Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

18 degree 5 wood vs. 19 degree hybrid

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TitleistHOG

TitleistHOG

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1878
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:50 AM

Topic says it all. I have a 15 degree 3 wood and a 19 degree hybrid. I was considering getting an 18 degree 5 wood to rotate in and out of the bag depending on the course. What are the pros and cons.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Gallery_moecat_*

Gallery_moecat_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 03 February 2007 - 11:36 AM

Hybrid pros: easier to hit and control, money out of the rough and fairway bunkers
Hybrid cons: loss of distance, possible lower trajectory and not as soft a landing on approach shots

5W pros: easier off the tee, more distance, softer landing on approach shots
5W cons: longer shaft harder to control, not a good choice out of bunkers and rough

I have an Adams Idea Pro hybrid bent to 17.5* from 18* (yes, Adams will do this for you) and can get 5 wood distance.  Approach shots also check up nicely.

Edited by moecat, 03 February 2007 - 11:36 AM.

#3 amishman

amishman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24668
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:13 PM

i am considering replacing fairway woods with hybrids.  i never hit a fairway wood off the tee, its either a driver or iron.  

would a good rule of thumb be - for equal distance a hybrid minus one degree equals a the fairway wood.

#4 Gallery_moecat_*

Gallery_moecat_*
  • Guests
  •  
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:19 PM

amishman, on Feb 3 2007, 12:13 PM, said:

i am considering replacing fairway woods with hybrids. i never hit a fairway wood off the tee, its either a driver or iron.

would a good rule of thumb be - for equal distance a hybrid minus one degree equals a the fairway wood.

That's a pretty good rule of thumb - your swing, the clubhead's center of gravity and the shaft may or may not prove to be exceptions to the rule.

#5 amishman

amishman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24668
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:49 PM

generally speaking would a hybrid give you more distance than an iron of equal loft?

#6 Gallery_moecat_*

Gallery_moecat_*
  • Guests
  •  
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:51 PM

amishman, on Feb 3 2007, 05:49 PM, said:

generally speaking would a hybrid give you more distance than an iron of equal loft?

yes because of the longer shaft and much much easier to hit

#7 parpar41

parpar41

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21432
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:56 PM

amishman, on Feb 3 2007, 05:49 PM, said:

Yes.

If the loft is constant , then distance generaly increases with the length of the shaft:  fwy wood shaft is longer than hybrid shaft;  hybrid shaft is longer than irons shaft.  

CofG is also important:  if loft is constant, then iron has higher CofG than the Hybrid; the hybrid has higher CofG than the fwy wood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors