Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 3 votes

PING Anser Irons – Story, Video, and Pictures Inside!

PING Anser Irons

  • Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#31 JinxyJ08

JinxyJ08

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80392
  • Joined: 04/17/2009
  • Location:Dublin, Ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

View PostJoHowdy123, on 25 July 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

OH BUDDY! Game on.. .lol

EXACTLY my thoughts


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 topr

topr

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124780
  • Joined: 03/18/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 241

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

1500.00...who's doing the forging, Tiffany?

#33 jnradioactive

jnradioactive

    JNRadio

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44297
  • Joined: 12/21/2007
  • Location:New Jersey
GolfWRX Likes : 561

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

View Posttopr, on 25 July 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

1500.00...who's doing the forging, Tiffany?

Hattori Hanzō... he swore he would never forge again...

Edited by jnradioactive, 25 July 2012 - 04:35 PM.


#34 craz-e

craz-e

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39596
  • Joined: 09/19/2007
  • Location:Cairns QLD, Australia
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

Look better than the originals but they don't wow me, still holding out for the S55's.

#35 moonshine

moonshine

    The Trace!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Joined: 06/14/2007
  • Location:Prattville, AL
  • Ebay ID:chasj_r1
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

You can get the i20 irons, fw, and a hybrid for that price.  I praised Ping for their price point on the i20...so I guess they are making it back on these.  Gave me sticker shock for sure!  I hit a demo 7 or the current anser and to me the forged feel just was not there yet.  Spoiled by Mizuno...again.


#36 moonshine

moonshine

    The Trace!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Joined: 06/14/2007
  • Location:Prattville, AL
  • Ebay ID:chasj_r1
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

View Postjnradioactive, on 25 July 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

View Posttopr, on 25 July 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

1500.00...who's doing the forging, Tiffany?

Hattori Hanzō... he swore he would never forge again...

LOL...watched it again the other night...that is some sharp fine steel!

#37 hvilletn

hvilletn

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118599
  • Joined: 12/07/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

These are nice but they better have heads for the fitting cart so you can maximize your alternatives with the premium shafts.  I wouldn't consider the previous ones because I couldn't demo anything but a black dot 7 iron in a CFS shaft.  They will have to be super nice to kick out my S56s.  I still think the S56s are some of the sweetest sticks I have ever played with.  Looking forward to the S55 to be honest.  Hard to imagine lots of improvements to the S56.

#38 EngGolf

EngGolf

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128764
  • Joined: 05/15/2011
  • Location:Utah
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

View PostSouthPaw87, on 25 July 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

Wonder what kind of price tag these puppies will carry... Look nice!
Looks like they'll be about $1,450 3-pw w/PX steel shafts.  That hurts.  I really love these, but gonna be hard convincing the wife when my last set of Mizuno MP 53's were close to half that price.  Not sure why Mizuno can produce amazing forgings for half the price of Ping.  I understand that labor is cheaper in Japan than the US, but I doubt these Pings are forged in the US.

Does anyone know where these are forged?

I'd pay the extra chunk of cash for a true-blue Phoenix, AZ/US forged iron.  I'm all about supporting US manufacturing efforts.

#39 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
  • Joined: 10/06/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 960

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

The good thing about Ping is that their clubs hold value better than any other on the market.  It's a still tough pill to swallow a $1500 set of irons..

#40 Bob57

Bob57

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103973
  • Joined: 02/25/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

I would be surprised if the KBS C Tapers are a no cost upgrade.  Ping is currently charging around $35 a stick to put those in i20s and S56s.  That is as of last week... I might have to disagree with the statement a little tungsten in the sole, rather a whole lot of tungsten in the sole....I guess Ping has permanently switched to those dinky little ferrules (might as well leave them off)..  Would love to hear their rational behind forging 8620 instead of 1025

Edited by Bob57, 25 July 2012 - 07:21 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#41 SALUKI LEFTY

SALUKI LEFTY

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 78673
  • Joined: 03/29/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

Nice write up, pics, etc.

I like my AP2's better from a looks standpoint though.   I bought a set of the origanal Ansers last year and wasn't impressed so will have to pass on these.

Fairway woods look nice though.

#42 eerogolf

eerogolf

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41874
  • Joined: 11/06/2007
  • Location:Castle Rock CO
  • Ebay ID:eerogolf
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:10 PM

View PostBob57, on 25 July 2012 - 07:16 PM, said:

I would be surprised if the KBS C Tapers are a no cost upgrade.  Ping is currently charging around $35 a stick to put those in i20s and S56s.  That is as of last week... I might have to disagree with the statement a little tungsten in the sole, rather a whole lot of tungsten in the sole....I guess Ping has permanently switched to those dinky little ferrules (might as well leave them off)..  Would love to hear their rational behind forging 8620 instead of 1025

I would hope that the C-Taper shafts are no upcharge. Getting my new Ping S56 irons in tomorrow since I sold the old ones when I was back in The Netherlands.  My old S56 irons had the KBS Tour X-Flex. Getting the new S56 irons with C-Taper X-Flex I wish I had waited because these irons are very similar to the S56 and something I was waiting for. The forgiveness between the S56 and the i20 irons. Feel like the 3 iron on the i20 irons has a sole that is to big. I can see it when I set-up the club.

#43 W2_Golfer

W2_Golfer

    Advanced

  • Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162633
  • Joined: 02/12/2012
  • Location:Houston, Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

Crazy price, why so high? Is it just because its forged?

#44 scratchswinger

scratchswinger

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 9,262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37417
  • Joined: 08/15/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 2350

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

They look 10x better than the originals and the no shaft up charge is a nice touch for their price point.

For $1,400 you will have to love these. You can get some premium JDM irons for that price.

#45 tbowles411

tbowles411

    I've always liked this pic. :)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Joined: 08/30/2005
  • Location:Northern Virginia
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1692

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

That price is going to put them out of reach for a lot of folks.  But man, they look better than I thought.  I stand corrected.


#46 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

    The Hans Gruber

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,082 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Joined: 11/01/2008
  • Location:Montreal
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4467

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

How did the original Ansers sell? I don't know anyone who owned them. Very few people on this site seemed to play them too.

1500 is a lot for irons, especially Pings. Kind of like golf's version of the volkswagon Phaeton
Cobra Amp Cell 8.5 w/Fuel
Cobra Baffler Pro 16 w/Axivcore Green 96
Ping G15 20* hybrid w/C taper
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Ping Eye2 XG 56 and 60 w/KBS Tour
Ping IWI Craze

#47 golfware

golfware

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439
  • Joined: 04/30/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

View PostSheriffBooth, on 25 July 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

View Posttygill2001, on 25 July 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

Too much offset, all about the new Cobra Amp Forged those are what forged player cb should look like minus the Orange of course

Too much offset, really?  The 7-PW in the Anser have less offset than Titleist CB's and the same as Titleist MB's, and the longer irons have similar offset to AP2's.  Cobra AMP Forged offset specs are not online, but I have trouble believing they are less offset than these.

Thank you for clearing that up!!  The offset is easy to see and it's perfect. Too much offset??  Seriously.  That's kinda funny.

#48 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
  • Joined: 10/06/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 960

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:36 PM

View Posttbowles411, on 25 July 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

That price is going to put them out of reach for a lot of folks.  But man, they look better than I thought.  I stand corrected.

I knew you were going to change your mind once you laid eyes on these.

#49 scratchswinger

scratchswinger

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 9,262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37417
  • Joined: 08/15/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 2350

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 25 July 2012 - 08:34 PM, said:

How did the original Ansers sell? I don't know anyone who owned them. Very few people on this site seemed to play them too.

1500 is a lot for irons, especially Pings. Kind of like golf's version of the volkswagon Phaeton

LOL

The originals did not sell good at all.

#50 tbowles411

tbowles411

    I've always liked this pic. :)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Joined: 08/30/2005
  • Location:Northern Virginia
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1692

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 25 July 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

View Posttbowles411, on 25 July 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

That price is going to put them out of reach for a lot of folks.  But man, they look better than I thought.  I stand corrected.

I knew you were going to change your mind once you laid eyes on these.
But these are out of reach financially i think.  Plus I think I want my MOI a little lower...


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 smiley9929

smiley9929

    t u r n i t !

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149051
  • Joined: 11/29/2011
  • Location:Northeast
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

Very nice looking clubs.

#52 tbowles411

tbowles411

    I've always liked this pic. :)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Joined: 08/30/2005
  • Location:Northern Virginia
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1692

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

View Postgolfware, on 25 July 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

View PostSheriffBooth, on 25 July 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

View Posttygill2001, on 25 July 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

Too much offset, all about the new Cobra Amp Forged those are what forged player cb should look like minus the Orange of course

Too much offset, really?  The 7-PW in the Anser have less offset than Titleist CB's and the same as Titleist MB's, and the longer irons have similar offset to AP2's.  Cobra AMP Forged offset specs are not online, but I have trouble believing they are less offset than these.

Thank you for clearing that up!!  The offset is easy to see and it's perfect. Too much offset??  Seriously.  That's kinda funny.
Silly me.  I'm a little worried I might need a little more...

#53 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
  • Joined: 10/06/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 960

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

View Posttbowles411, on 25 July 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 25 July 2012 - 08:36 PM, said:

View Posttbowles411, on 25 July 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

That price is going to put them out of reach for a lot of folks.  But man, they look better than I thought.  I stand corrected.

I knew you were going to change your mind once you laid eyes on these.
But these are out of reach financially i think.  Plus I think I want my MOI a little lower...

Lol.  You just kill me...

#54 golf9596

golf9596

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 884
  • Joined: 05/25/2005
  • Location:USA
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Time to bst all my extras and save my bonus money...I'm going to need it when these get released. LOL
SLDR 12* Attas 3-S
SLDR HL-16*-stock -X
Adams 19* Hybrid w/ Proforce Black-S
Callaway Apex Pro..C-Tapper-S
Scotty Newport Button Back….….
Callaway Macdaddy2 52*/58*

#55 Ruleschamp

Ruleschamp

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68618
  • Joined: 11/03/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

I'm confused.  On the Ping chat tonight, the Ping rep said the Anser driver, fairways and hybrids are positioned between the i20 and G20 lines, while the irons are positioned between the S56's and i20s.   Wouldn't you design the whole line to fit in one segment for marketing purposes instead of split between players (irons) and game improvement (everything else)?


#56 m4tTy333

m4tTy333

    Mr.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92503
  • Joined: 08/21/2009
  • Location:Eastern Suffolk County Long Island
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:m4tTy333
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

Nice looking set of sticks, and I'm sure they're awesome.  However, they look the same as every other "players iron" on the Ping market

#57 W2_Golfer

W2_Golfer

    Advanced

  • Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162633
  • Joined: 02/12/2012
  • Location:Houston, Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

View PostRuleschamp, on 25 July 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

I'm confused.  On the Ping chat tonight, the Ping rep said the Anser driver, fairways and hybrids are positioned between the i20 and G20 lines, while the irons are positioned between the S56's and i20s.   Wouldn't you design the whole line to fit in one segment for marketing purposes instead of split between players (irons) and game improvement (everything else)?
My guess is that they think the i20 irons are more GI, while the woods are more on the player end.

#58 Redman

Redman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122710
  • Joined: 02/21/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

View PostIplaxidentlyshotmyself, on 25 July 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

View PostRuleschamp, on 25 July 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

I'm confused.  On the Ping chat tonight, the Ping rep said the Anser driver, fairways and hybrids are positioned between the i20 and G20 lines, while the irons are positioned between the S56's and i20s.   Wouldn't you design the whole line to fit in one segment for marketing purposes instead of split between players (irons) and game improvement (everything else)?
My guess is that they think the i20 irons are more GI, while the woods are more on the player end.


Don't most of the tour guys use the G series for their woods?

#59 W2_Golfer

W2_Golfer

    Advanced

  • Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162633
  • Joined: 02/12/2012
  • Location:Houston, Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

View PostRedman, on 25 July 2012 - 10:30 PM, said:

View PostIplaxidentlyshotmyself, on 25 July 2012 - 10:03 PM, said:

View PostRuleschamp, on 25 July 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

I'm confused.  On the Ping chat tonight, the Ping rep said the Anser driver, fairways and hybrids are positioned between the i20 and G20 lines, while the irons are positioned between the S56's and i20s.   Wouldn't you design the whole line to fit in one segment for marketing purposes instead of split between players (irons) and game improvement (everything else)?
My guess is that they think the i20 irons are more GI, while the woods are more on the player end.


Don't most of the tour guys use the G series for their woods?
Personal preference.

#60 typhoonoid

typhoonoid

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133481
  • Joined: 07/19/2011
  • Ebay ID:typhoonoid
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

forged by miura? lol jk


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.





Also tagged with PING, Anser, Irons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors