Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Hit into somebody today on purpose on the first hole

143 replies to this topic

#1 DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan

DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193176
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

Very first tee... We have a tee time and a walk in races us to the tee box because he is friends with the starter and wouldn't you know he gets to go first WITH NO TEE TIME. So it was a bad day right of the bat. Then this guy hit a weak little drive down the right side of the fairway, his playing partner down the middle about 220 yards. We stand up on the tee after having a chat with the starter about what had just happened and the guy down the right side of the fairway is talking on his cell phone pacing back and forth between the fairway and rough. Meanwhile his buddy hit his second shot, walked up, chipped on and 2 putted and then stood there on the fringe with his hands on his hips as if to say "drop the phone and hit already". This a hole is still pacing around on his cell phone so after about 10 minutes I teed up my ball and aimed down the left side and ripped a drive about 80 yards over him. We actually all drove our ball and go to our second shots before this "cell phone guy" even realized we were forcefully playing thru. After putting out I apologized to his buddy who was still standing off to the side of the green and his response was "no problem I would have done the same thing".

I bet that guy is still talking on his phone now. I just read through the hitting up topics and I really think this was an instance where "hitting into" somebody was well deserved and necessary. I wish I could afford to be a member at a private club where cell phones are forbidden.

I mean who really rushes to the 1st tee to beat someone there and then holds them up for 15 minutes? Seemingly on purpose

S9-1 Pro D 9.5 (Tour Prototype 80X Pink)                 Titleist 909 F3 15 (Diamana BB 83x)                 3-PW Miura TB (Nippon NS Pro SPB X flex)                 54* Ping Tour S rustique (KBS Tour)                 60* Vokey SM4 M grind (KBS C taper)                 PING Redwood black satin D66

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
GolfWRX Likes : 327

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

One of these days, these "I hit into this group..because" threads is going to have a tragic end.  You should have taken your issue up with the head pro.  The following statement is very worrisome.

I really think this was an instance where "hitting into" somebody was well deserved and necessary.
OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#3 jabrch

jabrch

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108552
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

*shakes head*

I was playing around with a loaded firearm today...nothing happened.  I guess it makes sense to do it more often...
Callaway Optiforce - Kiyoshi Purple
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway Xhot 5-SW - Graphite Shafts
Vokey 60 degree/STX Putter

#4 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

BIG K

• 6,122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
GolfWRX Likes : 1818

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 02 August 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

One of these days, these "I hit into this group..because" threads is going to have a tragic end.  You should have taken your issue up with the head pro.  The following statement is very worrisome.

I really think this was an instance where "hitting into" somebody was well deserved and necessary.
+1 I understand your frustration...but there is NEVER and I will repeat it, NEVER a time when "hitting into" somonebody is justified..NEVER! The cell phone guy couldv'e had a serious/emergency call come in. YES he should have waved you trough but maybe the nature of the call made him distracted from the fact that he was standing on a golf course.

Your best bet would have been what the above poster said, take it up with the starter/ranger or head pro.

Sorry sir but you are in the wrong and you set a poor example to our younger members,

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

#5 nbg352

nbg352

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,072 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144021
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 962

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

Deliberately hitting into someone is just plain wrong. Period!

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
R7 3w stock stiff
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
R7 Draw 5 - AW stock stiff graphite
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* Callaway X series Jaws 4* flat

#6 Jeembo

Jeembo

People in glass houses sink ships

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136575
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

You realize that you can freaking KILL or BADLY injure someone by hitting them with a golf ball (especially off a driver), right?  Horrible, horrible judgement and you should feel ashamed of yourself.

http://www.nytimes.c...-golf-ball.html

http://www.ktla.com/...0,3391823.story

Edited by Jeembo, 02 August 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#7 lobub

lobub

Don't be stupid, you moron!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114238
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

Just imagine the consequences if you had hit and injured the guy- with your intention of hitting up on him. Say goodbye to life as you know it.
TI Superfast 1.0 10.5 deg w/ Kai'Li
Adams Speedline LP 15 deg
Adams Idea Tour Proto 20deg
TM RAC TP 2005 4-PW
Seemore FGP mallet
TM RAC TP Y 56

#8 Boogaloo_Jones

Boogaloo_Jones

Major Winner

• 4,837 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83989
  • Handicap:17.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1053

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

Its just not worth it.  Its frustrating, extremely frustrating, to watch a guy not car about pace of play or not have any etiquette, but hitting into them is unacceptable.  People can be hurt really bad or even killed like the stories one poster put up.  Just not worth it.  Talk to the starter or pro shop, if they dont do anything, ask for a refund and get out of there.  Your life/somebody's life > a round of golf.
Ping Anser 9.5-Kiyoshi White
Nike T60 3w/VRS 4w
Cobra Bio Cell 3-PW-C-Taper Lite
Vokey 54* & 58*
Slighter Redmond Custom

#9 jpalermo

jpalermo

If I could putt I'd be dangerous

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109574
  • Handicap:6.3
  • Ebay ID:On*in*2
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

I have rolled them up behind them, but never hit over their heads.
Adams XTD Ti RIP Phenom NL
Adams XTD Ti AXE Xcaliber FW
Adams Super S AXE Xcaliber Tour Hy
Nike Vapor Pro Combo DG Pro
Vokey Sm4 & TVD KBS
MannKrafted Handmade Custom

#10 HateTheHighDraw

HateTheHighDraw

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129124
GolfWRX Likes : 182

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

Dude, don't hit into him, just freaking yell "hey a-hole move!"  I'd rather be yelled at than knocked dead by a drive.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Emjayh

Emjayh

Long Putter Advocate

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194698
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

That is unbelievably rude.........both ways.

Under Etiquette....players should ensure that any electronic device taken onto the course does not distract other players.... the guy his phone for that period ot time is a distraction when you are waiting to tee off.

Under Etiquette....Players should ensure that no one is standing close by or in a position to be hit bt the club, the ball or any stones etc etc.

I fully and truly empathise with the situation but two wrongs don't make a right.

Down here, it's a given no phones on the course unless you work for emergency services or are a doctor - and even then it's take the call and make it brief or pull out.

Edited by Emjayh, 02 August 2012 - 02:50 PM.

#12 DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan

DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

Believe me I get it that you can injure someone or kill them years ago a friend of mine accidentally hit his little brother with a ball, let's say he isn't the same little brother., this isnt an instance of hitting directly over their head but farther in distance than he was standing He was off the right side of the fairway near the tree line, pacing between the tree line and the fairway the left side has 2 holes running parallel to the first. I aimed left... Way left and hit.  His Phone call was far from serious as he was laughing more than once. And talking to the ranger/ starter was worthless since it was his friend. I didnt think of getting money back.

My group all had a discussion about hitting through and decided if we all aimed towards the other fairway (parallel to the 1st) that our chances of hitting him would be near zero. I even mentioned some of the comments people have made here on Golfwrx about things like this. Nobody came within 50 yards of landing anywhere near him so it was as safe as possible. The last in our grouP to hit was actually more afraid of hitting somebody on another hole before cell phone guy.

I know some of you will still disagree and think I am a horrible person or whatever, keep in mind this was not just my decision but my group as a whole and even the group waiting behind us urged us to go. At what point do we get looked at as the people holding up play
S9-1 Pro D 9.5 (Tour Prototype 80X Pink)                 Titleist 909 F3 15 (Diamana BB 83x)                 3-PW Miura TB (Nippon NS Pro SPB X flex)                 54* Ping Tour S rustique (KBS Tour)                 60* Vokey SM4 M grind (KBS C taper)                 PING Redwood black satin D66

#13 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• 7,702 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

keep in mind this was not just my decision but my group as a whole and even the group waiting behind us urged us to go

Well officer it wasn't just me who was beating the homeless guy on the street, it was the whole group and the guys across the street were urging us to go ahead.   pack mentality at it's worst.   You should just quit here while you're already behind!!
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
Versa No. 7

#14 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

Button Yardage Book Covers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161101
GolfWRX Likes : 715

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

So if all , or a majority, of the forum members agree you need to be banned for your actions, it's OK with you?

#15 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126874
GolfWRX Likes : 1203

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostDoYouKnowTheMuffinMan, on 02 August 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

I mean who really rushes to the 1st tee to beat someone there and then holds them up for 15 minutes? Seemingly on purpose

Who does?  Somoeone who thinks that the universe revolves around him and what he wants at any given moment.  IOW, a narcissist.  

While I understand your frustration at his self-centeredness, and the unfairness of what the starter did....what you did in reaction to it was dangerous.

Getting hit with a golf club or a golf ball is NOTHING to be flirted with.  If any of your drives had hit this individual you would have run the risk of not only putting him in the hospital...but possibily in an intensive care unit.  Not to mention opening yourself to an ugly lawsuit, given that you knew he was there and you knew that he was in range of your tee shots.

...and I won't even get into the possibility of a violent, ARMED reply(with a golf club or something more powerful) by the target of your frustration.

A better response would have been to simply inform the starter that you are going to by pass this jerk, and start on #2, and swing back around to catch #1 after you finish 18.

THEN take up the matter of both of these jerks with the head pro, or whomever is responsible for operations on the course.

Edited by kellygreen, 02 August 2012 - 02:51 PM.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

#16 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 776

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

Why in the world would you even think to do that, much less come onto a site and brag about it.  I would've called the cops on you if I were the player, the starter, or among the crowd who saw you do it.  Charges might not have been filed, but it would've at least ruined your day.

#17 Emjayh

Emjayh

Long Putter Advocate

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194698
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

I know some of you will still disagree and think I am a horrible person or whatever, keep in mind this was not just my decision but my group as a whole and even the group waiting behind us urged us to go. At what point do we get looked at as the people holding up play

I'm sure nobody thinks you are a horrible person.........it was a silly and dangerous judgement call, which I'm now sure you will not replicate.

#18 DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan

DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 02 August 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

keep in mind this was not just my decision but my group as a whole and even the group waiting behind us urged us to go

Well officer it wasn't just me who was beating the homeless guy on the street, it was the whole group and the guys across the street were urging us to go ahead.   pack mentality at it's worst.   You should just quit here while you're already behind!!
haha this is funny. You really blew that out of proportion. Where are you from?

#19 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostDoYouKnowTheMuffinMan, on 02 August 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

Believe me I get it that you can injure someone or kill them years ago a friend of mine accidentally hit his little brother with a ball, let's say he isn't the same little brother., this isnt an instance of hitting directly over their head but farther in distance than he was standing He was off the right side of the fairway near the tree line, pacing between the tree line and the fairway the left side has 2 holes running parallel to the first. I aimed left... Way left and hit.  His Phone call was far from serious as he was laughing more than once. And talking to the ranger/ starter was worthless since it was his friend. I didnt think of getting money back.

My group all had a discussion about hitting through and decided if we all aimed towards the other fairway (parallel to the 1st) that our chances of hitting him would be near zero. I even mentioned some of the comments people have made here on Golfwrx about things like this. Nobody came within 50 yards of landing anywhere near him so it was as safe as possible. The last in our grouP to hit was actually more afraid of hitting somebody on another hole before cell phone guy.

IOW, the pack-mentality took over....

Remember those people egging you on would not have had to live with any of the consequences of your actions.  You would.

I don't think you are a "horrible person".  I think---in a moment of extreme frustration and legitimate outrage at the unfairness of the situation you found yourself in---you demonstrated horrible judgemnent, and did something reckless and uncalled for.

Taking a bad situation and turning it into one that could have ended tragically for any number of those involved.

So---if I were you---I would stop trying to rationalize and justify what you did.  Just accept that you made a bad call....realize the danger of allowing your anger to get the best of you...and don't do it again.  

Because there were a number of other---more graceful and less dangerous---ways to have handled that situation.  Ones that become apparent when you don't allow anger and a mob-mentality to take over.
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

#20 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

View PostDoYouKnowTheMuffinMan, on 02 August 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

No, he's not blowing it out of proportion.

Had you hit this guy with your ball...in these circumstances...you could have found yourself staring down the barrell of an assualt charge.

Or the barrell of something else.

Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 nbg352

nbg352

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,072 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144021
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 962

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

Would knowing this make your actions any more acceptable? It would not. No excuse for your actions. Carolina was not making a joke. He was trying to get you to see the light. Looks like you never will.
R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
R7 3w stock stiff
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
R7 Draw 5 - AW stock stiff graphite
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* Callaway X series Jaws 4* flat

#22 justodd

justodd

Chief

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61311
  • Ebay ID:vw_rocks99
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

I love it. The game is more fun for everybody if we show more respect on the course. What he did was wrong and you called him out in a non-verbal way. That guy is what is wrong with the world.

#23 Solutions Etcetera

Solutions Etcetera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33999
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

OP… so what is the point of your post? Hitting into someone purposely can be justified? Trying to get a pat on the back for absurdly stupid behavior? Those groups behind you played you like a chump. And while they're little better than you, I doubt any of them would've had the stones to pull off such a stupid move.

If I was the guy on the phone I would have called the pro shop and requested you and you're group be escorted off the course and banned from returning for such a premeditated, irresponsible act.

#24 kyporter903

kyporter903

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 164997
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

I applaud you. This is how golf should be played. You know, with a lack of care for human life. Also, you do realize you could have  hit a 3 iron and actually made contact with his skull...

#25 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• 7,702 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

View Postnbg352, on 02 August 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

Would knowing this make your actions any more acceptable? It would not. No excuse for your actions. Carolina was not making a joke. He was trying to get you to see the light. Looks like you never will.
You're exactly right.  It wasn't a joke, he just doesn't see the seriousness of it.

Last weekend, in a guy in our foursome pushed a ball way right...we all yelled fore,  We knew there was an adjoining hole where the ball was headed even though it was a blind spot to us.   My buddy, immediately ran forward on the tee to see if it hit anyone.
We saw a guy getting up off the ground.  And walk away, at first we were very worried it had hit him.   you should have seen the look of concern on my buddies face.

The guy was ok (he had just hit the ground when he heard the fore) and waved it off and walked toward the green.  But for a moment we were all very concerned for him...And oh yeah he was somewhere that we thought was completely out of my buddies line of play.

5-PW XHot PX 5.5
Versa No. 7

#26 tjumper78

tjumper78

Fore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123314
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

if still on the first tee box, shouldve just told the starter and have him report it to the clubhouse/ranger.

#27 Shiram

Shiram

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126739
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

View Postjabrch, on 02 August 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

*shakes head*

I was playing around with a loaded firearm today...nothing happened.  I guess it makes sense to do it more often...

+1

#28 jlh1508

jlh1508

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104348
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

The simple solution seems to be skip #1 and start on 2 and tell the starter you will finish #1 after the round.  If he has a problem with that then tell him he needs to get the fool off his phone

Hitting into someone doesn't seem like the intelligent choice

#29 tmfool

tmfool

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58511
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 194

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

View Posttjumper78, on 02 August 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

if still on the first tee box, shouldve just told the starter and have him report it to the clubhouse/ranger.

surprised you didnt have starter resolve the issue  -- since he was partially responsible for creating the problem
Tour Preferred MC 4-PW C-Taper +3/4
Ping Tour S 56/12 Steelfiber 125
Rescue TP 21* C-Taper & 18* i110
Jetspeed TS 14* RIP 70b
Jetspeed 10.5* - Speeder 57 X
Spider Ghost C/S

#30 albatrosser

albatrosser

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73432
GolfWRX Likes : 541

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

I'm still a bit amazed that I'm actually reading this.  Apparently the OP and his entire group are pros off the first tee and know EXACTLY where their drives are going to land, making what to most of us seems like an idiotic move, completely ok AND justified.  You won't learn until you actually harm someone... that's obvious .

T.I. Callaway X Hot 10.5* - Fubuki K
T.I. Callaway X Hot 15* - Fubuki AX
T.I. TM r7 5wd w/A.L.E. - ATX Blue
Cobra S3 ProS 5-9 w/XP105s, 588 RTX 46*
B-stone West coast design 52/58
Odyssey ProType #3

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors