Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golfing in NYC

NYC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rrwells

rrwells

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 202177
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

Hey folks - I've been living in NYC for several years now and decided to pick the sticks up again and hit the courses. I played my whole life but put in on hold in recent years but would like to get going again on it. However, there's not much in the area for golf!

Any recommendations of nearby courses, or ways to get back to playing (or golf teams)? The Chelsea Piers are there for practicing but would be great actually get on a course. Open for suggestions for sure.

Thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7874
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 295

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:10 AM

Do you have a car? If not, take the LIRR to Bethpage. There are five courses there, including the Black, which will test you pretty well. There are also a few other courses that are reasonably reachable without a car. If you have a car (or access to zipcar or something like that), then there are myriad options. Loads out on LI and in NJ. There's a ton of golf around and if you have a vast amount of money, then some of it is very handy for the city (like Liberty National and Bayonne).
Nike Covert Tour 2.0 9.5 left
Titleist 910F 15 Ahina 73x
Titleist 714CB 2, 3, 4
Titleist 714MB 5-PW
Scor 52 and 56
Machine M2A Converter

#3 sabram

sabram

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31296
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

Here are some suggestions for golf in the NY metropolitan area:  http://golfcourses.w...o-nyc-area.html

#4 Titleist212

Titleist212

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190142
  • Ebay ID:buttaz211

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

I live in NYC and getting around can be tough.  I have a car, but if you don't, split a Zipcar with a few buddies - its a good option.  As far as public courses go, some of your best options are as follows:

1. Crystal Springs in Hamburg, NJ - you need a car, but these courses are ALWAYS in top shape.  Four different courses to play, with varying difficulty.
2. Bethpage - don't just have to play Black, Red has always been a favorite of mine.  Reservations can be tough.
3.  Harbor Links in Port Washington, LI - very nice course which is always well taken care of.
4.  Centennial in Upstate NY - About an hour outside of the city, great all around golf experience.

#5 rrwells

rrwells

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 202177

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

Great, this is terrific advice. Thanks!

#6 JNUGE

JNUGE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135773

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

It definitely helps to have a car.  I live in the city and I would recommend the following.  Dont waste your money at Pound Ridge, no matter what anyone tells you.

* The Links at Unionvale
* Patriot Hills Golf Course
* Hudson Hills Golf Course
* Mohansic Golf Course
* All the courses at Crystal Springs.

#7 JNUGE

JNUGE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135773

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

View PostJNUGE, on 13 September 2012 - 06:59 PM, said:

It definitely helps to have a car.  I live in the city and I would recommend the following.  Dont waste your money at Pound Ridge, no matter what anyone tells you.

* The Links at Unionvale
* Patriot Hills Golf Course
* Hudson Hills Golf Course
* Mohansic Golf Course
* All the courses at Crystal Springs.
  Ohh and two more Blue Hill in Pearl River and Rockland Lake in Conger (Championship Course) are both about as good a value for muni golf as you'll find in NY.

#8 jed6293

jed6293

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189576
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

I have played with some nyc guys before in jersey....some that are only 30 min out are....emerson and paramus wont kill you with prices and arent crazy tracks..

#9 Kevinmcfl

Kevinmcfl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 222319

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

All previously mentioned are good but for NYC  people take the hour or so treks to jersey for Wild Turkey, Architects and Neshanic Valley.  All wonderful courses.  I live north of the city and still go to all of them every year.

Also tagged with NYC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors