Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Garmin G5 vs. G6


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Flyersby99

Flyersby99

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60877
  • Joined: 07/19/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

My question is do you think the G6 is worth the extra $$$$.

What are the main differences other than size of the units?

What does the G6 do or do better then the G5?

Is one better in the display or use?

I've heard talk about the Garmin not showing trees on their maps?  Is that the case?  Does one or the other show trees?  I have some screen shots and it does not seem to show trees?

Any thoughts are appreciated.  I would gladly pay a few more bucks for the G6 but do not want to if I am not getting anything from the unit that the G5 does not produce.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 chas521

chas521

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52886
  • Joined: 04/03/2008
  • Location:Long Island, NY
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:26 AM

Extra money not worth it IMO.  G5 maps DO show trees.

#3 freed0m

freed0m

    Thugged Out Since Cub Scouts

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72296
  • Joined: 01/09/2009
  • Location:SF, Bay Area
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

I have both, and preferred the G6 over the G5 for the following reasons:

1. G6 Screen resolution is much better to me especially in bright day light
2. G6 compact size fits better in pocket (if needed)
3. G6 Acquired courses a bit faster (both have the latest firmware)
4. G6 Active hole changes is better as well (I have to manually change to next hole on the G5 at times)

The G5 casing/housing seems much more rugged, the following are assigned to my boys: G5 goes to my 10 yrs and the G6 is being used by my 13 yrs.

Edited by freed0m, 17 September 2012 - 11:37 AM.


#4 Flyersby99

Flyersby99

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60877
  • Joined: 07/19/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

View Postfreed0m, on 17 September 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

I have both, and preferred the G6 over the G5 for the following reasons:

1. G6 Screen resolution is much better to me especially in bright day light
2. G6 compact size fits better in pocket (if needed)
3. G6 Acquired courses a bit faster (both have the latest firmware)
4. G6 Active hole changes is better as well (I have to manually change to next hole on the G5 at times)

The G5 casing/housing seems much more rugged, the following are assigned to my boys: G5 goes to my 10 yrs and the G6 is being used by my 13 yrs.


Thanks for the reply.  I was curious as to the thoughts of the screen visibility and map details.  Seems like you think the G6 is better in that department.  I am not overly concerned about the details and extras with scoring and such.  I am really just looking at which screen details are better and visible and which may be easier to use.  Thanks again.

#5 freed0m

freed0m

    Thugged Out Since Cub Scouts

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72296
  • Joined: 01/09/2009
  • Location:SF, Bay Area
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:08 AM

The hole details are very similar between the G6 and G5, to me the screen resolution on the G6 is much crisper.


#6 dmalli

dmalli

    Puma Freak

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194114
  • Joined: 07/23/2012
  • Location:Iowa
  • Ebay ID:dmalli7
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:03 AM

Other than crispness, does the g5 stack close to the g6. Like OP said, I don't need the scoring and drive tracking. So if you didn't need those, is the g5 a better buy or would you still get the g6? Money not a huge concern.

#7 Flyersby99

Flyersby99

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60877
  • Joined: 07/19/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

Any other thoughts on this?  I am looking to pull the trigger on one in the next week or so.

#8 Big Ben

Big Ben

    Hall of Fame

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
  • Joined: 04/21/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 363

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

I really like my G5, I've owned it since it was first introduced without any issues, very solid construction. I agree the visibility could be a little better but if I use lithium batteries it does improve. I haven't converted to the G6 simply based on design, doesn't seem nearly as durable and honestly I do not like the smaller size...BB

Edited by Big Ben, 25 September 2012 - 05:46 PM.

Ping i20
Cally XHot Pro
Titty 913H, Adams DHy, Titty 712u
Ping S55's
Titty TVD-M's, PVD
Machine M10A

#9 dbdors

dbdors

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139771
  • Joined: 09/23/2011
  • Location:Houston, Clear Lake area
  • Ebay ID:dbdors
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

I don't own either, but thinking about switching to Garmin.  The G6 logs shot distance by club.  I haven't found another GPS that does that.  I may not be important to many, but I would like it on my Skycaddie SG5.

#10 bensinep

bensinep

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 198508
  • Joined: 08/16/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

The G6 is significantly smaller than the G5. The G6 is the same form factor as the Edge 800 Cycling GPS. The G5 is based on the Oregon hiking GPS.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#11 ej002

ej002

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,476 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27552
  • Joined: 04/06/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 500

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

I like the fact that the G5 uses regular batteries. I bought sanyo rechargeable batteries and I keep a spare set in my bag.  These last 36 holes + by round 3, I just swap them out.  I don't have to worry about whether I charged my unit the night before.  I really like mine.  I thin there is a comparison thread out there already and I remember reading a few critcisms about the g6, I just dont recall what they were.

#12 Flyersby99

Flyersby99

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60877
  • Joined: 07/19/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

Well I decided on the G5.  I found it on TGW for $219 new which is $80 cheaper than the G5.  I do not think the G6 is worth the extra cash for a slighly better viewing screen which to me is offset by the fact the G5 is a noticeably larger screen.  I know the G6 has worldwide courses and some other scoring options (stableford/skins) but these are features I will never use.  Basic stats like fairways, putts and greens are enough for me.  I like that they both track distances for clubs and shots.

Two main differences I found are the overall sizes and AA battery vs. chargeable battery.  I was able to handle both and for some reason I liked the G5.  I know it is bigger but seems so sturdy and durable to me and is ergonomically designed so it is easy to handle with one hand.

I know the battery issue is a love hate thing but I like using batteries.  It seems the rechargeable/lithium batteries get you 2 full rounds so that is fine with me.  I also like being able to stash some standard AA's in my bag in the event I forget to charge them up.  If you forget with the G6 battery you are out of luck.  I realize this is an added expense but is worth it to me.

#13 freed0m

freed0m

    Thugged Out Since Cub Scouts

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72296
  • Joined: 01/09/2009
  • Location:SF, Bay Area
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

@Flyersby99 - You'll like your new G5, it is a solid golf GPS system.

#14 Flyersby99

Flyersby99

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60877
  • Joined: 07/19/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

View Postfreed0m, on 28 September 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

@Flyersby99 - You'll like your new G5, it is a solid golf GPS system.

Freed0m- you are correct.  I have used the unit twice and love it.  Some say it is bulky but to me fits nice in my hand and feels rugged.  I am using Duracell rechargeables and have not really had any issues with viewing the screen.  I have played 2 rounds of 18 holes and the batteriers are still going.  I have a set of regular AA's in my bag in the even these were to run out during the round.

#15 gigemaggs99

gigemaggs99

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205529
  • Joined: 10/02/2012
  • Location:Bryan, Texas
  • Handicap:8.9
  • Ebay ID:gigemaggs99
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

Questions as I'm doing research on these different GPS devices, narrowing it down to the Garmin G5 vs G6.

G6 says it compiles data on your different clubs, the G5 also says it does this but makes it sound like this is something you have to access on you PC??? Does the G6 show you on the actual device or does it require PC access too? If so how is the G6 better in this feature?

How does the GPS calculate putts? Since the GPS is not on the actual ball, do you have to have the device on your person (ie. belt clip) at all times? I was thinking of getting one, then leaving it on my Clic Gear 3.0...but was wondering how it will account for my putts as I will leave my trolley off the green while putting? How does it calculate your putts?

When I search Amazon for G5's there is a "new version" and an "old version". I can't see any differences except in prices....anyone have details on the differences?

Thanks.

1W, 3W, 7W.. Taylormade RBZ stage 2
Irons... Titleist DCI Gold 4-PW
Wedges... Titleist DCI Gold 52*, 56*
Putter...Odyssey Backstryke Marxman
Ball... Nike PD Soft
http://www.gamegolf....layer/gigemaggs

#16 chas521

chas521

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52886
  • Joined: 04/03/2008
  • Location:Long Island, NY
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

View Postgigemaggs99, on 14 October 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

Questions as I'm doing research on these different GPS devices, narrowing it down to the Garmin G5 vs G6.

G6 says it compiles data on your different clubs, the G5 also says it does this but makes it sound like this is something you have to access on you PC??? Does the G6 show you on the actual device or does it require PC access too? If so how is the G6 better in this feature?

How does the GPS calculate putts? Since the GPS is not on the actual ball, do you have to have the device on your person (ie. belt clip) at all times? I was thinking of getting one, then leaving it on my Clic Gear 3.0...but was wondering how it will account for my putts as I will leave my trolley off the green while putting? How does it calculate your putts?

When I search Amazon for G5's there is a "new version" and an "old version". I can't see any differences except in prices....anyone have details on the differences?

Thanks.

I can't answer about putts but doesn't Amazon say "new or used" instead of old?  Did you look at EBAY?

#17 gigemaggs99

gigemaggs99

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205529
  • Joined: 10/02/2012
  • Location:Bryan, Texas
  • Handicap:8.9
  • Ebay ID:gigemaggs99
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

View Postchas521, on 15 October 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

View Postgigemaggs99, on 14 October 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

Questions as I'm doing research on these different GPS devices, narrowing it down to the Garmin G5 vs G6.

G6 says it compiles data on your different clubs, the G5 also says it does this but makes it sound like this is something you have to access on you PC??? Does the G6 show you on the actual device or does it require PC access too? If so how is the G6 better in this feature?

How does the GPS calculate putts? Since the GPS is not on the actual ball, do you have to have the device on your person (ie. belt clip) at all times? I was thinking of getting one, then leaving it on my Clic Gear 3.0...but was wondering how it will account for my putts as I will leave my trolley off the green while putting? How does it calculate your putts?

When I search Amazon for G5's there is a "new version" and an "old version". I can't see any differences except in prices....anyone have details on the differences?

Thanks.

I can't answer about putts but doesn't Amazon say "new or used" instead of old?  Did you look at EBAY?

Number 1 says Garmin G5. Number 2 says Garmin G5 (old version). Was the "old version" not waterproof?

http://www.amazon.co...words=garmin g5
1W, 3W, 7W.. Taylormade RBZ stage 2
Irons... Titleist DCI Gold 4-PW
Wedges... Titleist DCI Gold 52*, 56*
Putter...Odyssey Backstryke Marxman
Ball... Nike PD Soft
http://www.gamegolf....layer/gigemaggs

#18 chas521

chas521

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52886
  • Joined: 04/03/2008
  • Location:Long Island, NY
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

View Postgigemaggs99, on 15 October 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

View Postchas521, on 15 October 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

View Postgigemaggs99, on 14 October 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

Questions as I'm doing research on these different GPS devices, narrowing it down to the Garmin G5 vs G6.

G6 says it compiles data on your different clubs, the G5 also says it does this but makes it sound like this is something you have to access on you PC??? Does the G6 show you on the actual device or does it require PC access too? If so how is the G6 better in this feature?

How does the GPS calculate putts? Since the GPS is not on the actual ball, do you have to have the device on your person (ie. belt clip) at all times? I was thinking of getting one, then leaving it on my Clic Gear 3.0...but was wondering how it will account for my putts as I will leave my trolley off the green while putting? How does it calculate your putts?

When I search Amazon for G5's there is a "new version" and an "old version". I can't see any differences except in prices....anyone have details on the differences?

Thanks.

I can't answer about putts but doesn't Amazon say "new or used" instead of old?  Did you look at EBAY?

Number 1 says Garmin G5. Number 2 says Garmin G5 (old version). Was the "old version" not waterproof?

http://www.amazon.co...words=garmin g5

The "old version" link says waterproof.  I have a G5 gotten from Amazon from last year and it works great.  Honestly, I don't know the difference.

#19 gigemaggs99

gigemaggs99

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205529
  • Joined: 10/02/2012
  • Location:Bryan, Texas
  • Handicap:8.9
  • Ebay ID:gigemaggs99
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

Ok, thank you sir. I think I'm leaning towards the G3. I guess the stat tracking is a cool idea but it seems like I would still need to access my PC in order to look at and analyze the data. I can manually enter my FIG, GIR, putts data. The G3 will also track my shot distance so I can better learn my yardages that way. The search continues LOL....
1W, 3W, 7W.. Taylormade RBZ stage 2
Irons... Titleist DCI Gold 4-PW
Wedges... Titleist DCI Gold 52*, 56*
Putter...Odyssey Backstryke Marxman
Ball... Nike PD Soft
http://www.gamegolf....layer/gigemaggs

#20 daverain1

daverain1

    CT Birdieman

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71605
  • Joined: 12/31/2008
  • Location:Southbury, CT
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

Back to the question about club distance tracking - ie keeps track of distance you hit each club if you enter them in first.  Do both units have this functionality ?  Is the software on the two units basically the same?  


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

    Team Golfwrx

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




#21 therev

therev

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139053
  • Joined: 09/13/2011
  • Ebay ID:revlikesgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

I just picked up my Christmas present.  I've had a Skycaddie sg3, old model forever!  My new gadget is a Garmin approach g5.  I just picked it up at Golfsmith for 179.00.  I think that's a pretty good price.  Can't wait to try it out.

#22 chas521

chas521

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52886
  • Joined: 04/03/2008
  • Location:Long Island, NY
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

View Posttherev, on 12 December 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

I just picked up my Christmas present.  I've had a Skycaddie sg3, old model forever!  My new gadget is a Garmin approach g5.  I just picked it up at Golfsmith for 179.00.  I think that's a pretty good price.  Can't wait to try it out.

I also have a G5.   You're gonna like it.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors