Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Swing by Swing app

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Onyx Z

Onyx Z

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129053
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

anyone use this app? it is named "Free Golf GPS & Scorecard" in the Play Store and the App Store. i havent heard of it before i got my new Galaxy S3 so it may be new.

this is the first app ive found that includes a practice area feature, which i REALLY like. im just curious if anyone has tested the accuracy on this thing.

for example, a tree i was shooting for downrange was shown to be around 225-230 yds and my 3 iron was dead on it every time. i never really thought my 3 iron went 230 yards. i was all over a flag with my PW at what this app stated to be around 150 yds or so. it does show the course yardages to be correct from checking it against the yardage book.

im using the free version for Android for now (center of green yardage, distance to any point on course, satellite view of any hole, measure shot distance), but the paid version, which is $14.00/year, includes the above plus front/back green view, club tracker, ability to review your round in 3D, track stats like putts, drive direction, etc.

IF these yardages are indeed correct, i would HIGHLY recommend this app!

i will post reviews on this app the more time i spend with it, and if any of you do try it out, please do the same!

Edited by Onyx Z, 11 September 2012 - 02:41 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 SketchyBFC

SketchyBFC

Code Monkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 198832
  • Ebay ID:sketchybfc
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

I use the paid version and it works great for me. The shot tracking facility is really good and the round replay is also really useful.

Never tested the accuracy on yardages; 185yd 6i seems a bit too long to me, but stacks up with the 175yd 7i & 150yd 9i that it reported for me today so consistency is good - in fact as long as you're using the app the consistency is arguably more use than the actual distance.

#3 Onyx Z

Onyx Z

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129053
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

View PostSketchyBFC, on 11 September 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

I use the paid version and it works great for me. The shot tracking facility is really good and the round replay is also really useful.

Never tested the accuracy on yardages; 185yd 6i seems a bit too long to me, but stacks up with the 175yd 7i & 150yd 9i that it reported for me today so consistency is good - in fact as long as you're using the app the consistency is arguably more use than the actual distance.

i agree, but if i can get my distances dialed down fairly consistenly on the range, it would be a huge help when moving over to the course.

FWIW, its been 20* cooler and less humid than usual, so that may be contributing to the increased distance. ill have to test is out where i know the exact distances to verify the accuracy.

#4 BogeyKing

BogeyKing

Taylormade Addict

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206001
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

Really like the free version. Yardages are accurate enough for me on all the courses I play on and if I ever question the yardage I refer to the course book. It is nice for a quick mobile reference. I definitely recommend it.

#5 DrunkenTiger

DrunkenTiger

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152081
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

I use the free version on my Galaxy S3 as well sinze I just need the distance to the center of the green; it seems pretty accurate and the seeking time is fast too.

TM RBZ 10.5*, 3W 15*, 3H 19*
TM TP CB 4-PW, AW 51*
TM ATV 56*, 60*
Odyssey White Hot Pro #7

#6 slodsm

slodsm

Hack artist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184330
  • Ebay ID:slodsm01

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

I used it most of the year with success but I recently dropped it in favor of golfshot. When you get within 50 yards of the green (sometimes further away) it automatically goes to the page to enter your score. I don't want that to happen, I want yardage until I ask to enter the score because I need to know do I need to attempt this shot with a full lob wedge or an easy sand wedge? That little flaw drove me absolutely insane so when golfshot went on sale for 20 bucks I snatched it up and never looked back.

Other than that, I loved swing by swing.

#7 SketchyBFC

SketchyBFC

Code Monkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 198832
  • Ebay ID:sketchybfc

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

View Postslodsm, on 18 October 2012 - 07:26 PM, said:

I used it most of the year with success but I recently dropped it in favor of golfshot. When you get within 50 yards of the green (sometimes further away) it automatically goes to the page to enter your score. I don't want that to happen, I want yardage until I ask to enter the score because I need to know do I need to attempt this shot with a full lob wedge or an easy sand wedge? That little flaw drove me absolutely insane so when golfshot went on sale for 20 bucks I snatched it up and never looked back.

Other than that, I loved swing by swing.

Sounds like the hole change point needs re-setting for you course(s), you can do this yourself through the website - I've had to do it for two holes on a course i play regularly.  I like the 'community updating' feature of the app.

#8 ddwells05

ddwells05

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191774
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

I used it for a few months. A good app but it killed my battery. Could never make it through a whole round. I just switched to skydroid golf. Try it out tomorrow.

#9 ddwells05

ddwells05

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191774
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

I used it for a few months. A good app but it killed my battery. Could never make it through a whole round. I just switched to skydroid golf. Try it out tomorrow.

#10 billybaroo

billybaroo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20513
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

I am very pleased with this app, for a freebie i am even more impressed.  I use a ancient Droid X and can get 36 holes on many occasions, certainly no problem with 18.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 DBo9

DBo9

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 220219
  • Handicap:8.6
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

I have friends with garmin watch, Motorola watch and one with the Bushnell lazer and the most I have been off using swing by swing was 3 yards. It could be 10 yrds difference and id still be happy with it, considering its free. Not to mention scorecard and tracking

#12 5yddraw

5yddraw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 226369
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

This is a great app.  I tried the Looper for $14 per year and I am happy with the app.  Excellent GPS, scorecard, and stat tracking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors