Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Chasing The Dream - Golf Channel

269 replies to this topic

#61 lowdrive

lowdrive

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4676
  • Ebay ID:purpleshades
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

I was reading about college golf recruiting a year or so ago.   There was a Div 1 coach that said that he didn't have a player on his top 5 that wasn't a plus golfer,  yet he said he would get calls from high school golfers that weren't even No. 1 on their high school team.  The top players are in a different dimension.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 2120

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

View Postbouch640, on 10 October 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

I think the show would be far more interesting if it was about Shank's brother.  He is actually chasing the dream.  Sure he's already made it to the tour but he is in the 200's on the money list.  I'd be interesting to see how he handles tour life and the pressures that come with it for a player at the bottom of the money list.

You'd be hard pressed to find a first year tour player who would be willing to put that kind of pressure on himself to perform. And the kind that would would be more like the rickie fowler coming out of oklahoma state type than the 32 year old mini tour player type.

Interesting idea though.

#63 Yuck

Yuck

Fore!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26540
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

View Postlowdrive, on 11 October 2012 - 08:43 PM, said:

I was reading about college golf recruiting a year or so ago.   There was a Div 1 coach that said that he didn't have a player on his top 5 that wasn't a plus golfer,  yet he said he would get calls from high school golfers that weren't even No. 1 on their high school team.  The top players are in a different dimension.

The are many high schoolers who are plus cappers and do not play number one on their HS squad.   Look at any State Champion teams in Florida, Texas or California for examples.  There are at least two major winners I had played with/against who were not number one on their HS team.

Edited by Yuck, 11 October 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#64 Petethreeput

Petethreeput

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146815
  • Handicap:2.2
GolfWRX Likes : 178

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:31 PM

I watched one episode.  Really, these guys are so negative about their games, they may never compete.  Dumb, how did they find these negative guys?  The one guy said he lost his confidence... sorry, game over bud.  The best believe every shot is going to be a winner.

Even Tiger says he is "close," never, "I was lost, couldn't find it, just wanted to go home. Couldn't wait to leave this course."

#65 golfpros1

golfpros1

So I got that going for me, which is nice.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,502 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105178
GolfWRX Likes : 961

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:06 AM

golf is tough.  good moments can be had, and you remember those a long time.  but sometimes it takes a competitive round to get that reality check slap in the face to truly understand how well you can play.  Neither of these guys have what it takes to be anything more than a journeyman pro.  Monday qualifying a PGA Tour event requires a super low score, so other than experience and testing their games, I have no idea why they are even trying.  A Hooters tour event seems a little more realistic for Shank, but even then, the game is no where near what it takes to play competitive golf well.  They highlighted some shots that were so bad, the game they are showing up with wouldn't win a club championship.  I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, I can sympathize with their struggle to play well, but there's no point in sugar coating it.

Edited by golfpros1, 16 October 2012 - 12:08 AM.

#66 tommyrobson

tommyrobson

Junior Golfer

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184764
  • Handicap:4.9
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

for those looking for shank gear:
http://www.robbiebie....com/shank_gear
Taylormade RBZ 9.5*
Cleveland Classic 15.5* w/ Matrix Ozik
Cleveland Classic 18* w/ Matrix Ozik
Ping S57's w/ S300
Kenny Giannini G2 Chubby
Ping Gorge 52, 56, SM4 60

#67 2putttom

2putttom

American born Aussie at heart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 503

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

With the above site, Shank will be a winner just in promotional sells alone.
Cleveland classic 290 Aldila VooDoo RVS6
Titliest 910 13 * Aldila VooDoo SVS6
ADAMS CMB 3-6 TT X100 Tour Velvet stnd.
ADAMS MB2 7-pw TT X100 Tour Velvet stnd.
Mizuno MP-R12 & MP-R4
Bobby Grace "SNYPER" 4* loft
WITB Link

#68 cb24

cb24

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142533
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

watched it for the first time last night and literally didnt seem like the same show that i have read about in this thread.  The show was enjoyable to watch and seems pretty well produced and set up.  Both of them are solid players who have a lot of work cut out for them but will be exciting to see their progress.  
One thing that was too bad was how Chris' wife doesnt really seem that supportive.  Makes me appreciate how supportive my wife is of all the practice and time I put into golf.  
Also, Shank is not even close to difficult to understand, that made me laugh when I thought about how foolish that comment was.  I guess if you were deaf he might be hard to understand.  

Oh and that course they played (arroyo trabuco) is a pretty fun course, decently challenging that can take a couple rounds to get used too, so their scores were solid.  The greens dont hold much as the course gets pretty dry.

#69 kchuckb

kchuckb

kchuckb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73159
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

I thought Shank had a pretty nice swing.
Ping G30 10.5
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G25 20 hybrid
Ping G20 4 iron, Ping G15 5-SW
Ping Karsten TR B60
Ping Gorge 58 WS

#70 tommyrobson

tommyrobson

Junior Golfer

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

Its not like they are hacks, they are both good golfers, shooting a 76 or w.e shank shot on a mini tour event isn't easy

Taylormade RBZ 9.5*
Ping S57's w/ S300
Kenny Giannini G2 Chubby

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#71 grizzlyblades

grizzlyblades

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66556
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

watched pipe dream yesterday, and thought it was more about a homeless guy with mental issues than a reality show about a guy who really wanted to become a golfer.

hopefully this show will showcase more about the challenges NORMAL guys have to face and beat in order to become a pga tour player.  e.g. preparation, practice, getting sponsors, more q school experience,etc.

#72 finalist

finalist

MASHED POTATO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,088 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 821
GolfWRX Likes : 370

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

The narrator's voice is growing on me. That soft, deep voice makes me think I'm watching National Geographic.
Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
WITB Link

#73 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,415 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

View Postfinalist, on 17 October 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

The narrator's voice is growing on me. That soft, deep voice makes me think I'm watching National Geographic.

Right!

"the gazelle turns its head as the cheetah in the grass snaps a twig, but it's too late"

Also, this show reminded me about how much Monday qualifyers suck. It's like waking up at four AM for a guy to kick you in the nards with a steel toed boot for five and a half hours.

#74 2bGood

2bGood

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91033
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

I found the talk of his sponsor really interesting as this is something we don't hear about enough when it comes to pro. I wish the show would come clean as say they are the sponsor for these guys to chase the dream, as this a normal part of guys getting to the big tours.

#75 ukalum

ukalum

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 164521
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

I like the concept of the show but wish they would have picked a few young golfers on the edge of getting to the tour. We already know the outcome of this show so there is no anticipation. Perhaps a former Big Break personality or college champ. would have been a better choice.

I think GC is trying to play to the dreams of old farts like myself, but what they are missing is that we don't dream of making the tour at 40, we dream that we are 23 again and have a chance.

#76 tommyrobson

tommyrobson

Junior Golfer

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

I feel like Chris Anderson is mentally defeated before hes on the course
Taylormade RBZ 9.5*
Ping S57's w/ S300
Kenny Giannini G2 Chubby

#77 Body_Visions

Body_Visions

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25501
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

I enjoy the show.  It seems a little too scripted, but is otherwise okay.

Is Chris starting to annoy anyone besides me?  He is sort of reminding me of Mark Burk with his entitlement and whining.

#78 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,415 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

View PostBody_Visions, on 18 October 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

I enjoy the show.  It seems a little too scripted, but is otherwise okay.

Is Chris starting to annoy anyone besides me?  He is sort of reminding me of Mark Burk with his entitlement and whining.

I don't see the entitlement but he is negative. The thing is that most people quit because they have been playing bad for a long time, and when you have twangs to play again you think back to how much fun it was when you were playing well. Then you get out there and it isn't going well and it's frustrating, and what he said about how "is rather be doing ANYTHING other than play bad golf" is bang on. It sucks.

The other thing about where he's at is that you can't scrape it around in even par and Monday qualify or make decent checks on a mini tour. You have to put the pedal down and don't stop making birdies until you get to the parking lot. When you're 25 and brimming with confidence its not so bad, but after years of rounds where you just didn't make anything add up you have a lot of bad experiences built up. That's what's going on with him, he looks like he hits it ok but just isn't making much on the greens and when that happens you start trying to hit it closer, you start short siding yourself, and all of a sudden you shot 80 in a qualifyer.

So while I agree that he's negative, I understand where he is at and why he is how he is.

#79 ABT

ABT

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47088
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

+1

View Posttommyrobson, on 17 October 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

I feel like Chris Anderson is mentally defeated before hes on the course

#80 Huskypride28

Huskypride28

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8970
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

I find this show to be very good.  Their talent level is head and shoulder's above Mark Burk's and the story lines are very interesting. Like others have said, they're not hacks.  I believe Chris held his card at one point in his career and Robbie has been good on the mini tours.  Their background stories are entertaining as well.  Robbie is trying to break out of his brother's shadow of success while keeping his driving range afloat.  And Chris is trying to run a business while trying to make it back on the tour without much support from his immediate family.  They both seem like great people so I hope they can make their dream a reality.

On a side note, does anyone else think Robbie reminds you of Jim Varney's character "Ernest."

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#81 driverwedge3putt

driverwedge3putt

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

View Postfinalist, on 17 October 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

lol I agree - I love the show!

Hate the anderson guy.  He's such a loser and his wife seems like a B.  Good entertainment!  Shank is awesome

#82 PGA_AllTheWay

PGA_AllTheWay

Advanced

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69043
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

Really surprised in the last episode, not one ball hit!

However I really think Robbie has his head on straight and has unbelievable values.

Really love the upgrades to his range as well
Ping G30 Driver Aldila tour Blue
G30 3 Wood, 17 Degree G30 Hybrid
I25 Blue Dot 3-W
Vokey 50* + Anser 56*
Ping Scottsdale ZB S
3up or Pro V1

#83 Bluefan75

Bluefan75

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56847
GolfWRX Likes : 304

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Haven't seen the show yet, but remembered Chris Patton from one of the first masters I really paid attention to.  What was his connection to this show?

#84 That Bob Guy

That Bob Guy

Never settle!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125497
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

View PostParOrBetter, on 04 September 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

I liked shank too. I'll be watching.
Is he related to Ernest P. Worrell? Sure sounds like him?
"You know what I mean"?

#85 BuckeyePaul01

BuckeyePaul01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193212
  • Handicap:3.1
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

View Postrockinar, on 03 September 2012 - 03:45 AM, said:

Here goes the Golf Channel again with another "dream" show. The last one was "Pipe Dream" with homeless bum Mark Burk who could not even break 85. Now Golf Channel does it again with two other guys. One is some business owner I know nothing about. The other guy is Robbie Biershenk, AKA "Shank" from Big Break Indian Wells. As usual, it's a show about two guys trying to make it on to the PGA Tour. From what I remember, Shank was a terrible player and I think was on the show for entertainment value.

http://www.golfchann...sing-the-dream/
LOL....I had to take a pass on this series and I agree with your sentiment.  I did watch Pipe Dream, and because of that.......I couldn't bring myself to DVR the above.

I would watch this kind of show if the Golf Channel would find a real golfer to follow.  IE.....a Web.com tour player with promise....somebody who might actually have a chance to earn his card.    Watching bottom feeder guys playing nicklel and dime events that are so far removed from the PGA tour arent that compelling.  I'll even take it 1 step further.......what if the show followed a former PGA touring player playing the web.com tour trying to earn his way back to the big show?

#86 golfpros1

golfpros1

So I got that going for me, which is nice.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,502 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105178
GolfWRX Likes : 961

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:42 AM

web.com players trying to make their pga tour card by finishing high for the season would be interesting, but would also take a lot more man power and time to tape and edit into a story.  these shows are clearly done on a budget.  send some fool with a 2K HD camera to follow them around like a puppy dog once a week and you have a show in 2 months or less.  Low cost filler to keep tgc on the air with commercials through the evenings when golf isn't played.  It aint sexy, but it's the truth.

#87 tec333

tec333

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27654
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:59 AM

I actually found it informational and entertaining...but I only saw parts of it.

The part when Shank asked the guys and I think one of them was Gainey on how the Nationwide is different from the tour and they said they only have about 5 courses on their tour that can be compared to or be considered Tour quality/standard as far as difficulty of the course.

I don't care much for the other guy...he's depressing to watch.  Just his attitude alone has him already beat.  

I did also like that they showed one of my local tracks - Industry Hills course.

Edited by tec333, 25 October 2012 - 01:01 AM.

#88 ihatecats18

ihatecats18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204367
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

Chris needs to give up his dream.  He has a great wife/company/kids, quit being so selfish.
Shank has a small shot, but his window is closing quickly.  But man, is this guy drugged/burnt out?  Seems like nobody is home.

A reality show about me golfing would be more interesting some days compared these two.

#89 cb24

cb24

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142533
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

View PostTheBobGuy, on 24 October 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

View PostParOrBetter, on 04 September 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

I liked shank too. I'll be watching.
Is he related to Ernest P. Worrell? Sure sounds like him?
"You know what I mean"?

dude he reminds me of Ernest so much.  I always liked the Ernest character so it makes it even more entertaining for me:)

#90 JustTheTips

JustTheTips

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139036
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

Shank has no shot either. He talks about being on the tour but how many hours of practice do you see him doing? Maybe he is really hitting balls 6 hours a day and doing an hour of fitness work but I am not seeing it.

Chris is in the same boat. I am in agreement with his wife's reluctance. They guy couldn't hack the first time when he was at the peak of his golfing power. To expect to be better now after years off and with little practice seems optimistic at best

To have any shot both of them need to go all in for 2 years (first pretty much training and prep. Second is about execution). Seems like neither of them is in the position to do that.

View Postihatecats18, on 25 October 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

Chris needs to give up his dream.  He has a great wife/company/kids, quit being so selfish.
Shank has a small shot, but his window is closing quickly.  But man, is this guy drugged/burnt out?  Seems like nobody is home.

A reality show about me golfing would be more interesting some days compared these two.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors