Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Which App? GolfLogix, GolfShot or SkyDroid

47 replies to this topic

#1 PhillyMac

PhillyMac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146869
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

I have been using the Izzo Swami for a year now. Its a simple device, it only gives you yardage to front, center and back. I've compared the yardages from Izzo Swami to the yardage markers on the course and its always been within 1-2 yds. Every now and then it will be off by a few more yards, but I have been happy with for what it does. The drawback is getting yardages to bunkers, water.....etc. All in all, I think its a very accurate device.

So I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy SIII, and downloaded the GolfLogix App. I went and played 9 holes with it today and I was comparing the yardages of the Golf Logix against the course yardage makers and my Izzo Swami.The Izzo Swami and the coursemakers were pretty dead on, but the Golf Logix was anywhere from 5-10 yds off.

I would like to get some positive/negative feedback from you guys on what you like or dislike. Like I stated, I have no complaints with the Izzo Swami, but would like all the bells and whistles the other Apps offer, but accuracy is key to me. I know 1-2 yds isn't a big deal, but when you get above 5 or more, for me it will make a difference.

Thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 flyersfan25

flyersfan25

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134658
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

Golfshot! By far the best app I ever purchased on my phone.  Keeps track of your stats and uploads all your scorecards/distances with each club (if you measure your shot) and keeps a handicap for you.  The GPS is pretty damn accurate too, I love it.

#3 statesoccer9

statesoccer9

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162701
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Golfshot

#4 PhillyMac

PhillyMac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

View Postflyersfan25, on 09 August 2012 - 05:53 PM, said:

Golfshot! By far the best app I ever purchased on my phone.  Keeps track of your stats and uploads all your scorecards/distances with each club (if you measure your shot) and keeps a handicap for you.  The GPS is pretty damn accurate too, I love it.

Does it only measure front, center and back, or can you pin point spots on the green?

#5 BrianL99

BrianL99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Handicap:4.7
GolfWRX Likes : 872

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

View PostPhillyMac, on 09 August 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

Does it only measure front, center and back, or can you pin point spots on the green?

It measures everything.  GolfShot it the greatest software application every invented for golf.  Golfscape is a nice addition, but not necessary.

#6 Smood_n_EZ

Smood_n_EZ

Smood_n_EZ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89451
  • Ebay ID:dealgrabba
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

As mentioned Golfshot measures all the important distances. Yardage to bunkers, how far you have to hit to clear them. Distance to 'waste areas', hazards etc and how far to clear them . You also get front center back of green. It has an overhead view so you can see the hole, tee to green, from above and you can touch the screen to get distance from where you are to any point. Tracks all of your stats (putts, GIR, Fairways hit, scramble %) and other stuff that it presents in nice pie charts.

I run Golfshot on my Samsung Galaxy Note.

Here's a link to The top Five Iphone apps (most work on Android too).
http://gps.about.com...lf_GPS_Apps.htm

I ended up buying Golfshot a couple of years ago after reading up on Smartphone GPS apps here on GolfWRX.
After a few reads, Golfshot was a pretty obvious choice as far as my needs are concerned.

Edited by Smood_n_EZ, 09 August 2012 - 07:58 PM.

#7 flyersfan25

flyersfan25

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134658
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

View PostPhillyMac, on 09 August 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

Yea it will have a list of yardages like 150 yard layup, bunkers, front/back/middle of green, and you can pinpoint anywhere you want to on the hole and get the yardage to that point.

#8 PhillyMac

PhillyMac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. Sounds like the golf shot app is the way to go.

#9 SheriffBooth

SheriffBooth

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,724 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17355
  • Handicap:3.4
  • Ebay ID:yakima2k

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:18 PM

There's lots of recent complaints in the Android store about Golfshot.  That the recent updates are buggy and that the Android version is not good compared to iOS.  Are you guys that are all giving Golfshot love on iPhone or Android?  And if you're on Android, which OS are you running?

$30 is a lot for an app if it's buggy.  Anyone have any experience with SkyDroid?  Lots of great review for that Android app.
Adams XTD 9* Matrix Red Tie S 45"
Adams XTD Ti 15* Diamana Kai'Li 70 S
Adams Pro Mini 18* Aldila Tour Green S
TM SLDR irons, 4-AW, DG XP S300 +1"
TM TP ATV 56* & 60* DG XP S300 +1"
Nike Method 003 35.5"

#10 RedSox2004

RedSox2004

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 197532
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

Can't imagine you'll be able to find a better app than GolfLogix.

Love the aerial flyovers, especially when playing courses I'm not familiar with. Also, being able to zoom in and get specific GPS distances to the pin locations is key. Highly recommend it.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 tweakedmelon

tweakedmelon

• 162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87367
  • Ebay ID:mrboarderman
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

Never had a problem with GolfShot. My one complaint is the navigation through the holes. I wish you could SWIPE to the next hole rather than pressing arrows. Honestly though, if that is my biggest problem with the software, it really tells you how thoroughly designed the software is otherwise.

#12 SteveL1

SteveL1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59182
  • Ebay ID:sl1429
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

I've had GolfShot on an i-phone for about 2 years and like it a lot other than the time it takes to lock in a yardage. Probably because I'm still on a 3GS, yea I'm old school. Also have a Mobi battery pack so battery life is not an issue.

Anyone using an i-phone 4 have the delay problem?

#13 BeTheBall

BeTheBall

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50333
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:01 AM

So I bit the bullet and spent $29 for Golfshot and it's costing me 1-3 shots per round!!! 2 today when it was off by 10-15 yards! ugh, I have a what I think is the perfect club and fly it over the back, I then walk it off and yep, both were 10-15 yards off. Every time the app is long, never short. So I ask the golf pro and cart guy about these apps and they both said, "oh yeah, we hear all the time these being 1-2 clubs off, i would use the sprinkler heads". Back to my laser!

#14 SheriffBooth

SheriffBooth

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,724 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:16 AM

Used SkyDroid this weekend and was very impressed at the value for $1.99.  It did everything I asked of it.  I played Masonboro CC and Cape Fear National in Wilmington, NC - the Masonboro readouts were a few yards off here and there, but the Cape Fear map seemed to be spot on.  Either way, it was as good as having a yardage book.
Nike Method 003 35.5"

#15 joeunc

joeunc

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80346
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

i have a skycaddie but tried Golfshot this weekend. I liked it and the yardages matched up with my skycaddie as I held them both and they were pretty close most of the time.

The one thing I didn't like is I was never ever able to download the aerial imagery of the course while on the course it kept saying check the website and have a valid network connection. The aerial imagery is on their site so I don't know what it is. Maybe it could be that I was trying at 3g but jeez I can surf the web at 3g why not get an aerial image???

#16 SteveL1

SteveL1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

it kept saying check the website and have a valid network connection.

Mine is saying that now regardless of the course selected too. Not sure why as it has worked fine in the past. I'm running it on a 3GS through AT&T.

#17 1fairway2another

1fairway2another

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137597
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

I use sky droid. Works well enough for me. Now if only I had a way to mount my tablet to the cart so I didn't have to use up memory on my phone.

#18 Smood_n_EZ

Smood_n_EZ

Smood_n_EZ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89451
  • Ebay ID:dealgrabba
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostSheriffBooth, on 10 August 2012 - 05:18 PM, said:

There's lots of recent complaints in the Android store about Golfshot.  That the recent updates are buggy and that the Android version is not good compared to iOS.  Are you guys that are all giving Golfshot love on iPhone or Android?  And if you're on Android, which OS are you running?

$30 is a lot for an app if it's buggy.  Anyone have any experience with SkyDroid?  Lots of great review for that Android app.

Received an bug/stability fix last week and played with it today. It was quitting on me 4 or 5 times per round.
Played today with no issues whatsoever. Loaded faster and score entry and hole to hole advancement
was a LOT faster as well.

#19 Bombn

Bombn

Tour Winner

• 570 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5004
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

Golfshot.  I've bought all the ones mentioned and for one reason or another always seem to go back to Golfshot.  If they would outline the greens it would be perfect, as well allowing variable zooming.

#20 LIgolfdude

LIgolfdude

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109818

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

Golf Frontier! Has excellent use interface, real simple to use, has a list view and an aerial view. I took the time and tweaked the course that I play mostly online at Golffrontier.com. I was able to put carres to certain bunkers. carry over marshes (different points), anything I want. It helps me with course management. I tried a bunch of Apps and IMHO, nothing is close.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 bobfoster

bobfoster

Best Sport on Earth. Ever.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104921
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

View PostRedSox2004, on 11 August 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

Love the aerial flyovers, especially when playing courses I'm not familiar with. Also, being able to zoom in and get specific GPS distances to the pin locations is key. Highly recommend it.

I've had it for awhile ... the the past few updates are actually making it worse and worse. When they added scoring, they had to take out the option to "auto-advance" ... so I have to turn the screen on and click "next hole" after every hole.

Then, two weeks ago they delivered another update - and it is a total disaster. It takes 20 or 30 seconds to even give me a distance when I arrive at my ball, and now and the the distances seem wildly inaccurate (when I'm standing next to the 100 yard marker, and GolfLogix is telling me I'm 120 out ... that is bad ... but it also means it is tough to trust it ever.

I know 20 or 30 seconds doesn't sound like much ... but I play fairly fast golf. Get to my ball, pick a club, visualize, one practice swning, then swing ... i.e., a minute and a half at most generally. So waiting 30 seconds to just get a distance is ridiculous.

It used to be much faster. When I called tech support about this, they told me the slower times were an update that came from trying to use less battery on 4G phones. But to me, I've now reached the point of having a virtually unusable app.

All these companies seem to be falling prey to the "bloatware" ... needing to stuff more and more into every release.

Myself ... I do not want my damn phone to keep score for me, measure my club distances, allow me to post scores to Facebook (for goodness sake) ...

I just want an app that gives me distances, fast. And that autoadvances (so if I don't need it for three or four holes - which is common on courses I know and play a lot - it is not demanding that I'm paying attention to it every hole just to keep up.

People here have been mentioning Golfshot ... can any of you tell me if it will get the job done for me?

#22 PhillyMac

PhillyMac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

View Postbobfoster, on 14 August 2012 - 07:15 PM, said:

It takes 20 or 30 seconds to even give me a distance when I arrive at my ball, and now and the the distances seem wildly inaccurate (when I'm standing next to the 100 yard marker, and GolfLogix is telling me I'm 120 out ... that is bad ... but it also means it is tough to trust it ever.

Luckily I never paid the $19.99 "Championship" upgrade, but GolfLogix offers 2 free rounds using the upgraded version. It was so slow, and not to mention it was off on the yardages that I shut it off after 3 holes. I just could not trust it. Bob, I have been hearing some pretty good reviews on the SkyDroid as well. It's just hard for me to pull the trigger on a $29 app that simply does not work as descibed.

#23 bobfoster

bobfoster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostPhillyMac, on 14 August 2012 - 07:26 PM, said:

It takes 20 or 30 seconds to even give me a distance when I arrive at my ball, and now and the the distances seem wildly inaccurate (when I'm standing next to the 100 yard marker, and GolfLogix is telling me I'm 120 out ... that is bad ... but it also means it is tough to trust it ever.

Luckily I never paid the $19.99 "Championship" upgrade, but GolfLogix offers 2 free rounds using the upgraded version. It was so slow, and not to mention it was off on the yardages that I shut it off after 3 holes. I just could not trust it. Bob, I have been hearing some pretty good reviews on the SkyDroid as well. It's just hard for me to pull the trigger on a $29 app that simply does not work as descibed.

You are saying the same thing I've heard from several people.

The sad thing is that is used to be really good ... pretty much the best. And it is now worthless ...

#24 SheriffBooth

SheriffBooth

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,724 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

I've had it for awhile ... the the past few updates are actually making it worse and worse. When they added scoring, they had to take out the option to "auto-advance" ... so I have to turn the screen on and click "next hole" after every hole.

Then, two weeks ago they delivered another update - and it is a total disaster. It takes 20 or 30 seconds to even give me a distance when I arrive at my ball, and now and the the distances seem wildly inaccurate (when I'm standing next to the 100 yard marker, and GolfLogix is telling me I'm 120 out ... that is bad ... but it also means it is tough to trust it ever.

I know 20 or 30 seconds doesn't sound like much ... but I play fairly fast golf. Get to my ball, pick a club, visualize, one practice swning, then swing ... i.e., a minute and a half at most generally. So waiting 30 seconds to just get a distance is ridiculous.

It used to be much faster. When I called tech support about this, they told me the slower times were an update that came from trying to use less battery on 4G phones. But to me, I've now reached the point of having a virtually unusable app.

All these companies seem to be falling prey to the "bloatware" ... needing to stuff more and more into every release.

Myself ... I do not want my damn phone to keep score for me, measure my club distances, allow me to post scores to Facebook (for goodness sake) ...

I just want an app that gives me distances, fast. And that autoadvances (so if I don't need it for three or four holes - which is common on courses I know and play a lot - it is not demanding that I'm paying attention to it every hole just to keep up.

People here have been mentioning Golfshot ... can any of you tell me if it will get the job done for me?

If you just want distances, the $1.99 for SkyDroid is well worth it.  And the Zoom feature uses Google Earth aerials to show you carry distances and whatnot.  I was very impressed with it and for the price you don't have much to lose.  Distances were updated virtually instantly, and battery drain was minimal.  You do have to advance the holes yourself, but that's about it.
Nike Method 003 35.5"

#25 whtblkdc2

whtblkdc2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159263

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

an app called Freecaddie is pretty good, try that one

#26 bobfoster

bobfoster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostSheriffBooth, on 14 August 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

If you just want distances, the $1.99 for SkyDroid is well worth it.  And the Zoom feature uses Google Earth aerials to show you carry distances and whatnot.  I was very impressed with it and for the price you don't have much to lose.  Distances were updated virtually instantly, and battery drain was minimal.  You do have to advance the holes yourself, but that's about it.

Thank you for this ... but I'm actually looking for two very specific things: Very fast distances, and autoadvance. There's gotta be some app out there that does that (and frankly, price doesn't matter at all ... I mean, even the most expensive of the apps have an annual subscription that is less than a dozen ProV's ... )

#27 SteveL1

SteveL1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

If you are dead set on auto advance, the GolfShot is out. Must advance for each hole and mine is dreadfully slow to lock in a distance. Could be that I'm still on an i-phone 3GS but I've heard others with newer i-phones complain about lag time.

I just got an update yesterday and playing a fairly familiar course tomorrow so we will see if it's gotten any better.

#28 BrianL99

BrianL99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Handicap:4.7
GolfWRX Likes : 872

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:48 AM

I'm not sure what's going on with the guys who have problems with Golf Shot.  I have used it since the day it was released for $2.99.  

I have never had the software crash.  I have never been to course that wasn't available.  I have only gotten wrong distances twice and both times it was obvious & due to a GPS anomaly.  The GPS distances update in real time and I've never waited more than a few seconds for the reading to stabilize.  I have yet to find a situation where it couldn't load the aerial data and layout.  I have compared distances on GolfShot to laser measured distances and never had a variance of more than 2 or 3 yards.

I run it on an iPhone 4S or whatever the latest iPhone is.   I've used it for 257 rounds and probably 50 different courses.  Quite honestly, GolfShot is one of the greatest software applications I've run across, in some 25+ years with computers.

BTW, during most of my rounds, I play music on my iPhone, run GolfShot & track all statistics & at least 10 "club distances" each round.  All that, uses about 80% of a full battery charge.

#29 shockers34

shockers34

• 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 198304
  • Ebay ID:barbero2005

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

I have been using an android app called nrange for two years.  It works great.  As accurate as my partners GPS( unknown brand), and has all the bells and whistles you want and need.  Hardly uses any battery on my galaxy nexus.  Easy to read, shows a map of each hole which you can drag your finger around to any tree/hazard/sand/water to get yardage. Log clubs/scores/handicap/distance with plenty of personalized setting.  Also at the end of the round you simply hit a button to email your score to yourself.

#30 DrCRHop

DrCRHop

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159143
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

I've used GolfShot for the past year and half and really like the functionality (scores, club tracker, etc.).  The only issue that I have with the program is trying to get distances to a specific spot on the course.  You are able to hold your finger on the course and it will show the distance; however, due to a small screen I can never get the spot that I want.  You have to hold your finger for a second or two and it just doesn't work well with big fingers/small screen.

I have since moved to Mobitee and really like the program.  Does basically everything GolfShot does but is easier to move the cursor around on the screen.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors