Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ace or not?

Ace

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Ace or not? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Ace or not?

1. Yes (20 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

2. No (16 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 dpc

dpc

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59979
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

I'm playing a muni par 3 course by myself.  This is a real par 3 course with holes from 125 to 180 with large bunkers and water in play on several holes.  I was playing two balls to every hole.  The sun had set and the last hole played back into the setting sun.  The green was therefore in shadow while the sky was still somewhat bright.  The pin is cut way right tucked behind a bunker.  The shot called for a cut.  My first shot felt fat and on the toe.  It flew right at the pin but I didn't see it bounce so I assumed it was in the bunker.  My second shot was toed even worse and landed to the right of the bunker.  Frustrated I grabbed another ball and hit the shot I intended and it landed in the center of the green.  Wanting to repeat the shot I grabbed another one and it was similar and landed within a few feet of my third in the center of the green.

I walked to my 2nd ball and pitched on over the bunker and proceeded to walk to the bunker - no ball.  I walked around the bunker looking in the rough - no ball.  Thinking it must have carried further than I thought I walked toward the back of the green, on the way by I took a glance into the cup laughing to myself... Holy Crap it's in the hole!

Some of my friends think it's an ace, a couple say no since I was playing multiple balls - even though this was my first shot to the green.  So what say you GolfWRXers.  Is this an ace or not?  For posterity it was a 180 yd 5-iron.

Thanks,
dpc

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Sonny217

Sonny217

50/50/90

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175162
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

I voted yes, but only since it was the first ball. It still feels a little dirty though.

#3 Pudgelewis

Pudgelewis

<><

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83757
  • Ebay ID:Pudgelewis
GolfWRX Likes : 185

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

Tough call, but I'd have to say no.  At least for the official distinction.  I just think it should come in the form of an actual round where you aren't just knocking all kinds of balls around.  Like he said above, if it weren't on your first shot into the hole it'd probably be an easy no.  

This is coming from a guy who's first 3 came at a Par 3 course and was given crap about the type of course.  Funny thing is, when I got my first at a "real" course, the hole it was on (107yd) was shorter than all 3 at the Par 3 course (165, 127, 112yd).  My first came on an April Fool's day round, but luckily I had a guy with me. :)

Either way, call it what you want and enjoy it. It'll happen some day.  Nice shot!

#4 hebron1427

hebron1427

Older. Slower. Weaker. AtlJeff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114354
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

Yes. It went in the hole with one shot. It's a hole in one.

#5 dpc

dpc

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59979
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for voting/commenting folks.  If ever asked, I'll probably answer yes I've had an ace, but it was in practice.  It's similar to bowling a 300 in practice - only flipped around.  You have the internal pressure/anxiety of knowing what you're attempting, but without the external difficulties (alternating lanes, multiple bowlers, length of time between frames).  Here I had the external difficulties - it was a real par 3, not a 60 yd flat pitch-n-putt, but I didn't have any of the internal pressure of trying to shoot a good score or save a bad one.  It was a shot without consequences - a practice shot.

-dpc

#6 John3Daly

John3Daly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133556
  • Ebay ID:John3daly
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

Almost reminds me of hitting the pin at the range.....correct yardage and a bucket of balls goes a long ways.

#7 jwingen44

jwingen44

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82892
  • Handicap:+1
  • Ebay ID:Repeteware1
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

NO way is that a hole in one. Thats like saying you shot a 75 with a third ball when you really shot a 85 with your first one.

#8 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6582
GolfWRX Likes : 240

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

To me, it is a hole in one but I wouldn't tell anyone about it.

"Official" HIOs come on regulation courses that are not par 3s and yardage should be over 6000yds. Not totally sure about the yardage comment but I thought that's what the USGA considers for official HiOs

#9 PockyStick

PockyStick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125784
  • Ebay ID:jetinfreak
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

I votes yes. You hit one shot from tee into the hole.

#10 billybaroo

billybaroo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20513
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

Not a question - no dice.

View Postdpc, on 21 September 2012 - 09:02 PM, said:

I'm playing... ...by myself.  

I was playing two balls to every hole.

http://www.usga.org/....asp?FAQidx=148

Not an official endorsement, but you are excluded from the USGA considerations.

USGA said:

a hole-in-one made in a practice round in which the player is playing two or more balls should not be acceptable.

...attested by someone acceptable to the Committee.

(edited to amend my USGA statements)

Edited by billybaroo, 22 October 2012 - 03:12 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Mschumacher

Mschumacher

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146903
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

No.  Its a hole in one but it not "a hole in one".  If that makes any sense :)

#12 craniac24

craniac24

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139567
GolfWRX Likes : 189

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

Not a chance.  Billybaroo has it correct.

#13 peanutandjelly

peanutandjelly

pinging away

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127164
GolfWRX Likes : 176

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

I'm playing a muni par 3 course by myself.  This is a real par 3 course with holes from 125 to 180 with large bunkers and water in play on several holes.  I was playing two balls to every hole.  The sun had set and the last hole played back into the setting sun.  The green was therefore in shadow while the sky was still somewhat bright.  The pin is cut way right tucked behind a bunker.  The shot called for a cut.  My first shot felt fat and on the toe.  It flew right at the pin but I didn't see it bounce so I assumed it was in the bunker.  My second shot was toed even worse and landed to the right of the bunker.  Frustrated I grabbed another ball and hit the shot I intended and it landed in the center of the green.  Wanting to repeat the shot I grabbed another one and it was similar and landed within a few feet of my third in the center of the green.

I walked to my 2nd ball and pitched on over the bunker and proceeded to walk to the bunker - no ball.  I walked around the bunker looking in the rough - no ball.  Thinking it must have carried further than I thought I walked toward the back of the green, on the way by I took a glance into the cup laughing to myself... Holy Crap it's in the hole!

Some of my friends think it's an ace, a couple say no since I was playing multiple balls - even though this was my first shot to the green.  So what say you GolfWRXers.  Is this an ace or not?  For posterity it was a 180 yd 5-iron.

Thanks,
dpc
RULES OF GOLF SAY THAT ONCE A BALL IS HOLED, IT IS HOLED...DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU HIT A PROVISIONAL, HIT 12 WRONG BALLS, IT IS HOLED AND THEREFORE A ONE.  IF YOU HAVE BEEN PLAYING MULTIPLE BALLS BEFORE THIS HOLE, it would not be a postable score.  If you finish the round, it is a hole in one but there are also length restrictions of what is a real round of golf.
G25 10.5,15,16.5,17
Diablo Edge 3-pw
Oddeysey White Ice #6
Every kind of wedge there is

#14 peanutandjelly

peanutandjelly

pinging away

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

Thanks,
dpc
a good story for you...I live on a course and we are by my patio on number 3, a par 4.  my friend who lives over on number 1, also a par 4 is by my house....we are chipping and stuff and he takes a full swing, the ball goes over the trees and goes in the hole on number 2, a par 3....it was about a 170 yard or more shot from my fairway.   If only it had counted for something.  the same guy also was on number 9 and thought his ball had gone OB over the green.  so he played a provisional and sank it for a par.   then someone found his first ball behind the green and then he chopped it up for a triple.
G25 10.5,15,16.5,17
Diablo Edge 3-pw
Oddeysey White Ice #6

#15 peanutandjelly

peanutandjelly

pinging away

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

Thanks,
dpc
usga ruling...two guys were playing the same kind and number ball.    both hit into the sun on a par 3.  one went in, one was 2 inches away.  what is the ruling?   they both had lost balls and had to hit again since they could not idientify the ball.

G25 10.5,15,16.5,17
Diablo Edge 3-pw
Oddeysey White Ice #6

#16 sackgolf

sackgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142601
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

Thanks,
dpc

Sorry to say but no ace.

Also tagged with Ace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors