Oddities

Major Winner

• 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

View Postteevons, on 04 January 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

Perry Ellis now owns Hogan name, so you can pretty much kiss goodbye any Hogan clubs ever being made again.
Hey, Tim, I just noticed I am wearing a Perry Ellis tie today...
Maybe a "Ben Hogan Argyle- Ascot Series" of clubs, each being a different color, would fly. Marketed as "wardrobe Improvement" clubs

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors