Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Oldfield and May River Hilton Head

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 HLore

HLore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78922
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

Hello,

I am heading down to Hilton Head with 12 golfers and wanted to know if anyone has a opinion on these courses. I know May River is good but is it worth the money. Normally we play Colleton but they won't let 3 groups of non members out so we may be forced to play Oldfield
We are scheduled to Play
Sat Oldfield
Sun long Cove
Mon Harbourtown
Tues May River
Thurs Haig Point
Fri Long Cove

Any opinions would greatly help

Edited by HLore, 08 October 2012 - 09:40 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 golfheaven69

golfheaven69

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16985
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

You will flat out love your choices. Don't sell Oldfield short. Great track and normally in super condition. Haven't played it in a few years but it used to be a regular stop. It can eat your lunch and one in my favorites.

I was down a few weeks ago and played Long Cove and HT. Long Cove was in super shape but HT was a little disappointing shape.

May River is worth it IMO depending on what shape it's in.

#3 HLore

HLore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

View Postgolfheaven69, on 26 September 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

You will flat out love your choices. Don't sell Oldfield short. Great track and normally in super condition. Haven't played it in a few years but it used to be a regular stop. It can eat your lunch and one in my favorites.

I was down a few weeks ago and played Long Cove and HT. Long Cove was in super shape but HT was a little disappointing shape.

May River is worth it IMO depending on what shape it's in.
Thank you for the reply. I am concerned about Harbourtown as a few people have reported it was not in great shape considering the price tag. We are really looking forward to the trip and I am glad to get a good report on Oldfield

#4 DLiver

DLiver

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55921
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

Oldfield is pretty ordinary, IMO, particularly compared to the other courses you are playing. Oldfield is a pretty course and has a decent routing, but has some of the most boring green complexes i've every played. The greens are very flat IIRC. Some people like it, so perhaps your group will too.

Too bad about Colleton River. Those are two great courses.

#5 HackerDave

HackerDave

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57404
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:16 PM

View PostHLore, on 24 September 2012 - 08:56 AM, said:

Hello,

I am heading down to Hilton Head with 12 golfers and wanted to know if anyone has a opinion on these courses. I know May River is good but is it worth the money. Normally we play Colleton but they won't let 3 groups of non members out so we may be forced to play Oldfield
We are scheduled to Play
Sat Oldfield
Sun long Cove
Mon Harbourtown
Tues May River
Thurs Haig Point
Fri Long Cove

OK Guys, you need to tell me how you arranged to get out on Long Cove!!   ;-)    I've owned a vacation home down there for 18 years and have yet to play it.   Pro from home make a call or do you know a member??    Appreciate any guidance you could send my way!  

I love the lineup by the way.   Have you played Belfair yet?   I like both courses.   Haven't tried Berkeley Hall yet but hope to this spring.   Have a great time!!   You are certainly playing the best that HHI has to offer.

#6 HLore

HLore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

View PostHackerDave, on 27 September 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

Hello,

We are scheduled to Play
Sat Oldfield
Sun long Cove
Mon Harbourtown
Tues May River
Thurs Haig Point
Fri Long Cove

OK Guys, you need to tell me how you arranged to get out on Long Cove!!   ;-) I've owned a vacation home down there for 18 years and have yet to play it.   Pro from home make a call or do you know a member?? Appreciate any guidance you could send my way!  

I love the lineup by the way.   Have you played Belfair yet?   I like both courses.   Haven't tried Berkeley Hall yet but hope to this spring.   Have a great time!!   You are certainly playing the best that HHI has to offer.

Dave,
Yes, I have a friend who is a member at Long Cove and i have been playing in the member guest down there for about 10 years. I have become friends with one of the assistants and he helps us get on the other courses at a good rate. Over the years we have had such a great time the trip has expanded and that is why we had trouble playing Colleton as they normally only will let one group out and this year we have 3.

Since Oldfield is our 1st day coming off the planes I don't think too many people will be upset if it is not up to the quality of the other courses. I think it will be a nice day of golf just not a great day like the other courses. Dave yes I have played every course in and around Hilton head except Oldfield and May River which I am covering this trip. I was able to play Secession 2 years ago and that was pretty awesome. Thanks

#7 HackerDave

HackerDave

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

View PostHLore, on 28 September 2012 - 10:20 AM, said:

View PostHackerDave, on 27 September 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

Hello,

We are scheduled to Play
Sat Oldfield
Sun long Cove
Mon Harbourtown
Tues May River
Thurs Haig Point
Fri Long Cove

OK Guys, you need to tell me how you arranged to get out on Long Cove!!   ;-) I've owned a vacation home down there for 18 years and have yet to play it.   Pro from home make a call or do you know a member?? Appreciate any guidance you could send my way!  

Dave,
Yes, I have a friend who is a member at Long Cove and i have been playing in the member guest down there for about 10 years. I have become friends with one of the assistants and he helps us get on the other courses at a good rate. Over the years we have had such a great time the trip has expanded and that is why we had trouble playing Colleton as they normally only will let one group out and this year we have 3.

Since Oldfield is our 1st day coming off the planes I don't think too many people will be upset if it is not up to the quality of the other courses. I think it will be a nice day of golf just not a great day like the other courses. Dave yes I have played every course in and around Hilton head except Oldfield and May River which I am covering this trip. I was able to play Secession 2 years ago and that was pretty awesome. Thanks

I don't think your group will be disappointed by Oldfield.   We played it last year and I would certainly go back.  Not as scenic as some of the others on your rotation but it is challenging and a pretty good course to open up with, especially since you are just coming off the plane.    Have a great time!!

#8 HLore

HLore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Just wanted to update on my Hilton Head trip
We really enjoyed Oldfield, I thought the layout was great and challenging. The conditions were excellent. Oldfield was a great 1st day day course coming off the plane as it is off island and it is cheaper. They are now offering some tee times to the public and it is worth the drive.

May River is a special place. The course is spectactular, the staff is awesome, the place is just perfect. Well worth the effort and money. Another important note is when May River says the caddy fee is included they mean it, all you need to do is tip caddy. They hand you a sheet before teeing off that says forecaddie $20 and walking $30. Compare this to Harbour town that says caddy is included but the starter recommends $40 forecaddie and $70 walking

Harbour town is a great place and I have played it maybe 20 times but I will be honest, it truly is not worth the money. The conditions were the worst of the week, the service was also pretty marginal for the price tag. We had a nice caddy but for the second year in a row my group said Harbour town was a one and done. Glad they played it but wouldn't spend the cash again.

Haig Point is a must do if you get the opportunity. Just a great course, atmosphere and staff. Don't miss this if you have the chance

Long Cove we played twice and this place is just great. Course is awesome, staff is even better. Conditions were tour like. We chose to Long Cove to play on our last day. We played at 130, showered and had the wives meet us at 6 for dinner. We had dinner for 16 outside on 2nd floor patio and truly had a great meal.

We rented a large home on the beach since we had so many people, so we ate in most nights. We went to dinner at Santa Fe which was excellent. One Hot mama's was great for comfort food and Monday Night football.

#9 HackerDave

HackerDave

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

Sounds like a great trip.   Happy you enjoyed Oldfield.   I feel the same way about HT that you do.   I probably play it every 5 years and then ask myself why I went back.   Conditioning is always iffy and I can't stand the cart path only.   I will find a way onto Long Cove!!!    ;-)

#10 HLore

HLore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

View PostHackerDave, on 08 October 2012 - 07:22 PM, said:

Sounds like a great trip.   Happy you enjoyed Oldfield.   I feel the same way about HT that you do.   I probably play it every 5 years and then ask myself why I went back.   Conditioning is always iffy and I can't stand the cart path only.   I will find a way onto Long Cove!!! ;-)
Dave, next time you go to Hilton Head, please private message me. I can arrange for you to play Long Cove

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 golfheaven69

golfheaven69

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

Glad you enjoyed the trip. Agree with your comments. HT ver nice but too expensive. Oldfield hidden gem and Long Cove is flat out special. Looking at property there as we speak. Maybe retirement destination.

#12 HackerDave

HackerDave

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

View PostHLore, on 09 October 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

View PostHackerDave, on 08 October 2012 - 07:22 PM, said:

Sounds like a great trip.   Happy you enjoyed Oldfield.   I feel the same way about HT that you do.   I probably play it every 5 years and then ask myself why I went back.   Conditioning is always iffy and I can't stand the cart path only.   I will find a way onto Long Cove!!! ;-)
Dave, next time you go to Hilton Head, please private message me. I can arrange for you to play Long Cove

Thank You!   That would be really nice.   May not be back down until spring.

#13 HackerDave

HackerDave

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

View Postgolfheaven69, on 27 October 2012 - 08:14 PM, said:

Glad you enjoyed the trip. Agree with your comments. HT ver nice but too expensive. Oldfield hidden gem and Long Cove is flat out special. Looking at property there as we speak. Maybe retirement destination.

Share your thoughts when you get back.   We are in Palmetto Dunes but when the time comes to spend more time, we will be looking at Long Cove or off-island.   So many options.   Have a great trip!!

#14 golfheaven69

golfheaven69

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

View PostHackerDave, on 28 October 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

Share your thoughts when you get back.   We are in Palmetto Dunes but when the time comes to spend more time, we will be looking at Long Cove or off-island.   So many options.   Have a great trip!!

Dave where off island are you looking? Belfair or Colleton? Considering both. Reasons why?

#15 HackerDave

HackerDave

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

View Postgolfheaven69, on 29 October 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

View PostHackerDave, on 28 October 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

Dave where off island are you looking? Belfair or Colleton? Considering both. Reasons why?

Off island we will probably look at Belfair, Colleton and Berkely Hall.   I have to say I have only played at Belfair.   I liked both of the courses (Fazio) there and the clubhouse is really nice.   Membership seems very nice and services were top notch.   I love the practice facilities.  What can I say, I'm the reigning range champion at my club!   ;-)  Not sure I like the architectural feel/style of the place.   They are certainly nice homes.   I know they are feeling the heat of a down economy, as I am sure they all are.   CR is a more mature development (it's older than the two other off island developments) and it looks it.   All three had the same developer.   Again, have not played the courses.   I honestly think I would be very happy at all four.   The key is to investigate their financial health and get a read on the membership i.e. avg age, level of participation etc    I like the idea behind Berkely.   The courses have no homes and were designed for walking.   I prefer to walk when I play.   Of course by the time we retire, that may change!  

Off Island offers better access to golf because each development has two courses.   The drawback of course is you need to pay for two golf courses!   Then factor in the dozen other developments that have to do the same.   Does the math add up?   I honestly don't know because we aren't that far into the process.   My feeling is that Long Cove would be in a stronger financial position because it is nationally ranked and the membership only has to support one course.   Again, I'm just guessing here.  

It's an interesting challenge as you have to pick the club that best matches your personality and then find a home that meets your needs.  I really think the key is to find the club/courses you love.   Plenty of homes to choose from so you should be able to find something you like.   If not, you can always build.  

Which did you prefer?   HLore has a lot more experience with these clubs than I do.  He might be able to share his opinion on the various courses. We have been down there purely vacationing for 18 years (i.e. two weeks at a time).   We like the community and the people.   The traffic leaves little to be desired but it's worth it.

Edited by HackerDave, 29 October 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#16 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,787 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130204
  • Handicap:12.9
GolfWRX Likes : 452

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Dave, still down here? Playing Dunes/Jones tomorrow at 8.

Any tips? ;)

Thanks!

--kC
RBZ 9 Tour/Fujikura Fuel 60S Masters Ed
RBZ 3W/4H / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons
Scratch 8620 54/58. TM Trip Winner-Doral
I'm like Rhyno the Hampster in Bolt.
Overly enthusiastic about everything
with no inner dialog filter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors