Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Sad state of affairs LPGA and American golfers

• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#1 esketores

esketores

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120324
  • Ebay ID:Hbarrel
GolfWRX Likes : 214

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

The final leader board at the Jamie Farr Classic says it all.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17 / 910h 24 & 27
Titleist 913Hd 20
Ping G15's with UST Recoils F3
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56
Protype ix #9HT putter

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jbrunone

jbrunone

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109380
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

and this is why most americans refuse to watch the lpga... I honestly cant say any name of those players and am not attracted at all, its hard

#3 Tim Meitner

Tim Meitner

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189652
GolfWRX Likes : 294

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

I like good golf, and I don't care who shoots it.

#4 Goldenhawk

Goldenhawk

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7653
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

Well, the LPGA won't be getting the next American superstar anytime soon.  The field for the US Women's Amateur is full of international players too.  Jaye Marie Green may give the US some hope in the future.  But three of the four semi finalist were not American.  I guess the girls in the 1990's and 2000's just didn't get into golf.  Hopefully a successful Lexi Thompson will help change that.
TM SLDR 10.5* Driver
Adams 14.5* Super XTD Fairway
Adams 17* and 19* Super XTD Hybrids
TM TP CB (2014) 4 to PW
Titleist SC Studio Select Newport 2
TM xFT 52* and 58* Wedges

#5 Guia

Guia

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
GolfWRX Likes : 388

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

I guess the Americans need more dedication and a better Jr. program.  Our Jr. programs mostly is for the rich, we need to expand to get the less heeled participate.

#6 golfingchuck

golfingchuck

My Thriver is 2* open at address

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76332
  • Ebay ID:cp4200
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

Who do pre-teen and teen girls have to look up to that is an American that plays golf? Most of the woman on tour now get more exposure for being good looking than they do their golf, its no wonder we don't have more good woman golfers. They can make more money showing T and A
Titleist 910D2 8.5 VTS 65sx
Titleist 910f/910H VTS Red 7sx/8H Xs
Mizuno MP-68 4-W KBS C Taper Stiff+
Mizuno MP T-11 52,56,60 KBS Custom Stiff
MannKrafted Custom TANGENT Ten-13
Titleist Pro V1

#7 Soloman

Soloman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184060
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

View Postjbrunone, on 12 August 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

and this is why most americans refuse to watch the lpga... I honestly cant say any name of those players and am not attracted at all, its hard

I'm surprised that someone can't pronounce the name "Lydia Ko" from New Zealand.

#8 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

In this world not of it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

This may sound like blasphemy to some but this is
coming to the men's tour in due time. Golf is growing
by leaps and bounds all over the world.

The best players are the best players, no matter
where they hail from. Better get used to it: or tune
out if that's your choice.

#9 PuttLeftHitRight

PuttLeftHitRight

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168147
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

TBQH girls in the US are more focused on sports like softball and volleyball. You pretty much have to be born into a country club to take up golf these days as a kid.

#10 MileHighClub

MileHighClub

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123991
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:25 PM

View PostTim Meitner, on 12 August 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

I like good golf, and I don't care who shoots it.

This

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 LOVE4LPGA

LOVE4LPGA

TOUR GRADE POSTER

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84151
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:51 PM

Lovely lady; quite attractive. Golf hot. If she can play golf well enough to win (including a major), I think nationality will not be the reason real LPGA fans turn off. On the other hand, interest in pro lady golf per se will always struggle. Honestly, is American Natalie Gulbis with one win so much more appealing than this player ?

http://www.seoulsist...ryu_biopic3.jpg

http://www.lpga.com/...503 620x349.jpg

http://www.lpga.com/...png?w=276&h=273

http://www.toledobla...third-round.jpg

http://www4.pictures..._xcYuCkc6El.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak...0_4653059_n.jpg

#12 Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56190
GolfWRX Likes : 378

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:14 AM

Overdue victory. Ryu has been camping out on the first page of the leaderboard all season but somehow avoided the top spot until today.

This win will likely change three aspects:

* Ryu will no longer be 33/1 to 40/1 every week in the betting odds. I kept pecking at that because the payoff had to follow. She's not going two years minus a win.

* Ryu will jump in the Rolex rankings. Again, I have no idea how that formula has been so unkind to her, generally low 20s all season.

* Ryu will be paired with players of her own caliber. She's been strangely underseeded in the pairings all year during the first two rounds.

As much as I appreciate the top Koreans, particularly the classy lookers like Ryu and Seo, it was probably best that this event wasn't televised. The four-way Korean logjam after three rounds would have earned mocking mention on site after site, and some focus on Golf Channel. As is, it was mostly ignored.

#13 eric_b

eric_b

I will NOT tuck in my shirt!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150423
GolfWRX Likes : 151

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

View PostPuttLeftHitRight, on 12 August 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

TBQH girls in the US are more focused on sports like softball and volleyball. You pretty much have to be born into a country club to take up golf these days as a kid.

+1

In addition, I will never understand this xenophobia.

I don't throw down my clubs and quit playing because the leaderboard isn't full of Canadians.....I don't take up another hobby because someone from a different nationality or race wins a pro golf tournament (PGA or LPGA).

#14 Mr22putt

Mr22putt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153663
GolfWRX Likes : 420

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Ya it's pretty sad that US fans can't support a foreign player.
I heard that on Sunday, once Paula, Nats, Stacy finished many of their gallery left.
I can't fathom leaving and not stay to watch Ryu dissect a course for a 62 w/o a bogey.
What's not to like about the Asian pros...some are quite attractive, their English is not bad and are super friendly.

But I must say they should have an "Anglo" name for Western audiences.....kinda surprised more don't.
I think more people are familiar with Birdie Kim vs. So Yeon Ryu...both have USWO wins and Ryu has a lot more game and is far better looking than Kim.

I'm a Canuck and can't say I have a Cdn pro fav....I like pros from the US, Pacific Rim, Spain (duh....what's not to like about Aza, Belen & Beatriz), Sweden, etc, etc.

Golf is not a popular sport for young gals in North America....so we don't start off with a strong talent base vs. other countries.....mainly in Asia...young gals are being pushed into the game.
Once golf becomes popular in China (if it ever does).....young gals will be pluck from grade 1 to be groomed into pros.

#15 esketores

esketores

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

Let it me known I have no problem with other than American's winning and/or dominating the leaderboard. It is good for golf as a whole. My only take is the lack of American players coming to the fore front.
A better junior program would be beneficial.
Good golf is good golf regardless of who is swinging the club.

Titleist 913Hd 20
Protype ix #9HT putter

#16 eric_b

eric_b

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

View Postesketores, on 13 August 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

Let it me known I have no problem with other than American's winning and/or dominating the leaderboard. It is good for golf as a whole. My only take is the lack of American players coming to the fore front.
A better junior program would be beneficial.
Good golf is good golf regardless of who is swinging the club.

You know, it's weird....in my area, I can't play a round without seeing AT LEAST 3 foursomes of women.  And I'm talking about full, proper courses......not executives or cow pastures.  I'm talking real green fee courses.  And, by and large, these women can play.

I don't doubt the stats about women leaving the game....but I find it odd to be in an area that goes against the trend.

#17 Matsui

Matsui

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135101
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

Hard for American companies to sponsor the LPGA Tour when the majority of the best are non - US born.  Fact.

#18 eric_b

eric_b

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

View PostMatsui, on 13 August 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

Hard for American companies to sponsor the LPGA Tour when the majority of the best are non - US born.  Fact.

Actually, your fact stops a little early.....hard for American companies to sponsor the LPGA when the majority of the good players and non-US born and the average public consumer is evidently a boring xenophobe who only consumes what they are told to (and right now, evidently the public is being told that unless she's WASP she's not good) and said sponsors are too lazy (and broke...they are US companies after all....so really, they're owned by China) to tell people they like non-US players, which they would if they were told.....

But you were close.

#19 Timothy Q

Timothy Q

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120389
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

Regarding xenophobia... it's not really about where these ladies are from. They are just boring. What is there to root for? Great golf doesn't have a name attached, it changes week to week. Great golf isn't a person. The fact is that we enjoy great abilities but latch onto exciting athletes. That's not just Americans, that is how the world works. This stuff is just as much about entertainment as it is ability. In America we love Manny Pacquiao and Rory McIlroy because they are exciting, interesting and likable...

You can win championships with ability but it takes a lot more to win hearts.

#20 Yuck

Yuck

Fore!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26540
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

View PostTimothy Q, on 13 August 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

Regarding xenophobia... it's not really about where these ladies are from. They are just boring. What is there to root for? Great golf doesn't have a name attached, it changes week to week. Great golf isn't a person. The fact is that we enjoy great abilities but latch onto exciting athletes. That's not just Americans, that is how the world works. This stuff is just as much about entertainment as it is ability. In America we love Manny Pacquiao and Rory McIlroy because they are exciting, interesting and likable...

With this mindset, Hogan would have missed the mark with the modern American audience.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59803
GolfWRX Likes : 447

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

View Postyuck, on 13 August 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

With this mindset, Hogan would have missed the mark with the modern American audience.

One of the greatest comeback stories of all time. I seriously doubt he would've been unpopular even with his less than outgoing personality.

#22 Timothy Q

Timothy Q

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120389
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

View PostChief Illiniwek, on 13 August 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

View Postyuck, on 13 August 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

One of the greatest comeback stories of all time. I seriously doubt he would've been unpopular even with his less than outgoing personality.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there is enough there to root for.

Also, I think everyone seems to be forgetting that we're talking about the LPGA here... it's not like the American players have ever really transcended the sport either. I'm a big supporter of female athletics but if we're being honest here, most people don't give a hoot about any women's sports besides tennis and soccer, I don't care where they're from.

I believe in the LPGA and I hope it gets bigger and better but it's a steep hill to climb and you're not going to do it without excitement and personality.

Edited by Timothy Q, 13 August 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#23 exquisitechip

exquisitechip

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144779
GolfWRX Likes : 330

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

It is what it is.

#24 golfingchuck

golfingchuck

My Thriver is 2* open at address

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76332
  • Ebay ID:cp4200
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

why do people have to bring up "xenophobia"? We want our Country woman to succeed and play a major part in LPGA golf
Titleist 910D2 8.5 VTS 65sx
Titleist 910f/910H VTS Red 7sx/8H Xs
Mizuno MP-68 4-W KBS C Taper Stiff+
Mizuno MP T-11 52,56,60 KBS Custom Stiff
MannKrafted Custom TANGENT Ten-13
Titleist Pro V1

#25 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

In this world not of it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

Got me thinking. Who was the last American #1?
I dont' mean for a week or so, but dominant like
Lorena or Annika was.

#26 Yuck

Yuck

Fore!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26540
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:38 PM

View PostConrad1953, on 13 August 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

Got me thinking. Who was the last American #1?
I dont' mean for a week or so, but dominant like
Lorena or Annika was.

Nancy Lopez?

#27 greens hit

greens hit

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55587
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:57 PM

View Postjbrunone, on 12 August 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

hmmm.  Contradiction?

#28 esketores

esketores

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

Last year an American won player of the year honors was 1994
Beside Annika, Lorena, and Kathy Whitworth there really never has been any other "dominant" LPGA players.

Player of the Year   / Vare Trophy   / Rookie of the Year
2012-08-13_225351.jpg

2012-08-13_230309.jpg

Edited by esketores, 13 August 2012 - 10:09 PM.

Titleist 913Hd 20
Protype ix #9HT putter

#29 ProjectX

ProjectX

Why do I need a good short game if I don't miss a green

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50236
  • Ebay ID:SlanginT1s
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:05 PM

"Watching women play sports is like watching men play it in 3 feet of water."

-Damon Bruce

So much truth to this statement and I think it's why most people have trouble watching women's anything let alone golf. When I see women hit shots I think to myself "I could do that". When I watch the men's tour I think "how the hell did he do that!?!?" That's the major difference for me.
DCT 9* Fubuki73X  DCT 7.5* UltralightXX
R9 17* Blueboard 83X
J36 CB 3-PW Project X 6.5
X-Forged 52, 58C, 64 Project X 6.5
Metal X #7
X Hot Pro Ball

#30 Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56190
GolfWRX Likes : 378

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

View PostMr22putt, on 13 August 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

But I must say they should have an "Anglo" name for Western audiences.....kinda surprised more don't.
I think more people are familiar with Birdie Kim vs. So Yeon Ryu...both have USWO wins and Ryu has a lot more game and is far better looking than Kim.

That's a great point. I've wondered about that myself. Perhaps it wouldn't be fully accepted in Korea but those players would receive at least a 40% boost in acceptance and separation if they adopted a name for American audiences. I doubt the farewell would have been as warm for Ji-eun Park, who moved to Hawaii and became Grace Park.

BTW, during the PGA this week I got a kick out of the great final round from a player whose name sounds like Soon You'll Know. I was wondering if Feherty or Faldo would make a wag comment like Later You'll Forget.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors