Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Hot Melt in Driver head

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 diablojoe

diablojoe

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23171
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:35 AM

I need to add ~22g to a driver head. I can do tip-weighting, but I'd rather get the weight in the driver head, near the heel if possible.

I've heard about doing hot melt glue. Has anyone done this and able to offer any thoughts?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 thewitt

thewitt

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7126
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:51 AM

You need to remove all residue and rat glue inside the head, and use a hot melt that does not harden completely rigid or you'll just get a big glop of glue that rattles around in the head.

Mitchell sells some that work fine

http://www.mitchellg...?idProduct=1383

Getting the hotmelt into the head can be interesting.

We use a dispenser, also from Mitchell

http://www.mitchellg...?idProduct=1382

However I've had people tell me they have shaved hot melt sticks and then put the shavings in the head - melting them by heating the sole. I'm not convinced this is going to get the same level of melting, however I've not tried it so my skepticism is simply based on not trying it...

-t

#3 md2251

md2251

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14175
  • Ebay ID:md2251

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:54 AM

It's not too difficult but practice with an old driver head will help... You must remove the shaft then drill out the plug that separates the hosel from the internal cavity of the club head.  Make sure you weigh the club head with the shaft removed.  Once the plug is removed, you should have clear access to the cavity.  You'll need a hot glue gun with a long probe.  They are available from most clubmaker catalogs.  I got mine from Mitchell Golf.  You'll have to practice how much weight each squeeze of the gun adds.  As a baseline, my gun squeezes about 5 grams at a time.  Each time you sqeeze the glue gun, stop and reweigh your clubhead until you've added 22 grams.  Place your clubhead in a secured position that will allow the glue to settle  where you want it.  Gently heating the clubhead with a heat gun will be enough to get the glue securely placed where you want it... Good luck..

#4 03trdblack

03trdblack

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3549
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:20 PM

Here is something I have done that will save the amount of melt you have to inject in the head.  Take some two part epoxy that is supposed to be mixed in equal parts (1:1 ratio) and mix it with more resin than hardener.  I would say a ratio of 1.5 - 2 parts resin to 1 part hardener.  Mix this up really well and add tungsten powder to the mix.  Mix it into a small cup and heat up the mixture until it's very runny.  Pour this mixture into the head until you get the desired weight.  The tungsten powder will make the mixture heavier so you don't have to add as much.  Set the head in the desired position and let it "dry".  It won't fully dry, but will become hard enough not to move around much if any.  It will also be sticky enough so that it won't break loose and rattle in the head.  Good luck with it!

#5 Tomba29

Tomba29

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16025
  • Ebay ID:tomba_29
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:50 PM

Would Rattle Stopper Posted Image work just as good?

#6 thusgone

thusgone

Advanced

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16539
  • Ebay ID:anth0456

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:03 PM

View Postthewitt, on Feb 1 2007, 11:51 AM, said:

You need to remove all residue and rat glue inside the head

i am considering doing my own hot melting to a fairway wood.  how do you remove any existing rat glue?

Edited by thusgone, 01 February 2007 - 04:03 PM.

#7 md2251

md2251

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14175
  • Ebay ID:md2251

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:49 AM

Heat and gravity...  But it's a whole lot easier to put glue into a clubhead then removing it... Be careful not to heat the head too much or you'll burn the paint...

#8 MacMia

MacMia

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18687
  • Ebay ID:elindros
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:59 AM

not to threadjack, but would hot melt make sense in a head with moveable weights like a Superquad?  Assuming that you had a whole slew of weights at your disposal, would you need to hot melt?

#9 thewitt

thewitt

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7126
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:17 AM

Hot melt in heads with movable weights is a mess unless the weights are in sealed cavities like Infiniti's new Propulsion XS 450

-t

#10 diablojoe

diablojoe

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23171

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:44 AM

View PostMacMia, on Feb 2 2007, 03:59 AM, said:

not to threadjack, but would hot melt make sense in a head with moveable weights like a Superquad?  Assuming that you had a whole slew of weights at your disposal, would you need to hot melt?
Loading up a Superquad with 4x 14g weights would push the swingweight out past the far end of where just about anybody plays. I can't imagine one would need to add more weight to a Superquad (or 425 Quad).

I'm thinking the Superquad might be good for what I want to do. I can get it to D2 in 43" shaft and still retain a draw bias, without having to add any weight other than the screws.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Lefty Light HItter

Lefty Light HItter

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106819
  • Handicap:6.2
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:28 AM

Do stores like Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith perform this?  Are they to be trusted with this sort of mod?
R1 Kiyoshi Purple 65
V Steel Kiyoshi Gold 75
Adams Super 19 Fubuki
Miz MX200's 4-GW KBS Tour
X Forged 54, 58 DG Spinners
Scotty Squareback

#12 Perry O'Keefe

Perry O'Keefe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209249
  • Ebay ID:Perry

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

View PostLefty Light HItter, on 22 May 2011 - 01:28 AM, said:

Do stores like Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith perform this?  Are they to be trusted with this sort of mod?
I would look up a local repair shop to get it done right...somewhere where your not just a number.

#13 AGBear

AGBear

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171216
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

View PostLefty Light HItter, on 22 May 2011 - 01:28 AM, said:

I wouldn't trust those Boners at GG to get the correct headcover when you buy a driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors