Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 4 votes

New Titleist golf ball being tested on Tour


206 replies to this topic

#31 Hoselrocket08

Hoselrocket08

    I Am Awesome

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180056
  • Joined: 05/09/2012
  • Location:Midwest
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:09 PM

Regardless, I might buy a sleeve to try but my game is nowhere good enough to play a $3 ball. I'd be out some money after a round.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

1

#32 tp280

tp280

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66017
  • Joined: 09/19/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

Remember thes new release is never on sale, try almost $5.00 at MSRP a ball!
TM SLDR 460 9.5 Fuji MS VC 7.2 S
TM SLDR 14.5 Fuji F1 4.0 S
TM 07 Rescue 18 Fuji 90 HB Rombax S
Mizuno MP-15 3, MP-4 4-P S300
Titleist Vokey raw SM4 54-12; SM5 60M S200
Cameron Select Newport 2

2

#33 Hoselrocket08

Hoselrocket08

    I Am Awesome

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180056
  • Joined: 05/09/2012
  • Location:Midwest
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

Yeah maybe not then... That's a can of dip for every ball I lose.

3

#34 m4tTy333

m4tTy333

    Mr.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92503
  • Joined: 08/21/2009
  • Location:Eastern Suffolk County Long Island
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:m4tTy333
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

How much more can they improve the ProV line up. I don't think its possible ; however I picked up some Taylormade Tp Red w/ LDP balls for CHEAP at Walmart. It might be my new golf ball. Ball is ridiculous

4

#35 Roy D Mercer

Roy D Mercer

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11895
  • Joined: 02/13/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:13 PM

Gee! What a journalistic scoop. Let's see... Titleist makes bazillions of golf balls. EVERY year they have at least 2 prototype golf balls in play on the pro Tours in addition to all of their previously USGA approved balls. This includes those from prior years - like the '06 Prov-1x - which the Tour guys refused to switch away from. There's always room to push the envelope with plastics, resins, polymer rebound propertiess, aerodynamics, paint (yup, paint), etc., too. It's never ending. This is all a big fat non-story until something shows up at a pro shop for sale.

Am I really excited about a pic with the word "test" imprinted on a golf ball when it occurs 365 days a year? Yawn. Zzzzzzz...


5

#36 chiva

chiva

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176280
  • Joined: 04/20/2012
  • Location:Arizona
GolfWRX Likes : 394

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

View PostRoy D Mercer, on 20 August 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

Gee! What a journalistic scoop. Let's see... Titleist makes bazillions of golf balls. EVERY year they have at least 2 prototype golf balls in play on the pro Tours in addition to all of their previously USGA approved balls. This includes those from prior years - like the '06 Prov-1x - which the Tour guys refused to switch away from. There's always room to push the envelope with plastics, resins, polymer rebound propertiess, aerodynamics, paint (yup, paint), etc., too. It's never ending. This is all a big fat non-story until something shows up at a pro shop for sale.

Am I really excited about a pic with the word "test" imprinted on a golf ball when it occurs 365 days a year? Yawn. Zzzzzzz...

Well, how big of a ball is it?
OB and water hazards you flunkies

6

#37 mosesgolf

mosesgolf

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6303
  • Joined: 09/28/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 913

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

$48 per dozen plus tax is nutz.  $50 for a dozen balls?  Pro V1x is my favorite ball but there's no way I'm paying that much for golf balls.  Ebay baby.  :D
Titleist 915D2 7.5 Aldila Rogue 60 110MSI Stiff
Titleist 910f 17  Project X 6.0
Titleist 913h 19 S+ Diamana 72x5ct Stiff
Titleist 712MB 4-PW DGS300
Tiltiest Vokey SM5 50 54 58
Titleist Scotty Cameron GoLo 3 34
Titleist Pro V1

7

#38 playmuch

playmuch

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43638
  • Joined: 12/10/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:42 AM

I cant wait to get another 20 yards

8

#39 Mudguard

Mudguard

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114531
  • Joined: 09/08/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 178

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:05 AM

View Postmosesgolf, on 20 August 2012 - 11:50 PM, said:

$48 per dozen plus tax is nutz.  $50 for a dozen balls?  Pro V1x is my favorite ball but there's no way I'm paying that much for golf balls.  Ebay baby.  :D

I don't know how anyone in the US can complain about the price of golf equipment. Taking into account exchange rates and consumer price indexes we pay so much more in Australsia than you guys!
Ping Anser wedge is $169 US, here $359NZ. Current exchange rate makes the US price, $208NZ
8 Anser irons $1499US, here $2872NZ. Exchange rate price $1849NZ
Anser driver $399US, here $799NZ. Exchange rate price $492NZ

That's a lot of money spent on shipping and retail mark up.

It was even worse a few years ago when $1US=$2NZ. Now it's $1US=$1.20NZ. I remember seeing the price list for a Taylormade 510TP and it was $1100NZ! so in today's money that's $1400NZ, or back into US dollars $1135!!

9

#40 QEight

QEight

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129410
  • Joined: 05/24/2011
  • Location:Finland
  • Handicap:13,8
GolfWRX Likes : 515

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:05 AM

View Postpga43, on 20 August 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

Titleist has been field testing golf balls with their staff players since about Quail Hollow.

Below are a couple of photos but they are not ready to pass out any info on the ball or it's specs/playing characteristics.


Greg

For some reason Titleist does not have a ball with text <---- TEST ----> on USGA conforming ball list http://www.usga.org/...g_golf_ball.asp, so how can it be used in Tournaments?

Edited by QEight, 21 August 2012 - 01:07 AM.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm
Vokey wedges
Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Tri-Ball SRT
http://www.gamegolf.com/player/luu5

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

10

#41 mosesgolf

mosesgolf

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6303
  • Joined: 09/28/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 913

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:33 AM

View PostMudguard, on 21 August 2012 - 01:05 AM, said:

View Postmosesgolf, on 20 August 2012 - 11:50 PM, said:

$48 per dozen plus tax is nutz.  $50 for a dozen balls?  Pro V1x is my favorite ball but there's no way I'm paying that much for golf balls.  Ebay baby.  :D

I don't know how anyone in the US can complain about the price of golf equipment. Taking into account exchange rates and consumer price indexes we pay so much more in Australsia than you guys!
Ping Anser wedge is $169 US, here $359NZ. Current exchange rate makes the US price, $208NZ
8 Anser irons $1499US, here $2872NZ. Exchange rate price $1849NZ
Anser driver $399US, here $799NZ. Exchange rate price $492NZ

That's a lot of money spent on shipping and retail mark up.

It was even worse a few years ago when $1US=$2NZ. Now it's $1US=$1.20NZ. I remember seeing the price list for a Taylormade 510TP and it was $1100NZ! so in today's money that's $1400NZ, or back into US dollars $1135!!

No wonder I get so many requests to ship whatever I sell on Ebay overseas. Many requests from Singapore and Australia.
Titleist 915D2 7.5 Aldila Rogue 60 110MSI Stiff
Titleist 910f 17  Project X 6.0
Titleist 913h 19 S+ Diamana 72x5ct Stiff
Titleist 712MB 4-PW DGS300
Tiltiest Vokey SM5 50 54 58
Titleist Scotty Cameron GoLo 3 34
Titleist Pro V1

11

#42 neilc

neilc

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13139
  • Joined: 03/07/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:46 AM

View Postmosesgolf, on 21 August 2012 - 01:33 AM, said:

View PostMudguard, on 21 August 2012 - 01:05 AM, said:

View Postmosesgolf, on 20 August 2012 - 11:50 PM, said:

$48 per dozen plus tax is nutz.  $50 for a dozen balls?  Pro V1x is my favorite ball but there's no way I'm paying that much for golf balls.  Ebay baby.  :D

I don't know how anyone in the US can complain about the price of golf equipment. Taking into account exchange rates and consumer price indexes we pay so much more in Australsia than you guys!
Ping Anser wedge is $169 US, here $359NZ. Current exchange rate makes the US price, $208NZ
8 Anser irons $1499US, here $2872NZ. Exchange rate price $1849NZ
Anser driver $399US, here $799NZ. Exchange rate price $492NZ

That's a lot of money spent on shipping and retail mark up.

It was even worse a few years ago when $1US=$2NZ. Now it's $1US=$1.20NZ. I remember seeing the price list for a Taylormade 510TP and it was $1100NZ! so in today's money that's $1400NZ, or back into US dollars $1135!!

No wonder I get so many requests to ship whatever I sell on Ebay overseas. Many requests from Singapore and Australia.


Singapore is virtually duty free but the retailers there charge a fortune.high cost of living (relatively) and image

12

#43 Mudguard

Mudguard

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114531
  • Joined: 09/08/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 178

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:57 AM

Can anyone tell me what the Taylormade 510TP retailed for when it was released in the States?

13

#44 1putt2win2

1putt2win2

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116259
  • Joined: 10/17/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:00 AM

View PostMudguard, on 21 August 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

Can anyone tell me what the Taylormade 510TP retailed for when it was released in the States?

:offtopic:

14

#45 pga43

pga43

    GolfWRX.com's Tour Photographer

  • ClubWRX Media Staffer
  • 7,982 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123025
  • Joined: 02/25/2011
  • Location:Nashville, TN
GolfWRX Likes : 3153

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:29 AM

View PostQEight, on 21 August 2012 - 01:05 AM, said:

View Postpga43, on 20 August 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

Titleist has been field testing golf balls with their staff players since about Quail Hollow.

Below are a couple of photos but they are not ready to pass out any info on the ball or it's specs/playing characteristics.


Greg




For some reason Titleist does not have a ball with text <---- TEST ----> on USGA conforming ball list http://www.usga.org/...g_golf_ball.asp, so how can it be used in Tournaments?


Testing is done during Practice rounds and Pro-Ams, not official tournament rounds

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

15

#46 kevcarter

kevcarter

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3616
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 2807

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:21 AM

View Postpga43, on 21 August 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

Testing is done during Practice rounds and Pro-Ams, not official tournament rounds

I think the PGA is doing an investigation ensuring these scores using balls not on the list aren't being turned in for their handicap records... :-)
I could be wrong
I have been wrong before
I will be wrong again
=============================
Geometrically Oriented Linear Force
Turtleback Golf & Conference Center

16

#47 Sooner1

Sooner1

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64798
  • Joined: 09/02/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:50 AM

View PostJ13, on 20 August 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

View Postpdaero, on 20 August 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

Woohoo! New ProV1X comes out. Fortunately I was on the test panel for the last ball, and I received a sleeve of balls just like this.

And...?  how was the ball?  Any different

I was on the text panel for the 2011 ball as well.  The biggest differneces IMO was that the 2011 ball didn't perform as well in the wind at the 2009 ball.  The cover was a bit softer on the 2011 ball and the dimple design was slightly different.

I have played bridgestone ever since this 2011 ball came out.  it was a far less superior ball and IMO one of the worst Titleist has made.  The 2009 ball was overall better and hopefully they are moving back to something like that.

17

#48 Tommymn

Tommymn

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144011
  • Joined: 10/25/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

Yellow PVs would be nice

18

#49 johnstone610

johnstone610

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66958
  • Joined: 10/03/2008
  • Location:Countryside IL
  • Handicap:+1.2
  • Ebay ID:johnstone61066
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

View PostSooner1, on 21 August 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

View PostJ13, on 20 August 2012 - 07:04 PM, said:

View Postpdaero, on 20 August 2012 - 06:29 PM, said:

Woohoo! New ProV1X comes out. Fortunately I was on the test panel for the last ball, and I received a sleeve of balls just like this.

And...?  how was the ball?  Any different

I was on the text panel for the 2011 ball as well.  The biggest differneces IMO was that the 2011 ball didn't perform as well in the wind at the 2009 ball.  The cover was a bit softer on the 2011 ball and the dimple design was slightly different.

I have played bridgestone ever since this 2011 ball came out.  it was a far less superior ball and IMO one of the worst Titleist has made.  The 2009 ball was overall better and hopefully they are moving back to something like that.

I also was on the test panel and had similar results.  Wind performance with 2011 ball was terrible I am also currently playing bridgestone due to the current issues with the pro-v1x.  I hope they do it right this time!

19

#50 smackygolf

smackygolf

    Major Winner

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9577
  • Joined: 01/10/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 283

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

View PostMudguard, on 21 August 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

Can anyone tell me what the Taylormade 510TP retailed for when it was released in the States?

$599


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 Jbird33

Jbird33

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154081
  • Joined: 01/10/2012
  • Location:NC
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for taking the time to bring this to our attention.  Always pretty cool to see how the process works to bring new product to market.  I find it fairly interesting that Titleist is constantly trying to refine the best ball on the market.

21

#52 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

    Powered by the old school

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,582 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51683
  • Joined: 03/18/2008
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 1531

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

Love my B330 series...but will be interested to see what this new ball has to offer!

22

#53 youngwaldo

youngwaldo

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8465
  • Joined: 12/07/2005
  • Location:NJ
GolfWRX Likes : 195

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

I would play a yellow ProV1x.

Wk
TITLEIST 915D4 9.5* Rogue Black 60s

TITLEIST 915F Rogue Black 70s

TITLEIST 816H 19* Rogue Black 85H2 s

TITLEIST 916 CB 4-6 N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120 s

TITLEIST 916 MB 7-9 N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120 s

VOKEY SM6 4608F  (bent 47*)N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120 s

VOKEY SM6 5208F N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120 s

VOKEY SM6 5608M N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120 s

VOKEY SM6 6008M N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120 s

SC NEWPORT 2

ProV1x

23

#54 the.landshark

the.landshark

    "the.landshark... cleverest species of them all" -SNL

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95923
  • Joined: 10/05/2009
  • Location:YYZ
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

View Postbenelliboy, on 20 August 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

View PostJ13, on 20 August 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

I would love to see ball test done with driver, long irons, mid irons, and short irons at swing speeds of 90mph, 100mph, 110mph, and 120mph

Great idea.  Hopefully this is the way Golf Ball data will be displayed in the future..  Data like this would help golfers big time.

Respectfully, I disagree... during a round, at most, we swing a driver 14 or so times. The overwhelming number of shots we take playing golf are at MUCH slower speeds. I think golfers would be much better served overall, by worrying less about how a ball comes off the driver... and more about how it putts, chips, 3/4 shots, full iron shots, etc.  

Getting of the tee block well, is obviously really important, but so are the other 58'ish shots we take to reach par.

Just my opinion.
M1 10.5 HZRDUS Yellow76; 915Fd 15 Rombax P95; 910H 17 Kiyoshi Purple100
716MB 3-P, TVD 54K+60K DGTIAMT; Napa CA; TPx; Seamus+MacKenzie+Whisky

24

#55 cwolfson

cwolfson

    cwolf

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175138
  • Joined: 04/14/2012
  • Location:Avon, CT
  • Handicap:2
  • Ebay ID:cmack08
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

I like the 2009 version better anyway.  Its softer.  Not like it makes any difference in my scores.  Its all marketing.

913 D3 8.5. Diamana Whiteboard 72X
Titleist 910f 17*, PX 6.5
Mizuno MPH4 3 iron X100
Titleist 690.cb. 4-9 iron. X100
SM4 47*. SM4 52*, Voke 200 56* Cleveland 588 60*; TI S400
Cameron Circa 62 #2

25

#56 moonshine

moonshine

    I'm a Cobra convert!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Joined: 06/14/2007
  • Location:Auburn, AL
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 232

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

Promote we are shorter and cooler, and the ball is cheaper, i'm in! Orange would be cool!
"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger."  FDR

26

#57 AEldridge

AEldridge

    #BBN

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122636
  • Joined: 02/20/2011
  • Location:KY->OH
  • Handicap:+2.3
  • Ebay ID:aeldridge12
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

This is why I'm glad there's a store around me that sells the '09 version Pro V1X.
Cobra King LTD Pro Black Tie 6m4X
TM RBZ S2 Tour Matrix 80X
Callaway Apex UT 18/21 DG TI X100
Callaway Apex MB 4-Pw DG TI X100
Callaway MD 3 54/60 DG TI X100
Bettinardi BB40
Titleist Pro V1x

27

#58 attackcoch

attackcoch

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 145289
  • Joined: 11/04/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

Love the ProV's.  It is my ball of choice and like to stock up during their 4 for 3 spring promotion. I'm interested in what benefits the new one will have on my game.
Price is a huge issue, though.  With so many excellent alternatives, it's hard to justify Titleist's MSRP pricing.

28

#59 Sump

Sump

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 195806
  • Joined: 08/01/2012
  • Location:Chicagoland, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

They're bringing back the Professional 90.  Let's get some spin up in this b****.
Ping G25 9.5* Aldila Rogue Black 60S
Callaway X2Hot Pro 15* Aldila Tour Green 75S
TM Rescue 11 18* Aldila RIP 85X
Mizuno MP54 KBS Tour 120S
Vokey 51, Cleveland 588 55/60 KBS Tour 130X
Scotty Futura X5

29

#60 ayres13

ayres13

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115810
  • Joined: 10/05/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

The dimple design in the picture differs form a current Pro V1x.  Last years change was based around an more aerodynamic dimple design so I imagine this is just a greater improvement to this.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors