Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Do you count it as a putt?

79 replies to this topic

#1 strick13

strick13

√(-1) <3 Golf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196780
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

This may sound like an extremely dumb question, but what the heck. When counting your putts, say if you are off the green but still want to putt it anyways when you could easily chip but are choosing to putt. Will you still count the putt to your final putts for the day? Just wondering what you guys thought.

Ping Anser 9.5* Diamana 'ahina 70S
Ping Anser 14.5* TFC 800FS
Ping i20 20* TFC 707-HS
Mizuno MX-23
WITB Link
Scotty Cameron Newport Mil-Spec
Ping Anser 52*/58* DG Spinner

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

JNRadio

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44297
GolfWRX Likes : 689

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

Nope it has to be on green to be counted as a putt

#3 strick13

strick13

√(-1) <3 Golf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196780

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

View Postjnradioactive, on 03 September 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

Nope it has to be on green to be counted as a putt

Ha, wow, thanks I would've never guessed that.
Ping Anser 9.5* Diamana 'ahina 70S
Ping Anser 14.5* TFC 800FS
Ping i20 20* TFC 707-HS
Mizuno MX-23
WITB Link
Scotty Cameron Newport Mil-Spec
Ping Anser 52*/58* DG Spinner

#4 Rdjr

Rdjr

Das Boot

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156793
  • Handicap:+0.9
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

In my head if I'm just off the green on the fringe and I putt, I consider it a putt. Even though it's technically not. If I use my putter for 3 strokes, to me anyway, it's a 3 putt.

#5 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2250

This is one of those topics that gets thrown around every now and again. professionals only count balls struck on the putting green as a putt for statistical purposes but for you and me, that information is really for our own benefit tracking what we need to work on. So If i am within a foot or 2 of the green on some fringe or fairway that makes putting the best possible play, i will count it as a putt. If i am 5 feet away, and have to use my putter as the least crappy of crappy options and hit it through fairway and then the fringe then i will likely not count as so. To me it does zero good to hit 5 balls on the fringe knock them all to tap in range and then at the end of the round say hey i only had 28 putts today!

RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#6 pr123

pr123

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128243
GolfWRX Likes : 24

i count it as a putt to try to stay accurate with my putting stats.
910D3
SLDR 15*
Raylor 19*
AP2 712 4-P
Edel
Edel 51,55,59

#7 CallawayLefty

CallawayLefty

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95918
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

I usually count a putt as anything where I have a putter in my hands.  My home course has about a 5' circle of fairway mowed around most of the greens, so I routinely opt to putt from the fringe.  When I think about how many putts I had in a round, for most purposes, I include those in my putts figure.  It's not like I have to turn in stats for the tour or something, so it's all for my information anyway.  But I don't like to hide any shortcomings in rigging the stats.  If I was a foot off the green and grabbed putter, I count it as a putt.

#8 duffer987

duffer987

Approach shot on the Alps.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 834

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

If we're playing snake, then only on the green it would be a putt; however, as others have said if you're just on the fringe and you make a putt, counting it as such will give you a better indication as where your shots have come from over 18 holes.
NOT a Good Player, can't break 70 ;)
SLDR 12* | Cleveland Classic XL 15.5*
Titleist 913H 21*
Cally XHP 4I - 5I | X-Forged 6I - PW
Cally Forged 54* | Scotty Del Mar
http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList

#9 tec333

tec333

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27654
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

I only count it as a putt when it's on the green.  Otherwise it kind of messes with your GIR stats...how can you miss the green and still 2 putt for par on a hole?

If you are going to count it a green in regulation when it's off the fringe then I guess - yes count it as a putt.

#10 jwrogers

jwrogers

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5343
GolfWRX Likes : 229

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

View Postpr123, on 03 September 2012 - 08:26 PM, said:

i count it as a putt to try to stay accurate with my putting stats.

If it's not on the green, it's not a putt.  Otherwise your putting stats are just a guess, because the limit isn't defined.   Is 2 feet off the green a putt?   5 feet?  10 feet?   20 feet, but the grass is really cut tight?  

Just do it the way the PGA Tour does.   Their putting stats are pretty reliable.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2321

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

View PostKYMAR, on 03 September 2012 - 08:26 PM, said:

This is one of those topics that gets thrown around every now and again. professionals only count balls struck on the putting green as a putt for statistical purposes but for you and me, that information is really for our own benefit tracking what we need to work on. So If i am within a foot or 2 of the green on some fringe or fairway that makes putting the best possible play, i will count it as a putt. If i am 5 feet away, and have to use my putter as the least crappy of crappy options and hit it through fairway and then the fringe then i will likely not count as so. To me it does zero good to hit 5 balls on the fringe knock them all to tap in range and then at the end of the round say hey i only had 28 putts today!

This is exactly what I do.  If it's on the fringe and looking and acting like a putt, then yes.  If it's farther back and looking and acting like a chip, then no.

either way obviously, I still count it as a missed green.
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#12 Vindog

Vindog

Cuddly as a cactus, charming as an eel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131959
GolfWRX Likes : 2321

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

FYI I don't really keep putting "stats", just memory of how I have been putting and how the ball is rolling.

I do, however keep GIR stats, which is why I count them as missed greens, even if I "count" them as putts...
run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

#13 596

Get in, buckle up and hold on !

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122006
GolfWRX Likes : 396

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

BUT.........if you are 12" onto the fringe and use the putter and count it as a putt, then without making adjustments, your stats could show that it was a par with 2 putts, hence a green in regulation, when technically it was a missed green.  A ball on the fringe is not a green in regulation.  A ball putt from the fringe is not a putt, it's technically a chip.

If you allow a computer program, such as Skycaddie, to keep your stats, you'll need to record that as a chip, so the program knows you missed the green, unless you are counting the fringe as a green in regulation.

So eother way you count it either as a putt from the fringe or a green in regulation, they are both technically wrong and will show up wrong in your stats in a computer program.

#14 golfpros1

golfpros1

So I got that going for me, which is nice.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105178
GolfWRX Likes : 755

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

View Poststrick13, on 03 September 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

This may sound like an extremely dumb question, but what the heck. When counting your putts, say if you are off the green but still want to putt it anyways when you could easily chip but are choosing to putt. Will you still count the putt to your final putts for the day? Just wondering what you guys thought.

If you want to keep your stats like the pros, if it's not on the green, it doesn't count toward your total putts.  HOWEVER, if you want to keep stats to improve your game, imo, if you're putting, you should count it.  

Here's why: if you three jack that green, the stats wont show it, nor reveal the lag putting fell short and needed work on that green (if not in general).  To me, that's important to know.

Some ask, but is there a distance off the green limit, and I say NO.  If you decide to putt, you are challenging your putting skills, and those skills from off the green need to be as sharp as on the green, and the stats should reflect that.

Edited by golfpros1, 03 September 2012 - 09:00 PM.

#15 Rdjr

Rdjr

Das Boot

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156793
  • Handicap:+0.9
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

One of those subjects where "technically" will be used a lot.

#16 dartboss04

dartboss04

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166903
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

Argued with someone else about this on another thread.  You do whatever you want to track as long as you are consistent in what you consider a putt.  Like kymar and vin,  if I'm within a yard of the green on the fringe, using a putter, that is a putt.  It is more useful to me to know that I three putted there than the alternative which is a failed up and down.

In terms of GIR, I realize that it will show a GIR hit trough my stat tracker (I use oobgolf), but that is fine with me.  If I'm within a yard of the green that is close enough for my purposes at least where I am with my game.  I know i cannot compare my numbers to anyone else because im using the stat differently, but I can try to improve upon my stats.

#17 dartboss04

dartboss04

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166903
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

That is true if you are on the PGA tour and track stats in the same exact way.  I'm nowhere near as accurate as a pro so a shot within a yard of the green on the fringe may be a good shot to me.  I use the canned stat program on oobgolf but in my own way.  GIR for my purposes is on the green or within a yard on fringe.  The definition is arbitrary as long as I'm consistent in how I track and my definition.  I'm not comparing my stats to anyone else so the definition can change.

View Post596, on 03 September 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

BUT.........if you are 12" onto the fringe and use the putter and count it as a putt, then without making adjustments, your stats could show that it was a par with 2 putts, hence a green in regulation, when technically it was a missed green.  A ball on the fringe is not a green in regulation.  A ball putt from the fringe is not a putt, it's technically a chip.

If you allow a computer program, such as Skycaddie, to keep your stats, you'll need to record that as a chip, so the program knows you missed the green, unless you are counting the fringe as a green in regulation.

So eother way you count it either as a putt from the fringe or a green in regulation, they are both technically wrong and will show up wrong in your stats in a computer program.

#18 Tgstan

Tgstan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178262
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

I count it as a putt.  I think it's a better and more useful way of tracking your stats.

#19 br61

br61

Hackin' Hall of Shame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,958 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49
  • Ebay ID:br-61
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

Although I don't keep those GIR or putts per round stats because I think they are overrated but if I'm about 6 inches off green with a birdie putt of about 15-20 feet to the hole, I'll count it as a putt but if I'm on other side of the green about 2-3 feet off but using putter, I won't count it as a putt. The proximity to the hole from my approach shots in relation to what club I used and the total score is all I care about.

I'd rather be off the green about 15 feet from the hole than to be on green facing 80 feet birdie putt which is how I look at the qualities of my approach shots.
A bag full of hacking utensils
RBZ2 Tour 9*
RBZ2 Tour TP 14.5, 21.5 & 24.5
714 AP1 4-PW, Steelfiber110-S, 2* weak
Vokey TVD 50*M, 54*M & 60* K
POS TM mini Manta CS 36"

#20 gortosi

gortosi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 110027
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

I can see both sides but I do not count it as a putt.  My course has weekly skins games and one is lowest putts.  It specifically states that putts from the fringe are not to be counted.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Fore_Man

Fore_Man

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68672
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

If you want to get all "technical" and stuff.  "Technically" it's not a putt.  As "technically" it's not on the green, even if it's on the fringe according to pro tour statisticians.

However, when I choose to keep track of my putting strokes, I include strokes from the fringe w/ the putter.  I personally think that all strokes with the putter is "technically" putting.  If you choose the putter instead of a wedge, it should be tracked as so because you're choosing the club based on what you think will give you a better proximity to the hole.  That said, I'm still not sure this needs to be that "technical".

#22 Dire Wolf

Dire Wolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73232
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

View Postbr61, on 03 September 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

Although I don't keep those GIR or putts per round stats because I think they are overrated but if I'm about 6 inches off green with a birdie putt of about 15-20 feet to the hole, I'll count it as a putt but if I'm on other side of the green about 2-3 feet off but using putter, I won't count it as a putt. The proximity to the hole from my approach shots in relation to what club I used and the total score is all I care about.

I'd rather be off the green about 15 feet from the hole than to be on green facing 80 feet birdie putt which is how I look at the qualities of my approach shots.

This right here.  I wish I'd read your post before I typed my response (which I deleted before posting).  It was nearly identical.

#23 bogey_bakes

bogey_bakes

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40887
  • Ebay ID:bogey_bakes
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:55 AM

This weekend I had a downhill putt from the fringe.  I putted it off the green and onto the fringe behind the hole.  Then, I putted it in from the fringe.  That counts as zero putts.

#24 jwrogers

jwrogers

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5343
GolfWRX Likes : 229

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

View PostFore_Man, on 04 September 2012 - 08:27 AM, said:

However, when I choose to keep track of my putting strokes, I include strokes from the fringe w/ the putter.  I personally think that all strokes with the putter is "technically" putting.

It's actually the opposite.   Technically it's not putting.   Technical means very strict to meaning or known facts.  The opposite of technically is probably "equivocally", so equivocally you are calling it a putt.  Equivocal means "open to interpretation."

It's fine to call it a putt, as long as you guys understand you're opening the putt count up to vague interpretations about how far off the green you are, whether you'd call it a putt from 1 foot off the green if it was buried in deep rough, etc.  

If you're stat-keeping for yourself, the question is probably meaningless.   Call it whatever you feel like calling it.   If you're stat-keeping to compare across groups of other people, it's better to not leave stuff like this open to interpretation because the comparisons become meaningless.

#25 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
GolfWRX Likes : 693

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

View Postbogey_bakes, on 04 September 2012 - 08:55 AM, said:

This weekend I had a downhill putt from the fringe.  I putted it off the green and onto the fringe behind the hole.  Then, I putted it in from the fringe.  That counts as zero putts.

That's right.

Also, any strokes taken after the ball is on the green is counted as a putt....

So if you're on the green, putt the ball off, chip it back on, then putt it into the hole, that counts as 3 putts.

#26 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130204
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 628

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

If you used your putter from the tee box or 150 yds out on the fairway... does that mean it's a putt?

On the fringe is not on the green. I only count putts once on the green. It's more accurate for my stat tracking GIRs.

--kC
RBZ 9 Tour/Fujikura Fuel 60S Masters Ed
RBZ 3W/4H / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons
Scratch 8620 54/58. TM Trip Winner-Doral
I'm like Rhyno the Hampster in Bolt.
Overly enthusiastic about everything
with no inner dialog filter.

#27 tnord

tnord

Good job on the anchor, now dial back the ball!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129799
  • Handicap:3.5

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

i basically make a judgement call.  if it's on the fringe but only say 15' away from the pin....it's a putt.  if it's on the fringe and 50' away, it's not a putt.

to me, that 50' putt from off the green should count more towards your up/down stats than your putting stats.
Nike VR Tour 9.5 VTS Silver 6x
Nike VR Pro Ltd Ed 15 VTS Black SPX 7x
Adams Super Hybrid 17 VTS Silver 75x
Ping S56/S300 or VR Pro Blades/X100
Ping Redwood ZB
TourS 52&58 or VR 52&58

#28 tec333

tec333

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27654
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

View PostImp, on 04 September 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

If you used your putter from the tee box or 150 yds out on the fairway... does that mean it's a putt?

On the fringe is not on the green. I only count putts once on the green. It's more accurate for my stat tracking GIRs.

--kC

Putter from tee box or 150 yards, really?  Then what about those 5 to 6 inch gimmes that get picked up?  You never putted it so you shouldn't count them either?  We are splitting hairs here....but I still agree track the GIRs and putts properly, fringe is off the green even if it's 3 feet from the cup and if you putt it - shouldn't count as a putt for stats.

#29 DCSerafin

DCSerafin

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140237

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

To keep consistant,  I only count putts that are once I am on the green.  The one exception (and this hasn't happened more than 1 or 2 times)  is if I happen to hit my first putt off the green.  Once putting,  I'm always putting. I can see some valid points for counting fringe putts, BUT  the way I track my stats,  it would skew my GIR's so putts are those from ON THE GREEN (with the above exception).

#30 CallawayLefty

CallawayLefty

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95918

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

Why does any of this matter?  It's not like the golf police are going to come haul somebody away for doing it one way or another.  The simplest answer here is do whatever you think you should do to help you maximize your improvement.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors