Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Chasing The Dream - Golf Channel


269 replies to this topic

#31 Gawbage_man

Gawbage_man

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163119
  • Joined: 02/14/2012
  • Location:at the end of the bar.
GolfWRX Likes : 172

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

Man you guys are harsh.  If you don't like it, don't watch it.  I think this is generated for the masses and most people can relate to a shank as opposed to a scratch player.  Oh, and Chris Anderson was a tour player back in the day.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

1

#32 Body_Visions

Body_Visions

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25501
  • Joined: 02/13/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

I thought it was a decent show, other than the introduction.  A little more in-depth would be nice.

It was cool to see Chris Patton again.

2

#33 golfpros1

golfpros1

    So I got that going for me, which is nice.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105178
  • Joined: 03/22/2010
  • Location:golfwrx.com
GolfWRX Likes : 1983

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

it was better then I thought it would be, but it's pretty much what I expected too.

3

#34 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

    EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
  • Joined: 10/02/2011
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 3165

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:35 PM

I liked it, Chris Anderson was a long time nationwide tour player and played on the big tour for a year. Outside of the life stuff I think this is a good chance for people to pay attention and see how most professionals play the game. They drive it in play, hit a lot of greens, really good short games, and week to week performance comes down to how many putts you can make. All while hitting it closer to 280 than the 320 most am's think they do.

For all the guys we see on this site asking "what do I have to do to be a tour player", watching someone like Chris Anderson is a good chance to see how the majority of pros are playing the game.

Hopefully those people pay attention to the details, they might figure something out.

4

#35 tdk8180

tdk8180

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77908
  • Joined: 03/20/2009
  • Location:Parts Unknown
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 446

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

I don't care who the players are, the fact is you need to take away the fact that it's hard to make the tour, and that's what they are showing.  Also, listening to the excuses and playing pyschologist for a night is fun for me, the viewer.  These guys are good, just not good enough to be on Tour, and I'm sad that this is their personal nightmare, and that makes me sick inside.

Callaway BB Alpha 815 DBD, 9 Degree (GD TOUR AD-DI 6X)
Callaway BB Alpha 815 3 wood, 14 Degree (GD TOUR AD-DI 7S)
Callaway BB Alpha 815 Hybrids 18 & 20 (GD TOUR AD-DI 85 S Hyb)
Tour Issue Callaway X-Prototype Irons 4-PW (Project X LZ 5.5, 115g, Raw finish, H Stamps, V Grooves)
Tour Issue Callaway X-Forged 50,54,58,64 (Project X LZ 5.5, 115g, Raw Finish, V Grooves)
Tour Issue Odyssey 330 Mallet (White Hot Black Swirl Insert, Butane Finish, 349g headweight, TT Black Stepped Shaft, Odyssey DFX White Cord Grip)

5

#36 Yuck

Yuck

    Fore!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26540
  • Joined: 03/10/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

View PostBody_Visions, on 03 October 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

I thought it was a decent show, other than the introduction.  A little more in-depth would be nice.

It was cool to see Chris Patton again.

Why does't Chris Patton try this?  He was one of the most talented fat amatuers ever.  US Am Champ and of course played in the Masters.  I am sure his path since those days has been interesting.  One thing he did have in spades was talent.

6

#37 Body_Visions

Body_Visions

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25501
  • Joined: 02/13/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

View PostYuck, on 03 October 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

View PostBody_Visions, on 03 October 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

I thought it was a decent show, other than the introduction.  A little more in-depth would be nice.

It was cool to see Chris Patton again.

Why does't Chris Patton try this?  He was one of the most talented fat amatuers ever.  US Am Champ and of course played in the Masters.  I am sure his path since those days has been interesting.  One thing he did have in spades was talent.

Absolutely all the talent needed.  And he looked in reasonable shape on the show, at least compared to his old self.  The last I knew, he was teaching around Greenville somewhere.

7

#38 zikon

zikon

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136200
  • Joined: 08/12/2011
  • Location:Florida
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

I just wish they didn't use the same guys voice over as they did with "Pipe Dream" It brought back bad memories of that show lol

8

#39 supergolfdude

supergolfdude

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15183
  • Joined: 05/31/2006
  • Location:Cleveland, OH
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

View Postrockinar, on 03 September 2012 - 03:45 AM, said:

Here goes the Golf Channel again with another "dream" show. The last one was "Pipe Dream" with homeless bum Mark Burk who could not even break 85. Now Golf Channel does it again with two other guys. One is some business owner I know nothing about. The other guy is Robbie Biershenk, AKA "Shank" from Big Break Indian Wells. As usual, it's a show about two guys trying to make it on to the PGA Tour. From what I remember, Shank was a terrible player and I think was on the show for entertainment value. He's of those goofy immature guys that talks a lot and you want to just tell him to shut up after a few minutes. His odds of making it on the PGA Tour are about as good as mine....zip. He has a younger brother who's 100X better than him. So obviously Shank is on the show for entertainment, that's all.

http://www.golfchann...sing-the-dream/

I completely agree, and I don't understand what The Golf Channel saw in "Shank" to think this half-wit is appealing enough to merit even MORE coverage than his appearance with one of the least-talented Big Break casts in history! Unless they subtitle his speech, I don't think a person can understand a damn thing the guy says!

9

#40 flip flappy

flip flappy

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137925
  • Joined: 08/29/2011
  • Location:NC
GolfWRX Likes : 141

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

View Postsupergolfdude, on 04 October 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

I completely agree, and I don't understand what The Golf Channel saw in "Shank" to think this half-wit is appealing enough to merit even MORE coverage than his appearance with one of the least-talented Big Break casts in history! Unless they subtitle his speech, I don't think a person can understand a damn thing the guy says!

I am from the south and don't have a problem understanding Shank. I like the guy.
Shank's sense of humor appeals to me....he's not afraid to be different.

I am looking forward to this series. The lessons shows on GC bore me to to death. Glad to have something new!

Edited by flip flappy, 04 October 2012 - 07:10 PM.

Titleist 910 D2 10.5   
Cobra Baffler T Rail 3 wood
Ping i-e1  4-U Nippon 105
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52 and 56
Ping Cadence B-65

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

10

#41 CheckJV

CheckJV

    Male Model

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93640
  • Joined: 09/03/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 278

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

View PostBody_Visions, on 04 October 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

View PostYuck, on 03 October 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

View PostBody_Visions, on 03 October 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

I thought it was a decent show, other than the introduction.  A little more in-depth would be nice.

It was cool to see Chris Patton again.

Why does't Chris Patton try this?  He was one of the most talented fat amatuers ever.  US Am Champ and of course played in the Masters.  I am sure his path since those days has been interesting.  One thing he did have in spades was talent.

Absolutely all the talent needed.  And he looked in reasonable shape on the show, at least compared to his old self.  The last I knew, he was teaching around Greenville somewhere.


Still is and has more talent than you can possibly imagine. He just has too much hay to cut on his farm and family considerations.

11

#42 Yuck

Yuck

    Fore!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26540
  • Joined: 03/10/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

[quote name='Body_Visions' timestamp='1349297574' post='5746227']
I thought it was a decent show, other than the introduction.  A little more in-depth would be nice.

It was cool to see Chris Patton again.
[/quote]
[quote name='CheckJV' timestamp='1349397640' post='5752347']
[quote name='Body_Visions' timestamp='1349386776' post='5751549']
[quote name='Yuck' timestamp='1349316816' post='5747619']
[quote name='Body_Visions' timestamp='1349297574' post='5746227']
I thought it was a decent show, other than the introduction.  A little more in-depth would be nice.

It was cool to see Chris Patton again.
[/quote]

Why does't Chris Patton try this?  He was one of the most talented fat amatuers ever.  US Am Champ and of course played in the Masters.  I am sure his path since those days has been interesting.  One thing he did have in spades was talent.
[/quote]

Absolutely all the talent needed.  And he looked in reasonable shape on the show, at least compared to his old self.  The last I knew, he was teaching around Greenville somewhere.
[/quote]


Still is and has more talent than you can possibly imagine. He just has too much hay to cut on his farm and family considerations.
[/quote]

[quote name='CheckJV' timestamp='1349397640' post='5752347']
[quote name='Body_Visions' timestamp='1349386776' post='5751549']
[quote name='Yuck' timestamp='1349316816' post='5747619']
[quote name='Body_Visions' timestamp='1349297574' post='5746227']
I thought it was a decent show, other than the introduction.  A little more in-depth would be nice.

It was cool to see Chris Patton again.
[/quote]

Why does't Chris Patton try this?  He was one of the most talented fat amatuers ever.  US Am Champ and of course played in the Masters.  I am sure his path since those days has been interesting.  One thing he did have in spades was talent.
[/quote]

Absolutely all the talent needed.  And he looked in reasonable shape on the show, at least compared to his old self.  The last I knew, he was teaching around Greenville somewhere.
[/quote]


Still is and has more talent than you can possibly imagine. He just has too much hay to cut on his farm and family considerations.
[/quote]

For those who do not remember Chris Patton in his prime.  He was an absolute golf stud at Clemson.

[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1136781/1/index.htm"]http://sportsillustr...781/1/index.htm[/url]

Attached Files



12

#43 2bGood

2bGood

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91033
  • Joined: 08/07/2009
  • Location:Behind my computer right now.
  • Handicap:4-7
GolfWRX Likes : 1113

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Watched the show and I liked it enough to watch again. I just wish they would be "honest" about things. The viewers aren't so dumb that we would believe the two guys being featured in a documentary just happened to run into each other randomly at a golf course the way they did. "hey buddy, I see you have a camera crew? Cool I do too! What show are you doing? Really the same one as me? Cool." As viewer I would be fine with them let us know that the meeting was set up to kick off the show instead of pretending it just happened. Also I wish they would aknowledge that they are on a TV show and getting money to do it. Shank should be saying "I have lots of bills, I am sure glad I was picked for the show as it going to help with those and let me focus on chasing the dream." Lots of guys going after the PGA tour get outside financial help so I am not sure why they are so afraid to admit this. In no way would owning up to what really going on make the show less interesting.

13

#44 Body_Visions

Body_Visions

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25501
  • Joined: 02/13/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

View Postsupergolfdude, on 04 October 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

View Postrockinar, on 03 September 2012 - 03:45 AM, said:

Here goes the Golf Channel again with another "dream" show. The last one was "Pipe Dream" with homeless bum Mark Burk who could not even break 85. Now Golf Channel does it again with two other guys. One is some business owner I know nothing about. The other guy is Robbie Biershenk, AKA "Shank" from Big Break Indian Wells. As usual, it's a show about two guys trying to make it on to the PGA Tour. From what I remember, Shank was a terrible player and I think was on the show for entertainment value. He's of those goofy immature guys that talks a lot and you want to just tell him to shut up after a few minutes. His odds of making it on the PGA Tour are about as good as mine....zip. He has a younger brother who's 100X better than him. So obviously Shank is on the show for entertainment, that's all.

http://www.golfchann...sing-the-dream/

I completely agree, and I don't understand what The Golf Channel saw in "Shank" to think this half-wit is appealing enough to merit even MORE coverage than his appearance with one of the least-talented Big Break casts in history! Unless they subtitle his speech, I don't think a person can understand a damn thing the guy says!

Yeah, he would probably have a hard time understanding you as well, being as you are from Ohio.  I doubt he would call you half-witted because of it though.

14

#45 Body_Visions

Body_Visions

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25501
  • Joined: 02/13/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostCheckJV, on 04 October 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

View PostBody_Visions, on 04 October 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

View PostYuck, on 03 October 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

View PostBody_Visions, on 03 October 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

I thought it was a decent show, other than the introduction.  A little more in-depth would be nice.

It was cool to see Chris Patton again.

Why does't Chris Patton try this?  He was one of the most talented fat amatuers ever.  US Am Champ and of course played in the Masters.  I am sure his path since those days has been interesting.  One thing he did have in spades was talent.

Absolutely all the talent needed.  And he looked in reasonable shape on the show, at least compared to his old self.  The last I knew, he was teaching around Greenville somewhere.


Still is and has more talent than you can possibly imagine. He just has too much hay to cut on his farm and family considerations.

I doubt he has more than I can imagine.  I have a good memory.  It is nice to hear that he is still doing well.  Maybe he will give it another shot at 50!


15

#46 Wordmixer

Wordmixer

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167513
  • Joined: 03/04/2012
  • Location:South Carolina
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

I live in the upstate of SC and know most of the pros and range owners, so I'd like to pen a few words to the OP about this "goofy immature guy" of whom he writes.

For years Robbie Biershenk has provided the upstate a low-cost alternative to the pricier club membership ranges and country clubs by offering discount lessons, an encouraging atmosphere, and Friday afternoon range sessions replete with feel-good country tunes blaring from loudspeakers as patrons of all colors hack away their work week stresses. Shank's is popular because its owner is popular. Robbie Biershenk is one of the hardest workers I've seen in the golf industry, and the sight of him on his tractor, pulling the range picker while his three labs lope behind their owner and leap at the occasional bouncing ball, is a welcome sight to all who frequent his facility. His is the welcoming, utilitarian range where you'll witness guy's with tour-issue 910s and video camera set-ups hitting next to barefoot Bubba's who'd think a 9-3 drill was a power tool from Home Depot.

I've seen Robbie offer part-time jobs to struggling friends, host mini-tour pros as they hone their games, and walk over to assist parent's trying to help junior stop topping his 5-wood. For years Robbie has been a facilitator of other golfer's dreams. That he was given a chance to live out one of his own dreams -- to briefly be receiver rather than giver -- is a circumstance he deserves, especially when weighed against the privileged class of youngsters sprouting up like so many one-plane daisies from the manicured gardens of NCAA Division 1.

It may seem unfair to the OP that Robbie Biershenk gets a spot on a tv show, but such is life. Life is tedium and skydive, green pasture and wildfire, and it would be to the benefit of the collective GolfWRX experience if fewer of us wasted minutes insulting another man and his dream from behind the anonymity of the internet.

Go get 'em, Shank.

16

#47 Body_Visions

Body_Visions

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25501
  • Joined: 02/13/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

View PostWordmixer, on 06 October 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

I live in the upstate of SC and know most of the pros and range owners, so I'd like to pen a few words to the OP about this "goofy immature guy" of whom he writes.

For years Robbie Biershenk has provided the upstate a low-cost alternative to the pricier club membership ranges and country clubs by offering discount lessons, an encouraging atmosphere, and Friday afternoon range sessions replete with feel-good country tunes blaring from loudspeakers as patrons of all colors hack away their work week stresses. Shank's is popular because its owner is popular. Robbie Biershenk is one of the hardest workers I've seen in the golf industry, and the sight of him on his tractor, pulling the range picker while his three labs lope behind their owner and leap at the occasional bouncing ball, is a welcome sight to all who frequent his facility. His is the welcoming, utilitarian range where you'll witness guy's with tour-issue 910s and video camera set-ups hitting next to barefoot Bubba's who'd think a 9-3 drill was a power tool from Home Depot.

I've seen Robbie offer part-time jobs to struggling friends, host mini-tour pros as they hone their games, and walk over to assist parent's trying to help junior stop topping his 5-wood. For years Robbie has been a facilitator of other golfer's dreams. That he was given a chance to live out one of his own dreams -- to briefly be receiver rather than giver -- is a circumstance he deserves, especially when weighed against the privileged class of youngsters sprouting up like so many one-plane daisies from the manicured gardens of NCAA Division 1.

It may seem unfair to the OP that Robbie Biershenk gets a spot on a tv show, but such is life. Life is tedium and skydive, green pasture and wildfire, and it would be to the benefit of the collective GolfWRX experience if fewer of us wasted minutes insulting another man and his dream from behind the anonymity of the internet.

Go get 'em, Shank.

Yes sir!!!

17

#48 golfpros1

golfpros1

    So I got that going for me, which is nice.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105178
  • Joined: 03/22/2010
  • Location:golfwrx.com
GolfWRX Likes : 1983

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

I dont know why they aren't satisfied with a career and great amateur record they could go after these types of guys.  What's so great about being a struggling tour player living in cheap motels and conversion vans?  It's one thing if they think they have the game to make a half million a year, but clearly if they did they would already be out there.

Edited by golfpros1, 06 October 2012 - 01:18 PM.


18

#49 2bGood

2bGood

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91033
  • Joined: 08/07/2009
  • Location:Behind my computer right now.
  • Handicap:4-7
GolfWRX Likes : 1113

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

Golfpros1 - they are chasing the dream, it not about settling for something "good" it about going for something bigger.

19

#50 middie8

middie8

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15476
  • Joined: 06/14/2006
  • Location:Philadelphia
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 120

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

I thought it was pretty good.  Slightly more realistic than other shows.  At the end of that round those guys were at 71-31.  And they do have a history of playing at high levels.  Its not some scrub that posts good scores at his country club so he thinks he can go big time.  That is why I will watch it.

But I agree those two running into one another on the putting green was slightly cheesy. No need to insert drama.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 richard t

richard t

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85373
  • Joined: 06/11/2009
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 559

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

I said earlier, at least give us someone who has a chance and isn't a psycho-social idiot. (Mark Burk). Well, I liked it. Whether these two will ever go to 'the show' doesn't matter to me. At least they both seem honest, sincere,  and determined about what they are trying to do. As opposed to the Burk episodes anyone could look carefully here and see talent, and realize it's a long way to the big boy tour. Good luck to both of them. Like others, it was neat to see Patton. Wondered  sometimes whatever happened to him. Maybe all the rants over Mark Burk got GCs attention. Who knows????

21

#52 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

    EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
  • Joined: 10/02/2011
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 3165

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

View PostWordmixer, on 06 October 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

I live in the upstate of SC and know most of the pros and range owners, so I'd like to pen a few words to the OP about this "goofy immature guy" of whom he writes.

For years Robbie Biershenk has provided the upstate a low-cost alternative to the pricier club membership ranges and country clubs by offering discount lessons, an encouraging atmosphere, and Friday afternoon range sessions replete with feel-good country tunes blaring from loudspeakers as patrons of all colors hack away their work week stresses. Shank's is popular because its owner is popular. Robbie Biershenk is one of the hardest workers I've seen in the golf industry, and the sight of him on his tractor, pulling the range picker while his three labs lope behind their owner and leap at the occasional bouncing ball, is a welcome sight to all who frequent his facility. His is the welcoming, utilitarian range where you'll witness guy's with tour-issue 910s and video camera set-ups hitting next to barefoot Bubba's who'd think a 9-3 drill was a power tool from Home Depot.

I've seen Robbie offer part-time jobs to struggling friends, host mini-tour pros as they hone their games, and walk over to assist parent's trying to help junior stop topping his 5-wood. For years Robbie has been a facilitator of other golfer's dreams. That he was given a chance to live out one of his own dreams -- to briefly be receiver rather than giver -- is a circumstance he deserves, especially when weighed against the privileged class of youngsters sprouting up like so many one-plane daisies from the manicured gardens of NCAA Division 1.

It may seem unfair to the OP that Robbie Biershenk gets a spot on a tv show, but such is life. Life is tedium and skydive, green pasture and wildfire, and it would be to the benefit of the collective GolfWRX experience if fewer of us wasted minutes insulting another man and his dream from behind the anonymity of the internet.

Go get 'em, Shank.

Well said

22

#53 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

    Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,350 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
  • Joined: 09/18/2007
  • Location:Arizona
GolfWRX Likes : 1228

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

I got the feeling from watching the first episode, that maybe Chris' wife is not "all in."

23

#54 finalist

finalist

    MASHED POTATO!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 821
  • Joined: 05/24/2005
  • Location:Folsom, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 515

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

It's on my must see TV list.
Homeland
Chasing the Dream
Big Break
49ers Games

Also, the SHANK hoodie looks cool. Bet there's a place to buy one online...
Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
WITB Link

24

#55 Bombn

Bombn

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5004
  • Joined: 08/11/2005
  • Location:Las Vegas
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

On a side note, I watched Tommy Biershenk play in the Tour event this past Sunday in Las Vegas.  Robbies big brother and the more "responsible" one barely made it to his tee time by 10 seconds and had to actually RUN to the tee to make it.  Pretty funny when the other players were there along with about 50+ people waiting to watch him tee off #10 to start his round.  And the kicker was he was the 1st to tee off in his group.


25

#56 lbhitter

lbhitter

    BadaPing

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2346
  • Joined: 07/10/2005
  • Location:North Carolina
  • Ebay ID:LBHITTER
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

I had the pleasure of playing with Robbie's brother Tommy in a Hooter's Tour Pro Am event about 3 years ago.  I cannot recall meeting a more humble person.  He treated us like VIPs and was a gracious enough to give lessons to the whole group.   He carried his own bag (no caddie) for 5 straight days and won the tournament.  

I'm rooting for Robbie.  GO Shank.

LB
Driver - TM M2 10.5* Fujikura Six TS
3HL - TM M2 Aldila Tour Blue (Kwok'ed)
7W - Titleist 915F Aldila Tour Blue
4H - Titleist 816 Aldila Tour Blue
Irons - Titleist T-MB 5, 6-Pw AP2716 Modus3 105S
Wedges - Vokey SM6 50/54/60 S400
Putter - RIFE GR6 Aussie

26

#57 Pert1862

Pert1862

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60172
  • Joined: 07/11/2008
  • Ebay ID:Pert1862
GolfWRX Likes : 376

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

View PostWordmixer, on 06 October 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

I live in the upstate of SC and know most of the pros and range owners, so I'd like to pen a few words to the OP about this "goofy immature guy" of whom he writes.

For years Robbie Biershenk has provided the upstate a low-cost alternative to the pricier club membership ranges and country clubs by offering discount lessons, an encouraging atmosphere, and Friday afternoon range sessions replete with feel-good country tunes blaring from loudspeakers as patrons of all colors hack away their work week stresses. Shank's is popular because its owner is popular. Robbie Biershenk is one of the hardest workers I've seen in the golf industry, and the sight of him on his tractor, pulling the range picker while his three labs lope behind their owner and leap at the occasional bouncing ball, is a welcome sight to all who frequent his facility. His is the welcoming, utilitarian range where you'll witness guy's with tour-issue 910s and video camera set-ups hitting next to barefoot Bubba's who'd think a 9-3 drill was a power tool from Home Depot.

I've seen Robbie offer part-time jobs to struggling friends, host mini-tour pros as they hone their games, and walk over to assist parent's trying to help junior stop topping his 5-wood. For years Robbie has been a facilitator of other golfer's dreams. That he was given a chance to live out one of his own dreams -- to briefly be receiver rather than giver -- is a circumstance he deserves, especially when weighed against the privileged class of youngsters sprouting up like so many one-plane daisies from the manicured gardens of NCAA Division 1.

It may seem unfair to the OP that Robbie Biershenk gets a spot on a tv show, but such is life. Life is tedium and skydive, green pasture and wildfire, and it would be to the benefit of the collective GolfWRX experience if fewer of us wasted minutes insulting another man and his dream from behind the anonymity of the internet.

Go get 'em, Shank.

Well said!
Ping G25 12* - Aldila Rogue / K15 12* - Rombax
Ping G10 3wd - Grafalloy Blue
Ping i20 20* / Rapture 24* / G10 28*
Ping G5 6-U
Ping Anser Milled w/SuperStroke Flatso
Ping G2 Craz-E w/SuperStroke
Ping Tour Gorge 56* and 60*
Srixon Z-Star / Pro V1

27

#58 bouch640

bouch640

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4167
  • Joined: 08/02/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

I think the show would be far more interesting if it was about Shank's brother.  He is actually chasing the dream.  Sure he's already made it to the tour but he is in the 200's on the money list.  I'd be interesting to see how he handles tour life and the pressures that come with it for a player at the bottom of the money list.

28

#59 golfpros1

golfpros1

    So I got that going for me, which is nice.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105178
  • Joined: 03/22/2010
  • Location:golfwrx.com
GolfWRX Likes : 1983

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

View Postrichard t, on 08 October 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

I said earlier, at least give us someone who has a chance and isn't a psycho-social idiot. (Mark Burk). Well, I liked it. Whether these two will ever go to 'the show' doesn't matter to me. At least they both seem honest, sincere,  and determined about what they are trying to do. As opposed to the Burk episodes anyone could look carefully here and see talent, and realize it's a long way to the big boy tour. Good luck to both of them. Like others, it was neat to see Patton. Wondered  sometimes whatever happened to him. Maybe all the rants over Mark Burk got GCs attention. Who knows????

I agree.  Those guys are "normal" and have enough heritage in the game to be worthy of a show.  I think as a whole, golf fans are a little jaded against these types of shows because of some of the past players, some of which had just started playing the game all the way to homeless that haven't played golf in a while.  It was just too ridiculous in cases where the audience became irritated by the format.  Nothing against these guys.

29

#60 golfpros1

golfpros1

    So I got that going for me, which is nice.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105178
  • Joined: 03/22/2010
  • Location:golfwrx.com
GolfWRX Likes : 1983

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

View Postbouch640, on 10 October 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

I think the show would be far more interesting if it was about Shank's brother.  He is actually chasing the dream.  Sure he's already made it to the tour but he is in the 200's on the money list.  I'd be interesting to see how he handles tour life and the pressures that come with it for a player at the bottom of the money list.

agree


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors