Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Push Cart for Junior Golfer

30 replies to this topic

#1 Hstead

Hstead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95600
GolfWRX Likes : 919

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

I have an 11 year old that I want to get a push cart for.  He is just a tad over 5 feet.  I bought an Intech off of ebay and it was way too short.  Does anyone have a good brand push cart that their son or daughter uses that is not made to fit a 5 year old?  Thanks

Ping i25 9.5 PWR 65 Tour X
Wishon 919FD 12*-S2S 85 X
Ping i20 3-UW Nippon SP Blue X
TM Tour Preferred 54 - Vokey TVD K 58
Titleist Lightweight, Tour 330B, Ecco
Ping Anser Byron DH89 Edel Low Tide Fin

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 lilmike24

lilmike24

LEAVE your MARK !

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193038
  • Ebay ID:lilmike24
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

View PostHstead, on 26 July 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

I have an 11 year old that I want to get a push cart for.  He is just a tad over 5 feet.  I bought an Intech off of ebay and it was way too short.  Does anyone have a good brand push cart that their son or daughter uses that is not made to fit a 5 year old?  Thanks
well if you get an adult push cart, you can always adjust it to be shorter to fit him/her . its what i used to do, untill i got picked on for not carrying my bag.
Nike Vr Tour 9.5* W/ Diamana BB
Nike Covert Performance 15* W/ Stock
Adams Idea Pro 20* Hybrid
Titleist 690 CB W/ DG s300
Nike VR Pro wedges 52-58 W/ DG s400
Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C

#3 Golf Rat

Golf Rat

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71434
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

If I use a push cart I will use a clicgear or sun mountain cart. Both work for me.

#4 OptionlessM

OptionlessM

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178878
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

is he handicapped or injured in a way that he needs a push cart?

#5 oO J4M3S Oo

oO J4M3S Oo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162889
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostOptionlessM, on 27 July 2012 - 12:39 AM, said:

Did you read the op? He's 11 and 5 foot tall. Carrying a bag is heavy for a junior.

#6 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161101
GolfWRX Likes : 593

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

IMO he is handicapped if he does not use a push cart. My experience tells me the push cart helps lower a juniors score over 18 holes by as many as 3 strokes.

#7 Hstead

Hstead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

He is a diabetic which I do not consider a handicap but I do have to pay close attention to his glucose while on the course.  The last round he carried his bag he ended poorly with a 12 on the finishing hole and sure enough once we finished i checked his sugar and it was 64.  He is a physically strong kid and above average in size for his age.  He just turned 11 two weeks ago.  I walked for years and switched this year to a Clicgear and love it.  I played fullback in college and have no macho ego when it comes to carrying my bag.  I don't want him to think that way either.  My best buddy played college golf and will not ride in a cart and carries his bag.  I keep telling him it is idiotic to hamper yourself like that if you can save your back and energy with a push cart.  I enjoy golf even more now.  I am a 2 handicap and am not the least bit embarrassed pushing my Clicgear.  I do not want my son to be embarrassed about his diabetes or a push cart either.  He doesn't enjoy lugging the clubs, and I want him to stay interested and enjoy golf, not dread it.  He always wants to play in a cart, so he can drive some.  I hate them so we only jump in a cart on rare occasions.  

I ended up buying full size cart off of Overstock for $68 shipped and it looks like it is adequate for him.  It is not a Clicgear, but he doesn't need a $200 cart either.

#8 semi

semi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138552
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

I think you're very wise getting your son a pull cart. There are many young golfers with back problems. I don't believe there has been a study to see how many of these juniors with back problems carry there clubs - so why take the chance! There is a lot of information out there as to how a junior's skeleton and muscles grow and when - also recommended weigth that a junior shoud carry at different ages...good reading for any parent.

#9 W2_Golfer

W2_Golfer

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162633
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

I'm 14, 5'7 150, and built like a brick. This summer I have played around 50 rounds in 100 heat and I feel great.  And i carried every one of those rounds.  My bag is fairly heavy for most kids my age with 120g iron shafts.  All my golfing friends at the same age as me all carry the bag as much as me and none of them have any back problems also.  I have some bad foot problms which make my feet look like this _, and carrying my bag has not hurt me at all.

#10 OptionlessM

OptionlessM

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

View PostoO J4M3S Oo, on 27 July 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

Did you read the op? He's 11 and 5 foot tall. Carrying a bag is heavy for a junior.

I've carried my bag since I was 7 or 8.  I understand if the diabetes holds him back.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 michael007

michael007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139928

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostIplaxidentlyshotmyself, on 27 July 2012 - 11:12 PM, said:

I'm 14, 5'7 150, and built like a brick. This summer I have played around 50 rounds in 100 heat and I feel great.  And i carried every one of those rounds.  My bag is fairly heavy for most kids my age with 120g iron shafts.  All my golfing friends at the same age as me all carry the bag as much as me and none of them have any back problems also.  I have some bad foot problms which make my feet look like this _, and carrying my bag has not hurt me at all.

It hasnt hurt you, but has it helped you?  I feel like I could easily drop a couple shots a round if I used a push cart, but my ego wont let me lol.
Im 16, btw.

#12 W2_Golfer

W2_Golfer

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162633
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

View Postmichael007, on 28 July 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

It hasnt hurt you, but has it helped you?  I feel like I could easily drop a couple shots a round if I used a push cart, but my ego wont let me lol.
Im 16, btw.
I don't feel like it is a dead weight at all, but it hasn't helped or hurt me.  My ego won't let me either.  I find it easier to navigate myself carrying than pushing.  Especially walking over hills is a lot easier carrying.

#13 oO J4M3S Oo

oO J4M3S Oo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162889
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

View PostIplaxidentlyshotmyself, on 28 July 2012 - 06:24 PM, said:

View Postmichael007, on 28 July 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

Im 16, btw.
I don't feel like it is a dead weight at all, but it hasn't helped or hurt me.  My ego won't let me either.  I find it easier to navigate myself carrying than pushing.  Especially walking over hills is a lot easier carrying.

You can take shortcuts while carrying e.g. Not having to walk around a massive green. Also it's more convenient to load in and out of cars.

#14 italianstallion

italianstallion

Bethpage Black - 8th hole

• Junior Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

My parents got me a push cart when I was around 18. I used it 5 or 6 times then went back to carrying.

I'm 23 now, and after seeing this thread I dusted the cart off and took it out yesterday and today. I still felt a little uncomfortable with it, and while walking 18 is still a workout, I'm making better swings late in the round. So while I can feel a little burn in my legs and feet, my shoulders and back feel completely fine. Aside from the 'stigma' associated with using one as a younger guy, the only downside is that I can't cut across the green like I can when I carry. I did get a couple of jabs from the maintenance crew while I was out there, but a couple of the 40-70 year old members said I finally wised up by using one.

Verdict: I wouldn't use one if I were still a teenager, but now I'm seriously considering using it full time.
http://thefairwayreview.weebly.com/

#15 Hstead

Hstead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

I carried my bag for 20 plus years.  I wished I had been smart enough to use a push cart earlier.  Of course, when I was a kid, most bags were vinyl and weighed a ton and a half and everyone that walked used a pull cart.  The Ping stand bags came out when I was about 16 and then people started carrying more than pulling.  

There is no stigma in my mind, except for the fact that I look at a guy that carries and wonder if he is very smart. lol

#16 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 735

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

I suggest some basic research into the reasons all juniors should be using or considering push carts, including that done by the organization that sponsors the national junior tournaments.

#17 OptionlessM

OptionlessM

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

View PostHAWKEYE77, on 08 August 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

I suggest some basic research into the reasons all juniors should be using or considering push carts, including that done by the organization that sponsors the national junior tournaments.

okay I will

#18 Noles

Noles

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostHAWKEYE77, on 08 August 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

is there a link to the research that you could provide?

#19 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 735

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

Google AJGA and push carts and you'll find the info, including its press release from 2009.

The idea that someone should only use if handicapped or injured is uninformed.

All juniors and parents should be up on this issue.

Edited by HAWKEYE77, 12 August 2012 - 07:14 AM.

#20 KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

KILLEDBYASHANKEDWEDGE

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161101
GolfWRX Likes : 593

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

View PostHAWKEYE77, on 12 August 2012 - 07:13 AM, said:

Google AJGA and push carts and you'll find the info, including its press release from 2009.

The idea that someone should only use if handicapped or injured is uninformed.

All juniors and parents should be up on this issue.

My son's school went to an i-Pad instead of books, eliminating the heavy backpack full of books. Excellent idea, and they also implemented a school-wide physical fitness program with personal trainers.

In organizations like the AJGA, using the push cart will give you an edge over those not using it, and you need every edge you can get in that caliber tournament.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 docurist

docurist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109052
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

http://golf.about.co...olfphysical.htm

http://www.pgatour.c...f.ap/index.html

http://www.ajga.org/...es/12-11-08.asp

#22 Titleist876

Titleist876

NCAA DII Golf - Southeastern OSU

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 203655
  • Ebay ID:Titleist876
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

When I was in my senior year of high school one of my teammates (a soph at the time) was a diabetic, and he had an "attack" mid way through our final state championship round and not only was he in pain, and struggled, he came in with a 76 and ultimately helped us win the state championship. He carried his clubs before, during, and after (as he went on to play in college and was an all american). He was a "stick-in-the-mud" player, nothing special but that round made him REALLY STRONG. He currently plays on the Adams Tight Lies Tour, and he never once complained about carrying his bag. I remember playing my first ever junior golf event when I was 7 with a pull cart, I was pretty much laughed off the course, not only with my high score, but with that dang pull cart! I manned up and carried my bag ever since! Honestly, it sounds like there isnt a "diabetic excuse" for not being able to carry your clubs. Get your son a Ping Hoofer, dont fill it up with loads and loads of balls, tees, and other crap! Keep it light, he wont have a problem! If he does, he might have to start lifting some weights. Ive never seen a high school or college golfer with a pull cart. To me thats like a taboo. For someone to claim they could get hurt by carrying their clubs is rediculous... Maybe you can get hurt if a junior player were carrying a fully loaded staff bag!

#23 tec333

tec333

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27654
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

This is ridiculous...why wouldn't one use a pushcart when you can?  Because it looks wrong or whimpy?  Really?  Dude, taboo really?

Only thing I can think of as a reason to carry is if you want to do it for additional fitness and strength training....

Wear and tear on your body is a long dragged out process...herniated and compressed discs can be attributed to 10+ years of carrying a golf bag etc.  So yes it can hurt you, it's just not instant.

I do appreciate varying opinions on this...as I understand that was the norm you got used to.  As an outsider who didn't play early in life it just does not make sense.

#24 Titleist876

Titleist876

NCAA DII Golf - Southeastern OSU

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 203655
  • Ebay ID:Titleist876
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

When I played Collegiate Golf, our coach would put weights in our bag... Practices were long and gruling, especially on those last 3-4 holes but everytime in tournaments down the stretch when other teams were fading from playing 36 holes, same day, Our team would be finishing strong. We always complained about the weights in practice, but later appreciated what he was trying to do.

About the bag carrying... If a standard stand up Ping Hoofer is too heavy (Which ISNT... They weigh 5.1 pounds) or better yet if the Ping Moon Lite (1.8 pounds) maybe you should just ride and that be it!

Even with 14 clubs, balls, tees, etc... your looking 15-20 pounds TOPS!!!! Unless you've got the entire PGA Superstore in there... Then that would be your own fault.

#25 LULynx'er

LULynx'er

Lynx Golfer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204577

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

I feel like carrying is much easier than pushing/pulling. However, I haven't used any new-age models of carts.

#26 OptionlessM

OptionlessM

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

make sure he takes a rolling backpack to school also.

#27 llamont

llamont

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23304
  • Ebay ID:llamont123
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

To the OP: if your son decides he wants to carry his bag then there are some really good performing lightweight and ergonomically-balanced choices. I'm currently playing about 3 rounds per week (9 holes walking) and I carry a vintage Ping Mantis dual strap stand bag or I'll drag out my 2010 Titleist ultralight bag (which is a sun mountain swift x).  Both bags are featherweight and since I only carry the necessities (14 clubs, 6 balls, some tees, and my cell phone) the weight is very manageable.  I started playing when I was 13 and I know my current setup is way lighter than anything I carried as a kid.

#28 golow

golow

I Gots Issues

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 631 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 725
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

Some of you guys are just ignorant ... I recognize that a couple posters are juniors and one is in college. It is becoming increasing evident that juniors should not carry full bags.

My son has carried since age 5 from 3-4 clubs up to his last set of 7 clubs. He is just now 10 (5"1") and is getting to be a pretty good stick. He now has 13 club set up. He has a Swift X bag on a 4 wheel BagBoy Quad. I told him he can use the cart for a couple of years until he is strong enough to carry the full set up.

People need to keep in mind that there is a huge strength and endurance difference between a 10/11 year old and a teenager.

golow™

Edited by golow, 06 October 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#29 jollysammy

jollysammy

Jollysammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99257
  • Ebay ID:ajjustin
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

My son is 12.  He uses a Sun Mountain Micro Cart, the one with 4 wheels.  Its very versatile, fold down to a pretty small footprint and is easy to use.  He plays in US Kids and Junior golf tournaments with it.  He uses Mizuno MP-33 blades with S300 shafts, with a full bag, that bag is heavy.

#30 Hstead

Hstead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

This is funny, I haven't read this thread for a while but some of these guys are hilarious.  I never once said diabetes was an "excuse" as I do not let him use that ever as a "handicap" even though in reality he is not like everyone else.  I carried my bag for 20+ years.  I played D1 fullback in college and paid for my school by smashing linebackers in the teeth.  I am 6'1 250lbs now and played at 240 lbs in college.  I benched 460lbs and squated 605 when I was a senior.  Maybe that is why I am not worried about what I look like pushing a cart.  I played with all of the college players in school and they gave me one of their bags so I could play on the local private clubs with them and not be noticed.  My handicap is now 2 and I have been 0.  

My son is built exactly like I am and also plays linebacker and fullback on his football team.  I have made sure he is tougher than nails, both mentally and physically.  My best buddy still carries and refuses to ride and doesn't want a push cart.  He is 62 now and played college golf at the University of Kentucky.  He has the same moronic stubborn attitude which I make fun of him all of the time when he starts complaining about his back as we are walking up the 36th for the day.  

To me, the only stigma of a push cart is if you don't have one, you may not be too bright as there is a huge competitive and health benefit to using one.  Like I said, I am pretty sure non of you internet tough guys would make fun of me and my cart as I am probably twice your strength.  It just shows your ignorance of the subject is all.  

My son is using a push cart.  He loves to ride and we get in a cart when we are rushed and I know we only have 90 minutes to get 9 holes in, other than that we push.  He plays once or twice a month with me as he is more into baseball, football, and basketball, but he is consistently shooting in the low 50's from the red tees and I make him hole every putt now matter how short it is and he plays by the rules, ball goes in the creek and you drop accordingly and correctly.  Lost ball and you re-tee.  If he would focus on golf I am pretty sure he could get good, but like I said once per month and no practice.  I also coach high school football so trying to talk him out of playing football where we live is like trying to talk Charlie Sheen into putting down the crack pipe which I think some of you may be on if you still think it is "taboo" to use a push cart.  My teacher caoches the Alabama Womens golf team and they just won the National Championship with half the team using push carts.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors