Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

7 Days in Monterey***Post trip with pics***

43 replies to this topic

#1 ateupwithgolf

ateupwithgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8250
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

View Postnfinch10, on 19 November 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

Sounds awesome!  78 from the tips at Pasa is no joke.  Funnny that you think 11 is a great hole.  I really, really , really , really do NOT like that hole.

.(original post)
Ok, this is finally a reality! I'm just a poor boy from Arkansas, so this is a big trip for my wife and me. I was fortunate enough to have the plane fair comped and the hotel comped in downtown Monterey for the week of November 4-11.

Of course, I'm not leaving till I get to play Pebble. I am a single, and have read all the posts on here I think, about calling ahead and booking while not staying on property. My second course is definitely going to be Spyglass. I am going to try to start getting booked for that Monday, and then repeat every day if needed. I know there are no tourney's that week until like the 12th.

My goal is to play at minimum 5 courses. From reading on here, many think Pacific Grove is decent to play the back 9, it's close, so may do that.

After that, I don't have any plans. I know my wife wants to drive up to San Fran for a day. So, I figure we'll see Alcatraz and the GG Bridge, etc one day.

Also, I've read you can get a deal if you ask for a replay rate after playing PB. If possible, I would to like to try to play Spyglass in the afternoon on the same day if it's a good discount. Anybody done this?

So, I really have 3 or 4 courses to choose from in that area. I'm open to driving an hour or so if needed.

What are your top picks outside PB and Spyglass that you'd play if you were making a once in a lifetime trip?

Edited by ateupwithgolf, 20 November 2012 - 05:04 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 J LO

J LO

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102719
  • Handicap:5.2
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

Bayonet and Blackhorse (great rate on golfnow.com especially for replay), Pasatiempo, Harding Park, Poppy Hills would be on my list.  Great private courses as well if you have any friends who have privileges.   Starting to plan for next March for a few days up there and thinking about this line up as well.
Ping G20 9.5 Nunchuk
TM R11TP 3W Kaili 80X
Mizuno MP60 Steelfiber i95x
Cleveland 588 Tour Forged 52, 58
TM Spider Mallet CB

#3 siccmade11

siccmade11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201977
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

Just played SpyGlass Hill in July it was amazing, also Spanish Bay is top notch one of my all time favorites you have to check it out, Quail Lodge is a great course very nice greens and very challenging, Carmel Valley Ranch has an amazing back 9, designed by Pete Dye.  Your in for a hell of a trip , have fun !

#4 joe perry

joe perry

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2640
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:53 PM

Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz is a must play

Go to their club website and you will find some heavily discounted tee times for single golfers most days of the week !!!!

#5 act0fgod

act0fgod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132508
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

The five courses I'd play would be PB, Pasatiempo, Spyglass, Harding Park and Bayonet if money were no issue.  As mentioned checkout golfnow for Bayonet (Pasatiempo also used to be on golfnow but I think they stopped and put their specials on their own website).  You mentioned Pacific Grove and that's a course to add if you're looking for value (don't want to pay over $100).

#6 trapp20

trapp20

Rad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193680
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

Half Moon Bay (Ocean Course)

Pasatiempo (enough said!)

Poppy Hills

Definitely hit up Black Horse/Bayonet

#7 trapp20

trapp20

Rad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193680
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

View Postsiccmade11, on 21 September 2012 - 05:50 PM, said:

Carmel Valley Ranch has an amazing back 9, designed by Pete Dye.  

THIS!

I didn't read the other recommendations before posting my own as I've spent a lot of time in the Santa Cruz/Monterey area and I kept feeling the need to edit my post and mention Carmel Valley Ranch. I couldn't remember what it was about that place that was so cool, now I see I'm not alone. I witnessed my first ace at this course, and lost A LOT of balls (though nowhere near as many as half moon bay!) but it was a great challenge, and since CVR is on GolfNow, you can get in for a very reasonable price. I stopped short of recommending it and I shouldn't have, it's fun.

To go back to my original picks. Pasatiempo is no longer on GolfNow so you can expect $200 rates. It seems they get on board early in the year then pull out when the summer crowd starts showing up and they don't need to fill tee times. Half Moon Bay. I got a steal of a rate ($50/cart) during the 49er's playoff in January. It was completely empty and wind was relentless and I shot so poorly I would have wanted to go home...if it was any other course. You literally feel like you're in the British Open when you hit the back 9, unreal, especially leading up to the clubhouse on 18 when you're playing alongside the cliff/ocean.

#8 ironmikes

ironmikes

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43602
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

I am from the East coast . when I played Pebble we also played , links at Spanish Bay ,  Half Moon Bay (Ocean Course) , Black Horse/Bayonet , pacific grove ( was a good first day course for us ) like the other poster said Half Monn Bay is a must to feel real links golf as well as some amazing views on the back nine ocean course) the sleeeper course for me was Hunter Ranch we got a good deal on playing and got ppaired up with a couple of local guys.   here is the link to it ... http://www.hunterranchgolf.com/ I also used the link below to see how the courses are grouped and where they are located .  if the family is with you make sure to get to the Monterey Aquaruim .hope this helps. really want to get back to the west coast to play again . have a great trip

http://www.golfworld...466918945312,10

Edited by ironmikes, 23 September 2012 - 10:10 AM.

#9 scotchblade

scotchblade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23836
  • Ebay ID:basichip
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:39 PM

Harding's back nine, (10 and 13-18) has some great holes.  The rest of it, I think, is a overrated.  Great deal for residents though.  Don't get me wrong, I grew up there when it was a run down muni and love the place.  It's also more than an hour away.

Edited by scotchblade, 23 September 2012 - 11:40 PM.

#10 nfinch10

nfinch10

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118668
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

View Postateupwithgolf, on 21 September 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

What are your top picks outside PB and Spyglass that you'd play if you were making a once in a lifetime trip?

Does this mean $ is no object?

Cypress
Pasatiempo
Pasadero
MPCC
San Juan Oaks

Unfortunately 3 out of those 5 are going to be a little bit challenging to get on (understatement of the century).  If I had to replace those (and I'm not including Half Moon Bay or Harding becasue those aren't close to Monterey)...

1.) Pasatiempo
2.) Spanish Bay(some don't like it, but since you're from Arkansas, it's possible you have never spent this much time next to the water.  views are unreal)
3.) Quail Lodge/Carmel Valley Ranch (both private courses in Carmel Valley that are now allowing public play.  Conditions are great at both, but in general Quail will be in better shape while Carmel's layout is better)
4.) Bayonet & Blackhorse (nice, HARD tracks.  Can probably play them both on the same day for less than $150 total)
5.) Poppy Hills ( can be a little slopppy or wet, but used to be in the AT&T rotation and is fun, just keep it out of those trees)
Bonus:
Pacific Grove (not a bucket list course but hard to argue with 9 links holes on the water for less than $50)
San Juan Oaks (A seriously underappreciated course because of its location.  I'm a big believer that if SJO was closer to the Bay or closer to Monterey, it could charge twice as much and still get 2-3 times the amount of play it gets currently.  I love the layout and it is always in good shape.  Plus it's cheap for its quality and hardly has anyone there.  It's abotu 30-45 min from Monterey and worth it imo)
Old Del Monte (Very cool old course that is part of the Pebble resorts I believe.  Good conditions)

Edited by nfinch10, 24 September 2012 - 04:41 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6582
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:34 PM

Pasadera, not Pasadero. Pasadera does allow the public to play unaccompanied and it's usually Friday afternoons, a 3 hour window. NCGA members have priority over others. Must call the course and get details.

Quail Lodge/Carmel Valley are not private clubs, never have been. They are resorts and you can play them with or without staying there.

#12 nfinch10

nfinch10

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

Getting a little nit picky don't you think?  Excuse my spelling, and the resort courses are technically private, even they are open to the public (plus most of their play is from members).  And in the case of Quail, the resort hasn't been in operation in quite some time.

#13 ateupwithgolf

ateupwithgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

View Postjoe perry, on 21 September 2012 - 10:53 PM, said:

Go to their club website and you will find some heavily discounted tee times for single golfers most days of the week !!!!

Thanks for the tip. It looks like you can get on for $120 plus cart+tax early in the week.

#14 WHF

WHF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127106
  • Ebay ID:whff2f
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

View Postateupwithgolf, on 25 September 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

View Postjoe perry, on 21 September 2012 - 10:53 PM, said:

Thanks for the tip. It looks like you can get on for $120 plus cart+tax early in the week.

Its an awesome course. Played there a couple months ago with a couple friends and ending up playing a second round for $75 with carts. Extremely underated IMO.

#15 slocagolfer

slocagolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3629
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

View Postironmikes, on 23 September 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

I am from the East coast . when I played Pebble we also played , links at Spanish Bay ,  Half Moon Bay (Ocean Course) , Black Horse/Bayonet , pacific grove ( was a good first day course for us ) like the other poster said Half Monn Bay is a must to feel real links golf as well as some amazing views on the back nine ocean course) the sleeeper course for me was Hunter Ranch we got a good deal on playing and got ppaired up with a couple of local guys.   here is the link to it ... http://www.hunterranchgolf.com/ I also used the link below to see how the courses are grouped and where they are located .  if the family is with you make sure to get to the Monterey Aquaruim .hope this helps. really want to get back to the west coast to play again . have a great trip

Glad to hear some love for Hunter Ranch. I live in the area and it's my favorite course in San Luis Obispo County. It is two hours away from Monterey, however.

#16 ateupwithgolf

ateupwithgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys. Looking forward to an amazing time.

Can anybody tell me if the FOG is bad in the mornings in November? If so, I was going to try to get some PM tee times on the ocean courses?

Edited by ateupwithgolf, 27 September 2012 - 03:35 PM.

#17 nfinch10

nfinch10

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

Well, it's definitely not good.  Around 12:00 is usually the best time because the fog may have burned off, it has warmed up and you will finish before dark.

#18 ateupwithgolf

ateupwithgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

View Postnfinch10, on 27 September 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

Well, it's definitely not good.  Around 12:00 is usually the best time because the fog may have burned off, it has warmed up and you will finish before dark.

That's what I kind of figured, thank you!

#19 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

View Postnfinch10, on 25 September 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

Getting a little nit picky don't you think?  Excuse my spelling, and the resort courses are technically private, even they are open to the public (plus most of their play is from members).  And in the case of Quail, the resort hasn't been in operation in quite some time.

I hate the spelling nazi's more than anybody, but when it comes to golf courses, you have to get it right. I mean, you and I know its Pasadera but someone from out of state doesn't. For all they know Pasadero won't come up on a search and when it does, they'll say, the bruddah didn't spell it right. And that makes you look bad, or not very intelligent about golf courses.

One letter makes a big difference. It could have been Lasadera, Pasatera, sounds way off right? Nit picky maybe, but just trying to make it right. If you we're talking to somebody about golf courses and they said, have you heard about Pebbles Beaches?? Or what about, have you played Spyglass Hills? Or what about Cypress Points? It makes that person sound  not very knowledgable about the place.

Also, by the sound of your post about lumping Pasadera in with Cypress and MPCC with no chance in hell, I just added the comment that one could very easily play Pasadera. Pasadera isn't in the same league with the other 2.

And your last point about CarmelV/ Quail being technically private, that very well may be but by the sound of your post, it sounded like you are saying they recently are letting the public play and they've always let the public play. Maybe you and I have a different view of what private cc means. To me private means members and guests only. Resortist's who play and the general public who can call up CarmelV/Quail and play doesn't make it a "private" course though it may be in their by-laws that they are private. Pasatiempo is a Semi-Private course that allows no non- member to tee off before 9:30am. But they don't market themselves as such and I've never seen or heard of CarmelV/Quail being listed as a private club. So if you're right about that its my bad..

BTW, I just looked up CarmelV and they are listed as Semi-Private, not technically Private.

Edited by sharkiesj, 27 September 2012 - 05:20 PM.

#20 Johnny Biarritz

Johnny Biarritz

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137765
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:33 AM

Well, Pasatiempo is a great option on the public side. So Pebble, Spy, and Pasa are all really solid. After that...Links at Spanish Bay is supposed to be good, though I think it is most likely over priced. Half Moon Bay (Ocean) is supposed to be quite good as well.

What I would do, were I in your situation, is ask the caddie you take at Pebble Beach if he happens to know someone who might be nice enough to host you at Monterey Peninsula or especially Cypress Point. The caddie I had at Pebble had worked at Cypress for 15 years, also as a caddie, and I suspect if I had another day in the area and another $100 to add to the post-round handshake, a call could have been made. If that is not an option, then once you are past the Big 3 listed above, the "once-in-a-lifetime" courses are done. The rest are good to very good, but not THAT good. Just MHO though.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 nfinch10

nfinch10

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

View Postsharkiesj, on 27 September 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

I hate the spelling nazi's more than anybody, but when it comes to golf courses, you have to get it right. I mean, you and I know its Pasadera but someone from out of state doesn't. For all they know Pasadero won't come up on a search and when it does, they'll say, the bruddah didn't spell it right. And that makes you look bad, or not very intelligent about golf courses.

One letter makes a big difference. It could have been Lasadera, Pasatera, sounds way off right? Nit picky maybe, but just trying to make it right. If you we're talking to somebody about golf courses and they said, have you heard about Pebbles Beaches?? Or what about, have you played Spyglass Hills? Or what about Cypress Points? It makes that person sound  not very knowledgable about the place.

Also, by the sound of your post about lumping Pasadera in with Cypress and MPCC with no chance in hell, I just added the comment that one could very easily play Pasadera. Pasadera isn't in the same league with the other 2.

And your last point about CarmelV/ Quail being technically private, that very well may be but by the sound of your post, it sounded like you are saying they recently are letting the public play and they've always let the public play. Maybe you and I have a different view of what private cc means. To me private means members and guests only. Resortist's who play and the general public who can call up CarmelV/Quail and play doesn't make it a "private" course though it may be in their by-laws that they are private. Pasatiempo is a Semi-Private course that allows no non- member to tee off before 9:30am. But they don't market themselves as such and I've never seen or heard of CarmelV/Quail being listed as a private club. So if you're right about that its my bad..

BTW, I just looked up CarmelV and they are listed as Semi-Private, not technically Private.

Very good points.  I think we are on the same page here now.  I'll admit that my post did make Quail/Carmel seem that way.  Carmel I certainly see as more of a resort type course than Quail.  My little bro worked at Quail for a while.  The way he has always talked about it made it seem that, since the resort closed, the majority of play was from members and guests.  And then only recently did they start offering a deal for the public to come play it (it might have even been a deal with CarmelV?).  We played it pretty much every weekend that he worked there and it wasn't until recently that he started pointing out players as non-members taking advantage of a public play deal that was recently introduced.  I certainly could be mistaken about their past public play policy.  Either way, good options for the OP to play on his trip!

Are you in SJ?  Your username makes it seem that way but your location says SoCal (I'm in the south bay)...

#22 b.hughes_10

b.hughes_10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163973

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

View Postnfinch10, on 28 September 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

View Postsharkiesj, on 27 September 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

Very good points.  I think we are on the same page here now.  I'll admit that my post did make Quail/Carmel seem that way.  Carmel I certainly see as more of a resort type course than Quail.  My little bro worked at Quail for a while.  The way he has always talked about it made it seem that, since the resort closed, the majority of play was from members and guests.  And then only recently did they start offering a deal for the public to come play it (it might have even been a deal with CarmelV?).  We played it pretty much every weekend that he worked there and it wasn't until recently that he started pointing out players as non-members taking advantage of a public play deal that was recently introduced.  I certainly could be mistaken about their past public play policy.  Either way, good options for the OP to play on his trip!

Are you in SJ?  Your username makes it seem that way but your location says SoCal (I'm in the south bay)...

Are you rory's brother? Haha judging from screen name. And yeah quail is semi private, good little course. In great shape right now, everything was punched a month ago and is pristeen. You could definitely get a good deal there aswell as tee time and only 15 minutes from Monterey. Better greens than Carmel valley ranch for sure.

#23 PuttForDough100

PuttForDough100

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119956
  • Ebay ID:dancingbarbara7600

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

black horse Bayonet is a must! Shot my first score under par their so I'm a little biased.

#24 nfinch10

nfinch10

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

View Postb.hughes_10, on 28 September 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

Are you rory's brother? Haha judging from screen name. And yeah quail is semi private, good little course. In great shape right now, everything was punched a month ago and is pristeen. You could definitely get a good deal there aswell as tee time and only 15 minutes from Monterey. Better greens than Carmel valley ranch for sure.

Nailed it!  Did we meet one time that I was playing Quail?

#25 b.hughes_10

b.hughes_10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163973

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

View Postnfinch10, on 28 September 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

View Postb.hughes_10, on 28 September 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

Nailed it!  Did we meet one time that I was playing Quail?
Yeah, I'm the red headed kid that worked with rory. Also played mpc golf year after him.

#26 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

nfinch, born in SJ, raised in Los Altos and still have parents, brother and sister living in Los Altos. Lived there for 21 years and have spent the last 26 years living in SoCal but go up to Los Altos 3-5 times a year . Huge Sharks fan and all Bay Area pro teams and Stanford athletics.  Where in the South Bay are you? I was born off of Meridian Street and Curtner Ave in SJ. Every 10 years or so I drive by our childhood house and its so surreal how little it has changed! Still love the area...

#27 ironmikes

ironmikes

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43602
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

View Postslocagolfer, on 25 September 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

View Postironmikes, on 23 September 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

Glad to hear some love for Hunter Ranch. I live in the area and it's my favorite course in San Luis Obispo County. It is two hours away from Monterey, however.

I only got to play Hunter Ranch once while I was on my honeymoon. I really enjoyed the course and the staf that worked there. wish I had something like that in my state.  I an trying to get back to CA and play some more golf and will be sure Hunter is on my list. good point about the ride from Monterey , did not remember it being that far away.

Edited by ironmikes, 29 September 2012 - 07:53 AM.

#28 SkyyDesigns

SkyyDesigns

Nor-Cal Scratch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63350
  • Handicap:+2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

I play in Monterey over 20 times a year...Spyglass is by far my favorite course public wise. Bayonet and Blackhorse are a must and for the price cannot be beat you get a tough test as well as ocean views unlike Poppy Hills. Carmel Valley Ranch, Spanish Bay, Pasadera, and if you travel within a hour Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz is a must play and in my top 5 all time favorite courses. I mostly play Spyglass and Bayonet cause they are the 2 toughest in the Monterey area. Pebble I've played many times and is a must but for half the price Spanish Bay gives you actually more ocean holes and is more of a true links, and in my opinion the easiest of the Pebble resort courses besides maybe Del Monte. All in all you are In a beautiful place any golf course down there will make you truly at peace especially Pebble just cause the history and prestige. I tell all people who play at the resort courses a caddy is a must and also to walk cause no carts allowed on course except Spanish Bay. Spy is a tough walk but you will have more time to enjoy the ambiance and take in the full experience.
SLDR 430 TP 9* Matrix Ozik 7m3 X
SLDR TP/RBZ Tour P 15* & 19* 7m3 X
TaylorMade MB 3-9 KBS CTaper X
Titleist Vokey SM4 48-54-60 KBS blk/grn
Adidas-Coach-Versace
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5

#29 Matty T

Matty T

Keen to give it a pump

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193348
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:mtheobald-us
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:40 AM

Just got back from Monterey visiting my little brother. We played bayonet and laguna seca, and would recommend both.

Edited by Matty T, 30 September 2012 - 12:41 AM.

Titleist 910D3 10.5* VTS Silver 7X
Titleist 910F 15* VTS Silver 7X
Titleist 910H 21* VTS Red 100X
Adams CMB 3-P, SM4 50.12* DG X100's
54.11*, 58.08* DG S400
Scotty Cameron Studio select Newport 2
WITB Link

#30 duffer987

duffer987

Approach shot on the Alps.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 906

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

I haven't played the big money (ie. $200+) rounds, so have not played Pebble or Spyglass (will be playing it within the next 8 months), but have played many of the one's you are asking about.

Assuming you are flying into SFO, SJC, or OAK, then you can hit Half Moon Bay Ocean Course on your way down, spend the night in Santa Cruz (some nice restos there too), play Pasatiempo the next day and then spend the rest of your trip in Monterey. Once in Monterey, Bayonet is just awesome. I have played it twice and it might be my favorite non-links course. Pacific Grove is simply great fun. It is modest and really only the 6 genuine linksand holes make it what it is. Which is still great.

NOT a Good Player, can't break 70 ;)
SLDR 12* | Cleveland Classic XL 15.5*
Titleist 913H 21*
Cally XHP 4I - 5I | X-Forged 6I - PW
Cally Forged 54* | Scotty Del Mar
http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors