Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ben Hogan Apex Plus

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 801

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2300
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:34 AM

Quietly, and with very little fanfare, The Ben Hogan company has apparently released what looks to be a quite stunning and perhaps highly desireable forged CB - resurrecting the Apex Plus name - for the year 2007.  No info at all on benhogan.com.  No info anywhere.  Just happened to notice them magically appear out of nowhere on Edwin Watts.  They look pretty sweet. And of course, here comes the stock golfwrx question: Does anyone have any info on these irons at all out there?  The original Apex Plus were nice forged CB's - I own the 3-5 in my 1999 Apex combo set.  They had their shortcomings though, a bit too much offset, tad thick topline ... these 2007 Apex Plus appear to improve on those areas and maybe more.  As a Ben Hogan afficionado, I'd definitely be interested in these ... but as a true Golfwrx-er ... I require moer info and more pics!  Anyone?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 aloy66

aloy66

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18362
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:31 PM

Interesting! I have the original Apex Plus and these irons are sweet. If Callaway don't advertise Ben Hogan's irons, they will end up cheap like the FTX. What a pity! Ben Hogan do make really good irons.

#3 Subsonic

Subsonic

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2591
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:01 PM

Great!  I have a set of the original Apex Plus and they are great irons.  I hope that Ben Hogan is able to stay around.  They make great sticks.

#4 jimb

jimb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10770
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:30 PM

Yes, they are nice looking irons.  They are also at the lefties' website (I'm a lefty) www.leftiesonlygolf.com
Callaway BB Alpha 9* Fubuki ZT 60 Stiff
Callaway XHot 2 Pro 3W Stock Stiff
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid Stock Stiff
Callaway 2013 X Forged 4-PW PXi 6.0
50, 54 and 60 Ping Tour Gorge Wedges
Scotty Studio Select Black Newport 2

#5 kooch1221

kooch1221

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1386
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:54 PM

View Post801, on Feb 6 2007, 11:34 AM, said:

Quietly, and with very little fanfare, The Ben Hogan company has apparently released what looks to be a quite stunning and perhaps highly desireable forged CB - resurrecting the Apex Plus name - for the year 2007.  No info at all on benhogan.com.  No info anywhere.  Just happened to notice them magically appear out of nowhere on Edwin Watts.  They look pretty sweet. And of course, here comes the stock golfwrx question: Does anyone have any info on these irons at all out there?  The original Apex Plus were nice forged CB's - I own the 3-5 in my 1999 Apex combo set.  They had their shortcomings though, a bit too much offset, tad thick topline ... these 2007 Apex Plus appear to improve on those areas and maybe more.  As a Ben Hogan afficionado, I'd definitely be interested in these ... but as a true Golfwrx-er ... I require moer info and more pics!  Anyone?

There are pics of the in the PGA show thread!

#6 taylormadefan

taylormadefan

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2881
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 06 February 2007 - 08:51 PM

I'm glad someone brought this up, because they look great when I saw them in Richard's pictures:

Posted Image

How about this for a CB topline?
Posted Image

I'm quite interested in these, nice return to their roots instead of their forays into game improvement and undercut channels like the previous Edge's.  Hogan may be going down, but this looks like a good swan-song if they are.

#7 bogeypro

bogeypro

The Original Bogeypro

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,097 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Handicap:1.7
GolfWRX Likes : 176

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:01 PM

ahhh, the apex plus, always will be one of my favorites.  glad to see them coming back and better looking than ever.
Callaway BB Alpha 815 Aldila VS Proto
Callaway X2 Hot 3 Tour Blue S
Ping Anser 20* hybrid
Callaway X Forged 4-pw PXi 6.0
Callaway MD2 52/58 wedges
Scotty Cameron Del Mar

#8 littlepoison

littlepoison

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 12089

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:29 PM

Wow, those are pretty  ;)

#9 rgk5

rgk5

rgk5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3525
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 182

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:35 PM

Get 'em now because if Callaway has another flat year, this could be the Swan song for Hogan gear.
Wilson Staff D-100 10.5*, Claymore R
WS D-100 3-wood, 19* hybrid, Matrix R
R. Fowler Proto 56*, Eye 2+ LW, 61*
Odyssey White Hot Pro #7
WS D-100 5-gw, Matrix Studio 6.1 R
Adams A7 22*, Proforce V2 S

#10 Herm33

Herm33

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20302
  • Ebay ID:mherm33
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:58 PM

Add me to the list of guys that currently plays the old Apex Plus and is in the market this year for a new set of irons.  I hope these feel as good as the old ones, because if so they will likely shoot to the top of my wish list.  
Even with the lack of attention from Callaway, hopefully these will have some nice custom options so I can get fitted properly???

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 JuniorFinn

JuniorFinn

JuniorFinn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20250

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:51 PM

Those irons look awesome!  ;)

#12 DSquared

DSquared

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18146

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

View Postrgk5, on Feb 7 2007, 03:35 PM, said:

Get 'em now because if Callaway has another flat year, this could be the Swan song for Hogan gear.

Let's see, #1 in Irons, #2 in Woods, #2 in Golf Ball (w/ Top-Flite), and #1 in Putters!!  A Flat year??  Come on!!!

DSquared.

#13 littlepoison

littlepoison

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:16 PM

Apex Plus is listed on PGA.com under brand names and iron sets... can't believe it's not even on the Hogan website...  ;)

These look like they could easily compete with the MP60's as long as the feel quality is still there...

#14 littlepoison

littlepoison

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:31 PM

I always wondered about the similarities between the old Apex Edge Pros, these new Apex Plus, and the 600 C forged cavity backs from golfsmith... has anyone been able to hit and compare the AEP's and the 600C's?

Posted Image

#15 Herm33

Herm33

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20302
  • Ebay ID:mherm33
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:54 AM

For those interested, I emailed Hogan's customer service department yesterday to see if I could get any scoop on the Apex Plus irons.   They said:

Dear Mr. Herrmann,

Thank you for your recent E-mail. We appreciate your taking the time to contact us with your inquiry.

In response to your inquiry, please refer to the attached document for the specifications of Ben Hogan's new Apex Plus irons.

Additionally, we are in the process of adding these irons to our website, and anticipate this completing this update in the near future.  

To locate an authorized Ben Hogan retailer in your area where you can discuss your custom shaft options and test these irons, please refer to our website at the following link:

http://www.benhogan....rons/index.html

If you have any further questions, please call our Customer Service Department at 866-834-6532. Our business hours are Monday through Friday, 6:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Standard Time. The Representative you speak with will be happy to assist you in any way possible.

Thank you for your inquiry,
Customer Service
866-834-6532            

Also, if I can properly attach it, here are the specs on the new irons.  Looks like a half degree more upright in 3-9 than the old Apex Plus, with less offset in the 3-7 and a little more offset in the 8-E.  

[attachment=103112:attachment]

#16 aloy66

aloy66

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18362

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:27 AM

TGW are selling them for $799. Should hit most store by now.

#17 Konklifer

Konklifer

Thinkin' of a master plan...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7455
GolfWRX Likes : 179

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:14 AM

It's a shame a club with the looks and rep of the Apex Plus will go relatively unnoticed.  Not by me of course.  I can't wait to try them.

#18 Ogre41

Ogre41

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20279
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:05 AM

Man those look sweet! :drinks: I don't need new ones, but if I did they would definitely be the set.  I hope that Hogan continues to keep making irons as I flat out refuse to play anything else.  If Callaway shuts Hogan down then there will be NO CALLAWAY clubs allowed in my house, meaning my wife would need some new woods!  But it looks more like they are going to stay in the spirit of the Hogan line.  Why release a ton of stuff with a big fanfare for a name that is considered classic.  They should just keep making the same clean irons that they always do and the few Hogan players out there will be more than happy.  I've given up trying to convert others, I am just going to enjoy the clubs.  On a related note, would it be stupid to have my Apex Edge Pros refinished in Satin?  I want to keep them looking close to the way that they are intended to, but I fear that when they are refinished they may have trouble keeping the two tone finish in the cavity.
R7 460 Speeder 682
VSteel 15 Profirce Fairway
Baffler Pro 18
MP60 4-P Project X
900 Brz, Idea Pro Forged, Colonial
White Ice #6 Superstroke Ultra

#19 FadeOnly

FadeOnly

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 228797
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:43 AM

6 years later!

Assuming the information in this thread is accurate, how do I know which model year my irons are?  Meaning, do I have a set from '99-'01 or do i have a re-release from 2007???

HELP!!

#20 Burns

Burns

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52211
  • Ebay ID:papatraffic
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

'99 had a curve to the muscle under the cavity and '07 was straight.

Anser 8.5* Phenom 50s
CB2 16.5* Epic, HDI 19* 23* Phenom 1
I20 5-GW c-taper 120s
Eye2 XG SW & LW
Ketsch 34" Flatso Ultra
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/Burns

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 pleadguitar

pleadguitar

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133450
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

wow nice, I have a set of Hogan apex ftx irons that I love , these will no doupt be killer set of irons
TM RBZ Stage 2 9.5* Driver
TM V-Steel 13* 3w
Callaway BB Heavenwood 3H 20*
Cleveland TA5 Gunmetal Irons
Callaway Forged Copper Wedges 52*-58*
Oddysey White hot #1, Callaway Supersoft
WITB Link

#22 FadeOnly

FadeOnly

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 228797
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostBurns, on 05 May 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

'99 had a curve to the muscle under the cavity and '07 was straight.

Well if this is true then this makes it easy to tell the difference.  Can't believe I've never noticed that before.  I guess I have the 2007 model.

Edited by FadeOnly, 05 May 2013 - 09:50 AM.

#23 traderjason

traderjason

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 227093
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:19 PM

Bringing back an old thread to life. I know the differences in the muscle portion of the club, the hosel knurling, and the slight differences in lie and offset. The questions I have are:
-Are the blade sizes the same?
-Are the later model Apex shafts the same (I know the originals had the Spalding branded Frequency Matched Apex shafts
-Any difference in playability and durability?
-Any preferance between the two and why?

Thanks in advance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors