Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What happened to Northwestern?

44 replies to this topic

#31 brianV

brianV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 273007
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

I have in my bag / basement two nearly identical putters that I think were made by Northwestern.

The first is a Pro Select 'Select Edition 4" putter, more or less identical to this one on eBay. The second is a 'Powerpoint by Tour Select' putter - can't find similar online.

The both have the same 'Tour Match' grips and 'Acculite' shafts. One has a 'Pro Select' foil sticker on the shaft; the other has a 'Tour Select' foil sticker.

The heads are identical in shape, except for the different stamps in the base. Also, the Tour Select has a basketball-like pebble in the centre of the face / sweet spot.

Anyways, both these putters are, at least in my hands, surprisingly good... I tried to look this equipment up online, and from what I can tell, Tour Select was one of Northwestern's brand names. Given that these are nearly identical clubs, I presume 'Pro Select' was another Northwestern brand name.

Does anyone know anything more about these two putters? I suspect they were both cheap K-mart gear... I'm just surprised how good they feel.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 ScooterMcTavish

ScooterMcTavish

Working on his mojo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61226
GolfWRX Likes : 343

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

I'm not 100% sure of this, but if memory serves correct, the Northwestern name had really developed negative connotations by the 90s.  I remember my first new 7 piece set, Northwestern "Classics" which were muscle back 3, 5, 7, 9 irons, and a 1+3 solid plastic woods.  Yecccch.  Though the price was right from Woolco.

So I think they started marketing more clubs under the "Pro Select" badge, which was reserved for mid-level retailers such as Sears.  Northwesterns likely still showed up for a bit in the bargain retailers (K-Mart), but those too eventually turned into Pro Select.  Then they went under.

Except for their really crappy stuff, I never had a problem with their gear - my brother had a set of their higher-level clubs (likely $350 in 1986), and they were well-made CB irons with decent metal woods.  Putters are a funny animal though.  I once had a Northwestern putter similar in design to the one you highlighted on eBay, and I hated it.  Almost like it was out of balance or something.

This being said, you can putt with just about anything if you like it and are comfortable with it.  Though I typically run screaming from any putter with a graphite shaft.  Seriously?
Eye2 1W
Hogan Persimmon 3, 5w Apex 5 Pro
Maxfli 1973 Flatbacks, 3-PW
Wilson Harmonized DW
MacGregor Tommy Armour Colokrom 11i
Dunlop LIII Putter
WITB Link

#33 cmusic

cmusic

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30867
  • Ebay ID:cmusic3300
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

When I was on my HS golf team (1988-1989) I had a teammate with a set of Northwestern clubs he bought new from K-Mart.  In two seasons of play, the grooves wore off his most used irons (6-PW).   I've seen other clubs with worn grooves, but they were well over 10 years old.  He really liked the soft feel of the irons, because they were soft pot metal.
Ping G30 w/ Motore Speeder 661x
Callaway X2Hot 3-Deep & 5-Deep
Titleist 910H 19 set to 21.5
Mizuno MP-59 w/ UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Titleist SM4 54 & 60 w/ DG S200
Odyssey Metal X #7

#34 brianV

brianV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 273007

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostScooterMcTavish, on 09 October 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

I'm not 100% sure of this, but if memory serves correct, the Northwestern name had really developed negative connotations by the 90s.  I remember my first new 7 piece set, Northwestern "Classics" which were muscle back 3, 5, 7, 9 irons, and a 1+3 solid plastic woods.  Yecccch.  Though the price was right from Woolco.

So I think they started marketing more clubs under the "Pro Select" badge, which was reserved for mid-level retailers such as Sears.  Northwesterns likely still showed up for a bit in the bargain retailers (K-Mart), but those too eventually turned into Pro Select.  Then they went under.

Except for their really crappy stuff, I never had a problem with their gear - my brother had a set of their higher-level clubs (likely $350 in 1986), and they were well-made CB irons with decent metal woods.  Putters are a funny animal though.  I once had a Northwestern putter similar in design to the one you highlighted on eBay, and I hated it.  Almost like it was out of balance or something.

This being said, you can putt with just about anything if you like it and are comfortable with it.  Though I typically run screaming from any putter with a graphite shaft.  Seriously?

Ok, thanks for the info. Yeah, I agree that putters are funny like that. If you are used to a specific 'feel', anything else that comes along that doesn't feel the same will initially feel worse in a sense.

#35 NRJyzr

NRJyzr

The answer to life, the universe, and everything, is 42

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72626
  • Ebay ID:n.r.jyzr
GolfWRX Likes : 270

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

View PostbrianV, on 09 October 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

I presume 'Pro Select' was another Northwestern brand name.

Indeed it was.  

There was a time in the late 90s when a Pro Select driver was produced (the Black Plasma IIRC, it was under 250cc, that should give you the time frame), it had some form of ceramic treating to the face.  The face was harder than anything else on the market, so it was claimed, and was said to produce some rather healthy results.

Of course, because of the Pro Select name, it wasn't likely to go anywhere.

I nearly acquired one in 1999 or so.  There were a LOT of positive reviews on it.

Nike Covert Tour 2.0, 10.5 open, NV75 X
3w TM Stage 2 Tour 14.5 RUL80 X
3h TM Stage 2 Tour 18.5 Altus X
3-PW Golden Ram TW276, Precision 6.5
Scratch 53 (DGX100) & 58 (DGS400)
Snake Eyes Tour Platinum 7815

#36 Seadweller

Seadweller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107636
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

Awesome stories Tom.  Thank you.

View PostTomWishon, on 06 November 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

View Postlefty76, on 05 November 2012 - 07:21 PM, said:

Last week, Nat Rosasco Senior passed away.  

WOW, that's too bad and I am sorry to hear that.  Nat was without question the last "character" in the golf equipment business, one about whom you could say really was larger than life.  A couple of my best memories of things in my life in the golf equipment business can be attributed to Nat Sr.

In 1984 when I was doing research for my first book, The Golf Club Identification and Price Guide, a big part of the book was to be a somewhat detailed synopsis of all the equipment companies who were going to have their club models listed in the book.  I made a trip to Chicago to interview people with the then several golf companies located there to get their history.

I interviewed Nat personally and was able to do so in his office.  WHAT AN OFFICE it was!  it was all done in ornate Louis XVI furniture and art, perhaps a little gaudy, but definitely a show and definitely "Nat".  Their office and factory at this time was right in the middle of old Chicago, right next to a branch of the elevated train, so stories about possible involvement between Nat, Northwestern, and the old Chicago mob were passed around the industry a lot.  Probably none of them were true because Nat and his bother LeRoy were very upstanding guys, but given Nat's image and the company's location, one could definitely wonder!

During my interview, Nat did tell a story about a day when a number of guys from GOLF magazine were coming to his office to interview him for an article on the company.  Most of the GOLF mag guys were vets and long time friends of Nat, but one of them was a green, wet behind the ears writer, a real rookie.  So the GOLF mag vets along with Nat thought that it would be appropriate if they would pull this newcomer's leg a little during their visit.

While sitting in the reception area on the second floor outside Nat's office, the veteran GOLF mag guys started to wind this kid's chain, making up stories about Northwestern's alleged mob involvement and planting the seed that possibly Northwestern was one of the mob's top money laundering places.  This kid's eyes apparently were getting larger with each yarn the GOLF mag vets were spinning.

Finally Nat comes out to greet them, and being in on the joke, down the hall with Nat comes one of his employees in his janitor's uniform, with a big laundry bag hoisted over his shoulder.  As the guy walks past the GOLF mag guys, Nat says to the janitor, ". . . and you be sure to take real good care of that "laundry" because we wouldn't want to lose it."  The kid's eyes were as big as silver dollars as he watched what he thought was the "money launderer" head down the stairs with a sack of currency over his shoulder!

That was Nat and God bless him.  I wish this industry had more like him, but we're all happy he was a part of this industry and left some great accomplishments and memories.

TOM

Cobra Amp Cell 10.5 Degrees GD G60 R
TM R5 Ti Fairway 3 and 5
Cleveland HiBore Hybrid 3H 4H
Mizuno MX23 MP 32 Combo Set
Mizuno MP Wedges 52 56 60
Titleist SC Select Newport 2

#37 driverhead

driverhead

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2121
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

i remember in the late 70s the Powerkick shafts and clubs having them created a buzz.

#38 Badgergolfer2

Badgergolfer2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190300
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

My brother had a set of Northwesterns in the late '90s that he bought at Farm and Fleet in Janesville, WI.  They were decent clubs but had graphite shafts that were pretty whippy.

#39 HackerDave

HackerDave

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57404
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

My first set of clubs were Northwesterns.   My father bought them for me as a Christmas gift (I think) probably around 1978 or so.   I'm sure they came from either Kmart or Montgomery Wards at the time.    Didn't really pickup the game back then but did go to the range a few times a year.   For all I know, they may still be buried in my Mom's garage.

#40 super20dan

super20dan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139761
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 198

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

iforgot about the powerpiont shaft. i have a 3 wood i used to crush with one in it. one of the best sand wedges i have ever used is a northwestern. has almost no bounce. picks the ball clean from tight lies. real players club.ladies model has nancy lopez on it-mens has gary player on it. its better than any other wedge i have seen. just a killer club. also have a 13 wood -i kid not!

73 hogan apex

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 dando

dando

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178144
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:jdandridge-uk

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

hi guys,
I have my eyes on a lefty set of Northwestern signature blades on ebay here in the uk with a starting bid of £25 - they look in pretty good condition and I am seriously tempted to make an offer on them.

Does anyone on here have any info on them as I cant find anything on the net about them

thanks,

#42 bermuda

bermuda

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42877
  • Ebay ID:al_neri
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for the replies to this thread. I heard Bob Murphy on PGA Tour satellite radio the other day, and it made me think, "Whatever happened to Northwestern?"

I started playing golf seriously around 1980 when I was 12, and my friends and I noticed that Northwestern was the K Mart brand. When one of us would hit a really bad shot, we'd say, "Maybe you could be on the Northwestern staff like Bob Murphy."

Later on when I learned a little more about him, I realized he had been a pretty darn good golfer and probably wasn't playing what was on the rack at K Mart.

#43 bullrambler

bullrambler

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201389
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

Nice thing about Northwesterns were that almost anyone could buy them and get out on the course.

#44 golfisnotforfun

golfisnotforfun

Muni Player

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 277237
  • Handicap:2.3
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:21 PM

Hi. Googled Chico Miartuz and this thread came up.

My first clubs were a set of Northwestern Chi Chi Rodriguez with very flexy aluminum shafts. Never been able to get away from the hook since. As far as the old Tomahawk clubs, I think Bryan Symonds, owner of the course where I live, Winston Trails, has the license to reproduce them. Last I talked to him they were being sold in Sports Authority (several years ago).

I use to be an assistant at Bayshore, where Chico taught. He helped me tremendously with my game. Been struggling and trying to remember what he taught me. "Communism is the right hand, democracy the left" "Hold the club like you hold your p****", Etc. Chico's teaching style was one of a kind but he got results.

Lefty, I think I use to play with you in the Clevelander game. Hows life? Or are you Lefty from the Bayshore Par 3. If so how the heck are you? If you know how Chico is doing give me a holler.

Up in Palm beach now if you ever want to play.

Danny Brooks

Edited by golfisnotforfun, 03 September 2014 - 07:26 PM.

#45 cazio

cazio

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92609
  • Handicap:15

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:22 PM

Great thread, brings back fond memories. In Ohio we had a Kidding's auto store that sold auto parts (of course) also sold fishing and golf equipment and a ton of it was Northwestern as well as Wilson. My first full set of irons was a set of Wilson Autographed Mickey Wright, I didn't know Mickey was a women but didn't bother me when my uncle proudly told me I was playing women clubs as I hit them great, I even went back and bought a Laura Baugh SW. Like I said fond memories.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors