Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best You've Ever Played With

130 replies to this topic

#61 will227457

will227457

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116125
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

I was invited to play Hobe Sound once, my buddy and I were hooked up with a single who introduced himself as Jonathan Goldsmith older guy i'd say almost 60, a very interesting guy. Crazy round Jonathan played from the tips, Longest I have ever seen out of the box just a rocket with every tee shot. hit "almost" every fairway, "almost didn't miss a green" , had an eagle putt on every par five and was no further than 25 ft from the hole on every green.

Really an outstanding round of golf.

So here comes the crazy part I noted that he hit "almost" every fairway and green, well we get to the 18th tee box he pulls out his driver and hits one of the worst tee shots I have ever seen a 100 yd slice that looks like a bananna. His next shot is even worse he came in fat on his approach and advanced the ball 50yds. my buddy and I could not believe it, it takes him 4 strokes to get to the green on this long par 4, he then 4 putts....this from a guy who didn't miss anything outside of 20' for the day.

After the first hole and my buddy and I could see that this guy could really play we kept track of his score, even with the snowman on 18 he shot a 63....a 63 I couldn't believe it.

We shook hands and left, we went into the club house for a couple of drinks and I see Jonathan sitting at the bar drinking a Dos Equis, my buddy and I are sitting in a table behind him talking about our round and the round that we just witnessed, when in walks Tiger Woods....Tiger I almost S__t my pants. Well Tiger ignores us walks up to Jonathan thanks him for the swing advice from some previous meeting I assume,  and for not breaking his course record.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 Tmiller72

Tmiller72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30047
GolfWRX Likes : 174

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

He sounds like a very interesting man.

#63 eagles1

eagles1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68674
GolfWRX Likes : 242

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

View PostTmiller72, on 05 September 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

He sounds like a very interesting man.
:wave:

#64 forrre

forrre

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8411
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:17 PM

I have a good friend that was club pro for many years. He played in the PGA at southern hills in 2007. I have watched him shoot ho hum rounds that ended up 3-4 under and they could have been 6-7 under had a few more putts dropped. I am 10-15 yards longer off the tee an a club longer with irons but his misses are 10 to 15 times better than mine. Great player and even better person!

#65 swbyps

swbyps

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,221 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54354
  • Ebay ID:bkammons
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:25 AM

When I was a freshman in high school, my neighbor a few houses down the street was Billy Ray Brown. We were pseudo friends I guess. He was a senior big time golfer and I was just a freshman. We played together a few times and since then I have not played with anyone who was as good as Billy Ray was back then. We had 72 holes of golf in our neighborhood (2 18 hole courses an executive 9 and a 9 hole par 3) which was absolutely ideal for working on all aspect of the game, and BR was just crazy good. He would shoot par or better every time out and he was only 17 or 18 at the time. I know thats not so unusual these days, but back in 1981 it wasnt so common. He went on to be an All American at University of Houston and won a couple national championships on those great golf teams in the 80s. He made it out on tour and won a couple times until injuries got the best of him. Hes out there now as one of the on course reporters on Golf Channel. Mostly on the Champions Tour events.

#66 Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148219
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

Every year, they hold a qualifier for the Mylan Classic on the Nationwide Tour at my home course.  It's not particularly long, but some local knowledge is definitely required or you can make some bogeys that leave you shaking your head.  So anyways, each year, I usually take a guy out for a practice round, just to show them the course and explain how some holes need to be played, so I've seen some ridiculously good golf. (And I've gotten guys through the qualifier the last 3 years!) Probably the best I've seen is a kid named Chesson Hadley (who is now #2 on the eGolf Tour money list). It was almost hypnotizing to watch him play. Fairway, green, birdie. Fairway, green birdie. I'm not exactly sure what he shot that day, but it had to have been about 62 (-8) or 63 (-7). I think he ended up shooting 66 in the actual qualifier to medal.
Cleveland Classic 290 9* Tour AD-DI 6s
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15* Tour AD-DI 7s
Adams Idea Pro 18* Aerotech Steelfiber
Mizuno MP-33 3-PW TTDG S300
Cleveland 588 Forged 56*, 64*
Never Compromise Sub 30 Type 40

#67 mogc60

mogc60

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144493
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

Played a match against Jeff Kern from AZ and he impressed me with every aspect of his game.  He was as solid a player as I had ever seen.  If I remember right, he bogeyed 17 and 18 to shoot 64.  I also had the honor of playing with the late Bert Yancey, and even with the mental illness he fought and the medication that affected his nerves, he was the smoothest swinger of a golf club that I have ever seen.  I actually played quite well that day and after every shot I hit he would say "Too Fast."  He was a true golf talent and the most knowledgable and intelligent person I have ever been around.

#68 swbyps

swbyps

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,221 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54354
  • Ebay ID:bkammons
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

This thread reminded me of one of the best posts I have ever read on this site. Scroll down until you see the post by PhilTickelson. Enjoy!

http://www.golfwrx.c...my#entry3039225

#69 bigred90gt

bigred90gt

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68580
GolfWRX Likes : 202

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

A buddy of mine plays on the mini tours, and playing with him is an experience. I am longer than almost everyone I play with. This guy is about 5'10" and 150 soaking wet, and is a good 10-15 yard s longer than me. He hits a nice mid-high draw on most shots, rarely misses a fairway or green (and when he does, it is usually by a couple of feet at most), and he can get up and down from anywhere. I'm a 5 index, and he is a struggling mini tour player, and he is playing a completely different game. Last time we played, he gave me 2 a side and we played for a beer. I shot a 78, which is about average. He shot a 66. Course is 7000 yards, 73.4/138 slope/rating.

#70 Hutch306

Hutch306

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125966
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

View Postwill227457, on 05 September 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

I was invited to play Hobe Sound once, my buddy and I were hooked up with a single who introduced himself as Jonathan Goldsmith older guy i'd say almost 60, a very interesting guy. Crazy round Jonathan played from the tips, Longest I have ever seen out of the box just a rocket with every tee shot. hit "almost" every fairway, "almost didn't miss a green" , had an eagle putt on every par five and was no further than 25 ft from the hole on every green.

Really an outstanding round of golf.

So here comes the crazy part I noted that he hit "almost" every fairway and green, well we get to the 18th tee box he pulls out his driver and hits one of the worst tee shots I have ever seen a 100 yd slice that looks like a bananna. His next shot is even worse he came in fat on his approach and advanced the ball 50yds. my buddy and I could not believe it, it takes him 4 strokes to get to the green on this long par 4, he then 4 putts....this from a guy who didn't miss anything outside of 20' for the day.

After the first hole and my buddy and I could see that this guy could really play we kept track of his score, even with the snowman on 18 he shot a 63....a 63 I couldn't believe it.

We shook hands and left, we went into the club house for a couple of drinks and I see Jonathan sitting at the bar drinking a Dos Equis, my buddy and I are sitting in a table behind him talking about our round and the round that we just witnessed, when in walks Tiger Woods....Tiger I almost S__t my pants. Well Tiger ignores us walks up to Jonathan thanks him for the swing advice from some previous meeting I assume,  and for not breaking his course record.

The first time I read this, it went over like a ton of bricks. Completely missed it.

Funny story.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#71 etmccain

etmccain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181876
  • Ebay ID:sieber1012
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:13 AM

i played 18 with Tommy Bolt about 6 years before he passed away, I would have been 15 or 16 at the time.  He was a member at the same course in Arkansas as my grandpa so I got to meet and speak with him many times, but only got to play a round with him once.  He shot 75 from the seniors tees and didn't miss a fairway the whole round.  The guy was a real gentleman and was awesome to be around.

I also played 18 in a foursome behind Chris Smith's foursome when he was still on tour.  It was at Rock Hollow Golf Club in Peru, IN, a course that his family owns.  It was awesome to see how pure he hit everything.  He was a really nice guy to, we caught up with him off of 18 green and chatted a bit and he signed a couple golf balls and score cards for us.

#72 BallPincher

BallPincher

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125871
  • Ebay ID:moonman12
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:58 AM

View Postetmccain, on 11 September 2012 - 04:13 AM, said:

i played 18 with Tommy Bolt about 6 years before he passed away, I would have been 15 or 16 at the time.  He was a member at the same course in Arkansas as my grandpa so I got to meet and speak with him many times, but only got to play a round with him once.  He shot 75 from the seniors tees and didn't miss a fairway the whole round.  The guy was a real gentleman and was awesome to be around.

I also played 18 in a foursome behind Chris Smith's foursome when he was still on tour.  It was at Rock Hollow Golf Club in Peru, IN, a course that his family owns.  It was awesome to see how pure he hit everything.  He was a really nice guy to, we caught up with him off of 18 green and chatted a bit and he signed a couple golf balls and score cards for us.

If my math is correct, he would have been 86 and dropped a 75! Talk about shooting your age!!!

I think pure irons is the one standard denominator among all of these current and former pro's.
Nike VR Ltd 9.5 Diamana Ahina X
Nike VR Str8-Fit 15 Diamana BB X
Callaway X-14 2-PW Dynamic Gold X100
Nike VR Forged 52 & 58 C-Taper S
Nike Method Core MC-01w

#73 butch33611

butch33611

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 187822
GolfWRX Likes : 362

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

I played in a 4 man scramble years ago. It was a shotgun start with a lot of teams. The word was the group hitting first on the par 5 in front of us had some pro, I dont remember who it was. I was like, Whatever, lets play!! I was pretty much dismissing it with my team. This guy gets up on the tee and just crushes a drive. I think they all hit wedges on all the par 4's. Needless to say, They won.

#74 Rpardygolfpro

Rpardygolfpro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95926
  • Ebay ID:rpargolfpro
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

I used to be an assistant pro in Alberta and while he isn't the best I've ever seen i got to play with Jamie Sadlowski and he is certainly the longest player i've ever seen. I'm by no means a short hitter average around 3bills but he did that with a 3 iron. he hit the ball sooo much higher than anyone i've seen on such a great penetrating flight it just launches and never seems to stop climbing then falls like a missile outta the sky and rolls another 20+yds. just amazing to watch.

#75 hoselrocket63

hoselrocket63

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125987
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

I played in the 2002 AJGA Canon Cup tournament. In a foursomes match I was paired with Kevin Kisner, and we went up against Anthony Kim and Spencer Levin. We lost 5 and 4. Webb Simpson, Chris Kirk and Morgan Pressel were on my team and Paula Creamer was on the other side as well.

Edited by hoselrocket63, 01 October 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#76 kirkaz

kirkaz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92346
  • Ebay ID:kjr_trig
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

I played 4 holes with Billy Mayfair back when I was working at Troon North in the late 90's, I won't count that though.  Played several times while there with Doug LaBelle (Web.com, a few years on PGA). He shot -9 once with me as his happy partner in a match. Would have been course record, but we played the front 9 of Pinnacle and and front 9 of Monument, not one course.  That was in 99 or 2000.
Driver G25 X AD DI 70
Irons I20 KBS C Taper X Flex
Wedges Tour Gorge C Taper X
Putter Counter Balanced 38 in Senita TR

#77 Johnny Biarritz

Johnny Biarritz

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137765
  • Handicap:2

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

The pro at my old course. Won the North Carolina Open a couple of times, Carolinas Open, qualified for 2 PGA Championships, National Club Pro Championship like 15 straight years, solid player. I remember playing with him and his 9 year old son one afternoon, 18 holes, son out goofing around (as you'd expect; this guy's dad owned the club, btw) and this guy shot 66 playing with no shoes on. Pretty solid for not caring at all.

Beyond him...I've played with a number of mini-tour guys and some reasonably top class amateurs, but no tour players or elite level amateurs.

#78 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140175
  • Handicap:LH
GolfWRX Likes : 596

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:56 AM

I played 18 holes with Nick Price in 1994, when I was aged 15. 2 weeks later he won The Open.
Bullet Hollowpoint Driver 8.5
Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

#79 Jack Pearsall

Jack Pearsall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125708
GolfWRX Likes : 294

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

The answer would seem rather obvious to a Jack Golden Pearsall.
Ping G20 8.5*
Taylormade 300 Series 15*
Srixon ZR-UTI 18*
Srixon Z-TX  3-PW
Odyssey XG #3
Zodia 52*, 56*

#80 rama5

rama5

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1500
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

I was able to play a private course in Brandson years ago, playing with my father on a wide open course.  A ranger approached and told us another would be joining us shortly,  Andy williams came up behind and joined us for four holes, until he we caught up to the rest of the William brothers.  Awesome people, all polite good golfers and boy do they a have  million dollar smiles.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#81 Wknd_Warrior

Wknd_Warrior

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175880
  • Handicap:30.0
GolfWRX Likes : 191

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

I've played with a few guys that were very good.  Some local players that are at the top of the am list, some great golf I've seen there, but the best story is from a guy I played with back in the late 80s.  He said he was a scratch, I'm not sure if he was plus or not, he was about 5'8" and like, 135lbs with a classic swing that tugged on the cleets in his shoes when he hit parallel.  He played a bunch of good golfall day, but on the 18th he hit a monster tee shot (this is back using persimmon and balata balls)  and I remarked something like, wow, I guess you can really go at it when it's teed up like that, so as we were walking down the fairway, about 30 yards off the tee he looks at me a smiles, throws a bal on the grass, pulls the driver out and smokes one of the longest flat liners I've ever seen in my life.  For those of you that aren't old enough to remember, a lot of drive with the old persimmon drivers would sort of spin up to a plateau and just sit on the shelf until they came down.  We watched this ball sit on that shelf untill it disappeared from sight lol, and I mean on a sting straight down the pipe.  We never found the ball, it was over the back of the green somewhere.

He said "they taught us to hit it hard, then they taught us to hit it straight"

Edited by Wknd_Warrior, 02 October 2012 - 08:33 PM.

#82 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
GolfWRX Likes : 327

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

View Postswbyps, on 08 September 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

This thread reminded me of one of the best posts I have ever read on this site. Scroll down until you see the post by PhilTickelson. Enjoy!

http://www.golfwrx.c...my#entry3039225
That was a hilarious read!!  Thanks for posting that.
OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#83 rge

rge

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14384
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

View Postpencilwhipper, on 31 August 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

One of my best golf buds has a smash factor of 1.8.... need i say more?

I would be a bit skeptical of that number as maximum smash factor based on a conforming COR of .83 using a standard ball would be ever so slightly over 1.5 if it surpasses that number at all and even this number would be dependent on the loft of the driver.  Just thinking out loud.

#84 SurfDuffer

SurfDuffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123677
GolfWRX Likes : 221

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:51 AM

I play a 2-day LPGA Pro-Am every year so I've played with some of the best female players out there.  The 10th ranked American player is the best I've been paired with so far.  2 years ago my 4-some came in third place finishing behind Christi Kerr and Se Ri Pak.  Good stuff.

#85 RobGW

RobGW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153325
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

Doug, a friend of a friend. Played for Florida in the '70s, US Amateur runner-up twice. Back then the runner up also got an invitation, so he's played in the Masters twice (once with Nicklaus in his prime). Now in his late 50s and is still about a +5. He was a last minute fill-in for a scramble team. On one of the par 3s he told us, "I haven't had a hole-in-one in a while. I like the look of this shot." One-hopped into the pin, settled about a foot away.

#86 natural_one

natural_one

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144033
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

View Postrge, on 05 October 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

View Postpencilwhipper, on 31 August 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

One of my best golf buds has a smash factor of 1.8.... need i say more?

I would be a bit skeptical of that number as maximum smash factor based on a conforming COR of .83 using a standard ball would be ever so slightly over 1.5 if it surpasses that number at all and even this number would be dependent on the loft of the driver.  Just thinking out loud.

I kind of raised an eyebrow on that one too.   Tiger's is reportedly 1.48 and Bubba is at 1.52 (Golf Tips, April 2012)

#87 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

In this world not of it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 2618

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

Wow, I read every post. Good stuff. Nothing to add.
Thanks for all the great stories.

#88 ThatGuy27

ThatGuy27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108775
  • Ebay ID:chris-scheu
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

this is actually one of the most enjoyable threads I've read on this site. Thanks to everyone for posting!
Titleist 913D3 7.5 Diamana WB 70x
Titleist 904 Speeder 80x
Titleist 695MB 3-P Project X 6.5
Titlest Vokey SM4 54/60
Scotty Cameron Red X5

#89 Onewaggle

Onewaggle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178862

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

Played a round with Tom Watson, very gracious, humble and funny guy.  It was a joy.  He made great shots look effortless.

Also played with John Daly, his short game blew me away.

#90 Teetogreen86

Teetogreen86

Get after it.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5631
  • Ebay ID:Teetogreen86
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

My buddy Brett Munson back in 2005.  He ended up winning the Jack Nicklaus Award a couple years ago.  But back when we were at the Golf Academy of America we were playing individual matches in the same group at Black Bear in Eustis, FL.  He drained a 70 footer on the first hole to win.  Eagled the second.  Birdied the third.  Parred the fourth.  Birdied fifth through the 8th.  Parred 9.  He was 9 up through 9.  He lost 10 with a bogey.  And birdied the 220 yard par 3 11th to win the match.  It was the best ball striking/putting display I've ever seen.   We felt bad for the kid he was playing against because he looked like he just got run over by a train.  Brett played some mini tour events and did alright last year but haven't heard much about him this year.  One of the nicest kids I met while I was at school.

Attached Files

Edited by Teetogreen86, 08 October 2012 - 05:17 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors