Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

13 years wanting to go pro...

48 replies to this topic

#1 vokeyloyalist

vokeyloyalist

Junior golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133068
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hi, im going to be in the juvenile boys division next year. I have qualified for the Optimist International Championships through district qualifiers... I live in Canada so I realize it's more difficult and recently competed in the GAO Bantam Championship which is the top championship in all of Ontario.

Thanks, Connor

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 vokeyloyalist

vokeyloyalist

Junior golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

And College golf is where I want to play too

#3 italianstallion

italianstallion

Bethpage Black - 8th hole

• Junior Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

Well if you want to go pro, you definitely need to play well as a junior, get into a good college, and then have access to the best coaches and best competition around. Its a lofty goal, but there are people out there who end up playing on tour.
http://thefairwayreview.weebly.com/

#4 lilmike24

lilmike24

LEAVE your MARK !

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193038
  • Ebay ID:lilmike24
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

you dont have to be Tiger woods to go pro. As a matter of a fact, there are plenty of teaching pro's who actually may be better than some people on tour. You obviously have great game to have those accomplishments but just focus on getting into the best college you can. Let the professional game come to you. Because i believe it will. Hopefully, i'll be playing against you out there one day.
Nike Vr Tour 9.5* W/ Diamana BB
Nike Covert Performance 15* W/ Stock
Adams Idea Pro 20* Hybrid
Titleist 690 CB W/ DG s300
Nike VR Pro wedges 52-58 W/ DG s400
Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C

#5 OptionlessM

OptionlessM

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178878
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

what is your question connor?

#6 peterpro130

peterpro130

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24220
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:07 PM

View Postlilmike24, on 03 August 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

you dont have to be Tiger woods to go pro. As a matter of a fact, there are plenty of teaching pro's who actually may be better than some people on tour. You obviously have great game to have those accomplishments but just focus on getting into the best college you can. Let the professional game come to you. Because i believe it will. Hopefully, i'll be playing against you out there one day.

lol...u obviously have no idea what you are talking about!!!

#7 lilmike24

lilmike24

LEAVE your MARK !

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

View Postpeterpro130, on 09 August 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

Thanks for your opinion ....

#8 italianstallion

italianstallion

Bethpage Black - 8th hole

• Junior Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:51 AM

I would actually agree with lilmike, there are plenty of great teaching pros out there that I would put my money on over some of the 'weaker' everyday pros on tour. Take a look at the scores some of the guys put up in past PGA National Championships (the teaching pro's championship) and you'll realize how much game some teaching pros have.

Oh yeah, and many of them don't play everday...or every week.

Edited by italianstallion, 11 August 2012 - 02:52 AM.

http://thefairwayreview.weebly.com/

#9 peterpro130

peterpro130

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

Guys, tour players are way better than club pro's. Anyont that has had a PGA tour card at somepoint is going to be way better than a teaching pro?

#10 lilmike24

lilmike24

LEAVE your MARK !

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:24 AM

View Postpeterpro130, on 12 August 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

Guys, tour players are way better than club pro's. Anyont that has had a PGA tour card at somepoint is going to be way better than a teaching pro?
Imagine how many teaching pros that have the talent to be on tour, but they dont have the money.
What about those tour pros that have one good week and lock down a tour card for three years ?

William McGirt come to my club about once or twice a year. And he has yet to beat our teaching pro. Who doesnt have the money to be on tour. But definitely has the talent.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 BrianL99

BrianL99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Handicap:4.7
GolfWRX Likes : 873

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:37 AM

View Postitalianstallion, on 11 August 2012 - 02:51 AM, said:

I would actually agree with lilmike, there are plenty of great teaching pros out there that I would put my money on over some of the 'weaker' everyday pros on tour. Take a look at the scores some of the guys put up in past PGA National Championships (the teaching pro's championship) and you'll realize how much game some teaching pros have.

Oh yeah, and many of them don't play everday...or every week.

& how many of those 20 PGA Professionals who get exemptions into the PGA Championship, even make the cut?

http://www.greenfiel...a/GLF--PGA-Wade

#12 lilmike24

lilmike24

LEAVE your MARK !

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

They aren't used to the pressure of playing out there . Doesnt mean they dont have the ability .

#13 vokeyloyalist

vokeyloyalist

Junior golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

you havent answered my question. whatever

#14 dplevin

dplevin

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113631
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

View Postvokeyloyalist, on 13 August 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

you havent answered my question. whatever

what is your question?

#15 dplevin

dplevin

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113631
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

BTW, I know a number of club pros that could be pretty decent on tour, but they don't want to live that lifestyle.  Not all clubs pros are that good, but there are certainly some.

#16 peterpro130

peterpro130

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

View Postlilmike24, on 13 August 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

They aren't used to the pressure of playing out there . Doesnt mean they dont have the ability .

View Postlilmike24, on 13 August 2012 - 06:24 AM, said:

View Postpeterpro130, on 12 August 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

Imagine how many teaching pros that have the talent to be on tour, but they dont have the money.
What about those tour pros that have one good week and lock down a tour card for three years ?

William McGirt come to my club about once or twice a year. And he has yet to beat our teaching pro. Who doesnt have the money to be on tour. But definitely has the talent.

The "teaching pro's" playing in the CPC are playing almost every day... a lot are guys that could not quite make it on tour but choose to be club pros because they can play section events.... to think that there are teaching pro's that could make millions on tour and are teaching for $80 an hour is ...well... wrong... and who is William McGirt??

#17 Guia

Guia

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,130 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
GolfWRX Likes : 541

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:57 PM

The PGA held their championship here a few years ago and I was a marshal at the event.  There were several club pro's playing that had been on the tour.  Some did not keep their card because they didn't want the life style and wanted family more, some just didn't have the game to stay.  

There are a number of people that have the game but can't take the travel, different courses, being away from family, etc.  

If you are interested in becoming a pro, you need competition, money to compete, a good coach, desire to improve, practice, and most get there through a good class 1 college program.  Of course there are those who dug it out of the dirt:  Hogan, Snead, Nelson, Trevino, Seve, and many others.

Your off to a good start.

#18 OptionlessM

OptionlessM

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178878
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:26 AM

Teaching pros better than PGA tour players?  that is hilarious.

Shooting 68 at the course you work at every day giving lessons to 60 year olds does not mean anything.

#19 peterpro130

peterpro130

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:54 AM

View PostOptionlessM, on 14 August 2012 - 12:26 AM, said:

Shooting 68 at the course you work at every day giving lessons to 60 year olds does not mean anything.

Thank you....someone with common sense....rare now a days.....:)

#20 vinny809

vinny809

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109748
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:03 AM

First of all the US Open proves guys that are not on tour can play hang and  maybe beat the big boys once in a while.

Second of all, not everyone on the PGA Tour makes millions like some guys here think.

Third playing on Tour isn't as glamorous as some of you think.  Many tour players end up traveling weeks at a tie, not making as many cuts as they were expected and are horrible husbands/fathers.  Many guys have don't have relationships with their kids and end up being divorced because they dedicated their life to golf.

Forth, some people do not want that kind of life.  Its not for everyone.  They don't want to be that guy who misses cuts and/or has no family.  So they decide to teach instead.  But that doesn't mean they don't have the talent.

Some guys here are mixing up the Rorys and Tigers to the 100 no names on tour who was tied barely missed the cut or missed the cut.

Edited by vinny809, 14 August 2012 - 01:12 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 BrianL99

BrianL99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:30 AM

View Postvinny809, on 14 August 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

First of all the US Open proves guys that are not on tour can play hang and  maybe beat the big boys once in a while.

Second of all, not everyone on the PGA Tour makes millions like some guys here think.

Third playing on Tour isn't as glamorous as some of you think.  Many tour players end up traveling weeks at a tie, not making as many cuts as they were expected and are horrible husbands/fathers.  Many guys have don't have relationships with their kids and end up being divorced because they dedicated their life to golf.

Forth, some people do not want that kind of life.  Its not for everyone.  They don't want to be that guy who misses cuts and/or has no family.  So they decide to teach instead.  But that doesn't mean they don't have the talent.

Some guys here are mixing up the Rorys and Tigers to the 100 no names on tour who was tied barely missed the cut or missed the cut.

& a lot of guys could be playing for the Boston Red Sox, but they just don't want to hounded by the groupies.

#22 lilmike24

lilmike24

LEAVE your MARK !

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:46 AM

What if i told you mine shot 57 ...

#23 BrianL99

BrianL99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

View Postlilmike24, on 14 August 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

Rhein Gibson shot a 55 a couple of months ago ... he's ranked 1444th in the world.

The Pro at my local Muni shot 61 last month ... he's never shot Par or better 3 times in a row and has never shot below Par in competition.

It's a different world.

#24 lilmike24

lilmike24

LEAVE your MARK !

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

View PostBrianL99, on 14 August 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

View Postlilmike24, on 14 August 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

Rhein Gibson shot a 55 a couple of months ago ... he's ranked 1444th in the world.

The Pro at my local Muni shot 61 last month ... he's never shot Par or better 3 times in a row and has never shot below Par in competition.

It's a different world.
number one seed for his d2 golf team which was top top 5 in the nation his senior year. And yes, they would be able to compete with some of the top d1 schools.

#25 BrianL99

BrianL99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

View Postlilmike24, on 14 August 2012 - 07:31 AM, said:

number one seed for his d2 golf team which was top top 5 in the nation his senior year. And yes, they would be able to compete with some of the top d1 schools.

That and a $1.89 will get him a cup of coffee, in most every major city in America.

#26 oneunderbogey

oneunderbogey

Tour Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126088
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

There are very very good club pros out there, but they aren't better then pga tour pros.  To keep your card last year by the money list you had to make almost $800,000 any club pro who says they just didnt want that lifestlyle is lying to you they just couldnt make it out there.  Do I believe there are club pros better then some players just barely hanging around on the nationwide tour?  Maybe, but maybe 3 or 4 all over the country are these are the club pros who used to be tour pros.

http://www.pga.com/n...more-money-ever

#27 peterpro130

peterpro130

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for the support guys...it is great that lilmike loves his club pro's game...hopefully he is starting to realize that if he could play on tour he would

#28 kitsoasis

kitsoasis

fried chicken

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38807
  • Ebay ID:kitsoasis
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

View Postlilmike24, on 13 August 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

That's the whole point.

Tour pros are that good because they can play to their ability under pressure, there's a mind blowing number of professionals (from club to tour) with similar talents in playing golf. What separates Rory from a Nationwide journeyman is more in the head than in ability.

#29 lilmike24

lilmike24

LEAVE your MARK !

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:11 AM

View Postpeterpro130, on 14 August 2012 - 10:36 PM, said:

Thanks for the support guys...it is great that lilmike loves his club pro's game...hopefully he is starting to realize that if he could play on tour he would
I dont care what you say, they are teaching pros out there that have the ability to play, and just dont have the money..

#30 oneunderbogey

oneunderbogey

Tour Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126088
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:03 AM

View Postlilmike24, on 15 August 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

View Postpeterpro130, on 14 August 2012 - 10:36 PM, said:

I dont care what you say, they are teaching pros out there that have the ability to play, and just dont have the money..

If they had the ability, theyd make the money...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors