Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Kansas City Area Courses

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tripod58

tripod58

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176886
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

I'm gonna be staying around Warrensburg/Higginsville for a few months for work and would like to get some rounds in, just looking for any info. Been looking on the internet and pictures can be decieving sometimes. Thanks in advance, Michael Baldwin

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Choppy

Choppy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

Unfortunately you are gonna be surrounded by turds. Your best bet is Shirkey in Richmond which is north of higginsville and generaly in tour caliber shape. Other wise you'll have to make due with the two courses in warrensburg. You literally couldn't be stuck in a worse area for golf. It also depends on how far you are willing to drive but you're looking at 30-40 miles minimum to get to the good stuff oit east where I am.

#3 tripod58

tripod58

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

Are you near Columbia?

#4 CallawayLefty

CallawayLefty

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95918
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

Your best bets are Stone Canyon, Winterstone, and Adams Point, which are the closest Kansas City courses to your location.  You might also check Creekmore in Raymore.  I played Stone Canyon today, and it is very nice.  Probably 30 minutes from Higginsville.  Same for Adams Point.  I also play Shirkey all the time, as it is in my wife's home town.  It's not a bad track - although saying it's "usually in tour condition" is a ridiculous exaggeration.  It is usually in better shape than you would expect for a small town course, but let's not get carried away.  Stone Canyon on the other hand, actually bordered on tour condition today.  I would say the greens were rolling about 12 and were in near perfect condition.  I have only played there twice, but that course has to have the best greens I have ever seen on a public golf course.  I played Whistling Straits earlier this week, and Stone Canyon's greens today were nicer.  The rest of the course was kind of baked out, but overall in solid shape.  It's also relatively inexpensive.  If I were you, I would spend most of my golf time there.  The only drawback was the round took over 5 hours.

#5 tripod58

tripod58

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

Played Shirkey today. Its a decent course, i dont care for the zoysia (??)take fairways too much.  Gonna play Stone Canyon sunday on my day off. Thanks for the input

#6 Choppy

Choppy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

View PostCallawayLefty, on 19 August 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

Your best bets are Stone Canyon, Winterstone, and Adams Point, which are the closest Kansas City courses to your location.  You might also check Creekmore in Raymore.  I played Stone Canyon today, and it is very nice.  Probably 30 minutes from Higginsville.  Same for Adams Point.  I also play Shirkey all the time, as it is in my wife's home town.  It's not a bad track - although saying it's "usually in tour condition" is a ridiculous exaggeration.  It is usually in better shape than you would expect for a small town course, but let's not get carried away.  Stone Canyon on the other hand, actually bordered on tour condition today.  I would say the greens were rolling about 12 and were in near perfect condition.  I have only played there twice, but that course has to have the best greens I have ever seen on a public golf course.  I played Whistling Straits earlier this week, and Stone Canyon's greens today were nicer.  The rest of the course was kind of baked out, but overall in solid shape.  It's also relatively inexpensive.  If I were you, I would spend most of my golf time there.  The only drawback was the round took over 5 hours.

I was a member at shirkey about 4-5 years ago and it was in tour caliber shape. Greens were slick as hell and it was very well kept as a pga tour player played out of there. Then the memebrs got rid of the head pro and greenskeeper so it must have went downhill after they took over. I was a member at stone canyon 2 years ago and to say they are a 12 is a real stretch. It is however, the best course out this way I think.

Edited by Choppy, 20 August 2012 - 08:32 PM.

#7 tripod58

tripod58

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

Have y'all ever played the courses in Warrensburg? Keith Memorial (the colleges course) or Hidden Pines??? I rode by Hidden Pines today, it didn't look to bad for what it is and the greens looked immaculate. Don't know about Keith Memorial, may try to ride by it tommorow. I probably will only play Stone Canyon once or twice since the drive is a little long.

#8 CallawayLefty

CallawayLefty

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95918
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

View PostChoppy, on 20 August 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

View PostCallawayLefty, on 19 August 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

I was a member at shirkey about 4-5 years ago and it was in tour caliber shape. Greens were slick as hell and it was very well kept as a pga tour player played out of there. Then the memebrs got rid of the head pro and greenskeeper so it must have went downhill after they took over. I was a member at stone canyon 2 years ago and to say they are a 12 is a real stretch. It is however, the best course out this way I think.

I don't know that they usually play as fast as they are playing right now, but I have played a lot of courses - including many that have the typical "12s" that are actually about a 9 or 10 at most - and I can assure you that Stone Canyon's greens on Sunday were about as fast as I have ever played.  I didn't have my stimpmeter handy (ha!), but 12 is not an exaggeration.  They were as fast as fast can be, and also very smooth.  It could be a function of the lack of rain, but those greens are superb right now.  And you are correct, Shirkey was in better shape 5 years ago.  It's not my favorite track - it has the typical low-end course dome greens, but is other than that a pretty nice layout.

#9 tripod58

tripod58

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

Just got in from playing Stone Canyon, it rained off and on before I played and it rained pretty hard for about 20 min beore I started. All I can say is i'm glad it did, those are the fastest greens I have ever played on. i'm not a stimp expert and couldn't tell you a 10 from a 12 but those things are slick, I couldn't imagine with no rain how they would be. I'll definitely be going back to seek revenge...LOL... Thanks for the lead to the course.

#10 BuckeyePaul01

BuckeyePaul01

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193212
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

Stone canyon rocks....I'm joining for 2013.  I've been calling drumm farm home since 2006(75.1CR 141slope), but decided to make the change.  Whenever drumm had an event, I always played Stone Canyon as a fallback, and I liked it so much I decided to join.   It's a difficult course to be sure.... it's all you want from a course.  75.2cr 144slope from the tips if you have enough game. .  It has possibly the most difficult pa5 I have ever played. Par 5s are scoring holes, right?......, but this hole is an absolute beast you hope to survive. Anyone who has played this course probably knows which hole I am talking about. The course is a fantastic challenge....

Edited by BuckeyePaul01, 03 November 2012 - 12:26 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 KC4441

KC4441

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150775
  • Handicap:6.0
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

The Par 5 15th has got to be what you are talking about.......  Although the Par 5 7th with its ridiculously sloped green is also rough.  Love Stone Canyon, wish I lived close enough to make a membership worth while.
TP MC 4-PW
TMAG Tour Preferred Locker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors